NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

32 minutes ago, Papusan said:

The 3rd fan is only useful for half of the cooling capcity on the 1/3rd of backend of the card. I hate such trade-off.

If you need more space in your chassi to bend the power cable correct... Then buy a new bigger chassis. A cramped or small chassis will hamper the cooling.

Lesser is less whatever you say. I want more. Not less. 

A bigger chassis is always better for a high performance PC. But, you know not everyone thinks as we do. Someone that likes or needs a smaller case could still appreciate the position of the connector. Even with both of my very large cases, the 12VHPWR comes close to the glass. If either case were an inch narrower it would be a tight fit. That's because the 12VHPWR connector is a idiotic design and a fool's invention no matter how you look at it, not because the cases are made incorrectly. Cases should not need to be redesigned because NVIDIA forced an abortion on the industry. But, they do need to be because NVIDIA did. So case manufacturers and PSU manufacturers were both forced into creating something new because of the Green Goblin, or PC owners were forced to make compromises like using ugly pigtail adapters or leaving the side panel off if they did not want to buy a new case. That really sucks.

I still do not understand why some of the AIB partners didn't ignore the mandate and use 3x or 4x of the legacy 8-pin power connectors and tel NVIDIA to stuff it up their tailpipe. I wish they would have.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

A bigger chassis is always better for a high performance PC. But, you know not everyone thinks as we do. Someone that likes or needs a smaller case could still appreciate the position of the connector. Even with both of my very large cases, the 12VHPWR comes close to the glass. If either case were an inch narrower it would be a tight fit. That's because the 12VHPWR connector is a idiotic design and a fool's invention no matter how you look at it, not because the cases are made incorrectly. Cases should not need to be redesigned because NVIDIA forced an abortion on the industry. But, they do need to be because NVIDIA did.

I still do not understand why some of the AIB partners didn't ignore the mandate and use 3x or 4x of the legacy 8-pin power connectors and tel NVIDIA to stuff it up their tailpipe. I wish they would have.

If they still want to keep their small nasty Jookebook chassis. They will be limited to what they can find of new cards. Almost as proprietary design. You can swap parts but you have to look after "special" versions of all new graphics cards. I don't like it.... Because we may see alll AIB partners cut corners and castrate the cooling... Need to fit into next gen trash-boxes. Nope... This is not for me. I like it big. Big or better is better... For me 🙂 I also hate sit into baby cars. I need room. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

26 minutes ago, Papusan said:

If they still want to keep their small nasty Jookebook chassis. They will be limited to what they can find of new cards. Almost as proprietary design. You can swap parts but you have to look after "special" versions of all new graphics cards. I don't like it.... Because we may see alll AIB partners cut corners and castrate the cooling... Need to fit into next gen trash-boxes. Nope... This is not for me. I like it big. Big or better is better... For me 🙂 I also hate sit into baby cars. I need room. 

Yes, I understand. We think the same things. But, I still blame NVIDIA for creating new problems where no problems existed before. And, there are many very big tower cases that were big enough before the stupid 12VHPWR adapter was forced on GeFarts AIB partners and PC owners. If you have a big PC and a big case that you like, an E-ATX motherboard and a fancy cooling system, having to purchase a different large case only for 12VHPWR side panel clearance and a different PSU to have a factory 12VHPWR cable really sucks and it was an unwarranted business decision that was a very crappy thing for the Green Goblin to do. There was no benefit whatsoever to consumers with these frivolous design changes. Consumers received nothing from the design changes except for unnecessary added expenses, hassles and inconvenience.

This would be like a car maker changing the wheel hubs from 5 lugs to 6 lugs and if you had to replace one hub because of a bad wheel bearing you are forced into buying three matching hub and bearing assemblies and four new wheels that you did not need.

• Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, I understand. We think the same things. But, I still blame NVIDIA for creating new problems where no problems existed before. And, there are many very big tower cases that were big enough before the stupid 12VHPWR adapter was forced on GeFarts AIB partners and PC owners. If you have a big PC and a big case that you like, an E-ATX motherboard and a fancy cooling system, having to purchase a different large case only for 12VHPWR side panel clearance and a different PSU to have a factory 12VHPWR cable really sucks and it was an unwarranted business decision that was a very crappy thing for the Green Goblin to do. There was no benefit whatsoever to consumers with these frivolous design changes. Consumers received nothing from the design changes except for unnecessary added expenses, hassles and inconvenience.

This would be like a car maker changing the wheel hubs from 5 lugs to 6 lugs and if you had to replace one hub because of a bad wheel bearing you are forced into buying three matching hub and bearing assemblies and four new wheels that you did not need.

Nvidia made the pcb design for cost cutting. And there is no space for 3*8 pins on such small pretty v-shaped pcb design. We should be happy AIB partners still have an opportunity to make custom pcb design. They should also be allowed to use the needed 8pin connectors to power the new graphics cards. 

And for chassis… We now see a small change how some design the chassis. More and more chassis comes with wider (dual chamber) chassis. I just hope they take into account the width from the board to the door. But don’t expect every chassis makers really understand the problem with width for new cards (You can’t cure stupidity). New cards come up to +15 cm in width. Then add the stupid connectors and the cable bend ratio. 

if you look at etc Dell they have started make angled 12+4 pin power connectors and custom small cards because they want smaller cute puke-boxes. I hate stupid customers who can't grasp that modern high performance hardware needs to breathe. They destroy for all. Same happened with laptops. Soon we will se the same sadness for high performance desktop systems. The Apple trend need to be stopped.

Back to some beauty. The The Northern Light flash up here in Sothern Norway. Enjoy the colors🙂 

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/RzRjkd/kraftig-nordlys-i-soer-norge

53e62b6f-4848-4a82-ac16-e88cac7452e3?for

• Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

On 5/8/2024 at 3:47 PM, Mr. Fox said:

That is truly appalling and I hope that horribly tragic and unrecoverably devastating things happen to Micro$oft and they end up filing bankruptcy. They do not deserve to live anymore (speaking of the company, not the individuals employed by them and their families, other than finding a new place to work).

Brother @Raiderman is going to love hearing he won't even be able to get Windows 10 drivers. Hopefully they will be easy enough to mod for Windows 10, but the Redmond Reprobate Cartel have been pretty effective at going full-psycho-Nazi on blocking Windows 7 driver mods.

This also is an extremely negative reflection on AMD for being so willing to bow down and worship the biggest coward clown possee in the technology space (Micro$lop). But, don't be too surprised if Intel joins them in elevating the coward clown possee and validating their criminal behavior. It's probably just AMD being the first to prostitute themselves.

The level of blind obeissance the industry demonstrates to Redmond's Digital Dictatorship is too repulsive for words. I think the only possible ways to explain it is that it is being driven either by  inter-industry collusion or blackmail. Either way, it is criminal by nature and intent. Their malign approach to things should be against the law.

Allowing hemorrhoids to go untreated can have undesirable complications. Now we have an example of what can happen when you pretend they will get better with time and do nothing.

Isn't it odd, that back in the day, we couldn't wait to install their latest OS. I remember running pirate copies of early XP betas as daily drivers. Now they must force everyone to their next gen OS, as if they know their product is pure crap. Such a shame they went in the toilet. AMD just happened to be the first of many to follow, I'm sure.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

thanks @Papusan

I thought 30 days.

turbo causes the cpu to overheat but I expected that from a laptop with a i9 13900hx. in the end its faster than a 12th gen i9 even when underclocked so its not a deal breaker. performance is incredible I remember @tps3443 posting crysis benchmarks and thought about what it would be like to have a computer like that. I honestly dont know how the heck to optimize this thing.

get good cpu performance/average overall performance/gpu performance. pick one ha. so yeah its a bit frustrating finding out the cpu is locked.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

thanks @Papusan

I thought 30 days.

turbo causes the cpu to overheat but I expected that from a laptop with a i9 13900hx. in the end its faster than a 12th gen i9 even when underclocked so its not a deal breaker. performance is incredible I remember @tps3443 posting crysis benchmarks and thought about what it would be like to have a computer like that. I honestly dont know how the heck to optimize this thing.

get good cpu performance/average overall performance/gpu performance. pick one ha. so yeah its a bit frustrating finding out the cpu is locked.

