NotebookTalk

Which Thermal Paste to buy and apply (Traditional and Liquid Metal)

Vasudev

Be Quiet! Releases Liquid metal and thermal paste.

BB2dkqv3Kb7JHmXx.jpg

bequiet-v1671661434261.png

be quiet! 2023 Thermal Pastes and Light Wings White Fans Pictured

Also at the 2023 International CES, be quiet! showed off its new and upcoming thermal interface materials and new Light Wings lines of case/radiator fans. The DC2 PRO is an enthusiast-grade liquid-metal thermal interface material for high-performance applications, targeting overclockers who know how to handle liquid metal. The company wouldn't put out thermal conductivity numbers but mentioned that the DC2 PRO should be competitive with the best liquid-metal TIMs out there (north of 70 W/mK). The DC2 (non-PRO) is a conventional ceramic base TIM that's electrically non-conductive, and can be used with bare copper surfaces (such as coolers with direct-touch heatpipes). We expect this one's conductivity to be north of 10 W/mK.
  • Thumb Up 5

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...

Phobya lasted much longer than SYY 157 on my system (constant 250-270W load), but after about 6 weeks it needs to be changed as well. Pretty annoyed by this, as repasting is both a downtime and a hassle. Will try MX-6 next - not much of a rationale there other than Arctic MX-4's reputation for longevity, but both are silicone-based which is a worry.

The problem is that it's hard to find information regarding longevity, as reviews generally just cover the immediate results which are kind of meaningless anyway (very close to each other for top pastes). Failing that I am not sure it's worth trying anything else in the traditional department, perhaps the phase change TIM @Falkentyne suggested. Other options would include tried and true products such as AS5 or IC Diamond. Don't really care about curing time, just long term reliability with reasonable performance. In the end all roads seem to lead to LM, CPU markings be damned, or need to bite the larger bullet and upgrade to a custom loop, perhaps with a chiller. Would just need a CPU block, as GPUs are running very cool. Yeah, probably need to start shopping for that... 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

15 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Phobya lasted much longer than SYY 157 on my system (constant 250-270W load), but after about 6 weeks it needs to be changed as well. Pretty annoyed by this, as repasting is both a downtime and a hassle. Will try MX-6 next - not much of a rationale there other than Arctic MX-4's reputation for longevity, but both are silicone-based which is a worry.

The problem is that it's hard to find information regarding longevity, as reviews generally just cover the immediate results which are kind of meaningless anyway (very close to each other for top pastes). Failing that I am not sure it's worth trying anything else in the traditional department, perhaps the phase change TIM @Falkentyne suggested. Other options would include tried and true products such as AS5 or IC Diamond. Don't really care about curing time, just long term reliability with reasonable performance. In the end all roads seem to lead to LM, CPU markings be damned, or need to bite the larger bullet and upgrade to a custom loop, perhaps with a chiller. Would just need a CPU block, as GPUs are running very cool. Yeah, probably need to start shopping for that... 

An option is to try that Honeywell  7950 Pad, it supposed to be made exactly for long longevity. I have some but didnt try it yet, i want to see first how the x3d chips from amd are and if i buy one next month then ill use it on that chip. dont want to waste it if i change my CPU.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

5 minutes ago, cylix said:

An option is to try that Honeywell  7950 Pad, it supposed to be made exactly for long longevity. I have some but didnt try it yet, i want to see first how the x3d chips from amd are and if i buy one next month then ill use it on that chip. dont want to waste it if i change my CPU.

Thanks, sounds like a great idea, the problem is availability - eBay looks like the only quick option here. The pad size is 31x50mm, which will just about fit the LGA1700 IHS ( 28.30x38.30mm). Sounds like a plan! I already have the MX-6 in hand so will try that first though.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

I got it from this chinese ebay: https://www.ebuy7.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=632208664079

It got in around 3 weeks to Germany, maybe US shipping is faster

• Thumb Up 3

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

24 minutes ago, cylix said:

I got it from this chinese ebay: https://www.ebuy7.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=632208664079

It got in around 3 weeks to Germany, maybe US shipping is faster

Thanks, probably the best option. It's also on eBay UK for immediate delivery at 3x the price from a 14 star seller...

I could also get things like TFX (from some low rank Chinese seller on Amazon), Alphacool Apex, and Corsair XTM70, but the TFX seems to not be holding up too well according to some anecdotes (probably another short term OC product), and the other two have no track record, but probably the same "great but short life" category.

