NotebookTalk

What phone are you daily driving currently?

Katja

2 hours ago, ryan said:

every single s21 vs s22ultra video says its not worth the upgrade, I guess i'll listen and keep the 21 another year after all its still great at pictures,fast and has a very good screen

Agreed, if it wasn't basically a free upgrade to go from my S21 to a S22 Ultra, I wouldn't have done it. 

• Like 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

On 2/16/2022 at 7:55 PM, Mr. Fox said:

That is a great phone. My wife and I got pair of the V30 ThinQ in a BOGO deal from T-Mobile when they were new releases and just recently replaced them. Mine still looks like new and it served me well for a long time.

I think the only downside is the P-OLED screen, makes it almost useless under the sun.

• Thumb Up 1

CLEVO PT870TM1-G || i7 8700K || 32 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia GTX 1080 x 2 || 1440p @120Hz
HP ZBOOK 17 G3 || Xeon E3-1535M v5 || 16 GB 2400MHz || Nvidia Quadro GTX M5000M || 1080p @60Hz
DELL PRECISION M6400 || C2Q QX9300 || Nvidia Quadro FX3700M || 1200p @60Hz || RETIRED

LG 27UK850-W || 2160p @60Hz || AMD Freesync
OC.net profile (luisxd)

Heatware profile (luisxd)

10 hours ago, luisxd said:

I think the only downside is the P-OLED screen, makes it almost useless under the sun.

Yes, if you are in direct sunlight it looks very dim, and you need max brightness to be barely usable. It does not really affect me, but I have noticed in the rare times I have needed to view my phone screen while standing in direct sunlight. For the most part it is not a relevant issue for my use pattern.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

ATT told me my phone is deprecated because its 3G. They give me their compatibility list and I point to my phone. Sorry sir cant help you, call us and we might be able to do something (was contacting them via online chat).

They shut off my phone and ask me to call them :\ 

LG v20 U990DS 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:19 AM, Reciever said:

ATT told me my phone is deprecated because its 3G. They give me their compatibility list and I point to my phone. Sorry sir cant help you, call us and we might be able to do something (was contacting them via online chat).

They shut off my phone and ask me to call them 😕

LG v20 U990DS 

Eek, I feel sorry for you if you're in the US and have to get phones from US carriers. The S7 Active I mentioned in my post above was only ever released in the US via AT&T and I've setup a few of them now from second hand as spares and for family members. The amount of pre-installed crap that can only be disabled with ADB is atrocious, particularly this nasty which installs dodgy gambling apps in the background without any user interaction:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comments/6u0wnf/what_is_mobile_services_manager_did_i_catch_a/

6 hours ago, Ishatix said:

Eek, I feel sorry for you if you're in the US and have to get phones from US carriers. The S7 Active I mentioned in my post above was only ever released in the US via AT&T and I've setup a few of them now from second hand as spares and for family members. The amount of pre-installed crap that can only be disabled with ADB is atrocious, particularly this nasty which installs dodgy gambling apps in the background without any user interaction:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comments/6u0wnf/what_is_mobile_services_manager_did_i_catch_a/

I didnt get it from a carrier, they are just making no effort to facilitate. I may just become more of a recluse and shut off the phone as I get more calls for the previous owner of this line (bill collectors) than anything for me personally. I mostly kept it because I didnt want to deal with my mother in the aftermath.

• Bump 1

That sounds like a right pain. I've never heard of someone getting a recycled mobile number with legacy strings attached before. I've taken to just leaving my phone in flight mode with the wifi switched on. Since anyone I actually want to speak to (i.e. friends and family) will always get me via messaging apps, I have no need for any mobile service from the network carrier except on very rare occasions. I find it also makes a big difference to battery life (the idea was prompted originally by noticing my phone reporting that 40% of battery life was being spent on "cell standby").

• Thumb Up 1

yeah when I'm doing something I put my phone in airplane mode and can usually get 20 hours sot with 50 percent brightness watching videos and playing music. cell standby kills battery life and so does wifi

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

6 hours ago, ryan said:

@Custom90gtdid you get your s22 ultra care to share opinion? curious how it compares to the old fart

No and i doubt I'll see it until april.

