NotebookTalk

Got an Update from Dell. Seems like they are waiting for "Performance with SmartCard and SSD Door".

Funny as I did not really choose the SSD door, it was kind of automatically added in my configuration.

I had no focus on the SSD door thing, so after my order was active, I found out that it was on my initial offer.

I don't think I would have actively chosen it, so what a pitty this it is now causing the delay....

They say that they "hope" that my order will be handled with priority now. 🤣 And they will get back to me with further info....of course.

Dell Precision 7670 - i7-12850HX/RTX3080Ti

On 8/9/2022 at 7:49 PM, terrato said:

The status of mine has been changed to "In-Production". Maybe there are more 1T SSD disks in stock?

Still waiting for the "In-Production" change.  Could be the 2Tb SSD or the 4k display.  Maybe next week.

(T)Hank(s)

Dell Precision 7770 On Order

6 hours ago, operator said:

I asked Dell to ship the device without the SSD door, they did not agree. 🙂

In the meantime the order status is now showing as delayed and new ETA was set to Sept. 16th. 😞

SSD door is apparently required if you got the "performance chassis" and also a SmartCard or fingerprint reader.  (They don't offer a performance chassis with the SmartCard reader but without the SSD door.  Adding a fingerprint reader automatically forces the SmartCard option.)

If you think about it, there would have to be eight versions of the bottom cover so (...given the challenges that they seem to have had just getting this system ready to go...) it makes sense that they're not all immediately available.

• Thin chassis / no SmartCard reader / no SSD door
  • Thin chassis / SmartCard reader / no SSD door
  • Thin chassis / no SmartCard reader / SSD door
  • Thin chassis / SmartCard reader / SSD door
  • Performance chassis / no SmartCard reader / no SSD door
  • Performance chassis / SmartCard reader / no SSD door
  • Performance chassis / no SmartCard reader / SSD door
  • Performance chassis / SmartCard reader / SSD door

Anyway, right, they can't make changes to the system build after the order is put in.  You'd have to cancel and reorder to change it.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

6 hours ago, alon said:

M.2 2280 2 TB, Gen 4 PCIe x4 NVMe, Solid State Drive = 778$

Is it tooo expensive - or am I wrong?

Yes, that is way too expensive, you can get one of those on amazon right now for around 230-240 bucks.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:03 PM, Aaron44126 said:

SSD door is apparently required if you got the "performance chassis" and also a SmartCard or fingerprint reader. 

SSD door is required if you have SmartCard or fingeprint reader?

But IIRC you have fingerprint reader but no SSD door?

1 hour ago, operator said:

SSD door is required if you have SmartCard or fingeprint reader?

But IIRC you have fingerprint reader but no SSD door?

Yes… This is specific to 7670 with performance chassis.  They didn’t make a version with the SmartCard reader but without the SSD door (so it appears).

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

7 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Yes… This is specific to 7670 with performance chassis.  They didn’t make a version with the SmartCard reader but without the SSD door (so it appears).

Think it would help if there is a version without SSD-door, without SmartCard reader but with fingerprint reader.

13 minutes ago, operator said:

Think it would help if there is a version without SSD-door, without SmartCard reader but with fingerprint reader.

Fingerprint reader option forces the SmartCard option so you won't see this in any of the variants.  Probably, SmartCard support is included with any ControlVault configuration so they figured they might as well just include the slot.  The non-SmartCard chassis still has a gap in the same spot to allow for "prying" the bottom cover off, so the chassis wouldn't look much different either way.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 hours ago, FabeFromBOD said:

The bad news has just fallen... 😭😭😭😭

image.thumb.png.534bd58ec35f92429366f28f5d5b65eb.png

My ETA hasn't change yet. However, seeing people like yourself who order before me, get pushed back to late September.... I pray this doesn't happen to me.                            

3 hours ago, LegacyZero said:

My ETA hasn't change yet. However, seeing people like yourself who order before me, get pushed back to late September.... I pray this doesn't happen to me.                            