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

So far so good with the MX-6, it's not mind blowing, but temps and system performance have been restored to the expected levels (around 30C on idle, and only sometimes hitting 100C  at 270W). Well, frankly, it feels a bit less effective than fresh Phobya, but acceptably so.

Additionally, I may have had an issue with some of the screws on the LGA1700 contact frame not being tightened evenly. We will see how it all goes over the next weeks, but will source the Honeywell pad as backup.

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

OK, MX-6 doesn't really cut for me. Even if it's reliable, despite being silicone based, the performance out of the gate is insufficient, the CPU throttles under heavy load with a 360 AIO and like 11 fans.. I couldn't resist and ordered the Alphacool Apex, as this seems to be an improved Phobya NGE, with focus on reliability... 

-- Max Tegmark

7 hours ago, Etern4l said:

OK, MX-6 doesn't really cut for me. Even if it's reliable, despite being silicone based, the performance out of the gate is insufficient, the CPU throttles under heavy load with a 360 AIO and like 11 fans.. I couldn't resist and ordered the Alphacool Apex, as this seems to be an improved Phobya NGE, with focus on reliability... 

I think you might want to try TG carbonaut or even ICD High Compressible graphite pad. For me both of them are lasting quite long on laptops. I'm unsure about the performance or reliability with 300W+ and those pads quickly fall out of line from LM and traditional pastes. I thought Linus Tech tips kept a stock of Honeywell Phase change pads but I couldn't find it on their store page.

• Thumb Up 1

Yeah, I don't think a graphite pad is going to cut it. There is one more thing to do which is forgo silence and upgrade fans to 3000 rpm., at least on the AIO... Would prefer to keep the LM card up my sleeve until the last moment. 

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

On 11/30/2022 at 3:28 AM, Etern4l said:

Looked legit, in fact the packaging was excellent, although who knows. Bought this on Amazon from an outfit called ZBXC-UK on which the following details are provided:

Customer Services Address:
shenzhenshilonghuaqulonghuajiedao
yucuishequjianhuilu21haoxinweidasha11ceng116fang
shenzhenshi
guangdongsheng
CN
Business Address:
Shenzhenshi longhuaqu longhuajiedao yucuishequ
jianhuilu121hao xinweidasha11ceng1116fang
Shenzhenshi
Longhuaqu
Guangdongsheng
CN

For what it's worth, I grabbed an 8g pack of SYY-157 back in Nov. 2021 off of Amazon from ZBXC-DE. Same business address and everything by the looks of it. I repasted my P775 a week ago using that and thermals have been pretty great, so I think I'll be saving that paste for my laptops. It was a little bit of a pain to spread because the laptop has copper shims on both the CPU and GPU. 

Obsidian-PC P775DM3-G | 7700K, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, 512GB 960 Pro, 1TB 860 Evo
Obsidian-PC PA71HP6-G | 7820HK, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 256GB 970 Evo, 512GB 860 Evo
HP Compaq nx6110 | Pentium M 755, 2GB RAM, 128GB IDE SSD

9 minutes ago, a.Techie said:

For what it's worth, I grabbed an 8g pack of SYY-157 back in Nov. 2021 off of Amazon from ZBXC-DE. Same business address and everything by the looks of it. I repasted my P775 a week ago using that and thermals have been pretty great, so I think I'll be saving that paste for my laptops. It was a little bit of a pain to spread because the laptop has copper shims on both the CPU and GPU. 

It may be good enough for a laptop, but would urge caution with heavily utilized high-end desktops.

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

Update on Honeywell7950SP (Paste):

After almost 8 months it finally degrade as my temps was hitting in the 90c's repeatedly and over 100C at times when playing games like Cyberpunk even with the laptop elevated. My laptop fans was pretty dusty and even cleaning the fans my laptop temps didnt change so i was forced to repaste. After removing my heatsink the paste was almost dry and had a lot of gaps where the my CPU and GPU die was exposed. This time when i repasted i used the spatula that came with the honeywell 7950 package to spread the paste, like i said before its a thick paste almost like putty and covered my CPU and GPU die completely with a thick layer.

J8y5bZ5.jpg 

Not the cleanest job as it was late at night but very effective especially when you see my temps and cinebench score below:

NCKeoEd.png

After running cinebench 3 times not only i got my highest score but my CPU temps never went above 88C and games stayed in the 70Cs range!. Im still not sure how long it takes for it cure but the results took effect very quickly this time!.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Thanks 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

I evaluated MX-6 and it's a "not really" for 280W workloads. Testing Alphacool Apex 17W/mK now. It's probably the thickest paste I've ever used, quite difficult to apply, it "peels off" easily, the temps however, were a markedly better than with MX-6 (thanks to @Papusan for the tip). I also have tubes of TFX and XTM70 waiting in the pipeline. My assumption now is just that I will just have to repaste often given the load.

