NotebookTalk

Nvidia Lovelace AD102 RTX 4090 to have 800W power limit, Laptop variants tamed at 175 W

KING19

11 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

I'm actually wondering why clevo never goes to amd for gpus. It seems like they seem to avoid amd like the plague.

not sure if AMD would have the manpower and budget to support mxm gpus for such a niche market (with everything basically being bga at this point). but yeah, would be nice thing to see! all AMD DTR with Zen 4 desktop cpu and MXM RDNA3 gpu, anyone? 😁

• Thumb Up 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

8 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

not sure if AMD would have the manpower and budget to support mxm gpus for such a niche market (with everything basically being bga at this point). but yeah, would be nice thing to see! all AMD DTR with Zen 4 desktop cpu and MXM RDNA3 gpu, anyone? 😁

Considering AMD's marketing for mobile is efficiency and high battery for its all amd thing that's unlikely. Unless they made some custom direct die version of desktop cpus that supported said features like smartshift. Oh wait, that's literally what amd and intel were doing way early on cuz mobile chips had their own sockets.

Both Nvidia and AMD would probably be best off to just give other companies the ability to build an MXM successor with desktop chips. Just do the work once for an MXM successor that COULD sustain a reasonable amount of power and let the manufacturers bother with most of the issues that come with putting this into laptop. With a new design and advances in cooling technology sustaining up to 300W should be doable and possibly more. Obviously this will be too much for any of today's laptops but the idea is to have some leeway for beefier and smarter designs - one can always go lower.

Not sure if any of this will happen, but maybe we will at least see a return to more power in the BGA world and being able to add several generations of CPU to that will be better than nothing if one needs / wants a mobile solution.

As for AMD touting efficiency there is always room for that with a proper iGPU/dGPU switch - does the trick every time and gives us the best of both worlds with maximum performance when connected to power and maximum battery life on the go. I also see people using a mobile battery that can recharge laptops over USB-C - support that, too and it will be much easier to get a days work even out of a big DTR when on the go.

4 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Both Nvidia and AMD would probably best off to just give other companies the ability to build an MXM successor with desktop chips. Just do the work once for an MXM successor that COULD sustain a reasonable amount of power and let the manufacturers bother with most of the issues that come with putting this into laptop. With a new design and advances in cooling technology sustaining up to 300W should be doable and possibly more. Obviously this will be too much for any of today's laptops but the idea is to have some leeway for beefier and smarter designs - one can always go lower.

Not sure if any of this will happen, but maybe we will at least see a return to more power in the BGA world and being able to add several generations of CPU to that will be better than nothing if one needs / wants a mobile solution.

As for AMD touting efficiency there is always room for that with a proper iGPU/dGPU switch - does the trick every time and gives us the best of both worlds with maximum performance when connected to power and maximum battery life on the go. I also see people using a mobile battery that can recharge laptops over USB-C - support that, too and it will be much easier to get a days work even out of a big DTR when on the go.

The issue is space. I think desktop gpus have much more transistors and other stuff on the surface area. Or sometimes it just doesn't allow it. For example it'd be hard to put any rear io with an MXM. And it's something modern laptops are starting to do if there's space. Clevo did it by placing the gou towards the bottom. Thing is for space many oems will put the cpu and gpu in the same area.

Also are we talking about combined or just for the gpu alone.

6 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Both Nvidia and AMD would probably best off to just give other companies the ability to build an MXM successor with desktop chips.

2 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

The issue is space. I think desktop gpus have much more transistors and other stuff on the surface area.

Dell Precision 7770 GeForce RTX 3080 Ti looks like this.

y4mO72CpMq2a9fXVF40xzWuRrM1ix4xZkybpvZ_q

If Dell can make a separate discrete card, I don't know why other manufacturers cannot (be it MXM or otherwise).  NVIDIA supplies the GPU chip/die and the manufacturers slap it onto the card (or right on the motherboard as the case may be).  But I don't know the ins and outs of negotiations between NVIDIA and OEMs for the chips.