Spend the remaining days well and think tvice or tripple on what to do. See bro @Prema running 14th gen mobile (14900HX) with equal cores but custom firmware in his laptop... https://hwbot.org/submission/5552602 Then compare with the results from your 13900HX

GTX1070 - 3rd place 3DM 05

https://hwbot.org/submission/5556639_papusan_3dmark05_geforce_gtx_1070_113601_marks?recalculate=true

3149863.jpg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

nice...

yeah I wont be getting 40k unless acer releases the bios update to allow for overclocking. I managed to get 29k stock. not great not bad. Im playing around with it now and just have one goal...get cpu temps under control and have decent performance. i might just overclock gpu and throttle cpu and use 4k. I will be gpu bottlenecked anyways.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

1 hour ago, ryan said:

nice...

yeah I wont be getting 40k unless acer releases the bios update to allow for overclocking. I managed to get 29k stock. not great not bad. Im playing around with it now and just have one goal...get cpu temps under control and have decent performance. i might just overclock gpu and throttle cpu and use 4k. I will be gpu bottlenecked anyways.

Did you run CBR-23 with realtime settings?

GTX1070 - 2nd place 3DM 06 Right below LN2 on 1th 🙂

https://hwbot.org/submission/5556669_papusan_3dmark06_geforce_gtx_1070_90881_marks?recalculate=true

3149883.jpg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

Uh oh.....Asus repair is now in GN's crosshairs....

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

been playing with this thing for three days.

thoughts

this thing runs hot, then again it has top end products in a semi thin and light its to be expected. honestly though if your gunning for stock performance like say 18k in time spy and 37k in firestrike, which is double a rtx 3060 I say its great it hovers mid 60s once tuned for stock scores. gaming, honestly its called a 4080 175w but it runs like a 4090 when both are stock, I love this thing for one reason....when I boot up windows I don't have to tweak, its basically a one trick pony, press a button and your given max performance that this thing can handle. 

If your into overclocking and scores, this thing is terrible. runs too hot to overclock and has no wiggle room its either lower cpu to gain on gpu or visa versa no middle ground...once you balance gpu and cpu the end result is a laptop that feels like its on fire suprised it doesnt glow red like a ember. i'll have to decide to keep it or take it back. am I happy with stock 4090 performance for 3000 bucks or was my 3060 laptop good enough. honestly all this thing did was double framerates it does nothing else, and when you can simply turn on dlss and lower settings the experience for gaming is the same. one big thing I will mention though is FG, when you have double the rasterization power and add frame generation its 4x the framerates. I was getting 7fps in cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p full settings. now at 1600p and with the help of power and FG im seeing 76fps..example below. thats 12x the performance and if this is an indicator of where my money went then ill take it. but not every game I like has FG just a handful of some top games.

if your following this thread and want to game...I swear just buy a xbox series x and call it a day.