It mainly depends on your ordered config and if you are lucky enough to get some items which are not out of stock or sold to sb. else with higher priority. 🙂

8 hours ago, operator said:

It mainly depends on your ordered config and if you are lucky enough to get some items which are not out of stock or sold to sb. else with higher priority. 🙂

Here is my config :

Dell Mobile Precision Workstation 7770 CTO

E5 Power Cord 1M for EuropeNuméro de l’article: 470-AFGQ
Intel Core i9-12950HX, 30MB Cache, 24 Threads, 16 Core, 2.3GHz to 5.0GHz vPro
SmartCard and SSD Door
Intel Core i9-12950HX, 30MB Cache, 24 Threads, 16 Core, 2.3GHz to 5.0GHz vPro
32GB, 1x32GB NECC 4800MHz DDR5 CAMM Module
M.2 2280 1 TB, Gen 4 PCIe x4 NVMe, Solid State Drive
240W SFF Power Adapter
Worldwide Ship Mod (240W)
17.3-inch, WLED UHD 3840 x 2160, 120 Hz, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 99% DCIP3, 500 nits, IR Cam/Mic WLAN
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti w/ 16GB GDDR6
Non-FIPS finger printer and smart card, with NFC
No Mobile Broadband Card
No Additional Hard Drive
No RAID
Single Pointing Backlit French European Keyboard
Resource Media not Included
No Media
No AutoPilot
Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial - Excludes Office License
No UPC Label
No Anti-Virus Software
BTO Standard Shipment (EL)
Custom BTO Configuration
Dell Order
Shipping Docs - English, French, German, Italian, Dutch
EPEAT 2018 Registered (Gold)
SupportAssist
Dell(TM) Digital Delivery Cirrus Client
Dell Client System Update (Updates latest Dell Recommended BIOS, Drivers, Firmware and Apps)
Waves Maxx Audio
Dell Power Manager
Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Tool
Intel Core i9 non-vPro Processor Label
Windows 11 Pro, English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
Notebook - Free Freight SKU
Contribution environnementale
Manageability Disabled
ENERGY STAR Qualified
Quick Setup Guide for Mobile Precision 7770
Instruction Label France
Dell Optimizer for Precision
FHD/IR Camera, ExpressSign-In, Intelligent privacy, Camera Shutter, Mic
6-Cell 93WHr Lithium Ion Battery
Intel Wifi 6E (6GHz) AX211 2x2 with Bluetooth Wireless
Wireless Intel AX211 WLAN Driver No-Bluetooth South Africa
ProSupport Plus and Next Business Day Onsite Service Initial, 36 Mois
ProSupport Plus and Keep Your Hard Drive, 36 Mois
ProSupport Plus et Garantie Dommage Accidentel, 36 Mois
Basic Onsite Service 36 Months

Dell Précision 7520 (home) • Dell Précision 7770 (work) . Expected Précision 7780 09/23

After lurking here for a few months (thanks to the OP for this thread, which is the only decent source of 7x70 gossip/info on the net), I just joined to say thanks and... I just got this, re: my 7770, ordered on day 1:

We apologize for the delay.

Thank you for your recent order with Dell. We are working to ship your order as quickly as possible. The delivery date for your order to arrive has been updated to SEP. 12, 2022

• Bump 1
  • Sad 1

I've been following Precision launches closely for over a decade and this is the oddest one by far.  I'm sure there are more, but sitting here at almost six weeks in, I'm only aware of two 7770's in the wild (mine, and the guy who did the Chinese review), and no 7670's at all ... and for order status, of the people posting here, (other than me) only one 7670 has gotten to "In production" status (@terrato, a week ago — should wrap up soon if his timeline ends up similar to mine).

...And honestly I sort of feel like I have a "beta" system, with the defective display and seems-to-be defective heatsink assembly.  Precision is supposed to have additional QC with systems going out in the launch window.

(As an update, it looks like the display will finally be swapped out later this week and I'm waiting for that to be settled before I start asking about the heatsink assembly.)

So, just as well wait and let this settle out; hopefully they will solve whatever production issue is holding these up within the next few weeks.  And hopefully the next units that we see arriving have less issues.  (Also, despite this, it's not like HP or Lenovo have gotten theirs to market any faster.)  😕

8 hours ago, FabeFromBOD said:

Here is my config :

Other than the SSD, RAM, and keyboard, it looks like we have the same system.  No idea why a few systems got out and most others haven't.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

21 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I've been following Precision launches closely for over a decade and this is the oddest one by far.  I'm sure there are more, but sitting here at almost six weeks in, I'm only aware of two 7770's in the wild (mine, and the guy who did the Chinese review), and no 7670's at all ... and for order status, of the people posting here, (other than me) only one 7670 has gotten to "In production" status (@terrato, a week ago — should wrap up soon if his timeline ends up similar to mine).

