NotebookTalk

M4800 Owner's Thread

12 hours ago, MELOCODI said:

Does anyone have a Quadro T1000 from Adlinktech here? I've been screwing around with mine at night and found a VBIOS on TechPowerUp database that improved my temps without a performance sacrifice. 

I changed my MSI Afterburner OSD configuration yesterday and noticed this:

Hide contents

image.png.2a8bead0e11fbe09bd98c56be061e48e.png

LIM1 is a stat that shows what limits the GPU (POWER,TEMP, NO LOAD) and in my case it NEVER changed, GPU Power was on 3.5W too. I knew it was something with VBIOS, but when I tried to flash some 1650 VBIOSes - it didn't work, even with nvflashk/omgvflash. But then I tried to flash the sketchiest out of all T1000 VBIOSes - one that had "0 MB VRAM" identified on TechPowerUp. And would you look at that:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.ef168c5a23836c57ceed8990ddd2f810.png

(On this screenshot I've been playing for two hours already)

Now temps aren't going higher than 73 degrees, even in stress tests, yay!
Here is the link for VBIOS: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/239942/239942
Flash using nvflashk: https://github.com/notfromstatefarm/nvflashk

How to flash it:

Hide contents

• Disable your Quadro T1000 in a Device Manager
• Open Terminal/CMD in a nvflash(k) directory and execute those commands:
   nvflashk --protectoff
   nvflashk -6 (VBIOS ROM NAME HERE).rom
• Reboot
• Enable your Quadro T1000
(I am not sure if nvflashk is required, maybe original nvflash would be good for that too)

Nice find, my T1000 is Adlink 🤔 good to see that there's a fix for it having basically unlocked power/clocks (mine sometimes even goes above 1900MHz clock and is always at 99c hotspot). Does this also unlock undervolting/msi afterburner controls too? Guessing that's still locked

Dell Precision 7520: Intel Core i7-7920HQ, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB, LG LP156QHG (240Hz QHD, 100% sRGB & P3, 400 nits), Intel AX210 WiFi 6E

Dell Precision M4800: Intel Core i7-4810MQ, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M1200 4GB, Intel AX200 WiFi 6

ThinkPad T440p: Intel Core i7-4980HQ i5-4300M, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro 5200 HD 4600, N140HCE-EN1 Rev.c2 (1080p)

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2Intel Core i5-4300U, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4400, QHD

ThinkPad X230: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 16:10 2K display

ASRock X570M Pro4: Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, Corsair Crystal 280X, Xiaomi Mi Curved 34 + Acer Predator Z35

2 hours ago, M4980 said:

Nice find, my T1000 is Adlink 🤔 good to see that there's a fix for it having basically unlocked power/clocks (mine sometimes even goes above 1900MHz clock and is always at 99c hotspot). Does this also unlock undervolting/msi afterburner controls too? Guessing that's still locked

Sadly it is still locked, that's a thing with those modern quadros, I tried to flash all kinds of VBIOS-es, desktop 1650-s, mobile 1650-s. It always fails, even with modified nvflash utility. I will probably try to do it again when I do something  with it when I fiddle around with the heatsink, but with external programmer. 

DELL Precision M4800 Slav-jank

Spoiler

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro T1000
CPU: i7 4800MQ (Undervolted)
(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)
RAM: 32 GB G.Skill RipJaws 1866 mHz (4 x 8 GB)

Storage (SATA1): Samsung SSD 870 EVO 512 GB

Storage (SATA2): Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1024 GB

hcghqw-4.png

I also looked at Quadro RTX 3000 pictures and I don't think that it actually protrudes that much on the sides. Some heatsink parts need small cuts (I guess eSATA port will need to be cut/removed too) . Still, I need to get one first just to be sure. And even so - 80W is just extreme, I don't feel comfortable about it lol

Spoiler

(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)

hcghqw-4.png

On 3/1/2024 at 7:19 PM, MELOCODI said:

I also looked at Quadro RTX 3000 pictures and I don't think that it actually protrudes that much on the sides. Some heatsink parts need small cuts (I guess eSATA port will need to be cut/removed too) . Still, I need to get one first just to be sure. And even so - 80W is just extreme, I don't feel comfortable about it lol

It does and I bought two of them but have held off for now, really do need a custom heatsink to begin with but with the pcb being wider than normal is an issue.

Edit: Just sized it up again and the connector will have to go but beyond that it will fit however there is some capacitors on that side of the card are blocked. The metal clip for the display cable has to go and the guides for the clip as well the heatsink also has to go. Lastly the coils are blocking the heatsink from making contact with the core so some modding is required.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 11:33 PM, nforce4max said:

It does and I bought two of them but have held off for now, really do need a custom heatsink to begin with but with the pcb being wider than normal is an issue.

Edit: Just sized it up again and the connector will have to go but beyond that it will fit however there is some capacitors on that side of the card are blocked. The metal clip for the display cable has to go and the guides for the clip as well the heatsink also has to go. Lastly the coils are blocking the heatsink from making contact with the core so some modding is required.

