NotebookTalk

13 minutes ago, Dell-Mano_G said:

I can tell you that those are old and defective.  

Thanks for the info, I already assumed it.

Can you give some more details on how to detect such an defective part and in general what issues were found with this charge of chassis that supposed to cause the delay in building all the machines?

Thanks

Dell Precision 7670 - i7-12850HX/RTX3080Ti

52 minutes ago, Dell-Mano_G said:

I can tell you that those are old and defective.  

This is troubling on all levels of quality control. What was the disposition of these parts from not fit for use (quarantined) to sell on the black market? Being in the plastic industry these part should have been disposed of properly ...destroyed. Based on these on e-bay they could also be put back into production. Is the same procedure used for electronic rejects?

Whut? These defective back covers are being sold on ebay now? That is so wrong... Can't help but wonder why they weren't disposed of right away. Or maybe a batch that got out before the issue was discovered? The back covers sometimes become available even before the whole machine is out.

But in any case, the quality control on this year's Precisions is worrying...

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

There seems to be some supply chain leakage.  These bottom covers have been available on Taobao/eBay since late February (at least), well before the systems launched.

I want to know, what makes a bottom cover "defective"?  I guess it could be malformed or not have the right dimensions, but otherwise it's basically a fixed piece that doesn't have to do much, there are no electronics in it.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

2 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

There seems to be some supply chain leakage.  These bottom covers have been available on Taobao/eBay since late February (at least), well before the systems launched.

I want to know, what makes a bottom cover "defective"?  I guess it could be malformed or not have the right dimensions, but otherwise it's basically a fixed piece that doesn't have to do much, there are no electronics in it.

This is where NDAs come in. Though this is a plastic part the same issue could be with electrical components. For the door it could have been an engineering change also. This hasnt changed my mind on getting the 7770 only delayed it. Overall I'm not even sure what Dell holds their vendor quality to. Are these vendors ISO certified? Im not a computer systems expert and cannot do the tuning you do. So hopefully as time goes by Dell will adjust up the performance. 

1 hour ago, operator said:

The chassis shouldn't be a plastic part. It is made of metal.

Yes but the door may be. Regardless if the door is a stamped metal part it should not be sold out to the black market as a Dell part. The NDA would have or should have prevented this.

11 hours ago, Redrider said:

Yes but the door may be. Regardless if the door is a stamped metal part it should not be sold out to the black market as a Dell part. The NDA would have or should have prevented this.

Door is same metal as the chassis, as it looks like it is also part of the heat transport from the first SSD:

image.thumb.png.2f995d27aec87610816ee169b43acf00.png

But I agree that in general that kind of parts should not exist on the market, especially not way long before the systems even hit the market. Not sure who would buy it then anyway. I don't think any company is happy to see this happening.

• Thumb Up 2

2 hours ago, operator said:

Not sure who would buy it then anyway. I don't think any company is happy to see this happening.

Exactly You see this with many manufacturers of electronics regardless of terms, NDA etc some people seem willing to break the law and leak parts out and well China supply chains in my experience are less strict about which laws they choose to follow!

To be honest I see little gain in this one, I’m not sure who is buying them and for what purpose?!

I’m just happy the chassis on the systems we are receiving are good quality and Dell chose not to ship items with sub standard parts. That is QA working in my opinion 

6 hours ago, operator said:

Door is same metal as the chassis, as it looks like it is also part of the heat transport from the first SSD:

But I agree that in general that kind of parts should not exist on the market, especially not way long before the systems even hit the market. Not sure who would buy it then anyway. I don't think any company is happy to see this happening.

Probably a mute point but it would be interesting to see the REV # on the new units for the door. I dont buy stuff off E-bay its buyer beware. 

21 hours ago, Tommi14 said:

Could you please provide info about the screen options for 7670 that do NOT use PWM

I get a feeling this won't be answered by Dell reps—you'll have to rely on empirical results from members here. 

I would bet that the OLED panel almost certainly uses PWM; with the normal LCD panels, it's honestly difficult to conclude without 'palm waving'/high-speed camera testing. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

The estimated ship date for the 7770 I ordered on Aug 10 was just revised from Sept 28 to Sep 18.  Now expected by Sept 28 rather than Oct 6.

Just as I was about to cancel the order and buy an XPS 17 instead.  

And these 8 days made the difference between canceling & buying XPS and now keeping the 7770? 😄

BTW. the ETA for my reordered 7670 is Nov. 9th 😆

On 9/14/2022 at 2:31 AM, Tommi14 said:

@Dell-Mano_G Could you please provide info about the screen options for 7670 that do NOT use PWM? I would like to know about this before making my choice.

All panels on the 7670, & 7770, are DC dimming and not PWM for panel backlight output.  

PWM is used for the system output to the panel but all panel backlight output is DC dimming. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Dell-Mano_G said:

All panels on the 7670, & 7770, are DC dimming and not PWM for panel backlight output.  

PWM is used for the system output to the panel but all panel backlight output is DC dimming. 

Is this true for the 7670 OLED as well? Because multiple articles on the net say that OLED brightness switching is "mostly" done by PWM and there is visible vibration with low-brightness setting.

4 hours ago, operator said:

And these 8 days made the difference between canceling & buying XPS and now keeping the 7770? 😄

No.  I've been impatient all along, but also too busy during my busy season to think about it much.  But when I just placed an order for an XPS 13 2-in-1 detachable for onsite work I happened to notice the earlier expected shipping date for the 7770.  Since it's relatively soon, I'll probably forego an XPS 17.

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:54 PM, Reshen said:

Ordered a 7670 a month ago and my tentative delivery date is the 10th of October. As we speak my fan on my 7510 is failing. Lets hope I make it 🙂

Seems like my delivery has moved up to 4th October! I hope Dell sticks to it.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:07 PM, ZN_lucky said:

Is this true for the 7670 OLED as well? Because multiple articles on the net say that OLED brightness switching is "mostly" done by PWM and there is visible vibration with low-brightness setting.

Thanks, @Dell-Mano_G, for the info! I would also be very interested to hear if OLED screen is also PWM-free.

45 minutes ago, FabeFromBOD said:

Does anyone know if the Samsung 980 pro goes with it's heatsink or if I need to choose the one without.

The heatsink will not fit.  Get it without.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi