NotebookTalk

State of the socket - are there any 2022 laptops with socketed CPU and GPU?

11 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

It is humorous to see impressive sounding names applied to such unimpressive products. "Predator" and "Zephyrus" and "Titan" immediately come to mind, but there are other examples. They should have more fitting names like "Prey" and "Milktoast" or "Space Heater" instead based on their specifications, performance and user experience. In the end they're all going to be worthy of titles such as "door stop" and "paper weight" LOL. With insanely expensive CPU/GPU/mobo integration and nothing within financial or practical reason being worthy of repairs or upgrades, they're all disposable one-shot wonders that overheat, thermal throttle and ultimately represent an extrordinarly foolish cash expenditure.

Predator is an apt name as it preys on the fools who think they bought something cool and great. Of course it is instead (thermally) hot and disposable to the nth degree and an end user cannot even upgrade its SSD - way to go Acer.

LOL at cash expenditure which I agree with. Best case scenario will be to sell these on before the warranty ends but that will be with a huge hit in resale value.

And I do not even want to know how the noise level will be when one dares to use the 14+ cores on most of these with any decent workload - time to get out the headphones I guess....

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2022 at 4:56 AM, 1610ftw said:

Who needs a non-inverted motherboard when all is soldered on anyway....

Here is what one can do with the Clevo X170 or rather what I did so far:

swap battery in an out without even opening it

installed CPU

installed and deinstalled RAM

took out the keyboard

installed and uninstalled SSDs

installed a network card

cleaned its fans

I could also have swapped the GPU if I had wanted or needed to do that - no need to buy a new laptop as it is soldered in like I would have to do with EVERY SINGLE laptop of the current generation.

This is how servicability is supposed to be and apart from the idiotic cables for the RGB and the slightly flimsy posterior cover it wasn't too difficult to do all of this on the X170.

Same for the mighty P870 where everything is similarly simple except for the battery that cannot be accessed that easily.

It would make more sense if mom's had some sort of official pricing like official gpus do. They don't so the become somewhat like half of expensive or as expensive as a modern gaming laptop. Also if they weren't hwid locked so they wouldn't have to be Id modded for the drivers to work unless from the OEM.( unless we wanted to gatekeep Gaming laptop users)

You would also need a cooling and motherboard standard since laptop designs are so variable.

6 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

It would make more sense if mom's had some sort of official pricing like official gpus do. They don't so the become somewhat like half of expensive or as expensive as a modern gaming laptop. Also if they weren't hwid locked so they wouldn't have to be Id modded for the drivers to work unless from the OEM.( unless we wanted to gatekeep Gaming laptop users)

You would also need a cooling and motherboard standard since laptop designs are so variable.

I do not think that we would need a standard for motherboards but MXM like boards that can be bought from different manufacturers would be VERY helpful. It is hard to promote such a solutions as it would still be a naked card without its own cooling so it can never be as cool as the flashy gamer cards with their big heatsinks, RGB and fans.

Of course a swappable GPU and possibly CPU could be made mandatory, same as RAM, network card, display, keyboard, storage and battery. I do not see this happening though at the moment as it would kill super thin and light. Or it may be tied to a certain price point where you cannot exceed a certain retail price or screen size without allowing for that.

• Thumb Up 1

15 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

I do not think that we would need a standard for motherboards but MXM like boards that can be bought from different manufacturers would be VERY helpful. It is hard to promote such a solutions as it would still be a naked card without its own cooling so it can never be as cool as the flashy gamer cards with their big heatsinks, RGB and fans.

Of course a swappable GPU and possibly CPU could be made mandatory, same as RAM, network card, display, keyboard, storage and battery. I do not see this happening though at the moment as it would kill super thin and light. Or it may be tied to a certain price point where you cannot exceed a certain retail price or screen size without allowing for that.

Also that jntel/amd killed the mobile socket laptop chips. Intel last one was 4th gen. Plus with so much versatile cooling systems heatsinks will be expensive.

Considering gaming laptops are trying to go for thin bezels, replaceable displays will be hard. 