Screenshot-58.png

205/650 

Screenshot-59.png

stock

Screenshot-60.png

as you can see, the overclock does almost nothing to performance. 0 reason to overclock when you gain 5-7fps and your temps go from 60c to 100c...sad day for me. realize things have caught up to gaming, we don't need 7ghz cpus and when 2.2ghz 24core cpu gets same game performance as 5.4ghz i feel a sinking gut feeling my hobbys dead

look carefully at the temps in the pictures. 98c in the flipping menu while gpu is overclocked and cpu is in turbo/ thats with fans on max and a iets gt500 beastly cooler and liquid metal. then with turbo off its 66c in menu.

example of what you get no tweeks.

whisper mode, basically silent

wisper.png

balanced, first mode that lets you adjust fan speed

balanced.png

performance mode, no overclock just plain neutral performance

performance.png

this is the magic one. great performance(4090 level) great temps

turbo, overclocked gpu(100/200) cpu at 5.4ghz highest settings

turbo.png

laptop cant cool turbo mode so i dont know why it exists and who feels comfortable with 95c on cpu and 91c on gpu after a 10min session.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1
  • Sad 3

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

10 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Uh oh.....Asus repair is now in GN's crosshairs....

This is nothing new for ASUS. It's no different than their scams and lies about bent socket pins that were not bent before they received it, denying warranty because of a spec of thermal paste on the black plastic exterior part of the CPU socket and claims of water damage when their is none. They are as scummy as it gets when it comes to shirking their responsibilities and have been for years. They are truly a despicable company.

image.png

13 hours ago, Raiderman said:

AMD just happened to be the first of many to follow, I'm sure.

Yeah, no question. The rest of the muppets in the industry will kiss their butt and fall in line like they always do. None of them do the right thing and none of them care about the people that purchase their products.

Nice... A trashy new and totally unnecessary form factor for turdbook memory. The video explaining the "benefits" does a nice job of highlight the fact that their focus is on making chintzy trash even chintzier than before. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

6 hours ago, ryan said:

been playing with this thing for three days.

thoughts

this thing runs hot, then again it has top end products in a semi thin and light its to be expected. honestly though if your gunning for stock performance like say 18k in time spy and 37k in firestrike, which is double a rtx 3060 I say its great it hovers mid 60s once tuned for stock scores. gaming, honestly its called a 4080 175w but it runs like a 4090 when both are stock, I love this thing for one reason....when I boot up windows I don't have to tweak, its basically a one trick pony, press a button and your given max performance that this thing can handle. 

If your into overclocking and scores, this thing is terrible. runs too hot to overclock and has no wiggle room its either lower cpu to gain on gpu or visa versa no middle ground...once you balance gpu and cpu the end result is a laptop that feels like its on fire suprised it doesnt glow red like a ember. i'll have to decide to keep it or take it back. am I happy with stock 4090 performance for 3000 bucks or was my 3060 laptop good enough. honestly all this thing did was double framerates it does nothing else, and when you can simply turn on dlss and lower settings the experience for gaming is the same. one big thing I will mention though is FG, when you have double the rasterization power and add frame generation its 4x the framerates. I was getting 7fps in cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p full settings. now at 1600p and with the help of power and FG im seeing 76fps..example below. thats 12x the performance and if this is an indicator of where my money went then ill take it. but not every game I like has FG just a handful of some top games.

if your following this thread and want to game...I swear just buy a xbox series x and call it a day.

Screenshot-58.png

205/650 

Screenshot-59.png

stock

Screenshot-60.png

as you can see, the overclock does almost nothing to performance. 0 reason to overclock when you gain 5-7fps and your temps go from 60c to 100c...sad day for me. realize things have caught up to gaming, we don't need 7ghz cpus and when 2.2ghz 24core cpu gets same game performance as 5.4ghz i feel a sinking gut feeling my hobbys dead

look carefully at the temps in the pictures. 98c in the flipping menu while gpu is overclocked and cpu is in turbo/ thats with fans on max and a iets gt500 beastly cooler and liquid metal. then with turbo off its 66c in menu.

example of what you get no tweeks.

whisper mode, basically silent

wisper.png

balanced, first mode that lets you adjust fan speed

balanced.png

performance mode, no overclock just plain neutral performance

performance.png

this is the magic one. great performance(4090 level) great temps

turbo, overclocked gpu(100/200) cpu at 5.4ghz highest settings

turbo.png

laptop cant cool turbo mode so i dont know why it exists and who feels comfortable with 95c on cpu and 91c on gpu after a 10min session.