@VEGGIM is right regarding space.  This is a 17" system.  Fans occupy the "empty" top left spot.  There's not much room to make the PCBs bigger.  You could get a little bit more board space by reducing the number of NVMe drives (which most gaming systems are doing with only 2× NVMe drive slots).  Even though it has a GA103S GPU chip in there, there is not that much room for more VRMs so you're not going to get 200W+ power out of it.

GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (desktop, 350W) looks like this.  To use it in a laptop, the cooling system would have to be much larger, plus the extra space on the board for VRMs would mean either making the laptop quite large or having to compromise the design in other ways.

23-1080.d642410a.jpg

If NVIDIA's 175W limit for laptop chips is an issue, I wonder if it would be possible for OEMs to just throw a desktop chip in there, similar to how you are still seeing desktop CPUs in some of the biggest systems.  Anyway, regardless, it still seems to me that the issue is still more that the market for this type of powerful laptop is simply not there.  They could be built but if only 202 people buy them then there's no way to make it financially viable.

Other users have mentioned that the performance gap between desktops and laptops with regards to graphics will probably continue to widen as the generations go on, and I think that this will certainly be the case as long as NVIDIA is driving the power limit up.  I don't take this as a negative.  Desktops should be performing better than laptops given how much extra space they have for cooling potential.  If anything, this is bringing the desktop form factor up to its performance potential which has been largely ignored for decades.

• Thumb Up 2

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

If Dell can make a separate discrete card, I don't know why other manufacturers cannot (be it MXM or otherwise).  NVIDIA supplies the GPU chip/die and the manufacturers slap it onto the card (or right on the motherboard as the case may be).  But I don't know the ins and outs of negotiations between NVIDIA and OEMs for the chips.

@VEGGIM is right regarding space.  This is a 17" system.  Fans occupy the "empty" top left spot.  There's not much room to make the PCBs bigger.  You could get a little bit more board space by reducing the number of NVMe drives (which most gaming systems are doing with only 2× NVMe drive slots).  Even though it has a GA103S GPU chip in there, there is not that much room for more VRMs so you're not going to get 200W+ power out of it.

well yeah, in some cases the IO itself can interfere since io is now being put on the back of the laptop because there is more space there.  example is this. image.png.0c3a91bc317b417ea38ed4ab9d7c4f68.png

The p15 and p17 mxm gpu is horizontal not verticalits done like that so the gpu card doesnt dig in to the top io.image.thumb.png.8615f3bdd32490a9ffb4e66efa3e9432.png

So yes it is possible but if there a design constraint or something blocking it, the shape can change from the standard.

And remember. the p15 having mxm was more of a way to save money in manufacturing. as you can make the same mobo and not worry about the gpu.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (desktop, 350W) looks like this.  To use it in a laptop, the cooling system would have to be much larger, plus the extra space on the board for VRMs would mean either making the laptop quite large or having to compromise the design in other ways.

23-1080.d642410a.jpg

If NVIDIA's 175W limit for laptop chips is an issue, I wonder if it would be possible for OEMs to just throw a desktop chip in there, similar to how you are still seeing desktop CPUs in some of the biggest systems.  Anyway, regardless, it still seems to me that the issue is still more that the market for this type of powerful laptop is simply not there.  They could be built but if only 202 people buy them then there's no way to make it financially viable.

Other users have mentioned that the performance gap between desktops and laptops with regards to graphics will probably continue to widen as the generations go on, and I think that this will certainly be the case as long as NVIDIA is driving the power limit up.  I don't take this as a negative.  Desktops should be performing better than laptops given how much extra space they have for cooling potential.  If anything, this is bringing the desktop form factor up to its performance potential which has been largely ignored for decades.

wait, there actually is a "3080 Ti" socketable mobile gpu? really?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

8 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

And remember. the p15 having mxm was more of a way to save money in manufacturing. as you can make the same mobo and not worry about the gpu.

Yes, that is the same reason Dell is doing their DGFF cards.  You can make the mobo and GPU card separately.  (Also it removes any limit on which CPU and GPU combo you can select.)  ...Not really sure if anyone is taking this approach outside of the mobile workstation space.

7 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

wait, there actually is a "3080 Ti" socketable mobile gpu? really?