15 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

How would that kill super thin? The Masses are buying that stuff, its the few and non-dispensible left out in the cold scrounging for lga, mxm and fat workable, modifiable laptops. We aren't a big enough market for them to take notice of

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

3 minutes ago, aldarxt said:

How would that kill super thin? The Masses are buying that stuff, its the few and non-dispensible left out in the cold scrounging for lga, mxm and fat workable, modifiable laptops. We aren't a big enough market for them to take notice of

This is becaus standards are mostly done by Intel and amd. They will apply that standard to every single laptop gaming or not. The exception is intel evo. But those have metric requirements not size requirements. 

Screenshot_20220621-180114_Chrome.jpg

7 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

Also that jntel/amd killed the mobile socket laptop chips. Intel last one was 4th gen. Plus with so much versatile cooling systems heatsinks will be expensive.

Considering gaming laptops are trying to go for thin bezels, replaceable displays will be hard. 

It is easy to forget that once there were mobile socket chips!

If they had to Intel and AMD could bring back mobile CPUs that are socketed and even reduce the height a little but not if they are not forced to. 

As for thin bezels I think everybody is going for those now which is why it would be very cool to have a P870 or MSI GT75 form factor laptop with a thin bezel and something like a 19" display.

Displays are really something that has degenerated with regard to size: We used to have up to 20" 16:10 and now we are reduced to a maximum size of 17.3" 16:9 or 17" 16:10. Back then tablets were 10" and now they are up to 15" - give it a year or two and they will surpass laptop screens!

• Thumb Up 1

7 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

This is becaus standards are mostly done by Intel and amd. They will apply that standard to every single laptop gaming or not. The exception is intel evo. But those have metric requirements not size requirements. 

Screenshot_20220621-180114_Chrome.jpg

A better list:

• must be able to reach and maintain advertised boost frequencies for a given ambient environment
  • must provide tool less mechanism to replace battery
  • must not excessively drain battery while sleeping or wake up until user has triggered a wake up event
  • must be able to configure battery charging so users can maximize battery lifespan
  • must include useful connectivity for products sold today, USB-A and USB-C on both sides
  • must not package premium features together forcing unwanted upgrades of one feature to get another
  • Thumb Up 2

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

8 hours ago, aldarxt said:

If repairabiliy and modularity would be mandatory then it would drive up costs and size of laptops. 

Yes the masses are buying that thin stuff but who says that is a good thing and that we should let them? We have certain minimum standards as to how things are done in other areas and that is a good thing so I would like to see more rigid standards applied to notebook - away with disposable trash and hello modularity and repairability.

• Thumb Up 1

5 minutes ago, win32asmguy said:

A better list:

• must be able to reach and maintain advertised boost frequencies for a given ambient environment
  • must provide tool less mechanism to replace battery
  • must not excessively drain battery while sleeping or wake up until user has triggered a wake up event
  • must be able to configure battery charging so users can maximize battery lifespan
  • must include useful connectivity for products sold today, USB-A and USB-C on both sides
  • must not package premium features together forcing unwanted upgrades of one feature to get another

Very good points, especially the last one.

The problem with a GPU and CPU being socketed is a very reduced choice in even the simple area of choosing a specific screen, CPU and a GPU for a laptop and with manufacturers like Asus, Dell and HP there is also the matter of cooling.

So for example for your Asus what I see on the website is:

CPU: 12950HX only, no other HX option

GPU: only 3070Ti and 3080Ti, tough luck if you only need a 3060 or 3050

screen: QHD only, no 1080p or 4K

vapor chamber: only with 3080Ti

The MSI GT77 is also a lot of fun:

CPU: 12900HX and 12800HX - no big selection but they can at least be combined with the 3080 Ti AND the 3070 Ti which is a surprise!

GPU: only 3070Ti and 3080Ti, tough luck if you only need a 3060 or 3050

screen: UHD only, no 1080p or QHD

vapor chamber: well that is only meant for thin and light if you ask MSI....