Intel's design spec like AMDs now allows and encourages CPUs to run up to 100c and 95c respectively.

Our job is to maximize the cooling solution (IE fix flaws off the assembly line and/or beef up the cooler) and tune a UV if able to extract maximum performance under that thermal envelope. 🙂

In terms of full control of our laptops out of box and allowed by the makers, MSI reigns supreme in their Titan series as it is basically their desktop BIOS on a laptop. Second is Asus as they do provide some control including a BIOS level UV but it is neutered compared to their full desktop experience. Some of the Clevo models do have modified BIOSes to a degree but anything post 11th gen X170SM/KM hardware wise is thin and light in design in comparison except maybe the Titan which is a behemoth. If it wasn't so darn expensive I would consider getting one but it is stupidly expensive

It still comes down to are you happy playing with dialed down settings? If so, even a 3060 will get you by in most cases. I'm a glutton for eye candy and max settings. Others don't care and it's about playing and that's it. Most fall somewhere in between.

That's a nice chunk of doubloons you splashed out for that laptop. If you're not 100% happy, return it and contemplate do you want to wait for another laptop or buy a pre-built or slowly start building out a desktop.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

its hard to say. I feel ashamed, I called them and mentioned the overheating and the rep acted as though its common place and im not sure if they will allow me to return it, if I can't Its still a great laptop but Im inclined to return it and just tough it out, keep the money and make due with my 3060. like do i really need 260-300 fps in a few good games, sure its fast but does it change the expeience and make the game funner or more immersive. if I want immersive I have my meta quest 2, if I want a one touch system then I could have bought an xbox for 500. I think im going to hang tight on this one, It will last me 5 years, my omen lasted 2 years and it was worth every penny. I have 6 laptops now, and im sure I can sell some on ebay for a decent dollar, that way im not just collecting laptops that are in turn collecting dust. lucky for me I have a 4tb ssd thats sitting around my place and can put it into the acer, I havent tried 4k gaming on my oled tv but perhaps when i get the chance to hook it all up and do what i planned(4k gaming) ill change my mind.

4k/120 is what i wanted...we will see if the 4080-4090 laptops can do 4k

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

7 minutes ago, ryan said:

its hard to say. I feel ashamed, I called them and mentioned the overheating and the rep acted as though its common place and im not sure if they will allow me to return it, if I can't Its still a great laptop but Im inclined to return it and just tough it out, keep the money and make due with my 3060. like do i really need 260-300 fps in a few good games, sure its fast but does it change the expeience and make the game funner or more immersive. if I want immersive I have my meta quest 2, if I want a one touch system then I could have bought an xbox for 500. I think im going to hang tight on this one, It will last me 5 years, my omen lasted 2 years and it was worth every penny. I have 6 laptops now, and im sure I can sell some on ebay for a decent dollar, that way im not just collecting laptops that are in turn collecting dust. lucky for me I have a 4tb ssd thats sitting around my place and can put it into the acer, I havent tried 4k gaming on my oled tv but perhaps when i get the chance to hook it all up and do what i planned(4k gaming) ill change my mind.

Unfortunately you will never get a laptop that doesn't overheat, IMO. Unless a revolutionary cooling design is invented. Thin and light, with today's hardware = half as hot as the sun.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Bump 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

the only way to get 70c temps is to set it to performance and run cpu at 3.5ghz vs the stock 5.4ghz. the gpu slows down clocks and overclocking on gpu and cpu is locked out but the saving grace is the high stock performance. I was excited because I want to push it to the limit and get some records, not happening aside from the 53k on firestirke gpu score. I dont think having a great gpu and overheating i9 cpu is a big deal as games really dont need this kind of power cpu wise. like I disabled turbo so it was running at 2.2ghz and to my suprise all the games i like were unaffected.