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

On 3/6/2022 at 7:07 AM, Ishatix said:

That sounds like a right pain. I've never heard of someone getting a recycled mobile number with legacy strings attached before. I've taken to just leaving my phone in flight mode with the wifi switched on. Since anyone I actually want to speak to (i.e. friends and family) will always get me via messaging apps, I have no need for any mobile service from the network carrier except on very rare occasions. I find it also makes a big difference to battery life (the idea was prompted originally by noticing my phone reporting that 40% of battery life was being spent on "cell standby").

I almost switched to T-Mobile in 2012.  Decided to get a minimal plan just to make sure they had coverage where I lived, and the number they gave me was one being targeted by a collections agency.  So, yeah, it happens.  Needless to say, I did not switch to that number.  Kept my existing number and switched to an AT&T MRVNO instead.

Although it can work the other way too.  One of my friends was the spammers' best friend, and switched numbers a month ago, and doesn't get spam anymore.

My guess is if a number gets recycled within a certain period of time, there's an elevated risk of that happening.

Network standby can eat up a lot of juice, especially if the cell signal is weak or nonexistant and it's searching for towers.  At home, it's whatever, I'll plug it in if need be.  But if I'm outdoors for a good part of the day.

The 3G shut-off does kind of stink.  My parents had to replace their phones for that reason.  Although theirs were getting pretty long in the tooth, so they likely would have early this year anyway.  Still, it probably created a lot of e-waste.

• Thumb Up 2

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

1 minute ago, Sandy Bridge said:

The 3G shut-off does kind of stink.  My parents had to replace their phones for that reason.  Although theirs were getting pretty long in the tooth, so they likely would have early this year anyway.  Still, it probably created a lot of e-waste.

For someone, like me, who likes collecting old smartphones, that might make them even cheaper to buy.

Precision M4800 - i7 4810MQ, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2200

Thinkpad T430 - i7 3630QM, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 1080p display mod

Main PC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti

today was a good day 😛

Looks like I woke up to the new s21 ultra UI.4.1

all I noticed was the pictures look better, like alot better and now I can use zoom in pro modes..thats all..but it's a pretty big jump in quality very happy with it and for that yes today is a good day.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 3/16/2022 at 11:28 PM, Sandy Bridge said:

Network standby can eat up a lot of juice, especially if the cell signal is weak or nonexistant and it's searching for towers.  At home, it's whatever, I'll plug it in if need be.  But if I'm outdoors for a good part of the day.

Ah nice that you get to be out more. I'm so glad the weather here is improving so I can start doing so too! Oddly enough, for me it's at home where I get the worst signal. Also, it's not only the immediate discharge time that I care about, but also the longer term battery health. So I still like to minimise usage even when at home.

• Thumb Up 1

5 hours ago, Ishatix said:

Ah nice that you get to be out more. I'm so glad the weather here is improving so I can start doing so too! Oddly enough, for me it's at home where I get the worst signal. Also, it's not only the immediate discharge time that I care about, but also the longer term battery health. So I still like to minimise usage even when at home.

It's partially that the weather is improving, we've had some nice spring days (and now winter is coming back for a visit).  But I also got better at figuring out how to enjoy being outside when it's cold.  Some wind-proof winter gloves and figuring out that somewhat hilly, forested terrain is a lot more suitable for winter than flat, wind-swept plains or city wind tunnels were the key factors.  So, while I'm still less motivated to go out if it's cloudy all day (very common here in the winter), and mud is still a problem, if it's cold enough to not have mud, and we get a rare sunny day, there's a decent chance I'll venture out.

My TV signal is quite poor at home for two of the three major networks, but my cell signal is okay.  Most of the times that I really am out of cell phone signal coverage aren't close to home, but when I venture over to the more remote parts of Pennsylvania or West Virginia.  I found some 3G only spots in PA last year, I guess they'll be out of luck by next year.

I agree on not using my phone a lot at home... anything Internet-related is generally better on a larger screen.  Whoever was the original owner of the phone must have been a moderate user too - it's a 5-6 year old iPhone SE, had 86% battery health when I got it at 3 years of age, and is at 81% now.  Whereas one of my relatives had a newer iPhone, and it was down to about 1/3 of its original battery life by the time he upgraded - but he also used it for 100% of his computing needs, so much more than me.

