NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread

electrosoft

@BSoulMan I am currently running Crucial 3200MT/s 32GB in my system right now, which i placed the Corsair 3200 MT/s into the server where i nicked the Crucial sticks from, so i know the Corsair RAM is good and its a compatibility issue with the KM-G, but yes i think its a good idea to get all known 3200MT/s ram stick that work into a list on here.

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

Is there an option in the hidden menus for power on after power loss or power on when AC detected? 

Mine X170KM-G still have uncontrolled shutdowns and i can't start it from remote. But i can switch the WiFi socket off/on from remote (power supplies are connextes to the WiFi socket).

Or is there a solution for the uncontrolled shutdowns in the hidden menus? 

Clevo X170KM-G // BIOS Clevo 1.07.08 // EC 1.07.04
Intel Core i9-11900K with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme
64GB (2x32GB) Patriot 3200Mhz DDR4
Nvidia RTX 3080 Laptop 16GB with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme
17.3" UHD 4k 60Hz display (calibrated full AdobeRGB)
System Win11: 2TB Samsung Pro 980 NVMe SSD
System Win10: 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVMe SSD
Data: 2TB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe SSD
VMware: 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe SSD

Even mine, very rarely, when I'm playing it can happen that it suddenly shuts down (no overclocking and "entertainment" energy profile).

When I then try to turn it on again, the power LED turns green for a few seconds, and then turns orange again, and the computer shows no signs of life, the fans do not start.
To make it turn on again, it is necessary to unplug it for a few seconds, and only then does it turn on again normally 😑

I decided to give up the XMP profile for the 3200 Mhz CL16 RAM, as using it was necessary to activate "overclocking" in the BIOS, and when this happens the "Control Center" shows the "CPU Overclocking" tile and occasionally causes a BSOD (also if I don't change any frequency, then no real overclocking).
If I do not activate Overclocking in the BIOS, the Control Center does not show the "CPU Overclocking" tile and no BSOD occurs 😑

On 1/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, ymsv said:

Thank you . I read already most of the threads about the issue . Unfortunately until now , no any information about that from Samsung . If there is no information about the possible solution from them in the next 7 - 10 days , probably I will return the drive . 

Small update . 

So , a few days ago Samsung acknowledged somehow , that there is a problem with those drives . 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/Samsung-990-PRO-Health-Status-SMART-issues-reported/m-p/2494219

Meanwhile my drive goes to 92% heath , so I transfer the system to another one and in the next days it will be on its way to Amazon . 

On 12/13/2022 at 10:36 AM, Sergey Muratov said:

Hello everyone. After installing Control Center 3.75 on windows, the abrupt shutdowns of the laptop stopped. But on linux with tuxedo control center, the laptop also turns off. You need to take out the battery to turn it on. This problem is somehow related to the fans. When the fan control module is not installed in the system, the laptop works well. But when the fan control module is installed, the laptop is unstable. Has anyone figured out why this is happening and how to solve this problem?
Sorry for the bad English

Interesting post. I still have uncontrolled shutdowns (Win10 and Win11). After i read your post, i've uninstalled the clevo fan control. Since this uninstall, there was no uncontrolled shutdown any more.

I hope this fix the problem. Without fan control, its also more quiet.

Interesting. Improper usage of the EC causing it to power the system down? Could be why Windows doesn't know the cause.

2 hours ago, crossshot said:

Interesting post. I still have uncontrolled shutdowns (Win10 and Win11). After i read your post, i've uninstalled the clevo fan control. Since this uninstall, there was no uncontrolled shutdown any more.

I hope this fix the problem. Without fan control, its also more quiet.

Do you have OC enabled in the bios?

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

25 minutes ago, Sniffy said:

Interesting. Improper usage of the EC causing it to power the system down? Could be why Windows doesn't know the cause.

Do you have OC enabled in the bios?

OC is disabled. It tried all. Different BIOS versions, newest EC, different RAM, different CPU, different SSD.

Windows shows only an uncontrolled shutdown. No BSOD.

I also logged all the time with HWINFO. Nothing - no values looked bad. 

clevo_shutdown.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sergey Muratov said:

Sudden outages are not related to OC. They occur due to incorrect values in the EC firmware.

When will your new firmware available? Do you have more informations about it? I hate this machine every day more and more.

I continue to understand the problem and analyze the EC firmware (assembler). I think that sudden shutdowns occur due to false triggering of the over-voltage sensor with a constant change in the fan speed.