• Sad 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

32 minutes ago, ryan said:

You're getting ~3080ti performance w/ 4000 series benefits (DLSS, FG, etc...) along with more than enough CPU power. It can definitely do 4k but if you want to lock in 120fps you will just need to dial in your settings to find the perfect balance per game just as you would on a desktop. I had to adjust the wife's settings in WoW even for 1440p to keep her fps consistently above 100fps at all times on her 32" 165hs display. It is doable.

Like I said before, when I was stuck with a 3060 and a 3070 between my 3090 FE and 3090 KPE, I just massively dialed down my expectations/settings and I was able to game at 4k but it was ugly and I couldn't wait for my 3090 KPE queue to pop so I could get one ASAP. 🙂

If you keep it, shed 4-5 of your other laptops and keep one that has perfect portability and your gaming monster, bank the $$$ and call it a wrap.

19 minutes ago, Raiderman said:

Unfortunately you will never get a laptop that doesn't overheat, IMO. Unless a revolutionary cooling design is invented. Thin and light, with today's hardware = half as hot as the sun.

It is a market reality and the masses have spoken. Most people do not want to lug around tanks or tinker with their hardware but they do want decent performance. They want to plug it in, boot it up and go and there's nothing wrong with that. Everybody's built different. Having tested several thinner and lighter gaming laptops over the last few years or so sent to me for evaluation from Acer, Asus. MSI and Dell/Alienware, I can fully attest to the fact they do start up, setup and work relatively just fine and can game right out of the box and for most users that is all they want to do.

Everybody I know (or just about everybody) in normal day to day life just wants to flick a switch and go and that's ok. Just like some want to just get behind the wheel of their car and go and that's ok too. 🙂

For myself, I see immediate areas of overheating, overvolting, poor cooling implementation, bios restrictions, bad memory selection (horrific timings or only including one module), bloatware, restrictive software and more and I have to separate MY reality from the average users reality when evaluating them because it isn't realistic unless it is such a gross abuse of design decisions that I need to address it.

I really lament the loss of choice in regards to having at least one or two tanks available for us who like both. 😞

Just give me a P870'esque chassis with a Prema level BIOS and modern desktop hardware along with MXM level options beyond Ampere and I'm good to go. I love binning parts and tinkering inside while spelunking around the BIOS to dial everything in as much as possible but that has slowly eroded over the years to the point of near non-existence.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

honestly I have a great bin gpu. it does 205/600---up and im happy with that but overclocking gains of 50 percent are long gone, we just don't get the massive gains, now its like 5-10 percent boost. I think im going to keep it, im happy with 18k timespy and 70c temps. 4k/1600p not a bad option and the fact in games im able to turn off ecores and get 4090 performance with one bios setting im pretty happy with that. I think its a boost of going from 44k to 50k with a flick of a switch and the temps are just fine with this setting. lose cpu performance but honestly ive been testing for 3 days and can't find a game that needs more cpu power than the setting im using (3.4ghz)

• Bump 1
  • Confused 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

3 hours ago, ryan said:

4080 mobile is on level with 4070 tier desktop cards. And they aren’t 4K cards. The fake frames generator works with all 4000 series cards. Get rid of it. Buy something else as I have already posted. And don’t be screwed by some support tech. Claim your rights!!!! Don’t let em screw you. 

Return to sender!!! Aka back to the shop it goes. There’s no way back brother @ryan. Return it. I’m serious. I won’t accept lackluster buys from my hard earned money. Neither should you. Even a so called good high end laptop is trash. Give me my money back please. For me…. I'm all in. I would never ever find it smart buying laptops since 2015/16. Clevo P870 is my end of the laptptop road. They all are waste of your money since. And please also listen on bro @Mr. Fox as well. A very smart man. One time AW jockey… Never again. And I can repeat this. All laptop from any company sucks. And they sucks hard. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Bump 2