As for tool less access I love how it is possible to open up HP top of the line workstations and swap the battery without any tools, not even a screwdriver is needed - perfect. The Clevo X170 is even better in theory with an external access to the battery but that one is rather hard to get out - not sure if I really prefer that. It should also be possible to swap a keyboard and the RAM and / or SSDs below it without having to take apart the whole laptop. I would like to have the easy first access and accessibility that we have with HP and combine it with good accessibility of the keyboard and the stuff that is below it - should not take more than a few screws to get out that keyboard.

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

It is easy to forget that once there were mobile socket chips!

If they had to Intel and AMD could bring back mobile CPUs that are socketed and even reduce the height a little but not if they are not forced to. 

As for thin bezels I think everybody is going for those now which is why it would be very cool to have a P870 or MSI GT75 form factor laptop with a thin bezel and something like a 19" display.

Displays are really something that has degenerated with regard to size: We used to have up to 20" 16:10 and now we are reduced to a maximum size of 17.3" 16:9 or 17" 16:10. Back then tablets were 10" and now they are up to 15" - give it a year or two and they will surpass laptop screens!

thats the general problem of the industry: they dont do more with more, but rather stay the same with less.

i.e. thinner bezels could mean larger screens in the same form factor or same size screens with a smaller form factor (industry chooses latter).

• Thumb Up 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

4 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

thats the general problem of the industry: they dont do more with more, but rather stay the same with less.

i.e. thinner bezels could mean larger screens in the same form factor or same size screens with a smaller form factor (industry chooses latter).

That is true in so many areas - we used to regularly have laptops that could take up to 5 drives and some of them could even be 2.5" or optical. Now we have smaller m2 drives where it would be much easier to have at least 3 slots in the space of essentially one 2.5" drive and yet many laptops have only 2! MSI used to have a board that sat on top of a 2.5" drive that held 3 m2 form factor drive. Then then they switched to thinner and more modern all but their current top model seem to be reduced to two tiny m2 slot - ridiculous but unfortunately the new norm. 

Screen size is an excellent example and what probably many people have wondered about is the power envelope for CPU and GPU: We had laptops with SLI and it was common for them to consume up to 500W or more with two GPUs that alone would take up to 400W. Instead of now offering at least 400W for one CPU and one GPU combined we almost immediately saw a regression to a total CPU and GPU power of 325W or less for the last generation followed by an even more disappointing 250W for this generation. Same with fans and cooling: Instead of offering more silence with a given volume and level of cooling or better cooling with the same noise level we get roughly the same noise level and cooling (still very loud and hot) with a smaller form factor.

• Thumb Up 2

4 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

That is true in so many areas - we used to regularly have laptops that could take up to 5 drives and some of them could even be 2.5" or optical. Now we have smaller m2 drives where it would be much easier to have at least 3 slots in the space of essentially one 2.5" drive and yet many laptops have only 2! MSI used to have a board that sat on top of a 2.5" drive that held 3 m2 form factor drive. Then then they switched to thinner and more modern all but their current top model seem to be reduced to two tiny m2 slot - ridiculous but unfortunately the new norm. 

Screen size is an excellent example and what probably many people have wondered about is the power envelope for CPU and GPU: We had laptops with SLI and it was common for them to consume up to 500W or more with two GPUs that alone would take up to 400W. Instead of now offering at least 400W for one CPU and one GPU combined we almost immediately saw a regression to a total CPU and GPU power of 325W or less for the last generation followed by an even more disappointing 250W for this generation. Same with fans and cooling: Instead of offering more silence with a given volume and level of cooling or better cooling with the same noise level we get roughly the same noise level and cooling (still very loud and hot) with a smaller form factor.

for the 2.5 many of that has been sacrificed for bigger battery. as they are just large.  Heck the main reason why removable keyboards were put was due to lack of space to put more slots. image.thumb.png.d04aca77501b18098f82b853e9a8981b.png

Like look at this, the entire bttom is a big battery. theres no more space. And with the battery being bigger nice try. Since most laptop batteries now are 4 cell. Also hope that the cpu has enough pcie lanes with the amount of ports a laptop has.

SLI is kinda dead now so there would be no use to do so. Also add that even if they could nvidia wont let them.

Eluktronics actually said that they asked nvidia if they could raise the 3080ti over 175w with the watercooling thing. Nivida wouldn't let them. This means they are strict on power limits now. You are stuck with what nvidia allows. 

10 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

for the 2.5 many of that has been sacrificed for bigger battery. as they are just large.  Heck the main reason why removable keyboards were put was due to lack of space to put more slots. image.thumb.png.d04aca77501b18098f82b853e9a8981b.png

Like look at this, the entire bttom is a big battery. theres no more space. And with the battery being bigger nice try. Since most laptop batteries now are 4 cell. Also hope that the cpu has enough pcie lanes with the amount of ports a laptop has.

SLI is kinda dead now so there would be no use to do so. Also add that even if they could nvidia wont let them.

Eluktronics actually said that they asked nvidia if they could raise the 3080ti over 175w with the watercooling thing. Nivida wouldn't let them. This means they are strict on power limits now. You are stuck with what nvidia allows. 

yep thats reminiscent of the Clevo story where they were planning to release a 3080Ti in MXM form factor but Nvidia wouldnt let them 🙄

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

8 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

yep thats reminiscent of the Clevo story where they were planning to release a 3080Ti in MXM form factor but Nvidia wouldnt let them 🙄

Also rememebr that one difference between this gen and others is that this gen gpus have variable power modes. each gpu has a certain base wattage. Then you have ctdp and then dynamic boost. if its then hgihest base option then ctdp isnt an option. This mean oems can now tune their laptops the way they want and keep the gpu under. 

The main reason lenovo seems to be godly with their cooling especially the legion 5 pro and the 7. (the chinese units seem to have more luck on this.) Is that they use a phase change material. for some reason, any other paste seems to peform worse. Unfortunate thing is that the phase change material(PTM7950) at least for the wast gets put on few laptops, or if so, not put on properly. We mostly get normal paste. But when we do get it, man is it good.image.thumb.png.08d43f3e76db18e097a9494e43fdd64b.png

2 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

There is no more space because this is a tiny ass laptop. not sure if the total volume of this unit is even half of a Clevo P870 or MSI GT75. The other reason the batteries look so large is because they are extremely flat - no wonder as the laptop hardly is more than an inch in total height including the screen. While I I can see that 2" laptops may be considered excessive these days we have gone full retard with even flagship models hardly exceeding 7 lbs in weight and 1" in height.

As for SLI we do not need that obviously but we do still need more power for CPU and GPU than 250W max. For the HX processors it would be very helpful if total power for the CPU and GPU would be at least 325W and preferably 350W but yet we are stuck at 250W so far.

As for Nvidia I have nothing but contempt for a company that pushes and pushes the power envelope in desktops yet wallows in utter mediocrity in laptops. With a maximum power uptake of 250W there would again be a reason to invest in more and better cooling and maybe a bigger chassis but obviously for a 175W GPU this is not really necessary.

Not that hard to cool 175W so it is the same sickness that we have with kids today where everybody gets a medal and where there is no real competition any more to get significantly better than the competition.

Case in point Eluktronics: From what I heard they also wanted to work on some socketed GPU and Nvidia would not really let them do that and now it is the same with the power for the 3080 Ti. We can only hope that somebody will put pressure on Nvidia by just moving to AMD and working on some kind of MXM successor with them. Maybe then Nvidia will wake up.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

There is no more space because this is a tiny ass laptop. not sure if the total volume of this unit is even half of a Clevo P870 or MSI GT75. The other reason the batteries look so large is because they are extremely flat - no wonder as the laptop hardly is more than an inch in total height including the screen. While I I can see that 2" laptops may be considered excessive these days we have gone full retard with even flagship models hardly exceeding 7 lbs in weight and 1" in height.

As for SLI we do not need that obviously but we do still need more power for CPU and GPU than 250W max. For the HX processors it would be very helpful if total power for the CPU and GPU would be at least 325W and preferably 350W but yet we are stuck at 250W so far.