At this point I don't have any motivation to upgrade to the SE 3rd-gen.  Its flagship features are 5G and a faster processor, neither of which be noticeable for my use cases.  They did upgrade the GNSS module, which would be nice... but not $480 nice.  If they'd left out 5G but added Night Mode on the camera, it would have been more appealing.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

I just watched a video of battery charge times for newer phones from 2022. and some charge from 0-100 in less than 19min....which got me thinking, if the phone lasts 5 hours and charges in 18min who cares if it doesn't last as long as the iphone 13 pm. not like you can't put your phone down for 10 min. I have a s21 ultra and it has great battery life but I find myself charging once a day still....but now im thinking the s22 and samsung are no longer king and same goes for iphone....these chinese phones have really nailed it and im thinking of upgrading to a mi 12 ultra when it comes out as its cameras will most likely be better than the s22 and with a 8gen 1 chip with 20 min charging it would be a very nice experience anyone else jumping aboard these chinese phones

On 2/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Custom90gt said:

Agreed, if it wasn't basically a free downgrade to go from my S21 to a S22 Ultra, I wouldn't have done it. 

corrected that for you.....bl is worse everything else is pretty much the same except software... 😛

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

15 hours ago, ryan said:

corrected that for you.....bl is worse everything else is pretty much the same except software... 😛

After test driving it for a few days it's far superior in every way.  Bummer is the battery life is the same even though it's a bigger battery.  Cameras are spot on which is perfect. 

oh really?

thats good news. I know the 10x camera is a bit better, but I was under the impression its software doing all the changes..saw a youtube video and the s21 traded blows with the s22 in respect to cameras

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 3/29/2022 at 5:42 AM, ryan said:

I just watched a video of battery charge times for newer phones from 2022. and some charge from 0-100 in less than 19min....which got me thinking, if the phone lasts 5 hours and charges in 18min who cares if it doesn't last as long as the iphone 13 pm. not like you can't put your phone down for 10 min. ...

It depends on your own usage habits and needs. Personally I don't care about recharge time as I never find it to be much of a limitation in practice. Whereas longevity does matter for me if I'm using it to navigate etc. while out all day away from any power sources.

yeah I don't take my phone out into the woods as their is usually no wifi data and renders the phone basically useless or a camera....for most people they are close to a power source. but I'm kinda wondering where you usually take your phone where there is no power source? like even vehicles have outlets or you can get an adaptor and charge it in your vehicle..

actually every year i travel for 16 hours through the rockies and every hour or so theres a town with power....and when i worked on the rigs i went to some pretty remote locations only accessible with helicopters...i brought my laptop to work and never had issues charging it when back at the camp....i suppose power outlets would be an issue in 1890... i just dont see it..

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Used to run an LG V30S, 12GB. SD835 SoC, 400GB microSD. Bootloader Unlocked thanks to some based dev in LG they left that WTF method open because they shuffled a lot of C level execs due to poor financials and US Bootloader policy got thrown under the bus. Mine runs Stock Oreo official firmware with build.prop modified to enable EQ presets as LG Korea did not update it properly, and ofc Rooted with magisk. Unfortunately the display broke, USB port broke, speaker is busted will try to get it repaired if possible since it has been the best Android set experience never slowed down since day 1 for me and the 3.5mm jack ESS9218P is exceptional world class DAC AMP, the other remarkable ones which I used were Motorola Milestone, Samsung Galaxy S, and OnePlus 3, all rooted and Bootloader unlocked. Milestone is dead got replacement and sold it off long time back, rest work.

Currently running OnePlus 3, Resurrection Remix OS 7.1.2 Android based on SultanXDA custom Kernel, Magisk installed, Vanced as well before takedown. Couldn't find a good Android set anymore. Lack of HW options, there's only a single phone today that has Micro SD slot and a 3.5mm jack - Sony Xperia 1 Mark III. And from my research that phone lacks good battery due to poor optimization and 4K OLED plus that modem is not great, eating away all the battery, then the Android 10 and up killed Storage entirely by making the Filesystem like Apple iOS and External storage completely nuked, which causes Xperia 1 to have slow I/O from SD card slot as they did not fix it. Then the whole 5G mmWave nonsense and band support. It doesn't have great 5G due to lack of mmWave, that tech also drains battery heavily. LG V60 is having a hole which I cannot stand, and it's locked to American Carrier Mafia.

