NotebookTalk

What phone are you daily driving currently?

Katja

Bullett, Pixel 8a should do will for you, or if you want to spend even less a Moto G stylus would be a good choice as well.  Both those phones are easily read in sunlight.  Hell, my cheap ole moto 5g is brighter than my iPhone 13 was. 

• Like 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

• 2 weeks later...

@kojack good dude. I was looking at a moto g. But dont you think a refurbished flagship for prior years is the way to go. Like i mean a s21 ultra can go for 350cad. Ive even seen s22s for 440. 100x zoom great cameras sd 888 or 8 gen 1..great amoled displays. I guess your right when it comes to battery life and overall feel and package

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Hi! Im using a Samsung S10 , and i will start a new topic how to play PC games on  S8 or newer Samsung phones. Yes using keyboard mouse and wired ethernet.

• Thumb Up 2

Clevo P751TM1-G 8700K/16GB/GTX 1080@120W/1.5TB/FHD 144 G-Sync/ Asus PG279Q

• 1 month later...

This is the first time (since my 1020), that after 8 months of use, I still love my phone as much as the day I bought it. I have a new flip 6 for work, but I am not feeling it as much as my P8P.  The new design of the 9s are awesome but I am hanging on to my 8 pro for 3 or 4 years before getting a new one. 

• Thumb Up 1

Still Samsung A52s and Note10 Lite (need many sims). Both behaving excellent in every way. Like new really, after 3 & 4 years.

Will keep them until something serious happens like black screen, motherboard failure etc or whatever not worth any repair, gives a good excuse to get something newer :O) The only wanted\needed improvement is the camera dept., the latest offerings in zoom, macro, low light.

Contenders (with correct roms for my region): Honor Magic 5\6 pro, Xiaomi 13 pro, 14 ultra. Pixel as a maybe (like 8pro ...at a major discount), it definitely got the cameras, yes, but lagging behind in too many other ways (imo) (except AI which is not my main concern in phones). Samsung ftm not high on the list, although generally great, solid, well built etc, love oneui, but the direction and philosophy of their image software and image treatment makes me look elsewhere.

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 1809 \ O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc 1809 \ O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

12 hours ago, 6730b said:

Still Samsung A52s and Note10 Lite (need many sims). Both behaving excellent in every way. Like new really, after 3 & 4 years.

Will keep them until something serious happens like black screen, motherboard failure etc or whatever not worth any repair, gives a good excuse to get something newer :O) The only wanted\needed improvement is the camera dept., the latest offerings in zoom, macro, low light.

Contenders (with correct roms for my region): Honor Magic 5\6 pro, Xiaomi 13 pro, 14 ultra. Pixel as a maybe (like 8pro ...at a major discount), it definitely got the cameras, yes, but lagging behind in too many other ways (imo) (except AI which is not my main concern in phones). Samsung ftm not high on the list, although generally great, solid, well built etc, love oneui, but the direction and philosophy of their image software and image treatment makes me look elsewhere.

I guess you are meaning for processor speed?  synthetic benchmarks are a joke.  I have a galaxy flip 6 as well and there is no difference in speed between it, and my pixel 8 pro.  There is however, a huge difference in camera quality, how AI works (on the pixel it works awesome with call screen, automatic transcrpitons etc), and the overall OS is less convoluted with more crap baked in with one UI. 

• Thumb Up 2

On 8/26/2024 at 11:05 AM, kojack said:

I guess you are meaning for processor speed?  synthetic benchmarks are a joke. 

Agree, am no speed freak at all, not gaming, few apps etc. My old Samsungs (well adb cleaned) still doing great in fluidity and speed, even 60hz screens looks excellent to me. Daily reliability way more important than any benchmarks.

The pixel things that makes me put some brakes on are battery time, charging time, radio\modem sensitivity, factory quality control, botched updates (releasing very fast if great, but history tells they sometimes should do some more tests 1st :O)

I'm looking for something very good and reliable in those areas (in addition to great cameras, as want to move away from Samsung in that dept.). p9 pro xl is on my list, looks like improvemnets in battery and modem (+ great display).

I am sure most got no pixel problems, but some gets doses of major headaches (ref. reddit and many other sources of news\reports). Happens to all brands, but got the impression that pixels are specially affected.

Anyway, zero hurry for anything, someday will come across a 'like new' SH or great deal on Amazon etc for one of those models I wish to try out.

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 1809 \ O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc 1809 \ O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

10 hours ago, 6730b said:

Agree, am no speed freak at all, not gaming, few apps etc. My old Samsungs (well adb cleaned) still doing great in fluidity and speed, even 60hz screens looks excellent to me. Daily reliability way more important than any benchmarks.

The pixel things that makes me put some brakes on are battery time, charging time, radio\modem sensitivity, factory quality control, botched updates (releasing very fast if great, but history tells they sometimes should do some more tests 1st :O)

I'm looking for something very good and reliable in those areas (in addition to great cameras, as want to move away from Samsung in that dept.). p9 pro xl is on my list, looks like improvemnets in battery and modem (+ great display).

I am sure most got no pixel problems, but some gets doses of major headaches (ref. reddit and many other sources of news\reports). Happens to all brands, but got the impression that pixels are specially affected.

Anyway, zero hurry for anything, someday will come across a 'like new' SH or great deal on Amazon etc for one of those models I wish to try out.

We have had both of ours since Nov of last year I think. I have yet to have any of the issues you mention. The internet is full of false information when it comes to pixels as apple fanbois love to fire out a lot of garbage cloaked in "unbiased" testing.  I am coming from real world use of two Pixel 8 Pros that are daily drivers. Battery life is on par if not better than our iPhone 13s, there are no "glitches", quality control issues, I have never had a "botched" update and Charging time is fine. I have enough battery to last me the entire day using my phone ALOT.  I throw it on the wireless charger in the evening and it's ready to go the next day. 

• Thumb Up 1

23 hours ago, 6730b said:

I am sure most got no pixel problems

As written. May well end up with one someday as am very interested in experiencing the cameras. Same applies to the top of line Honor & Xiaomi, sadly can't buy all 3 to test :O) so it'll be a matter of coming across a good deal on  any of them someday (or one of my current phones breaks and it changes into need-to-buy situation).

12 hours ago, kojack said:

I have yet to have any of the issues you mention.

And happy that you are satisfied with yours, like many pixel owners.

• Thumb Up 1

Stand with ua.jpg

On 7/19/2024 at 1:48 AM, ryan said:

@kojack good dude. I was looking at a moto g. But dont you think a refurbished flagship for prior years is the way to go. Like i mean a s21 ultra can go for 350cad. Ive even seen s22s for 440. 100x zoom great cameras sd 888 or 8 gen 1..great amoled displays. I guess your right when it comes to battery life and overall feel and package

I'm sure they are, if you want to buy used.  If you don't, then the cheaper android devices now are really really good.