Yes, Precision 7670/7770 are launching within the next few days/weeks with "socketable" dGPU (in the sense that the GPU card is separate from the motherboard), with GeForce RTX 3080 Ti as a "semi-hidden" option (only available through a sales rep, not through the web site) in addition to NVIDIA's slate of Ampere refresh pro GPUs:

Spoiler

image.png

There is limited utility for upgrades if you start out with a top GPU.  Dell normally changes up the design a little bit each generation, so cross-generation upgrades don't work out.  There was a viable Pascal->Turing upgrade option with the 2018 Precision 7X30 systems though.  There's a chance that next year's GPUs can go in this year's systems because they keep the same chassis, which is likely.  Still... the GPU cards are hard to find and expensive aftermarket.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

38 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

There is limited utility for upgrades if you start out with a top GPU.  Dell normally changes up the design a little bit each generation, so cross-generation upgrades don't work out.  There was a working Pascal->Turing upgrade option with the 2018 Precision 7X30 systems though.  There's a chance that next year's GPUs can go in this year's systems because they keep the same chassis, which is likely.  Still... the GPU cards are hard to find and expensive aftermarket.

The underlined portion is kinda why mxm kinda died out. The cards weren't really officially sold. So prices were everywhere. Also add that some cards needed inf modding due to vendor id locking which 99% of general users wouldn't know how to do nor look up. Many expect it to just work out of the box with tuning out of the equation. Many would just return it and leave a bad review on how something didn't work. Thats the risk with tunability, someone is going to mess it up and can cause a false review due to ignorance. 

55 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

Yes, that is the same reason Dell is doing their DGFF cards.  You can make the mobo and GPU card separately.  (Also it removes any limit on which CPU and GPU combo you can select.)  ...Not really sure if anyone is taking this approach outside of the mobile workstation space.

Yes, Precision 7670/7770 are launching within the next few days/weeks with "socketable" dGPU (in the sense that the GPU card is separate from the motherboard), with GeForce RTX 3080 Ti as a "semi-hidden" option (only available through a sales rep, not through the web site) in addition to NVIDIA's slate of Ampere refresh pro GPUs:

Hide contents

image.png

There is limited utility for upgrades if you start out with a top GPU.  Dell normally changes up the design a little bit each generation, so cross-generation upgrades don't work out.  There was a working Pascal->Turing upgrade option with the 2018 Precision 7X30 systems though.  There's a chance that next year's GPUs can go in this year's systems because they keep the same chassis, which is likely.  Still... the GPU cards are hard to find and expensive aftermarket.

are you sure thats an actual 3080 Ti card and not an A5500 "rebadged"? cuz the specs would be identical...

48 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

are you sure thats an actual 3080 Ti card and not an A5500 "rebadged"? cuz the specs would be identical...

Right, identical specs to A5500, but it's a 3080 Ti.  It costs about $800 less than A5500.  It misses out on ECC memory and Quadro-specific features (wireframing, double-sided polygons, ...) and builds with the GeForce GPU are not ISV certified.  It might perform slightly better in games due to less power budget being used by the ECC memory (not yet confirmed by benchmarks).  It is treated like a GeForce GPU for the purposes of driver support as well.  I've rooted around in the latest NVIDIA driver INF files, looking specifically at entries with the Precision 7670 and 7770 subsystem ID, and can confirm that it is supported in the latest "game ready" and "studio" drivers but not the "enterprise" drivers (which do support the 7670/7770 pro GPUs, RTX A5500 and company).

Not an entirely new thing for Dell, they also offered a "semi-hidden" 3080 (not-Ti) in last year's Precision 7560/7760 systems.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

24 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

Right, identical specs to A5500, but it's a 3080 Ti.  It costs about $800 less than A5500.  It misses out on ECC memory and Quadro-specific features (wireframing, double-sided polygons, ...) and builds with the GeForce GPU are not ISV certified.  It might perform slightly better in games due to less power budget being used by the ECC memory (not yet confirmed by benchmarks).  It is treated like a GeForce GPU for the purposes of driver support as well.  I've rooted around in the latest NVIDIA driver INF files, looking specifically at entries with the Precision 7670 and 7770 subsystem ID, and can confirm that it is supported in the latest "game ready" and "studio" drivers but not the "enterprise" drivers (which do support the 7670/7770 pro GPUs, RTX A5500 and company).

Not an entirely new thing for Dell, they also offered a "semi-hidden" 3080 (not-Ti) in last year's Precision 7560/7760 systems.

interesting info, thx for the confirm. that previous 3080 is nothing special since other vendors also offer those in socketable format. however, its weird that nvidia blocked clevo from bringing a 3080 ti mxm to market while they allowed Dell to do such... i imagine it could have smth to do with the crazy non standard form factor specific to a single laptop model....

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

interesting info, thx for the confirm. that previous 3080 is nothing special since other vendors also offer those in socketable format. however, its weird that nvidia blocked clevo from bringing a 3080 ti mxm to market while they allowed Dell to do such... i imagine it could have smth to do with the crazy non standard form factor specific to a single laptop model....

Because its a workstation. Workstations mxms see kinda sensible cuz workstation/buisness laptops get used for a long time. Gaming laptops are another exception that doesnt fit.

• Thumb Up 1

1 hour ago, VEGGIM said:

Because its a workstation. Workstations mxms see kinda sensible cuz workstation/buisness laptops get used for a long time.

Is that really how it is?  😕

My workplace refreshes my workstation every three years, but my personal laptop is almost ten years old...

Seems like most larger businesses (the main target audience for mobile workstations) would have similar refresh cycles of 3-5 years.  (And they wouldn't be trying to drop in unsupported GPU upgrades.)

That said, these days, a "workstation" is the only type of laptop that I would consider even for personal use.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

15 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Hide contents

image.png

There is limited utility for upgrades if you start out with a top GPU.  Dell normally changes up the design a little bit each generation, so cross-generation upgrades don't work out.  There was a viable Pascal->Turing upgrade option with the 2018 Precision 7X30 systems though.  There's a chance that next year's GPUs can go in this year's systems because they keep the same chassis, which is likely.  Still... the GPU cards are hard to find and expensive aftermarket.

Very interesting!

As for the space we used to have about 20 to 40% more "real estate" in previous generation laptops and the smartest thing for a new design might be to make the connector to the board longer and then to vary the depth of the card depending on how much power it consumes and that would then help to increase the surface area which in itself would by design favor bigger machines or at least more space allotted to the GPU.

In any case I agree with you that it would be possible to do it and I am sure that engineers have thought it through in some form or another but there would have to be a willingness in the industry to go forward with it.

If it happens it may be that it is driven by workstations as manufacturers like to offer a wide variety of 4, 5 or even more graphic options and that is a lot more difficult with a soldered GPU.

As for a socketed card being of less use when it is proprietary and not ported over to the next generation there are still benefits to be had:

lower repair prices when the card breaks

possibility of the end user "repairing" a broken socketed card either by only sending in that card or exchanging it is a lot higher

smaller cheaper cards can be upgraded later

a much bigger selection of models and builds of a certain model to choose from due to the modularity

A good example of not having a choice would be the latest ROG Strix scar where to get the biggest CPU one also has to get the biggest GPU. Also there is no choice below the 3070 Ti at all whereas in a socketed system like the Dell 7760 there would have been choices like pairing a pretty high end CPU with a low end GPU.

3 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

Very interesting!

As for the space we used to have about 20 to 40% more "real estate" in previous generation laptops and the smartest thing for a new design might be to make the connector to the board longer and then to vary the depth of the card depending on how much power it consumes and that would then help to increase the surface area which in itself would by design favor bigger machines or at least more space allotted to the GPU.

I'm trying to imagine this in design but I can't at all.

4 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

I'm trying to imagine this in design but I can't at all.

It was mentioned some time ago on the previous forum that it was impractical to make the old MXM design even deeper as it would lead to problems of the distance between some parts on the boards to the connectors being too long. So if one needs more real estate with the same or maybe a bit lesser depth of the board the connector and the card could get wider instead to arrive at larger total area / more real estate.

With only one form factor that would mean that even entry level cards would have more total real estate than before which is not really necessary so the idea might be to have two form factors for boards - a less deep board for lower end to medium cards with less parts and a lower TDP and bandwidth and a deeper one for high end cards starting somewhere between 150 and 200W TDP. Maybe I am completely off here and things should better be done differently but in the end we need more real estate to accommodate more powerful cards of somebody decides to go that route.

