NotebookTalk

Laptop Benchmark Thread: Post here

ryan

I score about 9500-9600 in timespy but I have ddr4 at 3200 im sure if I had it overclocked(not possible) or ddr5 id be around 10k-11k

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Screenshot-1.png

highest score to date. not sure why all I did was a lower overclock and disabled throttle stop. guess this cooler works

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

17 hours ago, ryan said:

I score about 9500-9600 in timespy but I have ddr4 at 3200 im sure if I had it overclocked(not possible) or ddr5 id be around 10k-11k

CPU scores seem to scale to a degree but then it is not like this would make much of a change in most real world applications which is also reflected correctly in Cinebench.

GPU does NOT increase with memory speed in my experience which is about correct in my book.

15 hours ago, ryan said:

Screenshot-1.png

highest score to date. not sure why all I did was a lower overclock and disabled throttle stop. guess this cooler works

I found CPU scores to jump around a lot, for me usually between 11200 and 11800 for in this GT75.

It is really a flat line at 5 GHz and a few small bumps to 5.1 and sometimes this results in 11400 and sometimes in 11800 - makes no sense.

As for the GPU score the limit seems to be somewhere around 10K and you may get a bit higher with cooler temps - how cool is your GPU?

At stock the GPU in the GT75 does not even get to 50 degrees which is laughable and at max performance it is still only at around 60 tops.

• Thumb Up 1

I have my gpu undervolted/overclocked 154 at .9v it sees max temps of 67c with core at 1932mhz locked. I get 9150 in time spy gpu and cpu is a rotten apple scoring 11k but temps are above 90c even with worlds best cooler the gt500

I don't game with these settings. If I'm gaming I turn af to 16x or 4x and filtering to high quality. My gaming settings net me a timespy score of 8866gpu 11176 cpu. While gaming the temps stabilize just below 69c

heres the settings changed and overclock/undervolt applied. not bad for a 115w 3060 11th gen laptop

Screenshot-6.png

also yes I am pretty sure ram speed can bottleneck gpu. all the top scores for the 3060 are with 4500mhz ram for any laptops with 3200mhz im number one.

Yes. In a nutshell RAM speed can certainly bottleneck a GPU. But…if you focused on RAM speed alone, you might not fully understand the whole picture. Using RAM in Dual-Channel & Quad-Channel configurations can significantly increase your frame rates.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

13 hours ago, ryan said:

also yes I am pretty sure ram speed can bottleneck gpu. all the top scores for the 3060 are with 4500mhz ram for any laptops with 3200mhz im number one.

I upped my memory speed from 2666 to 3000 and the GPU score stayed more or less the same. The CPU score increased though - for some reasons this seems to be how Time Spy works. So yes, your Time Spy score would probably go up but chances are the increase would be largely limited to your CPU score.

I always like to look at 10th place in the Time Spy leaderboard rankings as this most of the time weeds out outliers who do extreme stuff.

Here are the scores for the 11800H / 3060 combo:

GPU: 9943

CPU: 12821

long link of the day:

https://www.3dmark.com/search#advanced?test=spy P&cpuId=2863&gpuId=1368&gpuCount=0&gpuType=ALL&deviceType=ALL&storageModel=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=physicsScore&hofMode=true&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=&minGpuCoreClock=&maxGpuCoreClock=&minGpuMemClock=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

As you can  see you have way more distance to the number 10 CPU score than the number 10 GPU score.

Oh well, it is all fun and games anyway and I am sure other things come into play. For starters and from my experience HP usually is a bit more conservative and quicker to reduce / limit power to the CPU which is why I would compare performance with others who have the same model. 

• Thumb Up 1

oh ok that sucks, Im not sure how people with 3060s are getting into the 10ks though. I upped my wattage from 115w to 140w and noticed a nice bump but I cant seem to break 10k I was always under the impression it was ram speed.

my cpu score is limited by temps, im in the 90s at 4.2ghz. not to long ago I was able to do a run at 4.6ghz but the score was still around 11k.

as for gpu, your right

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

17 hours ago, ryan said:

oh ok that sucks, Im not sure how people with 3060s are getting into the 10ks though. I upped my wattage from 115w to 140w and noticed a nice bump but I cant seem to break 10k I was always under the impression it was ram speed.

my cpu score is limited by temps, im in the 90s at 4.2ghz. not to long ago I was able to do a run at 4.6ghz but the score was still around 11k.

as for gpu, your right

You may be able to increase your GPU score with lower temps. Geforce cards get throttled at rather low temps. Before I repasted that GT75 it would not go much about 10000 with the same settings as GPU temps were getting as high as 80 in Time Spy. After the repaste they settled at about 60 tops and that gave a significant boost.

