NotebookTalk

Dell Precision 7670 & Dell Precision 7770 owner's thread

14 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Even the top 5 scores are around 14.5K, still very good but not 15K:

interesting, i am showing 14526 for gpu score and 16850 for cpu score for 3080Ti (notebook) with 12950HX top score, note score 4 showing over 17.5k on the cpu score,
top 5 are all pushing almost 15k, 

image.thumb.png.78d724762c05f49302a97d7f55ddd1f1.png

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

12 hours ago, DarginMahkum said:

I was able to achieve around 16500 using 3090 + TB and 12900H Razer Blade. Although I like the idea of direct PCIe connection, being able to safely and easily plug/unplug while the computer is running is something prefer over a performance jump. I am not planning to get a 4090 or anything, so I can live with this performance for now - though I am dying to try it. 😛
image.thumb.png.855b68bc1205abff20bca2a823c993cb.png

If you are curious it is not a lot of money you have to invest:

https://tinyurl.com/JHH-Dock

You can get a cable that inserts instead of an NVME SSD or another one that takes the place of a network card - might even be the best solution for people who only have 2 NVME slots which is the (pathetic) norm today.

Looking at your numbers I would probably be most tempted if you have the same issues with some games severely underperforming that about everybody seems to have with TB connections. If that isn't an issue you may not be that excited to "only" go from ca. 16.4K to somewhere between 18 and 19K GPU score.

On the other hand with Nvidia staying its anemic course even for next generation GPUs it may be hard to surpass that as 175W TGP and inferior chips seem destined to make sure that the gap between 4090 desktop and mobile is soon rivaling the Grand Canyon.

• Thumb Up 2

22 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

I would probably be most tempted if you have the same issues with some games severely underperforming

i returned my 7670 and awaiting a 7770 replacement with hopes it has a better thermal overhead,
in my case the entire system was underperforming as soon as a load is introduced everything is almost instantly ramped down to crawling speeds natively to contain the heat, which result in extremely hot and slow system that cant really utilize its hardware, 

if you tinker deeper into these top 3DMARK results you will find they are running the same model gaming laptop from ASUS, same hardware specs as our cpu and gpu, only they are able to get these results without external gpu support, the 3080Ti alone is priced over $2k in Dell's configuration (that's less than external 4090 with enclosure and a chunk change left), to not be able to fully use it even with its 125/150w cap (7670/7770) is just not good business imho, all due to poor thermal design which clearly working on other less expensive less presumptuous platforms when implemented properly and without cutting corners,

• Thumb Up 2

3 minutes ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

interesting, i am showing 14526 for gpu score and 16850 for cpu score for 3080Ti (notebook) with 12950HX top score, note score 4 showing over 17k on the cpu score,
top 5 are all pushing almost 15k, 

image.thumb.png.78d724762c05f49302a97d7f55ddd1f1.png

That's because you are looking at the overall score, not the GPU score 🙂

On the left you can sort by highest overall, GPU and CPU score, that will show you the highest GPU score.

• Thumb Up 1

8 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

That's because you are looking at the overall score

indeed i have it sorted by overall highest score, then i examine individual cpu/gpu scores in each overall score,
if i sort by highest graphics score highest is 14526, if i sort by highest cpu score highest is 17513,

• Thumb Up 1

25 minutes ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

i returned my 7670 and awaiting a 7770 replacement with hopes it has a better thermal overhead,
in my case the entire system was underperforming as soon as a load is introduced everything is almost instantly ramped down to crawling speeds natively to contain the heat, which result in extremely hot and slow system that cant really utilize its hardware, 

if you tinker deeper into these top 3DMARK results you will find they are running the same model gaming laptop from ASUS, same hardware specs as our cpu and gpu, only they are able to get these results without external gpu support, the 3080Ti alone is priced over $2k in Dell's configuration (that's less than external 4090 with enclosure and a chunk change left), to not be able to fully use it even with its 125/150w cap (7670/7770) is just not good business imho, all due to poor thermal design which clearly working on other less expensive less presumptuous platforms when implemented properly and without cutting corners,

Pretty sure that Dell is limiting combined load too much to achieve truly impressive results in gaming benchmarks. 