I don't see a need for the clip anyways. I had mine off for years until tidying up finding it in a box of parts, the flex cable sock is long enough to not move a bit lid open or closed.

Is the core too low or too wide touching the coils?

Should work to either solder on a copper shim or put some on with kryonout cooling paste adding the height.

Not sure if you have some shims at home, or you could order some from aliexpress. I have a set of shims in different thickness that comes to good use with various projects.

Lastly you could cut out a tape shim over the PCB so there is no chance of electric short kind of how thinkpad motherboards are covered in black pcb tape.

20 hours ago, unnoticed said:

I don't see a need for the clip anyways. I had mine off for years until tidying up finding it in a box of parts, the flex cable sock is long enough to not move a bit lid open or closed.

Is the core too low or too wide touching the coils?

Should work to either solder on a copper shim or put some on with kryonout cooling paste adding the height.

Not sure if you have some shims at home, or you could order some from aliexpress. I have a set of shims in different thickness that comes to good use with various projects.

Lastly you could cut out a tape shim over the PCB so there is no chance of electric short kind of how thinkpad motherboards are covered in black pcb tape.

The gpu itself is already on the thick side compared to the norm for these machines however the coils block the cooler so either mod the cooler or get a thick shim. You can diy one by sacrificing a unneeded for the cold plate then cleaning it up. The laptop body will need some metal work for the card to mount correctly. Lastly the rear USB/esata port has to be removed otherwise you'll never be able to physically fit the card as it is much wider than a typical card.

Chiming in on the discussion on GPUs with a question on the WX 4150.
I got one of those and to be honest, its performance is pretty lackluster. Are there any ways of boosting its performance? Like flashing the vBIOS of the RX 560 for example? Anyone got experience with that?

1 hour ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Chiming in on the discussion on GPUs with a question on the WX 4150.
I got one of those and to be honest, its performance is pretty lackluster. Are there any ways of boosting its performance? Like flashing the vBIOS of the RX 560 for example? Anyone got experience with that?

I think someone on 4PDA forum was modding it some time ago, look for M4800 thread there.

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)

hcghqw-4.png

6 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I've looked up that site and it seems like it's in Russian only?

Yep, sadly, I guess Google Translate is an option

Spoiler

(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)

hcghqw-4.png

9 hours ago, MELOCODI said:

Yep, sadly, I guess Google Translate is an option

The challange is to finish the security question.

What I do is to start camera in google translate or yandex translate app.

You will see three lines of a word that is the name of a number.

Write the 3 numbers and hopefully you get it right before it changes

16 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I've looked up that site and it seems like it's in Russian only?

I looked through - I guess it will be better if I find a VBIOS myself, I know russian

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)

hcghqw-4.png

7 hours ago, MELOCODI said:

I looked through - I guess it will be better if I find a VBIOS myself, I know russian

I'd really appreciate that!

From what I can tell there's definitively room for overclocking/tweaking the card. Barely hitting 60°C under load, and only drawing about 20 Watts. Though it's always at maximum clock (~1050Mhz), which is why I believe another vBIOS would be the most feasible way of maximizing performance.

5 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

I'd really appreciate that!

From what I can tell there's definitively room for overclocking/tweaking the card. Barely hitting 60°C under load, and only drawing about 20 Watts. Though it's always at maximum clock (~1050Mhz), which is why I believe another vBIOS would be the most feasible way of maximizing performance.

At this point I am sure you know how to use ATIFlash and you have backups.
From what I can tell - this VBIOS is unlocked for overclocking, I have updated GOP just in case, I hope it works out nicely

Baffin_mod.rom Baffin_mod_updGOP.rom

• Thumb Up 2

Spoiler

(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)

hcghqw-4.png

9 hours ago, MELOCODI said:

At this point I am sure you know how to use ATIFlash and you have backups.
From what I can tell - this VBIOS is unlocked for overclocking, I have updated GOP just in case, I hope it works out nicely

Baffin_mod.rom 256 kB · 0 downloads Baffin_mod_updGOP.rom 256 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for providing these ROMs!

I have absolutely no clue about ATIFlash though. The last card I've flashed with it was a R9 Fury, back in my days of desktop PCs and using Windows.

I'll see if I can get it to work in a Windows VM!

On 3/21/2024 at 1:22 PM, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Thank you for providing these ROMs!

I have absolutely no clue about ATIFlash though. The last card I've flashed with it was a R9 Fury, back in my days of desktop PCs and using Windows.

I'll see if I can get it to work in a Windows VM!

I don't know how that will work, but if I were you - I would use Hiren's Boot CD on a flash drive to flash the VBIOS

Spoiler

(Waiting for i7 4980HQ)

hcghqw-4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, time for an update:

I got the WX 4150 unlocked with the BIOS @MELOCODI provided. спаси́бо to you for that!

