NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

So looks like my initial performance assessment of Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga on my desktop vs my X170 was inaccurate. Not satisfied with the results I got lat time, I decided to dig deeper to find what was causing the performance disparity I found last time. My results from this run confused me more, but made me happier at the same time.

So the game does in fact perform significantly better on my desktop in an absolute sense due to the significantly faster memory, which is what I expected. What I didn't expect was that my X170 would somehow get higher framerates than my desktop in one scenario: when standing still.

With my framerate comparison I described before, I tested the performance of the game on both my systems right after loading into the game on Endor. I did not move the mouse on either system, I just let the viewport stay as it was when loading into the level, and looked at the framerates RTSS was reporting on both systems. When standing still looking out at the ewok village, my desktop was getting 95 FPS while my X170 was getting 121 FPS. However, this time I actually moved the mouse, and the framerate dipped dramatically on my X170 all the way down to 79 FPS. It felt extremely choppy and stuttery as well.

Welp, this was weird I thought, so I did the same thing on my desktop. No frame dip. Even though the game was still lagging by my standards, the mouse movement felt significantly smoother since there was no frame dip. I repeated the same experiment again on both systems, and once again the framerate was dipping and skyrocketing all the way from 82 FPS to 121 FPS, while my framerate remained within the 95-100 FPS range on my desktop.

I have 2 potential explanations for this. Either this game does in fact perform significantly better on Nvidia cards, but is a stuttery mess on my X170 due to a single thread performance bottleneck that is partially alleviated on my desktop due to the faster memory I have in it, or the game has more stable frametimes on AMD cards.

One way to confirm this would be to either overclock the memory in my X170 or tighten the timings, or I could swap out the 6950 XT in my desktop with an old spare GTX 1060, although swapping in an RTX 2080 SUuper would allow for the most accurate comparison. It'd still be interesting to see the game performing better on a GTX 1060 vs a 6950 XT though.🤣

None of my other games behave this way. This is such weird behavior, but is not something I'm a stranger too. I develop software myself, specifically games, so I know that game performance can be drastically affected by architectural differences in hardware, depending on what area of the hardware the game stresses most.

• Thumb Up 4

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

Hmmm. Could be that MSI was damn afraid for higher RMA numbers hence they capped the performance vbios to 530W. Damn amusing... MSIs flagship cards come with lower TDP than Nvidia's own Founders Edition cards. In short... The AIC partners going the opposite way vs Nvidia and have started digging their own grave, LOOL

Yet another stupid idea from the hardware manufacturers. Stupidity is the new norm they all crawl after. One worse than the other then they shift between each other who's worst. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I just bought a athlon 3050u lenovo laptop 4gb ddr4 and 128gb emmc. this thing screams, Im going to test cyberpunk 2077 with ultra settings and path tracing maxed. should be around 120fps at 4k. people say I dont know much about computers and software, but when I report back with 120fps it will be put to rest. I know all of this because its a new computer and it has to be better. everytime I get something newer its always better, super excited to be finally able to see what this amd beast is capable of lol

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Some of you may remember from the NBR days, I posted some wallpapers that I had made....It is funny how this stuff gets stolen/shared.

My msi.jpg

My msi2.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bump 2

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

4 hours ago, Raiderman said:

Some of you may remember from the NBR days, I posted some wallpapers that I had made....It is funny how this stuff gets stolen/shared.

My msi.jpg

My msi2.jpg

Yeah, all of my custom-made wallpapers have been stolen/claimed by others as well. Kind of sucks. Not that I expected to be paid, but when people don't even give credit and pretend it is their creation that's just messed up. In fact, that's why Prema no longer makes any of his firmware mods available to the public. When you get screwed over and over  again, and people stab you in the back for being generous, you eventually reach the point that you have had enough of the betrayal.

Looks like AMD is, again, stooping to the level of the Redmond Reprobates, Wintel and NGREEDIA. Killing yesterday's products that people still use. The tech industry is a pretty wicked cartel, run by scummy bastards.