With no or a small GPU I can see it achieving better CPU performance with the top of the line heatsink but that is about it.

So chasing top performance for the internal 3080 Ti will probably be futile but maybe you will surprise us 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

16 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Pretty sure that Dell is limiting combined load

they have no choice with the puny 240w power supply, these systems on 3DMARK all equipped with 330w power supply and a vapor chamber that can withhold high stress temps for long durations as any glorified workstation should,

16 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

chasing top performance for the internal 3080 Ti will probably be futile

I strongly suspect you are right :classic_unsure:
if I could get the 7770 with 3080Ti to score roughly 10% lower then these top score i would keep it,

seeing your scores with external gpu I'm having second thoughts now, maybe i should just go external 4090 route, though that would defeat the whole point of having a true mobile workstation with gpu powerhouse onboard :classic_wacko:

23 minutes ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

Because of the thermals, I will go either for HP Fury G9 (most probably) or Lenovo P16. Fury has vapor chamber with good performance, 4 nvme slots and quite a good configuration. Only problem is in Germany I cannot have a display other than 1920x1200, and many of the configuration options HP has in the US is not available here. Also the prices are around 20% more expensive. I found one with 4K (though I much prefer 2560x1600) a big IT company is selling preconfigured but it has A3000 on it which I don't need. Then there is P16 which has 2 nvme slots instead of 4 but it has the configuration I prefer: 12950hx + a simple A1000 and 2560x1600 screen. It is also cheaper. So I am trying to decide now...

44 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

You can get a cable that inserts instead of an NVME SSD or another one that takes the place of a network card - might even be the best solution for people who only have 2 NVME slots which is the (pathetic) norm today.

Looking at your numbers I would probably be most tempted if you have the same issues with some games severely underperforming that about everybody seems to have with TB connections. If that isn't an issue you may not be that excited to "only" go from ca. 16.4K to somewhere between 18 and 19K GPU score.

On the other hand with Nvidia staying its anemic course even for next generation GPUs it may be hard to surpass that as 175W TGP and inferior chips seem destined to make sure that the gap between 4090 desktop and mobile is soon rivaling the Grand Canyon.

Thanks, I will grab one. I think the Fury G9 will be a good option here, though it does not have a door under it like the P16.

Yesterday I bought an 6950XT card as the prices went low (an I had some eBay points I could spend) and I am sure it is 7900 cards will cost at least 40-50% more. I think I will skip the next generation cards, as I am gaming 2-3 times a year (one game from start to the end) and I am not picky about if it is 80 fps or 160 fps with full RT.

• Thumb Up 2

7 minutes ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

@DarginMahkum
if you can wait a new Razer 18 surfaced few days ago prancing its 13900 raptor lake cpu (no gpu info yet),

I actually already have the current generation maxed out Razer Blade 17 and I would like to move away from it. I think it is a very good laptop "when it works". I bought it mainly for work and then I had an RMA case which took like 6-7 weeks, which is not good at all if it is a work laptop. So I would like to sell mine and switch to a Dell/HP/Lenovo laptop which has proper support and service.

• Sad 1

That Razer probably won't surface out until Q1, perhaps even end of it, though I will let myself be surprised.
Hopefully they will finally go thicker, as did everyone else. At least two more millimeters would be barely noticeable. 

I have yet to run 3dSpy, I don't think I ran GPU benchmark in about 15 years :- ). 

10 minutes ago, DarginMahkum said:

Thanks, I will grab one. I think the Fury G9 will be a good option here, though it does not have a door under it like the P16.

Yesterday I bought an 6950XT card as the prices went low (an I had some eBay points I could spend) and I am sure it is 7900 cards will cost at least 40-50% more. I think I will skip the next generation cards, as I am gaming 2-3 times a year (one game from start to the end) and I am not picky about if it is 80 fps or 160 fps with full RT.

