NotebookTalk

Asus ROG Strix Scar 17 SE 2022 Discussion Thread

win32asmguy

5 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Yes it is pretty quiet in general. Even with the 3080Ti at 175W and 12950HX at 50W running a game. Throttlestop has everything available. XTU also supports manipulation of almost everything except memory related stuff. XTU even lets you customize the VF Curve voltage offsets.

I have heard that AMD is more efficient at lower wattages.

The Clevo can do the same but you need to be willing to spend the time to find a good CPU and ensure it has a good paste application and potentially delid as well.

Nothing formal so far, but I will say that neither machine has full Windows 10 support. The Clevo could really be a winner if it had a MUX and we had access to a shop like silicon lottery where you can buy better bin CPUs easily. I do prefer 17 inch screens but prefer FHD which the Scar does not have.

The scar also has some pretty crappy bios bugs out of the box. In order to boot linux, it has to have both USB-C ports unplugged and the thumbdrive in the bottom USB-A port or else there is not enough free memory in the first 4GB address range for the kernel to live in. So basically it is very much a "designed for Windows 11" machine.

True, but I doubt a 6900hx would get 14000-15000k cinebench by staying much quieter and/or colder. 

For the rest I'd also love a 3070ti configuration with FHD display and 64gb ram. I guess I have to keep dreaming though. 

2 hours ago, -batab- said:

True, but I doubt a 6900hx would get 14000-15000k cinebench by staying much quieter and/or colder. 

For the rest I'd also love a 3070ti configuration with FHD display and 64gb ram. I guess I have to keep dreaming though. 

If I recall there is a Lenovo Legion 7 with 6900hx and 6850m using a unified vapor chamber in the works. It should support 64GB DDR5 and would likely be able to swap in a 1920x1200 16 inch 165hz panel. The unified vapor chamber is nice because in pure CPU loads it is very overbuilt. If the Strix had a better factory LM job I am sure it would be scoring as good or better than the GT77. It is a shame that they only offer the vapor chamber on the 3080Ti config...

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

7 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

If I recall there is a Lenovo Legion 7 with 6900hx and 6850m using a unified vapor chamber in the works. It should support 64GB DDR5 and would likely be able to swap in a 1920x1200 16 inch 165hz panel. The unified vapor chamber is nice because in pure CPU loads it is very overbuilt. If the Strix had a better factory LM job I am sure it would be scoring as good or better than the GT77. It is a shame that they only offer the vapor chamber on the 3080Ti config...

That would be so nice. Even more considering the 16" display! I will take a look, even though I thing I would still prefer alder lake, especially for single threaded load cases. In the meanwhile I'll also act as if such a laptop wouldn't cost me twice as much as my actual config 😄 

By the way didn't the strix score 23400 out of the box with no undervolt? ...it's quite close to the 24100 of the MSI considering GT77 was running a -50mV so I don't see that much difference in the cooling system.

And yeah, full vapor chamber is much better in my case. Actually I don't thing it makes any sense to have two separate cooling systems since they can't dissipate more total power anyway. It might be harder to tweak game settings to achieve a good equilibrium between being GPU/CPU limited in terms of throttling but it would be the same with 2 systems (even if less evident).

EDIT: I also just noticed that the GT77 is 50mm longer than the strix. This is quite garbage honestly. It's a lot more space to cool stuff and it basically offers the same performance. The Strix has almost the same footprint as my 15.6" Clevo and yet is a 17", but the GT77 is seriously massive: not as brick-like as Alienware, but still...

EDIT2: Just looked at that Lenovo and seems amazing. Unluckily they opted for a WQXGA resolution which is non-sense to me. I think they should stick to 1920p or just go to 4k to let you downscale if needed. Anything in between makes some software fonts / icons too small (and windows rescaling just doesn't to the job right) while also extra taxing the GPU during gaming. This is such a bad habit IMO.

20 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

He got pretty lucky with the paste job if he can sustain 160W on the 12900HX. The phase change pad on the GE76 12900HK had very high core temp differentials.

Or a cherry picked unit was sent his way.

• Thumb Up 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

Interesting comparison between Asus and MSI for this generation now that Clevo has managed to screw up so badly that they went full retard with a dual Intel BGA solution.