This is pretty funny and interesting.

This was a follow up video the guy created with the GPU in a better system, LOL.

• Bump 1
  • Sad 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

I had in-store credit at GOG that I needed to use and I always have a difficult time finding games that I will like for a price I am willing to pay. I stumbled onto Trepang2 and installed the demo before I wasted my money on it. It's a BLAST. I went ahead and purchased it with the in-store credit. Check out the free downloadable demo on GOG.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

48 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I had in-store credit at GOG that I needed to use and I always have a difficult time finding games that I will like for a price I am willing to pay. I stumbled onto Trepang2 and installed the demo before I wasted my money on it. It's a BLAST. I went ahead and purchased it with the in-store credit. Check out the free downloadable demo on GOG.

Oh that looks right up my alley. FEAR and DOOM vibes looks perfect as an after work stress reliever, thanks for the tip! 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Oh that looks right up my alley. FEAR and DOOM vibes looks perfect as an after work stress reliever, thanks for the tip! 

Yeah that sums it up pretty well. Sounds like you'll love it. I know I do. If you get it let me know what you think. 

Spoiler alert: at the start of the game you won't be able to do anything until you find the key to get your cuffs off, so avoid being seen. I thought something was wrong with my mouse when I first started playing and got killed because I couldn't defend myself.

• Thumb Up 4

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Dang bro Fox. You're well into gaming now. Maybe I should suggest a gaming community for you?😀 

e665b6ea1d3a07e47566162e72425da3.jpg

"Our Favorite Gaming Communities You Should Join" But don't count on me FOLLOWING YOU brother😆 5:40

@ryanis it tempting?🤣 You'll feel more home with the right gaming tools...... Pick your poison.

ALienWare---Alt-color-red.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 4

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

20 hours ago, Papusan said:

Dang bro Fox. You're well into gaming now. Maybe I should suggest a gaming community for you?😀 

e665b6ea1d3a07e47566162e72425da3.jpg

"Our Favorite Gaming Communities You Should Join" But don't count on me FOLLOWING YOU brother😆 5:40

@ryanis it tempting?🤣 You'll feel more home with the right gaming tools...... Pick your poison.

ALienWare---Alt-color-red.png

LOL, c'mon now. You know better than that, bro. No way I want anything to do with stupid feces like that. Disgusting. There are some games that are fun to play, especially if it involves lots of shooting and blowing things up. But, that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't know the ratio, but if I had to take a wild guess the ratio of like versus hate games for me is probaably something like 1:200. The love versus hate ratio is probably even higher, like maybe 1:300, maybe more.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

LOL, c'mon now. You know better than that, bro. No way I want anything to do with stupid feces like that. Disgusting. There are some games that are fun to play, especially if it involves lots of shooting and blowing things up. But, that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't know the ratio, but if I had to take a wild guess the ratio of like versus hate games for me is probaably something like 1:200. The love versus hate ratio is probably even higher, like may 1:300, maybe more.

LOOL. I know. Now it's time for one of my favoritesNot a game for you but a video that show how to react properly😁 

• Haha 1

I can’t even believe DDR5 9000 posted on the very first try. 😂 DDR5 8800 was so stable, that I was like… (I’m not doing it) it’s fast enough. And I could not resist. It ain’t stable, but I may be able to make it so. 