If you game only a few times per year and want to go with the Lenovo I would check if there are any TB specific limits with your game(s). If it doesn't then possibly better to skip that whole special eGPU stuff as you would have to take out a second SSD or the network card to accommodate the eGPU. When I was looking into it my son wanted more GPU performance for his laptop and he has hundreds of games so surely he would have encountered some with big issues which is why we went for a PCIe eGPU solution.

• Thumb Up 1

NVIDIA graphics driver update; Dell is sharing NVIDIA driver version 517.51 for Precision 7X60 and 7X70.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=NXCYN

(From the list of GPUs supported, it "should" support GPUs all of the way back to Precision 7X10, but it hasn't been pushed out for those systems on their support pages yet.)

This is the first release from the 515 branch by Dell.  (NVIDIA already has a newer branch, 525, and you can find those drivers on their site directly.)

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

8 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

I am with 7770 and i9/A5500 and no - thermals are as bad as 7670, alas.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

lmao "the 7670 is the most important laptop in 2022" 

who else is on the bandwagon that Dell went the CAMM route because they are after squeezing every bit of performance from the chassis and the memory traces are the last stone left unturned to gain performance, wow LTT is business that bad you are now selling your integrity?

anyone picked up on their Subliminal stimuli? (subconscious messaging)
"this monster gaming laptop is not for you" "most of you will not need all the power this has to offer"
"it is too expensive for you, let your boss buy it"

they also try to blur lines with dual channel functionality and ECC, which is apparently no longer important or needed in favor of (LTT bank account) short traces and larger single memory bank, and oh by the way... only dell sells CAMM memory modules atm but "everyone else will catch up" in few years.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

lmao "the 7670 is the most important laptop in 2022" 

who else is on the bandwagon that Dell went the CAMM route because they are after squeezing every bit of performance from the chassis and the memory traces are the last stone left unturned to gain performance, wow LTT is business that bad you are now selling your integrity?

anyone picked up on their Subliminal stimuli? (subconscious messaging)
"this monster gaming laptop is not for you" "most of you will not need all the power this has to offer"
"it is too expensive for you, let your boss buy it"

they also try to blur lines with dual channel functionality and ECC, which is apparently no longer important or needed in favor of (LTT bank account) short traces and larger single memory bank, and oh by the way... only dell sales CAMM memory modules atm but "everyone else will catch up" in few years.

Was going to comment something similar on that vid but I stopped caring too fast.

Sff build is complete and family pc tbd later but still a nice $900 savings combined over the 7770
13700k (no e cores) + Noctua NHL-12S + + Gskill Tridentz 3600mhz cl18 64gb ddr4
Asrock z690m itx/ax (pl1 = 125w max, also no in os oc support since two bios patches ago, too bad I need the newest one)
6900xt + evga clc 280mm (been modded since day one)

SSUPD Meshalishious
800w SilverStone SFX

No voltage play here but there is room for another 4-7% gains if tuned, 13th gen is a smidge more efficient than 12th gen mobile before voltage tuning. I haven't done much 78w testing but to say the least, heat loss alone would be many factors less. Perf below never passed 88* peak, fresh air intake.

PL1/2/BoostTime = 125w/157w/224s
CBr23 2k something single / 20k multi yay
(25% improvement in multi over perfect scenario 5700g/12950hx 78w in an imperfect scenario optimization wise)

GB5 2150 single/ 13.6k multi yay

PL1/2/BoostTime = 125w/125w/224s
CBr23 2k something single / 18.8k multi yay

GB5 2150 single/ 12.8k multi yay

4k Gaming is much better with my 6900xt than my 5700g or 78w 12950hx (even ran my 6900xt off the egpu dock, 0-5% perf decrease on 98% of titles outside of running in 4k needlessly maxed or aiming for more than 120/144hz)