The Android OS is dead from Software and UI as it is becoming more childish and dumb OS thanks to Apple fanatics at Google. Scoped Storage nukes filesystem capabilities to a basic level and introduces slower performance. Blacklisting of powerful APIs, Limited set of Background Applications (12L got this but what about old phones ? well they are SOL and ruined), Now forcing notification prompts, making the UI ugliest pile of junk for AOSP. And forcing App bundles to make it hard for Sideload APK distribution and signing permission away from Developers. Then Magisk dropping SUHide, and Safety Net upgrades, soon banking Apps most of them will  block unlocked and rooted phones.

Due to all this wanted to move to iPhone SE 2022, but I couldn't stand Apple's iTunes BS and lack of expandable storage plus Apple is not-trustable anymore than Google, infact worse. Esp after their Hash check scanning function news and how they were behind the KAT website shutdown and latest FBI snoop on Sci-Hub main person.

Still might do it since I cannot stand the stupid Android OS anymore as it doesn't even run properly and pointless in spending $1400 for new Sony Xperia 1 if it's bound to be crippled hard and die in 3 years due to sealed battery while iPhones get easy servicing by the dumb Genius Apple staff at Apple stores because they do not do anything the Apple Robot does the servicing lol and the A15 SoC will run for at-least 6 years from now, they should have made the damn iPhone 8 Plus chassis and stuffed in a bigger battery and bigger display and a secondary Telephoto camera it would have been a solid phone. Now it's a pathetic attempt despite it's faster CPU, look how much Apple is making on that. It's selling for higher cost for such a poor display resolution from 2016 in 2022. Imagine, iPhone SE2022 has lower display resolution and size than the OP3 that I'm running which is already a very old device plus that is LCD while my Samsung Galaxy S from 2010 is OLED. Oh the battery is also disgustingly low capacity on the SE2022 as well. Will see how Sony is going to make their new Xperia 1 Mark IV if they fix the Modem, Battery, Throttling might as well give it a shot before throwing in towel. Forgot... the SD888 is a piece of JUNK. It's hot and pathetic. Since SD875 things are bad. Latest SD 8 Gen 1 based on now X1 ARM cores is also poor due to high heat again.

Back to Sony, they make DRM on Bootloader unlock, if we run the BL unlock the Camera, Display Processing technologies get their features axed, that is the only phone worth any money since it has no BS notch. no Hole, has proper Dual Stereo Speakers, SD card slot, Pro features in Camera like LG camera and looks fantastic as well. I cannot imagine what would happen to my data if my V30 did not have SD card slot. All my photos, videos, everything inaccessible. Samsung is not an option anymore as they axed Note with SD card slot and OS looks worse than Samsung Experience (Oreo era pre DJ Koh firing). And American models do not get BL unlock, Exynos won't work in US due to lack of Carrier band Aggregation and Samsung won't even touch the phone for repair.

Anyways I digress. That's the whole rant. There are simply no options anymore as a Pocket Computer. But a dumb social media toy there's like gazillion options.

• Like 1

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1

I tend to agree with you, but phone cameras have become super good. all flagship cameras 2021 and up are basically amazing. I have a hard time taking a bad picture with my s21 ultra and its cool taking 4k/60 or 8k videos of my dog which will be with me forever, trapping the memories. I think at the end of the day its just a phone but when something that small does more and a better job than my 2000 dollar laptop I can't help but be perma-impressed

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

also I would like to add yes putting your phone in the freezer then running a benchmark improve scores lols

I scored like 780 000 stock with my s21 ultra...then in the freezer got 825375 pretty big jump and close to a stock 8 gen 1

tips, to gather, live in antartica and your scores should improve...but beware

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Samsung S10+, an upgrade from the S6 and S7 before it. Before that, a long string of iPhones (I still have an iPhone 6 that I keep for troubleshooting purposes).  I may try a Google Pixel next. Overall, I'm steering clear of iPhones because I like having three menu 'buttons', and I like having 'live' information like weather display on the main screen, as well as having the 'always on' clock display. Oh, and I still use the headphone jack! I do miss the mechanical 'mute' button, though, that seems unique to the iPhone family. 

I love the long battery life, and big screen. I find the curved edges to be 'faddy'; I really don't know why they bother. I love the 'Your Timeline' Google feature (available on any Android phone, I presume).  

A recent update seems to have FINALLY made the fingerprint sensor work decently, and oh boy, what a great enhancement that is - a great alternative to face recognition (which suddenly became problematic during Covid!).