IMG-2282.jpg

@Mr. Fox

PS: I ordered these items for my chiller. I finally got me a 10 Gallon buffer tank. This buffer tank will prevent my chiller from having temperature deviations, and it will maintain a very precise water temp at all times. And It’ll stop it from cycling every 2-3 minutes when my PC is idling. It’s gonna lock in a consistent water temp within 1-2C at all times, whether it be idle or under load 🙂

Having a chiller is awesome, but if you don’t have a buffer tank, and you are pushing the limits of the chillers “Cooling Capability” you can set a water temp to 15C, the chiller runs and cools down to 15C and turns off. Then your system will have already rapidly warm the water to 18-20C before the chiller even realizes it needs to turn on. (This does not always happen) but this happens without a buffer tank under extreme loads in games. The chiller should run down to 15C, have enough water to handle and stay cold during that long delay under load for it to realize it’s dumb, then the chiller realizes it needs to kick its self in the butt and turn on. By this point the water is still 16.5C so it’s perfect and won’t cause an influx in warmer water and water time to cool it all back down very much lol. (This is what a buffer tank provides) 🙂 The only other way to avoid having consistent super cold water temp is to set the chiller at a level lower than it can reach. Then, it’ll run and run and run forever during heavy loads gaming etc. However, my chiller will typically run down to 8-9C easily under load, this causes condensation in the summer months. 

^ I got tired of dealing with this lately, so I got a big 10 gallon tank. I’m gonna insulate the tank so it stays super cold, and it’s gonna cause the chiller to hardly ever cycle and maintain a constant accurate temp at all times. If chiller weren’t so slow and dumb we would t have this issue. But, these things are designed for 50+ gallon heat tanks, with fish that aren’t putting out 500-800 watts lol.

IMG-2280.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

13900KF

18 hours ago, tps3443 said:

^ I got tired of dealing with this lately, so I got a big 10 gallon tank.

If is will fit inside of a cooler you can add ice to the cooler and get it even colder. And, that would also help insulate it when you don't have ice in the cooler. An inexpensive styrofoam cooler would work fine to experiment, and if that worked well you could get a nicer cooler to make it permanent. If it did not work well, just leave it inside of there and fill the air space with that spray-can expandable foam insulation. If you put the 10-gallon tank inside of a plastic bag first then you wouldn't have to worry about the spray-in foam insulation sticking to the tank and messing it up. It might not hurt to get some of that black foam pipe insulation to put on the tubing going from the tank to the chiller and from the chiller to the PC to avoid the loss of coldness.

On your 1/2 to 1/4 NPT fitting, get a barb fitting for the inside and put a piece of tubing on it to force water to enter the tank on the opposite end of where it leaves the tank to force circulation of the water inside of the tank. This will help keep all of the water in the tank the same temperature.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LifeMade-Envirocooler-Biodegradable-28-QT-Chest-Cooler-White/779723826?

090718aa-2dad-4895-99da-a80cfa19e830.40f

18 hours ago, tps3443 said:

I can’t even believe DDR5 9000 posted on the very first try. 😂 DDR5 8800 was so stable, that I was like… (I’m not doing it) it’s fast enough. And I could not resist. It ain’t stable, but I may be able to make it so. 

Awesome. That's so sweet. 🧡

• Thumb Up 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

If is will fit inside of a cooler you can add ice to the cooler and get it even colder. And, that would also help insulate it when you don't have ice in the cooler. An inexpensive styrofoam cooler would work fine to experiment, and it that worked well you could get a nice cooler to make it permanent. If it did not work well, just leave it inside of there and fill the air space with that spray-can expandable foam insulation. If you put the 10-gallon tank inside of a plastic bag first then you wouldn't have to worry about the spray-in foam insulation sticking to the tank and messing it up. It might not hurt to get some of that black foam pipe insulation to put on the tubing going from the tank to the chiller and from the chiller to the PC to avoid the loss of coldness.

On your 1/2 to 1/4 NPT fitting, get a barb fitting for the inside and put a piece of tubing on it to force water to enter the tank on the opposite end of where it leaves the tank to force circulation of the water inside of the tank. This will help keep all of the water in the tank the same temperature.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LifeMade-Envirocooler-Biodegradable-28-QT-Chest-Cooler-White/779723826?

090718aa-2dad-4895-99da-a80cfa19e830.40f

Awesome. That's so sweet. 🧡

I am going to get a roll of that stick foam that is just like what’s on the chillers internal tank.  

