NotebookTalk

4K/60 fps gaming at $20 per month: Nvidia GeForce Now apps on Windows and macOS can now stream games at 4K resolution at a silky 60 fps

Saw this and thought it might be interesting. It's an NBC blurb here's the link:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/4K-60-fps-gaming-at-20-per-month-Nvidia-GeForce-Now-apps-on-Windows-and-macOS-can-now-stream-games-at-4K-resolution-at-a-silky-60-fps.617467.0.html

I'm assuming there's some catch there making it not such a good deal but idk. I guess one catch is people not paying attention to the GaaS and forget about being billed every month, end up costing way more than if you just bought a system capable of that and kept it for a few years. That's the trend for everything, I think the schwab guy at WEF openly says this, and of course the ptb want that so there's definitely a thin end of the wedge going on all over. I mean I'm sure there are tiers because I can't imagine someone with a 4k screen and the equipment to stream that wouldn't just get a mid tear gpu even older one like a 2070 and turn down a few things for 4k/60 in a lot of games(==Scratch that it says 3080 tier only==). No mention of ray tracing support from the blurb either.

• Bump 1

yep, unfortunately thats the way everything is heading towards: everything as a service with recurring monthly payments and no actual real ownership of the product... not sure im a fan of that 🙄

• Thumb Up 3

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

I haven't tried streaming gaming yet but I have hard time believing that I'd be happy with it...  Unlike streaming video where the endpoint client can buffer up several seconds or minutes of video, gaming has to be real time, so there is no room for buffering.  Turnaround time from input -> transmit to data center -> run the game -> encode video output (compression artifacts!) -> send back to endpoint/client -> decode and display has to be what, 50 ms or less before you'd start noticing the lag?  And no interruptions in the data flow at all.  You'd have to have a really solid Internet connection.

• Thumb Up 3

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

All good points, yeah it definitely requires some very fast stable internet, probably metro areas only really.  Yeah I wouldn't be interested either but for gamers that have the necessary equipment already and don't want the commitment of a high level gpu cost and could jump out of the need for it within a year or so it seems a pretty decent deal.

I guess another thing is that you don't need to have a 4k screen and can just play it at what you have, for 20$ month it would take a while to pay more than what a 3080 would cost you, even a used gpu would still take months to equalize the cost. $240/year, not sure what that would get you in used or new gpus now, I would think you could get at least a 1070 which for 1080p would be fine for high, no rt of course. But no blazing internet needed either and can play any game unlike the limited selection. Maybe get it until prices drop or you find a used or deal that would negate the need for this services who knows.

As to the everything as a service model well it matters if you want to trust the ptb dictating to you in pretty much every aspect of life because that's where it will go, from history, especially modern history, this is a terrible idea. They are pretty open about their plans if you look for it and people don't seem to believe them or they're too distracted by consuming or unable to think as to where this is leading,  but enough said there.

• 3 months later...

yeah but what city doesn't have at least 50mbs internet. I live in rural alberta canada and we have 1.5 gbps internet..it doesnt cost much too get fast internet pretty much anywhere.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 8/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, ryan said:

yeah but what city doesn't have at least 50mbs internet. I live in rural alberta canada and we have 1.5 gbps internet..it doesnt cost much too get fast internet pretty much anywhere.

I know people here in Michigan who don’t have any real option other than AT&T copper (“maybe” 25 Mbps … under ideal conditions, and pitiful upload speed).  Wireless options are popping up to service people in this situation (5G and Starlink), I’m not sure how good those would be with the low latency required for cloud gaming.

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

i guess canada has better infrastructure....ironic i always thought singapore and usa was the furthest advanced

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

11 hours ago, ryan said:

i guess canada has better infrastructure....ironic i always thought singapore and usa was the furthest advanced

Here in the U.S. it all depends on where you live, the situation is different everywhere.

The main issue as I see it is that there is no competition.  In most metro areas, there is just one major (cable) provider offering high speeds.  Sometimes you have a second choice for getting wired Internet to your house but it often isn't really a choice because the speed difference is enormous (i.e. ADSL vs. cable).  Cable providers tend to carve up the map and avoid competing with each other so that they can keep prices where they want them, set arbitrary monthly data caps, and apply other anti-consumer policies that end users can't do anything but accept.  ...But at least they are offering gigabit (download) speeds in most areas these days, if you're willing to pay over $100/mo for it.

Many rural areas don't even have a cable provider so they are limited to whatever can be piped over a traditional copper phone line.  (These would be the "maybe 25 Mbps" users I was referring to in the previous post.  If you're not close to a node then it's probably more like 5-10 Mbps.)

Things are changing a bit as residential fiber rolls out to compete with cable.  Fiber providers often offer gigabit for $70-$80/mo so it is causing some market disruption for cable providers.  But that rollout is not moving fast at all and most markets don't have access to residential fiber, there is still only one fiber provider in most areas that do have it, and there is definitely no incentive for ISPs to roll fiber into rural areas.  They tend to target the most densely populated areas so that they can get the most bang for their buck when doing the rollout.

The U.S. is never at the top of lists like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

There's always stuff going on about the government giving money to ISPs to build out infrastructure in underserved areas, and then nothing really happening with that.  I'm sure there are success stories here in there but that is also something that is going nowhere fast.

I understand that some places in Europe have rules like different ISPs are (required to be) allowed to use the same physical infrastructure, so residential users can choose between multiple providers to sign up with.  That leads more quickly to higher speeds and lower prices.

• Thumb Up 2

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 2 months later...

cable vs fibre?

honestly I can get 1gbps with copper...I think it can go higher like 5gbps and up.....fibre is a game changer but who needs 10000gbps I guess it doesnt hurt. I think the game changer is latency 0.1ms latency and lower will matter for future game streaming services.

I pay 87 for unlimited home phone and 500mbps..not bad but I don't live in calgary or edmonton anymore so its kinda normal to have 1gbps pretty much everywhere here in canada unless you live in a igloo up north

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

9 hours ago, ryan said:

cable vs fibre?

honestly I can get 1gbps with copper...I think it can go higher like 5gbps and up.....fibre isn't what the game changer is..

I pay 87 for unlimited home phone and 500mbps..not bad but I don't live in calgary or edmonton anymore so its kinda normal to have 1gbps pretty much everywhere here in canada unless you live in a igloo up north

1 hour ago, Reciever said:

Fiber is absolutely a game changer, problem is many people pay for fiber but only up to the junction box, not directly to their homes.

yep, for now Fibre only brings marginal real life speed bumps, but long term its a total game changer. copper can only do so much.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

No idea. I think 1gbps is pretty good for general use, but more speed would definetly help for game downloads

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 year later...

I just subbed to 6 months of geforce now ultimate and ironically with my setup its only useful for 1080p-1440p. 4k looks awful, maybe i need to use a cable(ethernet) not sure why with a new wireless router(nighthawk 42) and wifi 6 I cant get useable image quality it just looks worse than 720p. I think if you do plan on doing 4k geforce now be warned the only option is ethernet and if you have a ton of 1080p laptops like I do it looks fantastic at 1080p

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled