NotebookTalk

Windows 11 Modern Standby Problems

John Ratsey

I'm getting frustrated by Modern Standby on my LG Gram 17 (2022) with Windows 11. When I tell the computer to Sleep then the fan keeps running and running. In reality, it's not sleeping at all but just turns off the display and keeps everything running. One consequence of this is the risk of overheating when the screen is closed and heat dissipation is less effective. Battery drain is also much higher than the traditional sleep. I wonder if Modern Standby was created for desktop computers and has been inflicted on notebooks without proper thought.

The traditional low power sleep uses low power state S3. However, when low power state S0 is enabled in the BIOS then other sleep states are automatically disabled.

1081423357_SleepstateswithS0enabled.jpg.551c0986d60afb89a50b97cdc0c97b7c.jpg

Using a registry entry to disable S0 seems to work when telling the computer to sleep - it quickly goes quiet - but reboots when told to wake up. I've also tried disabling S0 in the BIOS and Powercfg /a shows that this enables the other sleep states. However, the reboot on wake problem still happens. There is some potentially relevant discussion here but I think the problem is if wider interest to notebook users.

I suspect that something else in Windows needs to be changed to ensure trouble-free waking when Modern Standby is disabled.Ideally, S0 would be disabled before Windows is installed and Windows would then configure itself accordingly. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it?

On the Dell side, it seems to be that tricks like this to enable S3 sleep and try to use it don't really work — BIOS support for it is non-existent or half-baked, since they just expect you to be using "Modern Standby" (which everybody hates).  I don't know of anyone who has gotten S3 sleep working on a Tiger Lake / 11th gen system or later (again, on the Dell side).  The general consensus is to just forget about "Sleep" and go straight to "Hibernate" 😕

• Thumb Up 1

Dell Precision 7770 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Dell Precision 7770 (personal)

• Intel Core i9-12950HX ("Alder Lake"), 8P+8E
    • 8× P cores ("Golden Cove"): 2.3 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading
    • 8× E cores ("Gracemont"): 1.7 GHz base, 3.6 GHz turbo
  • 128GB DDR5-3600 (CAMM)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB (DGFF)
  • Storage:
    • 2TB system drive: Samsung 980 Pro, PCIe4
    • 24TB additional storage: 3× Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 8TB, PCIe4 (Storage Spaces)
  • Windows 10 (Enterprise LTSC 2021)
  • 17.3" 3940×2160 display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX211 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth)
  • 93Wh battery
  • IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth)
  • 95Wh battery
  • IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, John Ratsey said:

I'm getting frustrated by Modern Standby on my LG Gram 17 (2022) with Windows 11. When I tell the computer to Sleep then the fan keeps running and running. In reality, it's not sleeping at all but just turns off the display and keeps everything running. One consequence of this is the risk of overheating when the screen is closed and heat dissipation is less effective. Battery drain is also much higher than the traditional sleep. I wonder if Modern Standby was created for desktop computers and has been inflicted on notebooks without proper thought.

The traditional low power sleep uses low power state S3. However, when low power state S0 is enabled in the BIOS then other sleep states are automatically disabled.

1081423357_SleepstateswithS0enabled.jpg.551c0986d60afb89a50b97cdc0c97b7c.jpg

Using a registry entry to disable S0 seems to work when telling the computer to sleep - it quickly goes quiet - but reboots when told to wake up. I've also tried disabling S0 in the BIOS and Powercfg /a shows that this enables the other sleep states. However, the reboot on wake problem still happens. There is some potentially relevant discussion here but I think the problem is if wider interest to notebook users.

I suspect that something else in Windows needs to be changed to ensure trouble-free waking when Modern Standby is disabled.Ideally, S0 would be disabled before Windows is installed and Windows would then configure itself accordingly. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it?

I just saw this post while looking for other info on the site.  I did extensive work on 'standby' issues way back, and I seem to recall posting the info here somewhere but not sure where offhand.   Did you ever make progress with this? 

I have the LG Gram 17, 2021 model (17Z95P-K.AAE8U1).  I disabled S0, which enables S3, using this technique: 

Regedit: 

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Enter the 32-bit DWORD value PlatformAoAcOverride and set it to 0. 

Confirmed using powercfg /a -  available: S3, Hibernate. Not available: S1, S2, S0, hybrid sleep, fast startup. 

and the system goes to sleep on idle (or when asked to do so) and correctly recovers from sleep with mouse movement, etc - and doesn't reboot like yours seems to. 

(this is under windows 11 home). 

as a side note, when I just checked today, S0 was back to active, and the registry key was gone - presumably some windows update secretly reset it.  But I set it back just now, and tested - let it idle, woke it up, and ran 'powercfg /sleepstudy' to generate a report, which confirmed it went to standby. 

Let me know if you want to pursue this further. 

7 hours ago, Steerpike said:

as a side note, when I just checked today, S0 was back to active, and the registry key was gone - presumably some windows update secretly reset it.  But I set it back just now, and tested - let it idle, woke it up, and ran 'powercfg /sleepstudy' to generate a report, which confirmed it went to standby.

Major Windows feature upgrades (released yearly) will reset this value.  For things like this, I have a batch script that runs at startup to just make sure the configuration is how I like, should Microsoft decide to reset it.  (Also handy to just apply your configuration to a new PC, having all of the steps in one place without having to remember everything.)  You could do something like:

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f /reg:64

• Thanks 1

Dell Precision 7770 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Dell Precision 7770 (personal)

• Intel Core i9-12950HX ("Alder Lake"), 8P+8E
    • 8× P cores ("Golden Cove"): 2.3 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading
    • 8× E cores ("Gracemont"): 1.7 GHz base, 3.6 GHz turbo
  • 128GB DDR5-3600 (CAMM)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB (DGFF)
  • Storage:
    • 2TB system drive: Samsung 980 Pro, PCIe4
    • 24TB additional storage: 3× Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 8TB, PCIe4 (Storage Spaces)
  • 17.3" 3940×2160 display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX211 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth)
  • 93Wh battery
  • IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth)
  • 95Wh battery
  • IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

I seem to remember Linus doing a video very recently about this issue and that it was noticed by Microsoft.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 5950X | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4080 | 2 TB SSD | Windows 10

Lenovo Legion 5: Ryzen 7 6800H | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3070 Ti | 1.5 TB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11
Apple iPad Gen 9: A13 Bionic | 3 GB RAM | 64 GB | iPadOS

1 hour ago, saturnotaku said:

I seem to remember Linus doing a video very recently about this issue and that it was noticed by Microsoft.

Yeah, there's the video if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKKcd3sx2c

Both Windows 10 and 11 are affected by this issue. In some devices the issue was even more severe - like HP EliteBook 845 G8, which simply freeze instead of going in to sleep. HP released so called "System Default Settings" package to address this issue... The funny fact is, that package is available on 845 G7 drivers page instead of 845 G8, so many owners most likely missed it.

• Thumb Up 1