However, the results were pretty disappointing. Got another 5% out of the card before it started to show heavy glitches in the Unigine benchmark.

I guess I'll go for the 1050 Ti then. There's just one thing that bothers me about that. The 1050 Ti is rated at 75 Watts TDP according to the GPU database at techpowerup. If assume it's pretty restrained in a M4800, meaning the vBIOS has the card probably locked at somewhere between 35 and 50 watts TDP. If I look at benchmarks comparing these two GPUs, I can see that the 1050 Ti is faster by a significant margin. There are no indications on whether these GPUs ran at the same TDP limit though.

Long story short: will a 1050 Ti still be significantly faster if being run at the same TDP than my WX 4150?

Edited by Per Astra Ad Deum
typos

7 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Hi there, time for an update:

I got the WX 4150 unlocked with the BIOS @MELOCODI provided. спаси́бо to you for that!

However, the results were pretty disappointing. Got another 5% out of the card before it started to show heavy glitches in the Unigine benchmark.

I guess I'll go for the 1050 Ti then. There's just one thing that bothers me about that. The 1050 Ti is rated at 75 Watts TDP according to the GPU database at techpowerup. If assume it's pretty restrained in a M4800, meaning the vBIOS has the card probably locked at somewhere between 35 and 50 watts TDP. If I look at benchmarks comparing these two GPUs, I can see that the 1050 Ti is faster by a significant margin. There are no indications on whether these GPUs ran at the same TDP limit though.

Long story short: will a 1050 Ti still be significantly faster if being run at the same TDP than my WX 4150?

Generally, Pascal generation cards don't work in 4800.

T1000, T2000 is the next bet (but require different nvidia thermal tube system part). HP versions, if I understand correctly, aren't perfectly fit physically and require some office knife use, plus don't have an X bracket on their... back, which makes whole all assembly tricky, but they work. Industrial, non-HP, versions, judging by the photos, are more plug-n-play.

Did anyone figure out how to get best performing fans for certain (as not all vendors ship the best ones)? Along with best thermal pads (size / vendor, as some are claimed to be fake)?

Best,

8 minutes ago, KMikhail said:

Generally, Pascal generation cards don't work in 4800.

T1000, T2000 is the next bet. HP versions, if I understand correctly, aren't perfectly fit physically and require some office knife use, plus don't have an X bracket on their... back, which makes whole all assembly tricky, but they work. Industrial, non-HP, versions, judging by the photos, are more plug-n-play.

Did anyone figure out how to get best performing fans for certain (as not all vendors ship the best ones)? Along with best thermal pads (size / vendor, as some are claimed to be fake)?

Best,

Hi @KMikhail,

the 1050 Ti will work in the M4800, but it might be necessary to flash coreboot first. I'd prefer to have it run with vendor bios though, since I can't control the MUX's with coreboot (yet).

About the thermal pads: see my posting in this thread on that topic, I think I used Gelid 1mm for both GPU and CPU (VRMs). The best fan is apparently the cone-shaped Delta-Fan.

2 hours ago, Per Astra Ad Deum said:

Hi @KMikhail,

the 1050 Ti will work in the M4800, but it might be necessary to flash coreboot first. I'd prefer to have it run with vendor bios though, since I can't control the MUX's with coreboot (yet).

About the thermal pads: see my posting in this thread on that topic, I think I used Gelid 1mm for both GPU and CPU (VRMs). The best fan is apparently the cone-shaped Delta-Fan.

I'm honestly surprised to hear about 1050 Ti (Pascal gen) being compatible with 4800. I used Gelid as well, but there are special phase-transition pads for the CPU and GPU crystals.

Regards

I’m not so sure about compatibility, if you plan to use Windows anyway. M6800 has a BIOS conflict with Pascal cards. I’d think it would be the same with M4800. You will get an ACPI.sys BSOD when booting Windows or Windows Setup. Fixing it requires chain loading a pre-boot tool to change some BIOS tables. (Linux boots fine, without any extra work.)

It can be avoided with an older “engineering sample” VBIOS, but those have only been discovered for Quadro cards, not GeForce.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

46 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I’m not so sure about compatibility, if you plan to use Windows anyway. M6800 has a BIOS conflict with Pascal cards. I’d think it would be the same with M4800. You will get an ACPI.sys BSOD when booting Windows or Windows Setup. Fixing it requires chain loading a pre-boot tool to change some BIOS tables. (Linux boots fine, without any extra work.)

It can be avoided with an older “engineering sample” VBIOS, but those have only been discovered for Quadro cards, not GeForce.

I'm using Linux, but the 1050 Ti is actually meant to be passed-through to a VM. Will see how that goes. I'll report.

Do you have any insights in performance? Before I was wondering whether the difference would be that big given the fact that the 1050 Ti would likely be locked down to 35-50 Watts TDP in the M4800.

Edit: I've just ordered the 1050 Ti. Do I need a different heatsink? Does anyone know?