So I like some aspects of the Asus: A vapor chamber is very nice, QHD also - for 17.3" and above that is.

But again only 3070ti and 3080ti versions and the 3070ti version will not get a vapor chamber - got to save a few bucks on that one I guess, not that it will save much if one has to support two different designs.

I also like the keyboard better than the MSI until I get to the small arrow keys that are quite ridiculous for a flagship but then don't get me started on the num pad made for hobbits on the MSI...

Not so nice: The design is a bit less business like than I would prefer. From my point of view the MSI will look more at home in a work situation once you have turned off all the bling as can be seen in the CreatorPro X17. A big downside in serving for me as a DTR would be to only have two SSD and RAM slots each, a flagship model should have 4 of those and in fact my current rig holds 4 SSDs and 4 RAM sticks which is still an option with DTR solutions from Clevo, HP and Dell and now again MSI.

So some of the added depth in the MSI is OK with me due to it having more RAM, SSD and 10% more battery capacity and it is also thinner - not that I think that thinner is great but if you make things thinner that will cost you with everything else being the same. Obviously the two added fans do not help either which again makes me wonder how having 4 fans and conventional cooling is working out for companies that have gone that route. HP, Asus and Lenovo seem to have chosen the smarter path with a vapor chamber design at least for the higher end models and only 2 fans each and isn't Dell also moving to a vapor chamber design with the 7770?

As for the cooling solutions I am surprised that MSI have not tried their hands at a vapor chamber design by now - it seems to work very well even in a thinner form factor that everybody is supposed to crave now and the cost should be no problem with the GT series. I still wouldn't be surprised if in the end factors like silicon lottery, tweakability and total power uptake will limit both the MSI and the Asus designs and not the cooling capability. Not that hard to cool only 250W of GPU and CPU combined so the question may be only which one is more quiet at given level of performance and in that area I have my money on the Asus.

• Thumb Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 2:09 AM, 1610ftw said:

Interesting comparison between Asus and MSI for this generation now that Clevo has managed to screw up so badly that they went full retard with a dual Intel BGA solution.

So I like some aspects of the Asus: A vapor chamber is very nice, QHD also - for 17.3" and above that is.

But again only 3070ti and 3080ti versions and the 3070ti version will not get a vapor chamber - got to save a few bucks on that one I guess, not that it will save much if one has to support two different designs.

I also like the keyboard better than the MSI until I get to the small arrow keys that are quite ridiculous for a flagship but then don't get me started on the num pad made for hobbits on the MSI...

Not so nice: The design is a bit less business like than I would prefer. From my point of view the MSI will look more at home in a work situation once you have turned off all the bling as can be seen in the CreatorPro X17. A big downside in serving for me as a DTR would be to only have two SSD and RAM slots each, a flagship model should have 4 of those and in fact my current rig holds 4 SSDs and 4 RAM sticks which is still an option with DTR solutions from Clevo, HP and Dell and now again MSI.

So some of the added depth in the MSI is OK with me due to it having more RAM, SSD and 10% more battery capacity and it is also thinner - not that I think that thinner is great but if you make things thinner that will cost you with everything else being the same. Obviously the two added fans do not help either which again makes me wonder how having 4 fans and conventional cooling is working out for companies that have gone that route. HP, Asus and Lenovo seem to have chosen the smarter path with a vapor chamber design at least for the higher end models and only 2 fans each and isn't Dell also moving to a vapor chamber design with the 7770?

As for the cooling solutions I am surprised that MSI have not tried their hands at a vapor chamber design by now - it seems to work very well even in a thinner form factor that everybody is supposed to crave now and the cost should be no problem with the GT series. I still wouldn't be surprised if in the end factors like silicon lottery, tweakability and total power uptake will limit both the MSI and the Asus designs and not the cooling capability. Not that hard to cool only 250W of GPU and CPU combined so the question may be only which one is more quiet at given level of performance and in that area I have my money on the Asus.

The Strix Scar 17 SE isn't too bad. The vapor chamber works well although the firmware also does not ramp up fans very quickly which also helps with noise.

I am not really interested in the GT77 even if it has more expansion capabilities. The GE76 had loud fans with a high pitched whine to them that would ramp up and down quickly, and buggy control software so setting a custom curve would not consistently work.