...And honestly I sort of feel like I have a "beta" system, with the defective display and seems-to-be defective heatsink assembly.  Precision is supposed to have additional QC with systems going out in the launch window.

(As an update, it looks like the display will finally be swapped out later this week and I'm waiting for that to be settled before I start asking about the heatsink assembly.)

So, just as well wait and let this settle out; hopefully they will solve whatever production issue is holding these up within the next few weeks.  And hopefully the next units that we see arriving have less issues.  (Also, despite this, it's not like HP or Lenovo have gotten theirs to market any faster.)  😕

Other than the SSD, RAM, and keyboard, it looks like we have the same system.  No idea why a few systems got out and most others haven't.

Have you tested the GPU to see if its power limited yet? Whats you opinion on the CAMM? 

21 minutes ago, Redrider said:

Have you tested the GPU to see if its power limited yet? Whats you opinion on the CAMM? 

NVIDIA control panel says 150W limit, but it seems to be practically limited at 130W.  (Less if the CPU is also busy.  GPU+CPU share a power budget of somewhere around 170W.)

I have mixed opinion on CAMM.  I can see that something needs to happen with SODIMM or it won't make it to the end of the DDR5 cycle.  Dell is taking the right steps in trying to get a new standard out there that addresses the issues and that everyone can hop on.  It will be a process that could take a few years — CAMM will have to be approved by JEDEC, then other laptop manufacturers will need to negotiate patent agreements with Dell.  The pipeline for designing a new laptop is about two years to begin with — other manufacturers wouldn't even be taking CAMM into consideration at present, so if everything up front goes at blistering speed, I still wouldn't see other laptop makers offering CAMM in their systems before late 2025.  If Dell is successful, it will be better for everyone (eventually), and there should be many manufacturers offering CAMM modules.  If they are not and some other standard takes over, then it'll just be harder / more expensive to ever upgrade the memory in these systems...

(Worst case, SODIMM disappears without an agreed-upon replacement.  Most manufacturers move to soldered memory exclusively, and a few move to their own unique "standard", either something entirely unique like CAMM or a proprietary/modified version of SODIMM... this all being similar to what happened with MXM GPUs.)

• Thumb Up 3

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

NVIDIA control panel says 150W limit, but it seems to be practically limited at 130W.  (Less if the CPU is also busy.  GPU+CPU share a power budget of somewhere around 170W.)

I have mixed opinion on CAMM.  I can see that something needs to happen with SODIMM or it won't make it to the end of the DDR5 cycle.  Dell is taking the right steps in trying to get a new standard out there that addresses the issues and that everyone can hop on.  It will be a process that could take a few years — CAMM will have to be approved by JEDEC, then other laptop manufacturers will need to negotiate patent agreements with Dell.  The pipeline for designing a new laptop is about two years to begin with — other manufacturers wouldn't even be taking CAMM into consideration at present, so if everything up front goes at blistering speed, I still wouldn't see other laptop makers offering CAMM in their systems before late 2025.  If Dell is successful, it will be better for everyone (eventually), and there should be many manufacturers offering CAMM modules.  If they are not and some other standard takes over, then it'll just be harder / more expensive to ever upgrade the memory in these systems...

(Worst case, SODIMM disappears without an agreed-upon replacement.  Most manufacturers move to soldered memory exclusively, and a few move to their own unique "standard", either something entirely unique like CAMM or a proprietary/modified version of SODIMM... this all being similar to what happened with MXM GPUs.)

I took into question the size of the power brick and the total watts of both CPU and GPU. I questioned  how they were to get power to both units. My guess was to limit something but the CPU is now also limited by the overheating of the cores.  Even if a solution to the cooling system system is resolved then it goes back to the power delivery. I'm no hardware engineer but I think the engineering at Dell pooched this. LOL its still better than the 6600 I have. I agree with the new CAMM. Hope there's some solution to this I want to get one on order.