As for Nvidia I have nothing but contempt for a company that pushes and pushes the power envelope in desktops yet wallows in utter mediocrity in laptops. With a maximum power uptake of 250W there would again be a reason to invest in more and better cooling and maybe a bigger chassis but obviously for a 175W GPU this is not really necessary.

Not that hard to cool 175W so it is the same sickness that we have with kids today where everybody gets a medal and where there is no real competition any more to get significantly better than the competition.

Case in point Eluktronics: From what I heard they also wanted to work on some socketed GPU and Nvidia would not really let them do that and now it is the same with the power for the 3080 Ti. We can only hope that somebody will put pressure on Nvidia by just moving to AMD and working on some kind of MXM successor with them. Maybe then Nvidia will wake up.

Well it's a 16" laptop. And it's the laptop that I have. The gt75 battery is also smaller and uses more cells to make up for it. But more cell battery is a more expensive battery which is why 4 cells are used more.

Also getting up to more than 250w combined is not really a motivation as most games don't really push the cpu that hard. Plus neither Nvidia or amd make it mandatory to make sure it consumes a specific amount of wattage.  That's why things like the g14/z13/x16 exists.

It's not like 8th gen intrl era where many laptops were so unprepared and there were mass amounts of thermal throttling for the cpu. It took until 9th 10th or even 11th gen for oems to get them under control.

Amd main thing with their graphcics is that they are all part of the amd advantage program. Its not as strict as intel evo. With one requirement is that it is all amd cpu + gpu. Its main purpose is to promote its smart technologies. Aka Smartshift, smartaccess memory, smartAcesssGraphics(Mux but not mux), and SmartShiftEco.

(for people the main limit of what is too thick is when to the point it can't fit in an ordinary bag you can get from amazon.)

• Thumb Up 1

Ok looked at the gt77 and theres one reason why it has 4 ram slots and 4 ssd slots and the other ones dont. The legion 7 for example is a bit thicker than the gt77. 0.925 compared to 0.91 inches for the gt77. And the screen size isnt the culprit either. It's the length.  the gt77 is 2 inches longer. this allows them to push the heatsink solution all the way up the back. also add that heatipes can take much less space than vapor chamber. The gt77 is 12 inches long, while the lenovo legion 7 is 10 inches long. thats the huge major difference that makes it possible for the gt77.image.thumb.png.7a8ccca7141fb5eed41f0522931797eb.png

1 hour ago, VEGGIM said:

Ok looked at the gt77 and theres one reason why it has 4 ram slots and 4 ssd slots and the other ones dont. The legion 7 for example is a bit thicker than the gt77. 0.925 compared to 0.91 inches for the gt77. And the screen size isnt the culprit either. It's the length.  the gt77 is 2 inches longer. this allows them to push the heatsink solution all the way up the back. also add that heatipes can take much less space than vapor chamber. The gt77 is 12 inches long, while the lenovo legion 7 is 10 inches long. thats the huge major difference that makes it possible for the gt77.image.thumb.png.7a8ccca7141fb5eed41f0522931797eb.png

The GT77 is more than 1.5" wider so screen size is indeed the culprit if you will. Manufacturers have been making laptops more narrow for several generations now:

18,4" wide bezel 16:9

17.3" wide bezel 16:9

17.3" narrow bezel 16:9

16" narrow bezel 16:10 - 4" more narrow than the 18.4" units used to be and with today's narrow bezels the old 18.4 units could fit a 20" 16:10 screen!

The GT77 is also more than 2.5 inches longer/deeper than the Lenovo and it also is thicker except for the thinnest part that MSI conveniently quotes - the thickest part is probably closer to 1.5" thick. I do not think that laptops have to be that deep to hold 4 RAM sticks and 4 m2 slots - that is not a problem when one also uses the other side of the motherboard for some extra RAM and storage but then it will create a slightly thicker laptop which is a big no-no today.

As for the heat pipes taking into account that the heat pipes are in a significantly wider chassis I would estimate that they cover a similar area if not more. Not that I feel like defending the GT77 as it has shrunken down too much compared to the GT76 and GT75.