The Precision is interesting but we still don't know its allowed CPU limits. If anything we know it will likely be pretty quiet just like the 7760, the CAMM memory will be expensive (2000USD for 128GB if I had to guess), but it will have a better looking chassis and support for Windows 10 / Linux.

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

The Strix Scar 17 SE isn't too bad. The vapor chamber works well although the firmware also does not ramp up fans very quickly which also helps with noise.

I am not really interested in the GT77 even if it has more expansion capabilities. The GE76 had loud fans with a high pitched whine to them that would ramp up and down quickly, and buggy control software so setting a custom curve would not consistently work.

The Precision is interesting but we still don't know its allowed CPU limits. If anything we know it will likely be pretty quiet just like the 7760, the CAMM memory will be expensive (2000USD for 128GB if I had to guess), but it will have a better looking chassis and support for Windows 10 / Linux.

Not ramping up the fans quickly mostly should be seen as a good thing.

The unnecessary ramping up of fans is also something you reported from your Clevo X170 from what I remember and I did not really have that issue but I have recently witnessed it in a GE76 that indeed has nasty sounding fans. Really annoying and luckily I do not really have that with the GT72 and GT75 as long as I use Throttlestop and silent option plus the pitch of those fans is nicer

The Precision CAMM memory is a no-go for me as it would mean that I have to spend approximately 1400 extra on RAM as my current 128 GB (4 x 32) only cost about 600.

So too rich for my taste and I will probably skip this generation and wait for something that is more than three step forwards and 2.5 steps back

MSI already has introduced vapor chambers in their thin and light 16" workstation by the way so there is hope that they will also go for vapor chamber in the future for their top of the line units - hard to believe that at a cost of ca. 3500+ this cannot be part of the package of the GT77 / X17:

image.thumb.png.764d940ffa300009a18649b5ac35f259.png

On 6/20/2022 at 4:49 PM, 1610ftw said:

Not ramping up the fans quickly mostly should be seen as a good thing.

The unnecessary ramping up of fans is also something you reported from your Clevo X170 from what I remember and I did not really have that issue but I have recently witnessed it in a GE76 that indeed has nasty sounding fans. Really annoying and luckily I do not really have that with the GT72 and GT75 as long as I use Throttlestop and silent option plus the pitch of those fans is nicer

The Precision CAMM memory is a no-go for me as it would mean that I have to spend approximately 1400 extra on RAM as my current 128 GB (4 x 32) only cost about 600.

So too rich for my taste and I will probably skip this generation and wait for something that is more than three step forwards and 2.5 steps back

MSI already has introduced vapor chambers in their thin and light 16" workstation by the way so there is hope that they will also go for vapor chamber in the future for their top of the line units - hard to believe that at a cost of ca. 3500+ this cannot be part of the package of the GT77 / X17:

I do prefer slower fan ramp up. The X170KM had trouble dealing with the heat generated by the 11900K at high clock speeds. Even 1-2 core loads would send it into the 50dB range. I guess a better binned CPU might have helped things but I did not try that. Oh and I will note that new MSI machines do not work with Silent Option, the only choice is their UWP Control Center app.

As far as the Precision goes CAMM might get cheaper if we see aftermarket modules. So far I know that SK Hynix and Samsung are producing OEM CAMM modules for Dell directly using the same IC's you might find on a SODIMM. It may also help if they deliver on their promise that CAMM is superior if you can operate at 4800MT/s with 128GB capacity, while SODIMMs operate at 4000MT/s or such.

Maybe MSI just does not have as established relationship as Asus for vapor chamber manufacturing - Asus had them on G752 with 1080 mobile IIRC, over five years ago.

I also prefer slower ramp up and in fact I have never kept a laptop for longer that did too much ramping as for my use enough laptops do not do it.

Most of the time I think it is just a very bad implementation of the fan control and a poorly tuned CPU and this is also the reason that I could neither stand Dell 7740 nor Zbook 17 G5 and G7 nor any laptops where I cannot use Throttlestop.

With the X170 I probably have the good luck that the 10850K is quite well behaved and I also work with an even load on many cores instead of a high load on few which probably triggers the fans no matter how the temperatures actually are.

I am very disappointed to hear about Silent Option not working any more on MSI. It will be interesting to see how that works out on the GT77 / X17 when I hopefully will be able to test drive it at some point.