All of my tubing is insulated with 5/8 ID pipe foam, and my tubing is 5/8 OD, it was a tight fit getting everything installed. I’m not really after crazy cold temps, I’m just after accurate/consistent temps if possible. If my water is 15C, I want it to stay around that temp +/- 10% threshold 15-17C tops. Right now I am at about a +/- 35% threshold lol. If my GPU is running 24C in a game, it could get as warm as 32.5C due to warming water and chiller kick on delay. When pushing the very bleeding edge of GPU overclocks that massive deviation and delay can cause annoying stability issues. I may try the foam cooler method, if wrapping it in black foam sheets doesn’t work very well. The plastic is 1/4” thick on the tank. I’m hoping it will already be decently insulated and just need the thin foam sheet layer.

• Thumb Up 3

13900KF

54 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

I am going to get a roll of that stick foam that is just like what’s on the chillers internal tank.  

All of my tubing is insulated with 5/8 ID pipe foam, and my tubing is 5/8 OD, it was a tight fit getting everything installed. I’m not really after crazy cold temps, I’m just after accurate/consistent temps if possible. If my water is 15C, I want it to stay around that temp +/- 10% threshold 15-17C tops. Right now I am at about a +/- 35% threshold lol. If my GPU is running 24C in a game, it could get as warm as 32.5C due to warming water and chiller kick on delay. When pushing the very bleeding edge of GPU overclocks that massive deviation and delay can cause annoying stability issues. I may try the foam cooler method, if wrapping it in black foam sheets doesn’t work very well. The plastic is 1/4” thick on the tank. I’m hoping it will already be decently insulated and just need the thin foam sheet layer.

I just thought of something. Are you going to rely on internal pressure buildup in the tank to keep the water flowing? You might need more pumps or a much stronger pump because of how big the tank will be. The chiller tank is filled with coils that chill the water if I am remembering correctly, so there is not as much dead space inside of it. But 10 gallons, or even 5 gallons, is a lot of water to keep moving and I wonder if normal PC pumps will be able to handle that well enough. If you place a pump on both inlet and outlet sides it might be adequate, but I am thinking they should both be situated close to the inlet and outlet. At least a pump near the tank on the outlet side. If the fittings are not on opposite ends of the tank, or you do not put a hose on the inlet side, inside of the tank, to cause it to expel water from the hose that reaches to the opposite end of the tank it might take longer to get the water cold, and/or be more difficult to keep it cold, due to poor circulation if both ports are on the same end of the tank. The water flow would take the shortest path and it might stay warm on the dead end, if that makes sense.

• Thumb Up 1

The top-end RTX 4090 seems particularly hard to grab.

A report citing several PC hardware stores in Tokyo raises concerns about an impending shortage of Nvidia GeForce RTX 40 series graphics cards, particularly at the high end. Japan's ITmedia PC User has surveyed several electronics stores in Tokyo's famous Akihabara Electric Town district, and elsewhere, with the conclusion that "the stock of cards equipped with GeForce RTX 4090/4080 is thinning across the city."

Another PC outlet in Akihabara said that it sees high demand for the flagship RTX 4090, as well as the RTX 4070 Ti. Nevertheless, this store manager is "deliberately stocking up on RTX 4080 cards," as the time will come when this GPU isn't overlooked.

What About the US?

At the time of writing, the likes of Amazon and Newegg appear to have ample stocks of GeForce RTX 4090 models. For how long will this last? What is the best way to keep up MSRP for the best cards? Keep the stock levels balanced and don'trush out loads of 4090s? Better with a slight shortage of cards people really want. And better with low stock of cards don't want to buy. 