I'm dealing with the firmware and I can't say when it will be ready. A lot of tests and checks are needed. Let me remind you that I work without having sources. And you have to disassemble the firmware and analyze almost machine code.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sergey Muratov said:

I continue to understand the problem and analyze the EC firmware (assembler). I think that sudden shutdowns occur due to false triggering of the over-voltage sensor with a constant change in the fan speed.

I'm dealing with the firmware and I can't say when it will be ready. A lot of tests and checks are needed. Let me remind you that I work without having sources. And you have to disassemble the firmware and analyze almost machine code.

Thanks for your work! If you release it, i will pay for it or donate for it🙂

2 minutes ago, Sergey Muratov said:

While I am working on the EC firmware, my team continues to refine the bios and tries to optimize the operation of RAM. On the x170, there are clearly some problems with RAM operation and ram overclocking

This is why Prema cancelled the project with XMG.

19 hours ago, crossshot said:

OC is disabled. It tried all. Different BIOS versions, newest EC, different RAM, different CPU, different SSD.

clevo_shutdown.jpg

Wow that is frequent. Any crashing since removal of the fan control app?

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

10 minutes ago, Sniffy said:

Wow that is frequent. Any crashing since removal of the fan control app?

No crash without fan control app 🙂

5 minutes ago, crossshot said:

No crash without fan control app 🙂

That's great news. May I ask, did you use any custom settings (e.g., custom curve) or was this also with the defaults in the fan app?

20 hours ago, crossshot said:

In my case it's slightly different, crashes (BSOD) only happen if I activate "Overclocking" in the BIOS, and therefore the "Overclocking CPU" tile appears in the "Control Center".
If I don't have the "Overlocking CPU" tile in the "Control Center", everything works fine.
Of course, no overclocking, just enable the feature in the BIOS and the "Control Center" causes a BSOD.

This happens to me with the 3-4 BIOS versions tested so far with the various updates, with various versions of EC, and with various versions of the "Control Center" 😑

2 hours ago, Sniffy said:

That's great news. May I ask, did you use any custom settings (e.g., custom curve) or was this also with the defaults in the fan app?

All stock - no custom curve.

1 hour ago, tennic said:

In my case it's slightly different, crashes (BSOD) only happen if I activate "Overclocking" in the BIOS, and therefore the "Overclocking CPU" tile appears in the "Control Center".
If I don't have the "Overlocking CPU" tile in the "Control Center", everything works fine.
Of course, no overclocking, just enable the feature in the BIOS and the "Control Center" causes a BSOD.

This happens to me with the 3-4 BIOS versions tested so far with the various updates, with various versions of EC, and with various versions of the "Control Center" 😑

That "OC on" BSOD is a known issue. I had it, too.

56 minutes ago, ymsv said:

If I remember correctly , it is depending also of which CPU ( Intel 10 or 11 ) is used and how many memory slots are populated ( two or four ) . 

10th Core CPUs looks way more stable.

• Thumb Up 1

1 minute ago, tennic said:

Is there any solution? 😓

I have the 11th (11900k)

No solution. XMG has considered removing the feature from the BIOS entirely. You can only wait and hope for the custom BIOS.

8 minutes ago, crossshot said:

Nessuna soluzione. XMG ha considerato di rimuovere completamente la funzionalità dal BIOS. Puoi solo aspettare e sperare per il BIOS personalizzato.

I have the original Insyde BIOS (I didn't buy the XMG notebook), but when I temporarily tried an XMG BIOS months ago, the problem was there too.
Is the only solution then to uninstall the Control Center?
Maybe I could then install the separate packages (LED and OSD control), I saw them on the Microsoft Store, but I haven't tried if that fixes the problem.

45 minutes ago, tennic said:

I have the original Insyde BIOS (I didn't buy the XMG notebook), but when I temporarily tried an XMG BIOS months ago, the problem was there too.
Is the only solution then to uninstall the Control Center?
Maybe I could then install the separate packages (LED and OSD control), I saw them on the Microsoft Store, but I haven't tried if that fixes the problem.

I don't know. I only know, XMG is working on a new CCC.

Clevo X170KM-G and XMG are exactly the same hardware. And XMG tried the best to fix all problems...

11 hours ago, crossshot said:

I don't know. I only know, XMG is working on a new CCC.

Clevo X170KM-G and XMG are exactly the same hardware. And XMG tried the best to fix all problems...

In fact, just because they have the same hardware I tried the XMG BIOS but without solving the problem, so I went back to the official Insyde BIOS😔

Hopefully they can fix it 😉