I am sure that CAMM will get cheaper but it will be a generation or two until that is the case. It is also inconvenient to upgrade CAMM as one will have to sell the CAMM one currently has and go for a very big single module instead of being able to add modules.  In the end if CAMM allows for superior performance it will probably be the future if the speed increase translates to performance gains.

Yes MSI is late to the vapor chamber party as by now Asus, Dell, HP and Lenovo seem to have high performance models with vapor chambers. Time for MSI to get with the program for their biggest and best.

On 6/20/2022 at 4:53 PM, win32asmguy said:

Saw your changed signature - did you get rid of the Asus and if so why?

4 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Saw your changed signature - did you get rid of the Asus and if so why?

Yeah, sent it back to Asus. Windows 10 driver support was not complete, and Linux had issues with running out of memory when booting and couldn't detect drives reliably if two were installed.

I want to try a Precision 7770 which is about the same price as the Asus (~3500USD) for a 12950HX / 3080Ti / 32GB / FHD config. It is probably less performance for CPU+GPU loads but it may be close for CPU only and the OS support should be much better not to mention it being much better suited for using at the office.

If only Clevo would publish a bios update for the NH55JNNQ enabling the MUX feature so I could have all displays internal and external driven by the same GPU.

• Thumb Up 2

1 hour ago, win32asmguy said:

Yeah, sent it back to Asus. Windows 10 driver support was not complete, and Linux had issues with running out of memory when booting and couldn't detect drives reliably if two were installed.

I want to try a Precision 7770 which is about the same price as the Asus (~3500USD) for a 12950HX / 3080Ti / 32GB / FHD config. It is probably less performance for CPU+GPU loads but it may be close for CPU only and the OS support should be much better not to mention it being much better suited for using at the office.

If only Clevo would publish a bios update for the NH55JNNQ enabling the MUX feature so I could have all displays internal and external driven by the same GPU.

Well at least you gave it a proper run through and looksy for comparison. What was your final take vs your NH55JNNQ? Are there any reviews up of the Precision 7770?

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

5 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

Well at least you gave it a proper run through and looksy for comparison. What was your final take vs your NH55JNNQ? Are there any reviews up of the Precision 7770?

The Strix Scar 17 SE has better performance and less noise than the NH55JNNQ. Although it is hard to find and more expensive.

No reviews on the Precision 7770 so far. It will likely have lower power limits but better build quality, expansion, and software support. I like them because they are really focused on supporting external displays. Not only does it have a MUX for the internal panel but also a second MUX for the video output ports so they can be driven by the iGPU/dGPU depending on your preference. They also sell them without any Nvidia GPU as a CTO option which makes them significantly less expensive.

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Looks like the Dell 7770 will be the best option for you. At 32GB you will also not be affected that much by their memory pricing.

It is a shame that currently Dell seems to be the only option when you want a high performance relatively modular 17" laptop with the current CPU generation.

As for the Clevo I do not think that they had any MUX functionality for many years now if you went with their desktop socket offerings.

Very stupid and unnecessary imo as these laptops cost a lot and if they cannot do it all many people will look somewhere else.

• Thumb Up 1

22 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Looks like the Dell 7770 will be the best option for you. At 32GB you will also not be affected that much by their memory pricing.

It is a shame that currently Dell seems to be the only option when you want a high performance relatively modular 17" laptop with the current CPU generation.

As for the Clevo I do not think that they had any MUX functionality for many years now if you went with their desktop socket offerings.

Very stupid and unnecessary imo as these laptops cost a lot and if they cannot do it all many people will look somewhere else.

The GE77HX is another option. Not much info about it out there but the cooling system and bottom panel has been revamped so maybe things are better in the noise department.

Clevo should have just wired the integrated panel to the Nvidia GPU if they did not want to implement the MUX. There is no reason to force users to use Optimus on something with an LGA processor and 3070Ti. What were their product managers even thinking?

18 minutes ago, win32asmguy said:

The GE77HX is another option. Not much info about it out there but the cooling system and bottom panel has been revamped so maybe things are better in the noise department.

Clevo should have just wired the integrated panel to the Nvidia GPU if they did not want to implement the MUX. There is no reason to force users to use Optimus on something with an LGA processor and 3070Ti. What were their product managers even thinking?