On 7/4/2022 at 6:55 PM, 1610ftw said:

It was mentioned some time ago on the previous forum that it was impractical to make the old MXM design even deeper as it would lead to problems of the distance between some parts on the boards to the connectors being too long. So if one needs more real estate with the same or maybe a bit lesser depth of the board the connector and the card could get wider instead to arrive at larger total area / more real estate.

With only one form factor that would mean that even entry level cards would have more total real estate than before which is not really necessary so the idea might be to have two form factors for boards - a less deep board for lower end to medium cards with less parts and a lower TDP and bandwidth and a deeper one for high end cards starting somewhere between 150 and 200W TDP. Maybe I am completely off here and things should better be done differently but in the end we need more real estate to accommodate more powerful cards of somebody decides to go that route.

In trying to see if by less deep you mean by more lengthy or.

And I just realized something. The issue is that with that implementations. Oems would basically kill some of their own products dance it would become useless. Example legion 5 pro vs 7. 

The 7 you would get if you wanted 3080ti, all amd system, per key rgb, vapor chamber, bigger battery.

The 5 pro can be good enough even with the same design as the 2021 version. If many people just took a l7 3080 and put it into the 5p. The 7 would be linked with the only thing causing it stand is the battery.

21 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

Because its a workstation. Workstations mxms see kinda sensible cuz workstation/buisness laptops get used for a long time. Gaming laptops are another exception that doesnt fit.

This^

Gaming laptops are considered consumer based laptops no matter expensive, They dont have the same quality and durability as workstation/business laptops. OEMs always treat their business laptops a lot better especially in features, security, warranty and customability.

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

9 hours ago, KING19 said:

This^

Gaming laptops are considered consumer based laptops no matter expensive, They dont have the same quality and durability as workstation/business laptops. OEMs always treat their business laptops a lot better especially in features, security, warranty and customability.

I generally find this to be true with the classic workstation manufacturers like Dell, HP and Lenovo. Less so with Asus and MSI that also offer workstations.

In the end it is mostly cosmetics when a laptop is powerful enough to be used for both work and gaming. I am certainly not sad when I find out that they start to again offer bigger workstations but the problem is of course that workstations never were as physically big as gaming laptops that usually always would be the biggest laptops of their respective generation. Or there would be laptops like the top of the line Clevo and MSI units that were offered in both a workstation and a gaming version.

If quality is high enough I again see the biggest likelihood of more powerful laptops (relative  to desktops) returning to the market as dual purpose designs. As others have pointed out a higher performance laptops that are to some degree bigger and heavier serve a limited market. I fully agree with that so it makes sense to offer such a design as both a workstation and a gaming laptop.

On 7/3/2022 at 4:14 PM, jaybee83 said:

Another interesting piece to the story that I forgot about.

When Precision 7670/7770 was announced in April, GeForce RTX 3080 Ti was listed as one of the available GPUs.  A number of tech news outlets made note of this when writing about the announcement.  A few weeks later, Dell updated the spec sheet and removed mention of the GeForce GPU.  (See page 7 of both PDFs.)

It looks like these systems are going on sale tomorrow.  Dell is still gearing up to sell the systems with the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU as an option.  It's listed in the support material and on the driver download pagesUsers have been getting quotes with it included, but it's not listed on the web site where you can self-configure a system; you have to go through a sales rep to get it.

This is also the same as it was with last year's Precision 7560 / 7760 (with GeForce RTX 3080).  You had to go through a sales rep to get a GeForce in those systems as well.  The difference is, in last year's systems, the GeForce GPU option launched a bit late and was never publicly mentioned and you had to know to ask for it.  This time around, the GeForce GPU publicly disclosed in the initial announcement and then they attempted to remove that disclosure.

I'm not sure what's up with the GeForce being a "secret" option in the Precision laptops.  I'm wondering if it actually pressure or a requirement from NVIDIA that "workstations" only be offered with "pro-RTX" (previously "Quadro") GPUs, and Dell actually "got in trouble" so-to-speak for advertising the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti option and had to go and clean up those references as best they could.  (All speculation on my part.)  Still, there is some form of blessing from NVIDIA to include the GeForce GPU in these systems; NVIDIA has to provide the vBIOS and include the GPU+system ID in their drivers, after all...