Cheaper GeForce RTX 4090 cards hard to come by in Japan, low demand for RTX 4080

https://videocardz.com/newz/cheaper-geforce-rtx-4090-cards-hard-to-come-by-in-japan-low-demand-for-rtx-4080

Another retailer explained the intentional low stock of RTX 4080 cards, stating, “Due to the issue of overlap, fewer people are choosing RTX 4080 cards. Many opt for RTX 4070 Ti if they seek high-end performance, and for ultra-high-end, they go up to RTX 4090. Therefore, we deliberately limit our stock.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

The top-end RTX 4090 seems particularly hard to grab.

A report citing several PC hardware stores in Tokyo raises concerns about an impending shortage of Nvidia GeForce RTX 40 series graphics cards, particularly at the high end. Japan's ITmedia PC User has surveyed several electronics stores in Tokyo's famous Akihabara Electric Town district, and elsewhere, with the conclusion that "the stock of cards equipped with GeForce RTX 4090/4080 is thinning across the city."

Another PC outlet in Akihabara said that it sees high demand for the flagship RTX 4090, as well as the RTX 4070 Ti. Nevertheless, this store manager is "deliberately stocking up on RTX 4080 cards," as the time will come when this GPU isn't overlooked.

What About the US?

At the time of writing, the likes of Amazon and Newegg appear to have ample stocks of GeForce RTX 4090 models. For how long will this last? What is the best way to keep up MSRP for the best cards? Keep the stock levels balanced and don'trush out loads of 4090s? Better with a slight shortage of cards people really want. And better with low stock of cards don't want to buy. 

Cheaper GeForce RTX 4090 cards hard to come by in Japan, low demand for RTX 4080

https://videocardz.com/newz/cheaper-geforce-rtx-4090-cards-hard-to-come-by-in-japan-low-demand-for-rtx-4080

Another retailer explained the intentional low stock of RTX 4080 cards, stating, “Due to the issue of overlap, fewer people are choosing RTX 4080 cards. Many opt for RTX 4070 Ti if they seek high-end performance, and for ultra-high-end, they go up to RTX 4090. Therefore, we deliberately limit our stock.

Not really surprising since Nvidia themselves stated that they are limiting supply to keep demand higher by extension justify the higher price tag. 

Personally I wont be upgrading for a while, 3090 still plays everything I want @1440p144hz. Even then, my gaming time has gone down a bit since I am working on professional enrichment these days.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

I just thought of something. Are you going to rely on internal pressure buildup in the tank to keep the water flowing? You might need more pumps or a much stronger pump because of how big the tank will be. The chiller tank is filled with coils that chill the water if I am remembering correctly, so there is not as much dead space inside of it. But 10 gallons, or even 5 gallons, is a lot of water to keep moving and I wonder if normal PC pumps will be able to handle that well enough. If you place a pump on both inlet and outlet sides it might be adequate, but I am thinking they should both be situated close to the inlet and outlet. At least a pump near the tank on the outlet side. If the fittings are not on opposite ends of the tank, or you do not put a hose on the inlet side, inside of the tank, to cause it to expel water from the hose that reaches to the opposite end of the tank it might take longer to get the water cold, and/or be more difficult to keep it cold, due to poor circulation if both ports are on the same end of the tank. The water flow would take the shortest path and it might stay warm on the dead end, if that makes sense.

I am not sure how I’m going to route everything, I have (4) D5’s right now I think it may be enough but I might need to

seriously rethink their locations I may even transition to the Eheim 1260 pumps that are 110V, I didn’t want to do that. I may grab some G1/4 to G/4 fittings and direct thread (2) D5 pumps right on the tank inlet and outlet, then run a support D5 near my PC parts, and run another support D5 on the chiller side. 

My water pressure right now is seriously an insane amount. I can totally fill my 300MM reservoir, and with a tea pitcher of distilled water ready to go I can’t pour fast enough before my reservoir is dry and sucking air. 