I was not counting the GE77HX as it is BGA for both CPU and GPU while I expect the 7770 to have the typical DGFF graphics card which is better than nothing.

Here is the cooling solution, not sure if it was changed::

image.png.c3a656d263cb6f97c6deb85ebf646230.png

more pics:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE77-HX-12UX/Overview

Did you consider Eluktronics back when you got the GE76?

They look interesting, especially now that they are working with Prema.

Not for you at the moment as they do not have the HX processors but possibly in the future.

As for your Clevo nothing surprises me any more with them, they just seem to be losing more ground to Tongfang / Uniwill with each generation and they make a lot of bad decisions in designing their laptops.

5 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

I was not counting the GE77HX as it is BGA for both CPU and GPU while I expect the 7770 to have the typical DGFF graphics card which is better than nothing.

Here is the cooling solution, not sure if it was changed::

image.png.c3a656d263cb6f97c6deb85ebf646230.png

more pics:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE77-HX-12UX/Overview

Did you consider Eluktronics back when you got the GE76?

They look interesting, especially now that they are working with Prema.

Not for you at the moment as they do not have the HX processors but possibly in the future.

As for your Clevo nothing surprises me any more with them, they just seem to be losing more ground to Tongfang / Uniwill with each generation and they make a lot of bad decisions in designing their laptops.

Yes, the GE77HX is similar to the Asus Strix Scar 17 SE. BGA CPU and GPU, two SODIMM slot and two SSD slots. But the big advantage is the advanced bios and less gamer accented chassis, and useful ports on the right side. The cooling system does have an additional heatpipe compared to the GE76. Curious if the partially unlocked 12800hx can boost over 5ghz on 1-2 cores.

Eluktronics is ok. 12900h + 3080Ti costs 3200USD while 12700h + 3070Ti is a significant drop in single core performance. Another brand making forced bundling choices of CPU+GPU...

13 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Yes, the GE77HX is similar to the Asus Strix Scar 17 SE. BGA CPU and GPU, two SODIMM slot and two SSD slots. But the big advantage is the advanced bios and less gamer accented chassis, and useful ports on the right side. The cooling system does have an additional heatpipe compared to the GE76. Curious if the partially unlocked 12800hx can boost over 5ghz on 1-2 cores.

Agreed about the chassis - the Asus screams gaming even when all the RGB lighting is deactivated (if that is possible).

I will probably have a look at the GT77 at some point, hopefully long enough to be able to run some benchmarks and check out noise levels and then it will be interesting to see how the 12800HX is doing - I predict that it will again be the best bang for the buck solution, same as the 11800H in the last generation but this time with full undervolting and overclocking capability.

13 hours ago, win32asmguy said:

Eluktronics is ok. 12900h + 3080Ti costs 3200USD while 12700h + 3070Ti is a significant drop in single core performance. Another brand making forced bundling choices of CPU+GPU...

Yes I saw that, people who need top tier CPU with lesser GPU are mostly out of luck in the BGA world. Remains to be seen if they get the HX processors where the 12800HX may actually be a good option for more single core performance.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:51 PM, 1610ftw said:

Agreed about the chassis - the Asus screams gaming even when all the RGB lighting is deactivated (if that is possible).

I will probably have a look at the GT77 at some point, hopefully long enough to be able to run some benchmarks and check out noise levels and then it will be interesting to see how the 12800HX is doing - I predict that it will again be the best bang for the buck solution, same as the 11800H in the last generation but this time with full undervolting and overclocking capability.

Yes I saw that, people who need top tier CPU with lesser GPU are mostly out of luck in the BGA world. Remains to be seen if they get the HX processors where the 12800HX may actually be a good option for more single core performance.

It did look better with lighting deactivated or just set to a static color. The most annoying thing is the pattern effects with all colors which are active by default. The boot unsheathing sound also has to be deactivated. Any BIOS update resets these configurations to default. The only thing configurable in the bios is the boot sound which is a shame.

I think I would opt for the CreatorPro X17 over the GT77. If it has a membrane keyboard, less RGB and longer onsite warranty its a better configuration than the GT77. They have one with the 12900HX for 3649USD. The A3000 GPU should be a good performer at 130W with 12GB GDDR6. Still stupid they do not offer the 240hz QHD display.