Time saved building the new pc, including removing the heat sinks off my ram because clearance, disassembling the last pc, not obsessively tuning for an ineffective 55-70w cooler, and not whining about my system, compared to the 7770, approximately 3.8 weeks. (Pc building/disassembly took a bit more than a hour total)

My only complaint is that I did not attempt to diy a laptop, I threw a few days messing around with ideas but I opted to just use the meshalisous, doesn't take up much desk space, its just tall.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ATAN said:

I stopped caring too fast.

lol,

i cant help but wonder why LTT choose to only review the CAMM module while the "most important laptop of 2022" is sitting right there? is that the only (though far fetched) positive element they could find under the hood of the "most important laptop of 2022" to review?

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:16 PM, MyPC8MyBrain said:

lol,

i cant help but wonder why LTT choose to only review the CAMM module while the "most important laptop of 2022" is sitting right there? is that the only (though far fetched) positive element they could find under the hood of the "most important laptop of 2022" to review?

I think Dell could have had an easier time marketing CAMM if they had made a unique module for the Precision, say a 32GB DDR5-5600 CL36 XMP which could work as it was commonly paired with a 12900k in a desktop. Although maybe the Alienware group did not want this given that the Precision already had HX CPU's, 3080Ti and a 120hz display option.

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

8 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

I think Dell could have had an easier time marketing CAMM if they

the easiest would been not to be greedy and try to corner RAM market in the first place with a proprietary lame module, than try to make up "marketing" stories why they had to go that route,

everything else is not important as making ram traces shorter,
makes complete sense,
spending millions on false marketing in attempt to force feeding their customers BS why this had to be done,

also makes sense,
allowing internal department to dictate which feature will be available on their most expensive mobile flagship just so few filthy rich (other department) executive egos kept whole,

also makes sense, 
if the joke above would get to the punch line we can all have lough together.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:16 PM, MyPC8MyBrain said:

is that the only (though far fetched) positive element they could find under the hood of the "most important laptop of 2022" to review

I can see that you're really disappointed with the new Precisions, heh. 

Dell could have done so much more with maybe 500 g more mass and cooling...

• Thumb Up 1

indeed i am, reason being is after being a loyal customer in my private life and though my professional life,

not to pull rank but just to put figures in prospective, one company i worked for a $350 million dollar were spent with Dell mainly because i insisted, that was the first and smallest budget working for that company, just to find out that the hard earned money directed toward Dell served to indulge executive resulting in poorer and poorer products through the years, 20 years ago no menial internal department couldn't dictate to the precision team which parts go in,

it was always the best bleeding edge component we would pay for, now we have gaming platform dictating restrictions on a flagship workstation in order to justify a new lucrative vertical they can milk on our expenses,

so we get the top end component we should have, but they are 30% castrated so it doesn't over shine Alienware gaming platform, gaming platform will get the 330W power supply, and the high refresh rate screens, with the best vapor chamber design they can come up with, and that will be only for the gaming stations, 

and for their flagship they will give most of the above just capped and circumcised so there are enough marketing differences,
flagship will only get 240W power supply, and only 120Mhz refresh (lower than gaming station) and they capped our expensive same GPU to 125/150w limits instead of 175W, and they don't think that workstation need or run long stressed workloads only gaming stations do, so we got the no vapor chamber design for cooling in the flagship workstation, just so marketing department can seemingly create a separate sales vertical that has enough differences, the whole thing is just pathetic and sad what became of Dell,

slowly but surely they have taken one system and split it in half restricting either new ends to their full capability, just so they can make sure that one system cant do everything perfectly as it should, this doesn't serve their customers it only serves Dell's sales department executives.

• Thumb Up 2

Very well said @MyPC8MyBrain .

I don't know about my own purchases in the future, I think next year will tell with the 7x80 models. But I've stopped recommending and even started discouraging buying Dell to anyone I know who considers going with them.
At my current project, the company was considering Dell vs HP vs Lenovo for their next laptop line, and they went with Lenovo in the end. Such behavior from Dell should not be rewarded with our money, they should feel the pain of making poor decisions and I really hope their sales go down significantly (which I doubt they will, unfortunately) so they fix these issues properly.

