NotebookTalk

I decided to cancel my 7770 order. I need a laptop within a few weeks and I don't believe I will get it in time. I ended up finding an alternative that meet most of my requirements. I wish everyone the best of luck, and hopefully by me canceling my order. It will make someone else's order a tad faster.

I think you will not experience a differnece.

I bought 3x 980 pro - and they will be much cheaper for a long time.

when they release a 4TB Version next year - that will be interesting.

my 7670 was promissed for this week - now i got a mail with Oktober... 😒

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, LegacyZero said:

I decided to cancel my 7770 order. I need a laptop within a few weeks and I don't believe I will get it in time. I ended up finding an alternative that meet most of my requirements. I wish everyone the best of luck, and hopefully by me canceling my order. It will make someone else's order a tad faster.

I cancelled my 7770 order at the beginning of this month when my sales rep told me the production was AGAIN postponed. Then, as an alternative, I ordered a 7760 on August 8th, and it arrived on August 15th. 😄

• Thumb Up 2

Dell Precision 7760: Core i9-11950H vPro / 4x 32GB SK hynix Non-ECC DDR4-3200 CL17 / GeForce RTX 3080 16GB / 17.3" IPS UHD 120Hz / WiFi 6E AX210 / 1x PC801 2TB (boot), 2x XG7-P 4TB, 1x 960PRO 2TB, 1x 2450 2230 1TB (wwan) / 6-Cell 95Wh LLC, 240W / Win10 Pro for Workstations
Dell Precision M6800: Core i7-4940MX / 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3L-2133 CL11 / Quadro P5000 16GB / 17.3" FHD / WiFi 6E AX210 miniPCIe / ME909s-821a 4G WWAN / 860EVO mSATA 1TB (boot) / 1x 5200ECO 3.84TB / 2x 5100PRO 3.84TB / Win10 Pro for Workstations
QNAP TVS-951N: Celeron 3865U / 2x 16GB DDR4 / 2x D3-S4510 7.68TB / 2x 5200ECO 7.68TB / 2x 5210ion 7.68TB / 4x 870QVO 8TB / 3x 5100ECO 7.68TB / 1x 5100PRO 3.84TB / 5x QDA-A2AR adapter

15 hours ago, Victor said:

I cancelled my 7770 order at the beginning of this month when my sales rep told me the production was AGAIN postponed. Then, as an alternative, I ordered a 7760 on August 8th, and it arrived on August 15th. 😄

I decided to go with a non dell workstation. MSI CreatorPro X17 A12UMS

1 hour ago, Dell-Mano_G said:

Dell Precision deep dive happening right now on the client community.  https://innovatisgroup.zoom.us/j/91326300123?pwd=VUtrTXRFTzQ4TDVpWDZ5eGFlRktzZz09

Hi @Dell-Mano_G I think I was too late, was this recorded or will the content be available some other way/ be repeated, I wasn’t aware of the client community let alone this webcast! 

1 hour ago, Dell-Mano_G said:

Dell Precision deep dive happening right now on the client community.  https://innovatisgroup.zoom.us/j/91326300123?pwd=VUtrTXRFTzQ4TDVpWDZ5eGFlRktzZz09

I happened to notice this and joined the meeting at around 1:15 PM U.S. Eastern (17:15 UTC).  I missed the beginning bit.  Basically, different Dell reps went through the different Precision models from this generation (3000, 5000, 7000) and some light Q&A.  Most of the information was stuff that we already know.

One specific that I noted — When asked about OLED panels in the Precision 5000 series, Dell rep Albert Scovel mentioned that there were quality issues with the Precision 5540 OLED panel (burn-in, compatibility, ...) and so they have dropped OLED from the Precision 5000 line.  Noting that commercial laptops are expected to be on for many hours every day, they have not felt comfortable enough with any of the current OLED panel offerings to bring them back to Precision 5000.  .........I've been worried about burn-in in particular; I'm very interested in moving to OLED for whatever my next successor laptop is, but only if burn-in isn't a concern anymore.  It was mentioned that steps were taken to address burn-in in Precision 5540, but I guess it wasn't a full fix.  We'll see what happens with the Precision 7670 OLED.  Hard to get excited right off the bat because issues will probably take many hours of use to crop up.

...I can't wait for microLED in laptops to be a thing...

When asked about CAMM and standardization, Dell rep Alex Tyltin mentioned that JEDEC has given some "positive feedback" but that's really all that was said about it.  In the chat, @Dell-Mano_G also mentioned that they are working with the JEDEC standards board.  It was noticed by the Dell reps that there is interest in more information on CAMM and they will look into setting up a webinar just for that.

When asked about HX (7000 series) availability, Dell rep Alex Tyltin acknowledged the delays, noted that they are monitoring the supply chain situation and said that "aspirationally" they hope to see the supply chain issues resolved and backlog cleared out by October, stressing that this is more of a goal than a promise.  (A number of users in the chat mentioned similar stories to what we are seeing here; estimated delivery dates being pushed out to late September.)  He also mentioned that indeed they were originally aiming for a May launch.

He also indicated that they have no intention of dropping the 17" workstation offering in the near future.