Lenovo is doing a lot of things right with their small laptops and the Legion 5 and 7 series is very competitively priced for what it offers especially with the new HX processors. They could probably be right at the top if they ever have the chance and the desire to get really serious with a bigger chassis that is also socketed and using a vapor chamber design.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

The GT77 is more than 1.5" wider so screen size is indeed the culprit if you will. Manufacturers have been making laptops more narrow for several generations now:

18,4" wide bezel 16:9

17.3" wide bezel 16:9

17.3" narrow bezel 16:9

16" narrow bezel 16:10 - 4" more narrow than the 18.4" units used to be and with today's narrow bezels the old 18.4 units could fit a 20" 16:10 screen!

The GT77 is also more than 2.5 inches longer/deeper than the Lenovo and it also is thicker except for the thinnest part that MSI conveniently quotes - the thickest part is probably closer to 1.5" thick. I do not think that laptops have to be that deep to hold 4 RAM sticks and 4 m2 slots - that is not a problem when one also uses the other side of the motherboard for some extra RAM and storage but then it will create a slightly thicker laptop which is a big no-no today.

As for the heat pipes taking into account that the heat pipes are in a significantly wider chassis I would estimate that they cover a similar area if not more. Not that I feel like defending the GT77 as it has shrunken down too much compared to the GT76 and GT75.

Lenovo is doing a lot of things right with their small laptops and the Legion 5 and 7 series is very competitively priced for what it offers especially with the new HX processors. They could probably be right at the top if they ever have the chance and the desire to get really serious with a bigger chassis that is also socketed and using a vapor chamber design.

Well all of lenovo legion 2022 laptops are trying to look a bit buiesneess like. And I kinda see it. Without the rgb the 2022 legions look like buiesneess laptops. I doubt to see Lenovo step in the dtr space. Lenovo still does mxm but it's in a weird shape cuz it coils around the fan. And it was more of done to save money so they don't have to re-create the motherboard.

19 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Times are changing. Flagship products are less overbuilt and instead target the T&L crowd. Are they higher performance? Sure, but only marginally. Performance and expansion aren't the highest priority anymore. We have more customization options for RGB lighting than we do CPU performance or fan control.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Here We Go!!! The next round of GPU Funeral!

https://wccftech.com/beware-several-used-nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-graphics-cards-with-defective-memory-modules-being-sold-after-being-abused-in-crypto-mining/

Its just a sad situation. This article focuses on Desk top GPUs, but what is the situation with MXM cant be any better!!!

• Haha 1

Clevo P870DM3-G i9-9900k-32.0GB 2667mhz-GTX 1080 SLI

Alienware M18x R2 i7-3920xm-32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000 

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 32GB DDR3-1600 RTX 3000

Alienware M17x R4 i7-3940XM 20GB DDR3-1600 P4000 120hz 3D

Precision m6700 i7-3840QM - 16.0GB DDR3 - GTX 970M 
Precision m4700 i7-3610QM-8.00GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz-K2000M

GOBOXX SLM  G2721-i7-10875H RTX 3000-32GB ddr4(Gave to my Wife)

13 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Times are changing. Flagship products are less overbuilt and instead target the T&L crowd. Are they higher performance? Sure, but only marginally. Performance and expansion aren't the highest priority anymore. We have more customization options for RGB lighting than we do CPU performance or fan control.

Maybe it is only us who see the disconnect between the aim to have a true high performance flagship and to have something thin and light? What is thin and light is also an ever moving target and we are now getting told that a laptop that has the form factor of previous 15" models is very heavy and too big, this is not going to end well.

That being said a properly implemented HX processor will be so superior by design that both single and multi core performance is better than ever and the new 3080 Ti can keep up with last generations finest which is the prema-fied Clevo X170.

21 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Its more like now, newer hardware is seeming to release at a more rapid rate. So god knows what how many generations you would have to futureproof a laptop.(futureproofing is a scam anyway.) Also intel changing sockets each gen with some exceptions make it hard. Amd with the scokets not really being changable works kinda more well with dtr's IMO.