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

12 minutes ago, serpro69 said:

Very well said @MyPC8MyBrain .

I don't know about my own purchases in the future, I think next year will tell with the 7x80 models. But I've stopped recommending and even started discouraging buying Dell to anyone I know who considers going with them.
At my current project, the company was considering Dell vs HP vs Lenovo for their next laptop line, and they went with Lenovo in the end. Such behavior from Dell should not be rewarded with our money, they should feel the pain of making poor decisions and I really hope their sales go down significantly (which I doubt they will, unfortunately) so they fix these issues properly.

Yip. At my workplace we've also red flagged Dell. Mainly for terrible customer service.

I really hope they can turn the tide. The used to make make great stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

indeed i am, reason being is after being a loyal customer in my private life and though my professional life,

not to pull rank but just to put figures in prospective, one company i worked for a $350 million dollar were spent with Dell mainly because i insisted, that was the first and smallest budget working for that company, just to find out that the hard earned money directed toward Dell served to indulge executive resulting in poorer and poorer products through the years, 20 years ago no menial internal department couldn't dictate to the precision team which parts go in,

it was always the best bleeding edge component we would pay for, now we have gaming platform dictating restrictions on a flagship workstation in order to justify a new lucrative vertical they can milk on our expenses,

so we get the top end component we should have, but they are 30% castrated so it doesn't over shine Alienware gaming platform, gaming platform will get the 330W power supply, and the high refresh rate screens, with the best vapor chamber design they can come up with, and that will be only for the gaming stations, 

and for their flagship they will give most of the above just capped and circumcised so there are enough marketing differences,
flagship will only get 240W power supply, and only 120Mhz refresh (lower than gaming station) and they capped our expensive same GPU to 125/150w limits instead of 175W, and they don't think that workstation need or run long stressed workloads only gaming stations do, so we got the no vapor chamber design for cooling in the flagship workstation, just so marketing department can seemingly create a separate sales vertical that has enough differences, the whole thing is just pathetic and sad what became of Dell,

slowly but surely they have taken one system and split it in half restricting either new ends to their full capability, just so they can make sure that one system cant do everything perfectly as it should, this doesn't serve their customers it only serves Dell's sales department executives.

So I ask my sales agent about the terrible thermals on my 7670 and I get this reply:

Why a unit is getting hot there might be a few factors. One of them is the Customer has loaded A image without the relevant Dell tools on but this is just a example or there might even be a physical fault.

Any technical queries a Customer has to please come into contact with the Dell Help desk on 0800 166 760

The Dell Help Desk will guide the Customer on what the correct tools are to load as well as will determine if there are any hardware issues

What the hell? I literally setup a pre-configured system, using all Dell's optimisers etc. I even retrieve the driver updates using their app.

Looks like they didn't even bother to cross check the build against my service tag.

At this point, I'm happy I have a much faster computer than my outgoing 7510, but I am utterly disappointed with the user experience, especially for the fortune that this thing costs.

I hope that I'll appreciate the machine more in the coming months when I get some useful work out of it.

• Thumb Up 1

I understand a lot of you are disappointed. I can't comment on the 7770, because we only have about 8 x 7670 in stock at our company.

Personally, I think the 7670 is awesome. We don't need something with a 320W power brick, and the 70-75W TPL2 is plenty for most people doing compiling etc.. While it might not be as powerful as a 7KG ugly gamer laptop, it's still plenty for most.

In short. It's powerful (enough) have a good selection of ports compared to Precision 5570, 5770, and still relative portable.

But maybe they should have made the 7670 the portable version and the 7770 more powerful. But it's still all within spec, as the TDP for the CPU is still 55W and it runs at 70-75W after the initial 57 secs where it boosts around 90-110W.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Confused 1