NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread

electrosoft

6 hours ago, Dezmoond0 said:

what bios and ec do you have installed?

I haven't a clue. i haven't touched any of that since getting the laptop a year ago. i can chech and get back to you on that. However, a thought struck me. what would happen if the monitors cable were loose and if the bios (I resume, i have no idea in reality.) had a set voltage too much and the laptop shuts off, like a surge protector. My question, or thought, is how much voltage does the monitor take to power, and if that is absent and the voltage settings are set in the bios, would the computer turn off because the computer was getting too much power that wasn't being used due to the monitors faulty cable? 

I apologize if I am rambling. 

Right doing a benchmark run after doing a repaste and acetone clean on CPU, GPU and Heatsink.

Best so far is 25929 in Firestrike All core 47x with +10mv offset on CPU with +105/+220 on GPU

My Goal is 26000 any tips?

Update: I have updated the signature with my new scores.

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

Got Sound Blaster working thanks to great advice earlier in this thread. What's the best way to stop Windows from ruining this again in the future?

Also, no crashes at all so far 6 days in. 

• Thumb Up 3

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

On 2/9/2023 at 10:34 PM, zarhnik123 said:

Hey all, im hoping i can get some help here.  I have a 170km-g, and i have run into a rather strange issue. i am having some power problems. still trying to lockdown some specifics, but here's what I got so far.

First, the laptop WILL NOT turn on if it is plugged in with both chargers. (keyboard lights up for three seconds and then everything shuts off.)

It will turn on, but only when unplugged, and it still charges from from the ac adapters. so they work.

I did manage at one point to get laptop to turn on when using just ac power. removed the battery. However, haven't been able to repeat that feat since. it now defaults to the first problem.

strangely enough, if I am playing a gpu heavy game, and the battery (still trying to lockdown the actual percentage) is at or below 68% i can plug in both ac adapters and it will not turn off but begin operating as normal. (normal fps boost when plugged in included.)

the other issue i have had in the past, maybe it is related, is that the screen would turn black when adjusting the angle. That is not new and has come and gone. some times weeks past before that issue crops up again, but the battery issue is new.

Anyway, I am wondering if something has affected my bios. i haven't tampered with it at all, but i the only reason i can thing the laptop would shut off and yet stay off in such specific circumstances is if it is getting too much power when not actively playing a game. 

However, this issue is beyond my scope. never encountered a problem like it before, and I am hopeful/curious to hear all of your thoughts. 

Interesting, i have similar problem. My laptop functions normally on battery, but if plugged it wont charge or turn on, same as yours. If I remove battery and only plug it on charger, laptop works with out any issues. Battery is not the problem, because I bought a new one, and laptop still has same issue. It works with with out a problem on charger with out batter, and has no issues working with only battery, but it cant work when put on charger and battery inside.

I use latest XMP bios and EC. Tried other BIOS and oder EC, but problems remains.

@Luciferwhy does this sound like a short to me.

Spoiler

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

Well, yet another issue I am having. I manually changed the timings for the ram since i cannot get XMP to show up , however i cannot find an option to set the frequency of the modules. On the default profile i set the frequency to 3200Mhz, however the tCK is set at 2133 on the custom profile. I cannot for the life of me find out what else I need to change to get the timings and speed to my custom settings.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:09 PM, Lucifer said:

Thats what I suspect, but discovering what is causing it is the problem 😄

If i was a betting man which i am not, i would be placing my bet near the battery area of the power circuit.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Sydneyblue said:

Hello all im looking to guy this machine again used on Ebay. I need a good laptop and a 3080 16 is pretty much on par with what i have. Im going to be on the go. How is everyones machine running these days ? 

Mine has been running great aside from the issue setting XMP, I just had to set stuff manually.

Never had any crashes, no bsod or any other issues I saw some people talking about. 

My specs are 3080 16gb, 64gb ram, 10850k.

13 hours ago, Sydneyblue said:

Hello all im looking to guy this machine again used on Ebay. I need a good laptop and a 3080 16 is pretty much on par with what i have. Im going to be on the go. How is everyones machine running these days ? 

Seems great on latest BIOS and EC, not a single uncontrolled shutdown. OS is enabled in my BIOS, but I haven't touched clocks or voltages yet as I wanted to make sure it was stable at stock.

If you do get it, I'd recommend maybe taking a week or two to confirm the machine behaves at stock as well. Troubleshooting stability is problematic if your stuff is overclocked or undervolted as I've noticed that idle is often the first thing that becomes unstable, and sometimes there are games that expose instability even with minor undervolting (so it's not actually a stable undervolt).

If it crashes at stock, then you know it's something with the machine.

Also maybe run 2 sticks given the problems it has had in the past with 4. Intel only officially supports 2133MHz when using 4 SODIMMs with Rocket Lake, as per the datasheet (page 19).

Another forum member believes the crashing is related to bad EC values. But an unstable system could still be the root cause (writing corrupt data to the EC).

• Thumb Up 1

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

Howdy everyone. I got around to upgrading my screen to the NE173QHM-NY2 and the install went flawless up until I tried to turn it on. The screen just stays back with no signs of life, and when I plug another monitor into my laptop it doesn't say there's another monitor connected.

I'm assuming I got a DOA screen? 

@DJTurnTableIt sounds like it, i take it you have checked the connection to the screen right ??

Spoiler

• Thumb Up 2

Clevo X170KM-G // BIOS Clevo 1.07.08 // EC 1.07.04
Intel Core i9-11900K with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme
64GB (2x32GB) Patriot 3200Mhz DDR4
Nvidia RTX 3080 Laptop 16GB with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme
17.3" UHD 4k 60Hz display (calibrated full AdobeRGB)
System Win11: 2TB Samsung Pro 980 NVMe SSD
System Win10: 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVMe SSD
Data: 2TB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe SSD
VMware: 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe SSD

I'll ask XMG. It feels like the fan control is better and it install a new ACPI bridge driver.

23 minutes ago, crossshot said:

I'll ask XMG. It feels like the fan control is better and it install a new ACPI bridge driver.

Do you mean they adjusted the automatic fan curve?

3 minutes ago, Sniffy said:

Do you mean they adjusted the automatic fan curve?

I would say, yes.

10 minutes ago, crossshot said:

I would say, yes.

How would you describe it?

I noticed the auto curve is set too low at idle so I had to set an offset to stop the temperature creeping up. But once it hits a certain temperature (mid 60s?) it's quite loud. My go to at the moment is auto+5% offset at idle (to maintain decent idle temps while web browsing etc), then I switch to manual curve when booting a game.

1 minute ago, Sniffy said:

How would you describe it?

I noticed the auto curve is set too low at idle so I had to set an offset to stop the temperature creeping up. But once it hits a certain temperature (mid 60s?) it's quite loud. My go to at the moment is auto+5% offset at idle (to maintain decent idle temps while web browsing etc), then I switch to manual curve when booting a game.

It start later. The delay to start the fans is bigger in my opinion. So the temperatures from time to time are a little bit higher, but the fans don't start.

• Thumb Up 1

2 minutes ago, crossshot said:

It start later. The delay to start the fans is bigger in my opinion. So the temperatures from time to time are a little bit higher, but the fans don't start.

Thanks that's interesting. I will probably pass as I don't think it needs to be warmer at idle, and things are working well on 3.55

I hope for more stability. Mine shut off from time to time without any reason. Maybe the new ACPI bridge driver will help.

Will also test later to see if this stops the crashing issue I have

Spoiler