• Thumb Up 4

-- Max Tegmark

Actually that kind of makes sense. Alphacool doesn't really specialize in laptop products, and if the paste is very thick, it requires high heatsink pressure, which laptops typically lack. Anyway the paste is holding up so far (in conjunction with a serous cooling upgrade) which is always good.

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

Apex on the CPU should be no problem the contact pressure is good enough for this with the GE76 Raider.

For the GPU was it not enough so i used TFX on the GPU.

But since Honeywell I don't wanna use somehting else 😄

• Thumb Up 3

cheerio

jp

1. Desktop Gaming RIG | i7 13700KF | MSI MEGZ690 Unify | F5-6400 CL32 not testet yet  | M.2_1 SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB | MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio white Edition | Lian Li O11D XL with 10 Fan setup | 3 bottom (in-take) | 3 top (in-take) | 3 side (out-take | 1 back (out.take)
2. Mobile Gaming | Raider GE78HX 13VI

3. MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth
4. MSI GE73VR 7RF Raider with 4K Screen

R.I.P GE76 Raider 11UH-208 UK with BOE CQ NE173QHM-NZ1 WQHD 240Hz

On 2/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, JeanLegi said:

Apex on the CPU should be no problem the contact pressure is good enough for this with the GE76 Raider.

For the GPU was it not enough so i used TFX on the GPU.

But since Honeywell I don't wanna use somehting else 😄

Once you go Honeywell you aint going back 😎.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

For those who tried Corsair XTM70: did you use their applicator lattice sticker, and was there any curing time? I gave it a go, but I'm not too impressed so far. I used the applicator sticker on the coldplate as per instructions....

-- Max Tegmark

OK, so XTM70 wasn't bad - it kind of matched the performance of Alphacool Apex after it deteriorated a bit over the last two weeks. I used the suggested "easy" application method, but this almost surely resulted of overapplication of the paste. The paste is quite dry, almost clay like, so not sure how easy it would be to apply without the sticker mould. I would try a traditional application before dismissing this though.

Not being quite happy with the result, I then tried Thermaltake TFX: instant fail - 2-3C worse than than XTM70, CB23 crashed, went in the bin. Sourced from a Chinese seller on Amazon so could have been fake. 

Lastly, used CoolerMaster CryoFuze (as recommended by @tps3443 if I recall correctly) and actually this improved noticeably over the XTM70 so running with it now - hopefully it lasts. Application method could matter as well, in the last one I used a card to ensure the thinnest and most even spread possible. Will see how it goes. I haven't ordered a PTM 7950 pad yet, kind of loathe to order from ebay or ebuy7, but I guess there is no other way.

• Thumb Up 2

-- Max Tegmark

• Thumb Up 3
  • Hands 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900K | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

TFX degraded spectacularly fast. Testing PTM7950 now, hope I won't need another paste (short of going with direct die). Initial results were phenomenal, although have fallen off after a couple of days (still good though). Wonder how long it will last.

• Thumb Up 3

-- Max Tegmark

50 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

TFX degraded spectacularly fast. Testing PTM7950 now, hope I won't need another paste (short of going with direct die). Initial results were phenomenal, although have fallen off after a couple of days (still good though). Wonder how long it will last.

So you got the paste or the pad? How long was the delivery?

• Thumb Up 1

7 minutes ago, cylix said:

So you got the paste or the pad? How long was the delivery?

The pad. I paid off a local ebay scalper so delivery was quick - shame on me :( Tricky to apply, glad I ordered a 80x40mm sheet, I ruined the first half. The application kit was helpful. Performance was poor initially (275W max power in CB23) and then the magic started happening, each CB23 run the max power draw started climbing - went up to 335W, which is the highest I can remember. Now fell off to 320W which is still good compared to other pastes after a few days. Fingers crossed. I have to note that the pad I received was not Honeywell branded, just a generic PTM7950. Have another one coming from China just in case. I don't really see a reason to try the paste, however, might do if this fails.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Bump 2

-- Max Tegmark

13 hours ago, Papusan said:

Cool, pardon the pun.  I will stick with my NT-H2. a degree difference is not going to make or break a system at all.  

• Thumb Up 3

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses