NotebookTalk

Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Vasudev

5 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Yeah, the pad is fiddly to apply. Sticking it in the freezer didn't really help, that's why I bought the paste for future applications. 

The last question in my mind is whether Conductonaut would be able to significantly improve on this. 

Freezing didnt work? i was thinking thats the way to put it on. I was planning to put it in the frigde overnight and then applying it.

LE: Forgot the  ? 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

My cpu arrived today and I hope I have enough time to mount it later. I have found an tutorial how to apply the pad without damaging it. I'll try and use it.

Looks like it's good to freeze it and to take off the the plastic film from both sides is better to use a wide duct tape and peel it of from one go and not use the thin ones included in the package.

https://community.frame.work/t/honeywell-ptm7950-phase-change-thermal-pads-sheets-application-tips-and-results/20245

• Thumb Up 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

1 hour ago, cylix said:

My cpu arrived today and I hope I have enough time to mount it later. I have found an tutorial how to apply the pad without damaging it. I'll try and use it.

Looks like it's good to freeze it and to take off the the plastic film from both sides is better to use a wide duct tape and peel it of from one go and not use the thin ones included in the package.

https://community.frame.work/t/honeywell-ptm7950-phase-change-thermal-pads-sheets-application-tips-and-results/20245

I didn't even use the sticky peel things they didn't seem much use when i tried. I think my problem was that my sheet has bent and cracked in the post so some bits weren't really adhered to the surrounding bits of the pad and instead stuck to the film, i could of probably salvaged it if i cared enough but i had plenty spare anyway.

Got my 7950x3d inside and used the ptm7950 pad,  also got a secure frame from Thermalright mounted. I dont know if it helps but looks cool and for 12 euros was ok😊.  Now I need to leave the pad for curing. Did two r32 runs and the temp went to 86 only, so looks good no thermal throttling. 😁.. Well need to see how it behaves after some days of work and gaming.

I used a wide duct tape to take the second film from the pad and it worked, just one corner got a little stuck.

Image 2023-04-18.jpeg

2023-04-18.jpeg

Did some  temperature cycles on the CPU with some game benches and now i get in C23 a max of 82 Celsius, so 4 degrees cooler as before when i apply it. This thing is solid good. Maybe it will improve further

• Thumb Up 1

13 hours ago, cylix said:

Got my 7950x3d inside and used the ptm7950 pad,  also got a secure frame from Thermalright mounted. I dont know if it helps but looks cool and for 12 euros was ok😊.  Now I need to leave the pad for curing. Did two r32 runs and the temp went to 86 only, so looks good no thermal throttling. 😁.. Well need to see how it behaves after some days of work and gaming.

On the Intel side the contact frame gimmick helped ruin my mobo, and probably the CPU (delidding repaired it, fortunately). I would have recommended testing with the ILM first. 

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

On the Intel side the contact frame gimmick helped ruin my mobo, and probably the CPU (delidding repaired it, fortunately). I would have recommended testing with the ILM first. 

Oh how did that happen? I know on intel those are made to straighten the socket. For amd they are only for looks and to keep away the paste going over the weird looking ihs. Maybe helping with cooling for like 1 degree..

4 minutes ago, cylix said:

Oh how did that happen? I know on intel those are made to straighten the socket. For amd they are only for looks and to keep away the paste going over the weird looking ihs. Maybe helping with cooling for like 1 degree..

Bent CPU and failed IHS solder, then bent pins ultimately. Well you are replacing a factory-calibrated ILM, with a mechanism where you no longer have that calibrated pressure applied on the IHS. Uneven pressure can cause the pins to bend, and potentially the solder to weaken. 

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

I see. Hopefully is not my case. Did this came over time or from the beginning? Il need to watch then for signs.

• Thumb Up 1

3 minutes ago, cylix said:

I see. Hopefully is not my case. Did this came over time or from the beginning? Il need to watch then for signs.

Over time weeks to months. First warnings signs are deteriorating temps. Absolutely resist the temptation to tighten the contact frame to improve temps (thinking that maybe the IHS is misaligned). 

-- Max Tegmark

Thanks. ill need to monitor it then and see how it behaves. Right now it looks like after a night of cooling the pad i have improved again with the temp. Staying steady at 80 degrees C in CR23.

• Thumb Up 1

1 minute ago, cylix said:

Thanks. ill need to monitor it then and see how it behaves. Right now it looks like after a night of cooling the pad i have improved again with the temp. Staying steady at 80 degrees C in CR23.

Oh yeah, with the first, better, pad, the temps kept improving for the first two days or so. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

On 4/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, Etern4l said:

Oh yeah, with the first, better, pad, the temps kept improving for the first two days or so. 

Do you have a link to the better pad?

Looks like I will need some more soon once I am through all of our laptops here 😄

14 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Do you have a link to the better pad?

Looks like I will need some more soon once I am through all of our laptops here 😄

Sorry no, it was an ebay purchase. I would recommend getting the branded stuff from ebuy7. Took maybe ten BDs to arrive with fairly cheap shipping.

-- Max Tegmark

17 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Sorry no, it was an ebay purchase. I would recommend getting the branded stuff from ebuy7. Took maybe ten BDs to arrive with fairly cheap shipping.

I also got some branded stuff but I do not even know if it is for real as I have no idea how the branded stuff is supposed to look...

So you got some more from ebuy recently and saw an improvement over the no-name stuff?

• Thumb Up 1

This is how my branded stuff came from ebuy7.

Also I think some of unbranded pads are 0.25mm thick and the original is 0.2mm like mine.

IMG-20230422-WA0061.jpg

IMG-20230422-WA0059.jpg

• Thumb Up 3

I saw people (and Linus) comment on the ebuy7 stuff. I only used pads from ebay UK. The one from an UK seller exhibited clear curing behaviour. Then an identically looking pad from China via ebay didn't exhibit such behaviour but is working well enough. I also have a tube of 7958 from ebuy7 wich looks similar to what @cylixposted. Have yet to try it out. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

• 1 month later...

@VasudevMaybe add this video in OP post.

Der8auer Rants About Misleading W/mK Marketing (Thermal Conductivity)

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2