I think Eluktronics could order a high end CPU paired with a mid range GPU from Tongfang, but they worry it would not sell well. So far as I know everything is ordered in a batch with minimum quantities for a volume production discount. If they do get HX it will probably be later this year, and the Prema BIOS would be a few months after that.

It did look better with lighting deactivated or just set to a static color. The most annoying thing is the pattern effects with all colors which are active by default. The boot unsheathing sound also has to be deactivated. Any BIOS update resets these configurations to default. The only thing configurable in the bios is the boot sound which is a shame.

I think I would opt for the CreatorPro X17 over the GT77. If it has a membrane keyboard, less RGB and longer onsite warranty its a better configuration than the GT77. They have one with the 12900HX for 3649USD. The A3000 GPU should be a good performer at 130W with 12GB GDDR6. Still stupid they do not offer the 240hz QHD display.

I think Eluktronics could order a high end CPU paired with a mid range GPU from Tongfang, but they worry it would not sell well. So far as I know everything is ordered in a batch with minimum quantities for a volume production discount. If they do get HX it will probably be later this year, and the Prema BIOS would be a few months after that.

I can see how the Asus would annoy you with its gaming gizmos. I did not know it was that bad - looks like MSI is really discrete compared to that.

I am not sure how different the X17 and the GT77 will really look when all lighting effects are off and I am not sure if I would prefer the mechanical or the regaular keyboard all things being equal - in any case there do seem to be pros for both and the ability to go with a smaller GPU and bigger CPU is a good move for a workstation.

I can see how Eluktronics have to be very careful what they offer and as their laptops are not really the go to for people looking for a workstation the combo of 12900HX and 3060 would probably be a bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Jarrod'sTech review of the Scar:

• Thumb Up 1

• 3 months later...

I currently have an Asus 2022 SE 17 Scar with the 12950hx. I think I will return it. The performance is nowhere near close to what Jarrod and everyone else is getting. I don't think the application of LM is correct, this processor will thermal throttle quick. With a small fan cooler it will boost to 140w and drop to 110w midway through the cinebench run and you get a mediocre 17000 on CB23. 

After a few tweaks and undervolt I was able to achieve a max of 21k on CB23 but lately it has been crashing with any undervolt.

I think it will be returned. I hate that reviewers get binned machines or better units than the retail.

The slow ramping does hurt performance for the benchmarks as it quickly heat soaks (this can be overcome by setting fans to manual before the test, but not sure if Turbo will boost higher than manual). While the chassis never gets warm which is good, the exhaust air is not hot enough. My GS77 will get way hotter on the exhaust. While it is less performance for obvious reasons, it feels like the heat exchanger is doing a better job at extracting heat.

This could have been a badass machine.

Do you have the Scar with the 3080 Ti? Only that model has the LM and vapor chamber.

There is also a possibility that the Asus was somehow cherry picked if Jarrod got it from Asus themselves but 23K is imo entirely possible with LM and a vapor chamber and not too far away from what MSI delivers in the GE67 which does not have a comparable cooling solution.

I think it is pretty annoying that there is very little individuality with regard to the ability to combine screens, cooling, CPU and GPU - why would I not want the vapor chamber with the 3070 Ti, too? When given the choice I am sure that many would like to pay a bit more for LM and the vapor chamber and avoid a laptop that runs hotter and throttles more.

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 1:00 AM, 1610ftw said:

Do you have the Scar with the 3080 Ti? Only that model has the LM and vapor chamber.

There is also a possibility that the Asus was somehow cherry picked if Jarrod got it from Asus themselves but 23K is imo entirely possible with LM and a vapor chamber and not too far away from what MSI delivers in the GE67 which does not have a comparable cooling solution.

I think it is pretty annoying that there is very little individuality with regard to the ability to combine screens, cooling, CPU and GPU - why would I not want the vapor chamber with the 3070 Ti, too? When given the choice I am sure that many would like to pay a bit more for LM and the vapor chamber and avoid a laptop that runs hotter and throttles more.

how do you get 21k on cb23? i purshaced an openbox practically new but im getting lower results than everyone else i see on youtube or posting i used xtu to undervolt -0.80 5.1 ghz armoury crate on custom all the way overclocked and i just get 18,537 on cinebench and 14,205 on 3dmark andi do have the 3080 ti with 2k screen