3 hours ago, ryan said:

honestly I have a great bin gpu. it does 205/600---up and im happy with that but overclocking gains of 50 percent are long gone, we just don't get the massive gains, now its like 5-10 percent boost. I think im going to keep it, im happy with 18k timespy and 70c temps. 4k/1600p not a bad option and the fact in games im able to turn off ecores and get 4090 performance with one bios setting im pretty happy with that. I think its a boost of going from 44k to 50k with a flick of a switch and the temps are just fine with this setting. lose cpu performance but honestly ive been testing for 3 days and can't find a game that needs more cpu power than the setting im using (3.4ghz)

If it's any consolation, massive gains are gone on the desktop too with AMD, Intel and Nvidia using dynamic boosting to allow users to get a massive amount of clocking out of their chips and allowing each piece of silicon to smartly boost as much as possible based upon cooling, power and silicon quality.

What's the warranty on it? That's more important than many other factors. 🙂

• Thumb Up 3

6 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Intel's design spec like AMDs now allows and encourages CPUs to run up to 100c and 95c respectively.

Our job is to maximize the cooling solution (IE fix flaws off the assembly line and/or beef up the cooler) and tune a UV if able to extract maximum performance under that thermal envelope. 🙂

In terms of full control of our laptops out of box and allowed by the makers, MSI reigns supreme in their Titan series as it is basically their desktop BIOS on a laptop. Second is Asus as they do provide some control including a BIOS level UV but it is neutered compared to their full desktop experience. Some of the Clevo models do have modified BIOSes to a degree but anything post 11th gen X170SM/KM hardware wise is thin and light in design in comparison except maybe the Titan which is a behemoth. If it wasn't so darn expensive I would consider getting one but it is stupidly expensive

It still comes down to are you happy playing with dialed down settings? If so, even a 3060 will get you by in most cases. I'm a glutton for eye candy and max settings. Others don't care and it's about playing and that's it. Most fall somewhere in between.

That's a nice chunk of doubloons you splashed out for that laptop. If you're not 100% happy, return it and contemplate do you want to wait for another laptop or buy a pre-built or slowly start building out a desktop.

Don't worry, we should be able to acquire and play around with that MSI Titan 18 HX in about a year to a year and a half when it depreciates to about half its current price.

It's crazy how fast computers and their parts depreciate in value. Some keep their value over time, but more often than not, I see them depreciate like crazy. This is especially true for ultra high end laptops after the next gen comes out the following year.

I've had my X170SM-G for the last 2 and a half years (bought it after the KM-G model came out), and I sometimes see fully decked out X170KM-Gs going for around $1,000 on ebay. That's about 40% of what I put into my system when I first got it, holy moly!

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1
  • Sad 2

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

6 hours ago, ryan said:

With temps like that especially the GPU, it'll be fried in less in a year or so, plus its throttling too, Either avoid running it on turbo mode or just return it. You should be able to return it without question if you're not happy with it, dont let the rep convince you to keep it if you're not happy with it especially when you spent a lot of money on it. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Bump 2

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

thankfully I found that. looks like everyone has the same problem so I guess im getting premo performance out of it..lolz average as per my luck/choices.

I am debating on risking never being able to set foot in visions, 3k is alot of cashola. I would make them take it back. ha its funny because I went in this with a level head thinking....ok this thing will run hot with its i9 and if i get stock performance out of the gpu thats better than my omen experience. well it scores 19500 on gpu stock no overclock but thats about it for scores. I cant push it, only way to get a higher gpu score is to disable e cores in bios then overclock it like crazy in turbo mode, but just like it sounds it gets toasty, top plate was smoking hot with my cooler, so i removed cooler thinking the vents might have just been blocked and it was inhibiting the cooling. in the end its the same temps but laptop chassis feels cool to the touch even after 40 min session. played ratchet and clank for 20 min and was around 90-120fps maxed at 1600p and then some 2019 grid the racing game for an hour. felt the hot spot and it was just luke warm, so its possible the temps are false because it sure isn't throttling or feeling hot it just says 99-100c but funny thing is when its at 99c it boosts from 5100 to 5400mhz lol this thing caught my schizophrenia, it litterally is crazy, I set the tdp to 50w and the thing boosts to 5.4ghz and reports 55w and basically behaves the same if it were 157w...thats a first in computing for me.