Of course if you already are at 60 degrees there is probably not much left to do!

• Sad 1

Yeah I think this laptops done. Artifacts while undervolted. Just started getting them with a long session of forza..I pray it's just drivers or the game software at play..very frustrating. Just upgraded ram and ssd.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 10/24/2023 at 3:19 AM, ryan said:

Yeah I think this laptops done. Artifacts while undervolted. Just started getting them with a long session of forza..I pray it's just drivers or the game software at play..very frustrating. Just upgraded ram and ssd.

If it isn't too hot then it may be the undervolt being too aggressive.

Have you ever repadded / repasted so far?

That might give you some added stability and better temps.

Combining PTM7950 with some thermal putty should be easy enough and help with performance.

Thermal putty is a messy solution and changing thermal pads would be cleaner but it is also more difficult and you have to know the thickness of the pads:

I am considering to use some putty soon as I have one laptop where the pads are already crumbling which cannot be good  plus it will be a nice test case.

• Like 1

I just undervolt gpu and then lock in framerate with vsync. Temps between 49c and 61c after 8 hours straight. Temps can only do so much. My laptop is power throttling after further investigation which is the Pitts. The artifacts are gone with different clocks and drivers but boy did that depress me. I love this laptop it's all I have.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

9 hours ago, ryan said:

I just undervolt gpu and then lock in framerate with vsync. Temps between 49c and 61c after 8 hours straight. Temps can only do so much. My laptop is power throttling after further investigation which is the Pitts. The artifacts are gone with different clocks and drivers but boy did that depress me. I love this laptop it's all I have.

Those temps are certainly low enough 🙂

Seeing that you are not very far off the top performance for a GPU in your combo I would not sweat it as those last 5% will not really do much for a better gaming experience.

As for the CPU I have found HP to be very fond of throttling their CPUs no matter the temps and then they also need attention with regard to fan control so there is only so much you can do.

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Those temps are certainly low enough 🙂

Seeing that you are not very far off the top performance for a GPU in your combo I would not sweat it as those last 5% will not really do much for a better gaming experience.

As for the CPU I have found HP to be very fond of throttling their CPUs no matter the temps and then they also need attention with regard to fan control so there is only so much you can do.

I have not heard of hp throttling their cpus but it may be the case.

In a notebookcheck review the review claimed the temps normalized around 84c and the core clock was around 3.4ghz. I think im doing pretty good with this cooler getting 70c at 4.2-4.6 ghz. I have been able to lock clocks in at 4.6ghz a few times. but right now im not sure why but it won't let me. Im not really a power user anymore as my memory is degrading(schizoeffective disorder). I am super happy that I can now game for hours on end without crashing. before the cooler my games would crash due to overheating and now iv'e been able to comfortably game for hours with low temps. Even if you have temps in the 70s with say a sager laptop I highly recommend the iets gt500 its only 100 and the best money you can spend on a gaming laptop.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

IETS 500 its nothing to comapre with newest version IETS GT626. Ok its better than nothing but im loved newest version from 1st use its better beacouse temperature ale less ( got both ) u can see IDLE 10700k delided in games amazing, but im also using PTM7950-sp paste form on GPU and CPU

cooling pad.jpg

• Thumb Up 1

I heard the iets gt626 just has a bigger fan and runs at a lower speed so less noise, same performance less noise, care to share a comparison

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Yes, it's true, the device is 100% built from scratch compared to the previous version. however, the efficiency is on a completely different level, there is nothing to impress, it is not quiet, but even at the lowest speed it can cool down like a gt500 at 75% power, it is impressive. For me, this is the biggest surprise in electronics for several years now. If you combine Honeywell with IETS GT626 the results will be spectacular!

Under only cooling pad results - with no honeywell magic

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:16 PM, ryan said:

I have not heard of hp throttling their cpus but it may be the case.