@Dell-Mano_G Is there some place to be notified of these webinars in advance?

• Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 hours ago, LegacyZero said:

I decided to go with a non dell workstation. MSI CreatorPro X17 A12UMS

Isn't that the workstation version of Titan-GT77 ? I remember checking out its thread some time ago and the benchmarks were quite good. But was also said to be very loud IIRC.

I kind of keep searching for replacements/alternatives every now and then, but each time my heart tells me to go back and wait for Dell for some reason :D 

• Like 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

7 hours ago, serpro69 said:

Isn't that the workstation version of Titan-GT77 ? I remember checking out its thread some time ago and the benchmarks were quite good. But was also said to be very loud IIRC.

I kind of keep searching for replacements/alternatives every now and then, but each time my heart tells me to go back and wait for Dell for some reason 😄

Yes, this appears to be the "workstation" version of the Titan-GT77. What thread do you speak of? I haven't found anything related to it's benchmarks.

I know the feeling, I want to wait for the 7770. However, I need something soon.

11 hours ago, LegacyZero said:

Yes, this appears to be the "workstation" version of the Titan-GT77. What thread do you speak of? I haven't found anything related to it's benchmarks.

I know the feeling, I want to wait for the 7770. However, I need something soon.

There is a video discussing DTR-related issues on the GT77:

Maybe the CreatorPro X17 is better though in both some hardware differences and software improvements. I am curious if it has a membrane keyboard instead of the mechanical used on the GT77. I am also curious if any of the display outputs are wired to the Intel GPU in hybrid mode.

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

16 hours ago, LegacyZero said:

What thread do you speak of? I haven't found anything related to it's benchmarks.

The GT77 thread is here.

There's a youtube review on the second page that has some benchmarks, among other things.

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

10 hours ago, serpro69 said:

The GT77 thread is here.

There's a youtube review on the second page that has some benchmarks, among other things.

The MSI CreatorPro X17 A12UMS should have similar performance to the GT77 Titan due to it's obvious similarities. However, it's still different and I haven't seen any reviews on it specifically

15 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

There is a video discussing DTR-related issues on the GT77:

Maybe the CreatorPro X17 is better though in both some hardware differences and software improvements. I am curious if it has a membrane keyboard instead of the mechanical used on the GT77. I am also curious if any of the display outputs are wired to the Intel GPU in hybrid mode.

That was a bit of a strange review and each time I see people discuss the power brick being too large and chunky I want to puke - not that difficult to get a smaller version for travelling. With a battery life of at least 4 hours and up to 6 I doubt that a battery would even be necessary in the boardroom meetings like the one he pretends to be crashing with the "monstrous" power brick. I also never had an issue to connect a Thunderbolt dock to any of my MSI laptops (Akitio, Dell (2x) and HP) in order to get a third monitor output but hey I must be some kind of wizard....

As for the membrane keyboard my contact at MSI confirmed that to me, probably the keyboard you already know from the GE76 save for the numpad section.

Software could indeed use some improvement but I am not quite sure to which lengths MSI would go to differentiate the X17 from the GT77 - they do not even seem to have a proper workstation logo any more but then the Dragon does not look too bad in all black and white:

https://www.msi.com/Content-Creation/CreatorPro-X17-A12UX/Gallery#lg=1&slide=4

In any case this is probably better discussed over in the MSI section.

• Thumb Up 2

49 minutes ago, LegacyZero said:

The MSI CreatorPro X17 A12UMS should have similar performance to the GT77 Titan due to it's obvious similarities. However, it's still different and I haven't seen any reviews on it specifically

Indeed not a single review so far. Would be cool if you could either open a thread in the MSI section or post in the GT77 thread. When will you get it?

• Thumb Up 1

4 hours ago, LegacyZero said:

I think it should be at least better built with higher QC (similarly to Dell's XPS vs Precision), and have a better keyboard (work oriented and not a gaming one). Performance wise, it shouldn't be worse than the gaming version at the very least.

PS: let's maybe move the discussion to MSI section? :D 

• Thumb Up 2

GitHub

Spoiler

i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160

1 hour ago, serpro69 said:

I think it should be at least better built with higher QC (similarly to Dell's XPS vs Precision), and have a better keyboard (work oriented and not a gaming one). Performance wise, it shouldn't be worse than the gaming version at the very least.

PS: let's maybe move the discussion to MSI section? 😄

Without wanting to turn this into a political discussion be aware MicroStar International (MSI) are one for the few PC manufacturers still doing business in/ with Russia. That rules out purchasing anything from them out for me. 

see https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-1000-companies-have-curtailed-operations-russia-some-remain

• Thumb Up 5

7 hours ago, AL123 said:

Without wanting to turn this into a political discussion be aware MicroStar International (MSI) are one for the few PC manufacturers still doing business in/ with Russia. That rules out purchasing anything from them out for me. 

see https://som.yale.edu/story/2022/over-1000-companies-have-curtailed-operations-russia-some-remain

Interesting information, might be good to post this in the general section as it also is of interest regarding other manufacturers? Without going into the politics of this it is good for people to make an informed decision.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1