NotebookTalk

P775TM1 Fans 100% and turns off

razor0601

Really strange. I take it screen is still blank?

Is the GPU and CPU getting warm on boot?

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

Boot is halted before Intel Management Engine is completely loaded.

1. First of all, make sure processor is properly seated and cooled. Reapply thermal paste if needed.

2. Reflash BIOS from the SPI interface with a clip: First erase the BIOS flash chip (U16) via a 3.3V SPI flasher (this clears NV items as well), then flash the full 8,192 KiB* image. May I recommend the P775TM1-G BIOS v 1.07.27, even if it is not latest. Ensure that there are no errors. Voltage supply of the flasher must be stable and configured at the appropriate level (3.3V), do NOT operate from battery.

3. If options 1 and 2 fail, then the entire motherboard needs to be tested to find if a semiconductor has gone faulty. The CPU can be removed and tested on another device. In practice, because JTAG is disabled on commercial devices, a new motherboard may be needed.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

2 hours ago, harkaz said:

1. First of all, make sure processor is properly seated and cooled. Reapply thermal paste if needed.

2. Reflash BIOS from the SPI interface with a clip: First erase the BIOS flash chip (U16) via a 3.3V SPI flasher (this clears NV items as well), then flash the full 8,192 KiB* image. May I recommend the P775TM1-G BIOS v 1.07.27, even if it is not latest. Ensure that there are no errors. Voltage supply of the flasher must be stable and configured at the appropriate level (3.3V), do NOT operate from battery.

3. If options 1 and 2 fail, then the entire motherboard needs to be tested to find if a semiconductor has gone faulty. The CPU can be removed and tested on another device. In practice, because JTAG is disabled on commercial devices, a new motherboard may be needed.

Now that is some solid solid advise right there. It is a shame about JTAG being disabled in commercial boards as that would help pinpoint the issue. 

Spoiler

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

3 hours ago, harkaz said:

I did that all. But I will try the .27 Bios.

The new symptoms started with the new EC Flash. So what’s better? First to flash EC or Bios? And which EC Version is recommend?

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

I see. Version 1.07.16 is appropriate for the primary EC. There is also a secondary EC (latest firmware for secondary EC is 1.07.02). I assume you programmed the primary EC. EC must be flashed first, then the BIOS (before rebooting the system), as the BIOS can be easily reflashed.

If the EC firmware is damaged, then the motherboard should be replaced, short of trying this programmer (for the primary EC chip) - not guaranteed that it will work: https://alexlaptoprepair.com/en/svod-programmer-kbc-ene-spi-i2c-mec-ite-smsc/.

There are also two JFLASH connectors (JFLASH1 and JFLASH2) that may allow programming of the 2 EC chips. Interface seems to be I2C (1 clk and 1 data lane), but I am not sure about the tools needed.

So which is the U15 EC chip? First or second? Because this is the chip I flashed.

i think it’s the second? I flashed there 1.07.16

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

That must be is the secondary EC. I see this is flashable via SPI, so you are in luck. Flash the secondary EC firmware.

The primary EC may be flashable with the controller I referred to the previous link (via the keyboard connector).

I flashed already the second EC. Before I did that the laptop starts like I said in the first post. Now after I flashed the second EC it turns on and immediately off on battery. With A/C adapter plugged in it turns on and the gpu fan starts after 1 second with 100%. But the gpu stays cold. 

Try erasing the second EC flash (U15), and flash the secondary firmware again, after padding the file (ie. adding an appropriate number of 0xFF bytes to the end of the firmware), so the file reaches the exact size of 128 KB. If this has already be done, and the BIOS has been reflashed, then the primary EC firmware must be reflashed with specialized equipment on the primary chip. If that is not cheap, the motherboard should be replaced.

EDIT: Padding with 0xFF could be preferable.

I can erase, flash and read the U15 without adding 0xFF …

so I think the first EC has to be reflashed. Do you know which is the correct EC Version for that?

• Thumb Up 1

For BIOS 1.07.27 (or later), it is EC 1.07.16

Padding may be necessary for proper execution of the firmware machine code though (even if the programmer can properly read/write/erase). I had a similar experience with Thunderbolt firmware - padding was necessary for the firmware to be properly initialized. If you take a look at the primary EC fw with a hex editor, you will notice the padding.

No, that was the wrong firmware. You need another file. Search for "2nd_EC10702.zip"

Padding. Simply put, means explicitly defining the empty space in the firmware. A firmware file that is intended for Windows/UEFI shell programming may not contain this empty space, so it must be manually added before flashing with a low-level programmer.

Padding is done in hex editor. If you need help with that, I can prepare and upload a padded file for you.

*grabs some popcorn while following this thread* keeping fingers crossed here! 🤠

• Thumb Up 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

I flashed the 2nd EC but nothing changed. So I also tried several EC versions and also the original dump. Nothing changed. So now the first EC has to be reflashed? 

So I reflashed both. Nothing changed. So how to reflash the first EC? On eBay this type of programmer is very expensive 

And a friend of mine said maybe it’s also the Intel management engine. So a clean Bios reflash is required?

Did you disable Intel ME before the issue came about?

Spoiler

13 hours ago, razor0601 said:

So I reflashed both. Nothing changed. So how to reflash the first EC? On eBay this type of programmer is very expensive 

And a friend of mine said maybe it’s also the Intel management engine. So a clean Bios reflash is required?

Yes, the 8MB BIOS.ROM from the stock Clevo BIOS should be flashed to U16. Reflashing EC1 is the last step.

JFLASH1 most likely requires tools that are part of ITE8587 firmware sources.

Note: In the past, in order to disable ME from the unlocked BIOS without a problem similar to the one you described, I have run the Clevo's meset tool first.

• Thumb Up 2

The Clevo stock Bios had I also tried. The right programmer and the needed tools to reflash the Main EC is a pain in the ass and expansive. 
But there is another option. It is possible to get a preflashed IT8587 chip via eBay. So do I only need the U44 chip? 

It might be easier to just replace the board. The ITE8587 chip (U44) must come from another P775TM1 and the firmware version should be appropriate for the BIOS version. Success is not guaranteed (resoldering may cause damage, there may be other defective components on the motherboard).

I have a technician who can flash the firmware on the chip and has the needed devices to solder a new chip. 
so he can take the EC Version from the XMG site?