honestly I think this laptop is designed for newbs to just run great out of the box but not designed nor allowing tweaking to improve or modify. I have changed the nvidia control panel settings with nvidia profile inspector and when id typically see a 5-10percent boost im seeing 0.1 percent change up or down. very interesting laptop in that i hope this isnt the future. I thought it was bad enough they removed mxm ect but locking software settings to save time on the phone troubleshooting with a random guy...terrible very cheap..

but as far as laptops for 3k and a 4080 go i had a legion locked for 2800 but with a amd 7945hx and im glad i didn't go for it as the miniled display on this laptop is incred. I actually got wowed with how smooth and clear it is, it actually makes the games look better while moving. sure it has great colors but i have a sony and lg tv for that sort of thing. its the motion that blows me away.

to keep or not to keep.

i need your guys opinion. keep in mind its a monster upgrade over what i typically have. and im happy with stock performance. ok so ive decided to disable e cores and overclock gpu and heres the end result..

is this worth 3k over a 3060.

Screenshot-79.png

heres what it can do with a little bump of gpu and a bump down to cpu

Screenshot-81.png

and in the end its for gaming heres cyber punk 1440p highest preset.

Screenshot-82.png

and the verdict. its better than a 4070 desktop so as far as pricing goes its a fair deal.

using the same settings without FG at 1440 I ran benchmark and got 46fps average which is 8-10fps higher than his stock 4070

Screenshot-83.png

actually if its around an overclocked 4070 I got ripped...saw this of course after a purchase.

Legion Tower 5i Gen 8 (Intel) with RTX 4070 | Lenovo CA

2100cad. building my own would be the way to go but im honestly thinking of just returning this and using my 3060 laptop as it plays all games just fine albeit dailed down settings at 4k.

@Clamibot honestly its not worth upgrading to the bleeding edge. if games were good and being released that needed a 4080 it would be ok but thats it we are left with crappy console ports. I would skip 4090 generation, but if you do decide to jump on it consider a miniled laptop with a 4080, only brave shunt modders benefit from the 4090s power. I think @seanwee broke 26k gpu in timespy.

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Take away from this video is the massive increases in performance AMD has brought to the table in two generations from the 3600 to the 7600 (along with the argument that 6 cores is the sweet spot for gaming):

• Thumb Up 4

2 hours ago, ryan said:

honestly I think this laptop is designed for newbs to just run great out of the box but not designed nor allowing tweaking to improve or modify.

That is essentially all laptops, in a nutshell, now. Some are worse than others, but none--no not one--are actually any good. The last product that was remotely respectable was the Clevo X170. And, it required firmware mods to function correctly without having its performance nerfed. In fact, all of the true DTRs that had desktop CPUs and powerful MXM cards required firmware mods to deliver full performance for quite a long time. The manufacturers of laptops have been castrating their products for a very long time. For as long as I can remember, in fact. But now they just go ahead and take the sausage along with the eggs. They are all testosterone-free now. All are estrogen-powered turdbooks. That must be why they all suffer from hot flashes.

6 hours ago, Clamibot said:

I've had my X170SM-G for the last 2 and a half years (bought it after the KM-G model came out), and I sometimes see fully decked out X170KM-Gs going for around $1,000 on ebay. That's about 40% of what I put into my system when I first got it, holy moly!

It's because silly kiddos shopping for laptops only want the cute turdbooks that are thin and light and can play games on battery power. That is also why nobody manufactures good laptops anymore. The sheeple have spoken and the shepherds have found other things to do because no self-respecting shepherd wants to lead a flock of mentally handicapped dung-munching Ovis aries. They call overheating while pulling low wattage and thermal throttling being "efficient" now instead of defective.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 3