In a notebookcheck review the review claimed the temps normalized around 84c and the core clock was around 3.4ghz. I think im doing pretty good with this cooler getting 70c at 4.2-4.6 ghz. I have been able to lock clocks in at 4.6ghz a few times. but right now im not sure why but it won't let me. Im not really a power user anymore as my memory is degrading(schizoeffective disorder). I am super happy that I can now game for hours on end without crashing. before the cooler my games would crash due to overheating and now iv'e been able to comfortably game for hours with low temps. Even if you have temps in the 70s with say a sager laptop I highly recommend the iets gt500 its only 100 and the best money you can spend on a gaming laptop.

Don't sweat it, you are doing pretty well with that laptop and a little bit less CPU performance will make little difference in games.

I only would be interested in such a pad if it works really well at lower noise levels and it looks like this is not their intended use.

• Bump 1

haha, yeah I hear it running now its competing with my wall air conditioner unit for the loudest sound in apt. very loud but works, i dont think ill upgrade it to see 65c vs 69c. 5c just isn't going to help in benchmarking or gaming. also im officially done with gaming desktops/laptops as geforce now is the future and its good enough for my needs.

@ciswhat's your temps vs gt500

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

@1610ftwif my temps are good and ive tweaked OS, I get 9480 gpu in timespy, I was under the impression im bottlenecked by ram and power, what other causes could their be that prevent me from breaking the elusive 10k. I know a fair amount about laptops but anyone can miss a thing or two

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

10 hours ago, ryan said:

@1610ftwif my temps are good and ive tweaked OS, I get 9480 gpu in timespy, I was under the impression im bottlenecked by ram and power, what other causes could their be that prevent me from breaking the elusive 10k. I know a fair amount about laptops but anyone can miss a thing or two

Honestly not too many more ideas. At some point you will not be limited by power or memory any more and the chips will not all be the same, could be a bios setting by HP.

If you want to know if there is any hidden potential with regard to power downclock your CPU, something like 3GHz all cores - that may give you a boost. How big is your power supply?

• Thanks 1

230w, i could try downclocking cpu like you mentioned, papusan also suggested that a while back. my cpu wont lock though hp has wonky bioses, i cant even overclock my ram. i think at this point its futile. in alot of games im around 55fps so the overclock might actually have a use with vsync set to 60fps.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

My temps have been abnormally low 47c on gpu and cpu with a undervolt on both. thats after 5 hours of steady gaming mind you I had framerate locked to 30. I find in most games locking framerate to 30 the expereince is still great/smooth its just when you bounce from 30-60fps that it feels sluggish. at any rate I think im going to just leave my laptop on stock clocks and settings and or undervolt and call it a day. im getting a bigger performance boost from the newest drivers over my overclocks. I think at the end of the day overclocking on these 2k-4k gpus and 11th-14th gen cpus really has no tangible benifit but it is fun chasing top scores.

just beat 9500 gpu in timespy im doing good.

temps are not touching 65c

Screenshot-15.png

@1610ftw do you know of any ways to overclock ram on a omen 16?

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 11/5/2023 at 1:38 AM, ryan said:

@1610ftw do you know of any ways to overclock ram on a omen 16?

Sorry, no idea except that there should be a hidden bios option for it. 

You may want to check if you can find some timings for your specific memory modules as a starter but often that is easier said than done.

• Thanks 1

I called hp, looks like its locked out/only way is to take it to a service center.

Also when benchmarking do you have your nvidia control panel settings set to performance selections or quality, I find it can make a big difference changing to performance but in game looks terrible. I think having quality settings and getting a good score mixed with low temps is more practical/

cpu max temps 65c

gpu max temps 64c

gaming settings and overclock, I can use this for gaming and everything is set to quality/

Screenshot-17.png

11800h at 4.2ghz stock'

Screenshot-18.png

gpu overclocked to 150/280

cpu overclocked 200 mhz 4.4ghz

temps are alot higher, gpu is safe cpu tops out at 97c but during gaming would be in the upper 70s so this is the max speed I can run my system, also AF is set to 16x and texture filtering set to high quality. it will look and play good.

Screenshot-19.png

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

That is a nice increase in CPU performance that may be noticeable in CPU dominant games.

I am not that interested in GPU performance as I am not a gamer. What I found were some slight increases with performance vs quality in the control center but it was not that big of a difference in the end. It looks like the GPU part of the benchmark is pretty robust and cannot be driven up as easily as the CPU part that responds so favorably to faster memory although faster memory does very little for more fps in gaming.

Overclocking the memory by going to the service center? WTF!