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

I'm not sure what's up with the GeForce being a "secret" option in the Precision laptops.  I'm wondering if it actually pressure or a requirement from NVIDIA that "workstations" only be offered with "pro-RTX" (previously "Quadro") GPUs, and Dell actually "got in trouble" so-to-speak for advertising the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti option and had to go and clean up those references as best they could.  (All speculation on my part.)  Still, there is some form of blessing from NVIDIA to include the GeForce GPU in these systems; NVIDIA has to provide the vBIOS and include the GPU+system ID in their drivers, after all...

plus Nvidia has to provide support during the development of the add-in boards, with regards to layout, power requirements, cooling requirements, etc. plus deliver the chips and vRAM, of course 😛 haha

again, nice background info!

• 2 weeks later...

The editors at Notebookcheck now complains (warns buyers) about too big power adapters for laptops. 330 W AC adapters have been here the last two decades but why make a big fuss of it now? Yep, because of the Apple trend. I expect he would whine a lot more if he saw an 780W psu or our dual 330w psu setups we used for our old and nice Clevo's.

Hope the different laptop OEM'S can see it and stop making AC adapters above 250w. You don't need that for power and TDP castrated laptops. Just offer small cute adapters/USB-C adapter as they offer for their slim and thin models. "UNISEX" has to be the new norm for tomorrows tech. Maybe we then will see new types complaints but more about worse performance than we see from today's so called high end gaming laptops vs desktops? 

The MSI Raider GE67 330 W AC adapter is so fat that it's heavier than some 15-inch laptops

MSI Raider GE67 ships with a ridiculously large 330 W power brick because its Core i7-12800HX CPU is so demanding
With great power comes great responsibility and a substantial AC adapter. The GE67 sports a powerful 12th gen Core i7-12800HX CPU that's so demanding that it necessitated a ridiculously large 330 W AC adapter compared to the smaller 280 W one that shipped with the older GE66.

Yep, time have changed and laptops that fits meand need have no future. Neither now or forwards @electrosoft @jc_denton @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox

• Haha 2
  • Bump 1
  • Sad 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

The editors at Notebookcheck now complains (warns buyers) about too big power adapters for laptops. 330 W AC adapters have been here the last two decades but why make a big fuss of it now? Yep, because of the Apple trend. I expect he would whine a lot more if he saw an 780W psu or our dual 330w psu setups we used for our old and nice Clevo's.

Hope the different laptop OEM'S can see it and stop making AC adapters above 250w. You don't need that for power and TDP castrated laptops. Just offer small cute adapters/USB-C adapter as they offer for their slim and thin models. "UNISEX" has to be the new norm for tomorrows tech. Maybe we then will see new types complaints but more about worse performance than we see from today's so called high end gaming laptops vs desktops? 

The MSI Raider GE67 330 W AC adapter is so fat that it's heavier than some 15-inch laptops

MSI Raider GE67 ships with a ridiculously large 330 W power brick because its Core i7-12800HX CPU is so demanding
With great power comes great responsibility and a substantial AC adapter. The GE67 sports a powerful 12th gen Core i7-12800HX CPU that's so demanding that it necessitated a ridiculously large 330 W AC adapter compared to the smaller 280 W one that shipped with the older GE66.

Yep, time have changed and laptops that fits meand need have no future. Neither now or forwards @electrosoft @jc_denton @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox

Everything relating to turdbooks is totally retarded now and most of the reviewers whose focus is laptops are schizophrenic imbeciles that can't locate their posterior using both hands. When the majority of the sheeple are psychotic and reprobate to the point they are head over heals in love with rubbish and don't having any awareness of their own ignorance, it leaves little or no basis for hope to the minority that have retained possession of mental faculties such as common sense and ordinary intelligence.

• Thumb Up 3

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

5 hours ago, Papusan said:

image.thumb.png.c9f01779a9bbfb79124684075890a6c6.png

image.png

Considering we have 330w gan now its starting to change peoples view of things.

• Thumb Up 2