NotebookTalk

HP ZBook 15 G1/G2 Quadro M2200 MXM Upgrade, vBIOS & Benchmarks

Easa

Hello,

M2200 is Maxwell generation (GTX9xx) but due to its different chip and transistor count it is way above M2000, hitting the performance level of GTX 1050 (+-3%). Plus, you can modify the BIOS and overclock. 

I did not measure the results with the original K2100M that i had prior to upgrade to M2000, but I will certainly measure the difference between M2000 and M2200. 

M2200 should arrive today, I have original Zbook G4 vBIOS ready, hoping for the best ! 🙂

BTW@Aaron44126 IIRC you posted something a while ago regarding Maxwell BIOS mods, I have tried to mod BIOS on my M2000 but always get an error when flashing (mismatch etc.), I will try to mod bios for this M2200, do you have any tips for successful flashing please? 

• Easa changed the title to HP ZBook 15 G1/G2 Quadro M2200 MXM Upgrade, vBIOS & Benchmarks
On 10/28/2022 at 7:47 PM, ryan said:

oh ok cool!! so its basically a 970m?

BENCHMARKS BROThER

Not completely - the M2200 is the Quadro equivalent to a GeForce 965M but still one of the best MXM-A cards below 1050TI and T1000/T2000 out there 😉 

The whole story including some benchmarks. The laptop was originally shipped with Quadro K2100M (+- on par with GTX660M). I have managed to get a M2000M for a very cheap price (30$) back in September this year, so I swapped it, the difference was immediately there. After a few weeks or so I have found even better card, the M2200 on Ebay, in New Old Stock, sealed package (HP Genuine Spare Part) that cost me quite a penny, around $170, but since I sold the former K2100M for $100 and the M2000M will sell on Ebay for even more money, this was basically a free upgrade. 

So, two days ago I have pulled the machine apart and M2200 replaced the M2000 as my current GPU. Even though the card was a spare part for ZBook 15 G4, a flash with stock ZBook 15 G4 vBIOS was needed as my machine was not recognizing the card at all. BIOS was provided to me by a good guy on Techpowerup forums. Should anyone decide to go this road, you will find the BIOS in this thread. 

Next, DDU uninstall of old drivers, installation of new drivers with modded .inf file, quick basic testing, everything works fine. To add a little "finishing touch" to this, I have modified the stock BIOS a bit, going from 1036MHz to 1205MHz Core clock and from 5500MHz to 6000MHz effective memory clock. This was done without changing the TDP or voltage levels, I suppose I could go even higher with that, but I am satisfied with this. The card runs very cool, cooler than both K2100M and M2000M, staying in the 62-72°C load temperature range. 

Time for a little benchmarks. Just to clarify, I do not have any benchmarks with the old K2100M, but as far as I can remember, it performed pretty average, maybe a bit above the values you can find on Notebookcheck. Value B (Before): represents the former configuration (M2000M, Stock vBIOS, +135MHz via Afterburner), value A (After): represents the current configuration (M2200, modded vBIOS)

B: Sky Diver Graphics: 14937
A: Sky Diver Graphics: 21693

B: Fire Strike Graphics: 4619

A: Fire Strike Graphics: 6916

B: Time Spy Graphics: 1298

A: Time Spy Graphics:  1994

Overall, the performance increase was around 50% in 3DMark, surpassing the stock GTX965M, hitting the peformance levels of a stock GTX 1050 Mobile or Quadro P2000 Mobile. For almost a 10 year old laptop, I consider this a great success. 

vbios_hpzbook15g4_10de_1436.rom

• Thumb Up 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, Easa said:

Thank you ! My ZBook is equipped with FHD IPS screen (Samsung panel) but it spends about 95% of the whole usage time docked with lid closed, connected to Dell Ultrasharp U2415. 

i see,and Hybrid Grahpics must be enabled to get internal display working?

Yes, Hybrid Graphics Enabled, UEFI Booting with CSM Enabled for first run, BIOS Flash & driver installation, then UEFI without CSM. Works flawless.

BTW: Machine is now fully capable of running DOOM: Eternal FHD@60FPS. Yay!

17 hours ago, Easa said:

Yes, Hybrid Graphics Enabled, UEFI Booting with CSM Enabled for first run, BIOS Flash & driver installation, then UEFI without CSM. Works flawless.

BTW: Machine is now fully capable of running DOOM: Eternal FHD@60FPS. Yay!

Thanks for your information! Please do enjoy smooth gaming😄