I may even run a D5 direct thread to the chiller inlet and one on the outlet, and D5’s direct threaded to the tank inlet and tank outlet and just hook my PC up in between those lines. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

13900KF

@Reciever

You should try the Kingpin 520W bios. It’s the best bios for any RTX3090 model. It will make your 3090 slightly faster than a stock 3090Ti FE. It is absolutely worth it! I know several people who use the bios on an FE, and other random 3090 AIB models. 

You won’t need to overclock at all, the card will automatically run 2,025-2,070Mhz depending on your temp. 

13900KF

35 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

@Reciever

You should try the Kingpin 520W bios. It’s the best bios for any RTX3090 model. It will make your 3090 slightly faster than a stock 3090Ti FE. It is absolutely worth it! I know several people who use the bios on an FE, and other random 3090 AIB models. 

You won’t need to overclock at all, the card will automatically run 2,025-2,070Mhz depending on your temp. 

Where can I source that vBIOS? I did try the 1000w vBIOS but it also introduced odd behaviors during gaming so I went back to the standard vBIOS for my card. Most I usually pull is around 500w depending on the title of course.

On 9/29/2023 at 4:45 AM, Papusan said:

Yup. I don't jump on 13900KS after giving my MB and 13900K for free to my oldest son. I'll jump right on 14900K once they are released here home. And I'll need a new motherboard. Hope the so called #refreshed# boards is ready before 14th gen launch here home. The faster I get the parts, the faster my son can start upgrade his machine, so it won't be the 14900KS🙂 One thing for sure. The 13900K I have won't be an bottleneck for his 2080Ti.

First step, ordered while I had the chance......... Asus Rog Maximus Z790 Apex Encore. $902 USD ($720 without the dreaded 25% Norwegian tax).  But I still can't see any 14900K in the shops. I'll continue follow up this one 🙂

This rehashed Z790 Apex board is 30% higher priced than Z690 Apex. In short same motherboards as the Z690 Apex with some minor/minscule changes. Again.... Disgusting. And the inflation in prices the last two years have been sub 10%. Not the awful  30% price hike as Asus now want. 

APEX-ENCORE

Edit. Z790 Apex Encore: spotted in Norway!

https://overclocking.com/z790-apex-encore-reperee-en-norvege/

On 9/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, electrosoft said:

Who's getting one? I'm pretty sure @Talon will be snagging one. 🤣 Who else on the 17th?

What if we could pick up one before release date?🙂

The beauty is in in the details... Some people think they have found up the wheel a second time.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

Where can I source that vBIOS? I did try the 1000w vBIOS but it also introduced odd behaviors during gaming so I went back to the standard vBIOS for my card. Most I usually pull is around 500w depending on the title of course.

I can send you mine right off the card. The 1KW bios is quirky. I only recommend it for the actual 3090KP. That bios uses default clocks, and lower voltages. Since with the KPX tool we can increase the voltages etc it makes it not as quirky on the KP cards. 

The 520W bios is much better for a daily. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1

13900KF

I used the 1KW vBIOS almost exclusively and I had zero issues with it. But, I also increased my core voltage to like 1.350V and 1.400V, maxed out the LLC to stop vdroop and increased the VRM switching to like 800K, which you can't do on a consumer card. I did not overclock using the stock voltage and 100mV slider because that wasn't nearly enough. The 520W vBIOS was excellent for everyday gaming and just letting the GPU work normally without overclocking. But, I almost never used it. I just left the switch on for the 1KW firmware all of the time. I also kept the boost lock enabled almost all of the time.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

I can send you mine right off the card. The 1KW bios is quirky. I only recommend it for the actual 3090KP. That bios uses default clocks, and lower voltages. Since with the KPX tool we can increase the voltages etc it makes it not as quirky on the KP cards. 

The 520W bios is much better for a daily. 

Yeah the 1K vBIOS did well for benchmarking last winter, I still have it for this year when I try swapping the fans out to force the temps lower, plan to do the same thing to the other cards I have where it makes sense to do so.

I'll look forward to when you can share that vBIOS :)