NotebookTalk

Nvidia Lovelace AD102 RTX 4090 to have 800W power limit, Laptop variants tamed at 175 W

KING19

43 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

Considering we have 330w gan now its starting to change peoples view of things.

Maybe, but people want design and slimmest possible. And the bigger power adapters is still to big and heavy. And yep, the OEMs will offer what the customers want. I don't see that we will get 330w USB-C adapers in nearest future. And the OEMs is happy to offer laptops with less need for bigger power adapters. Less performance is a nice way to push you on refreshed models. A big win for the OEM. Probably also the same for people that is hanged up in Apple design. You just can't get both.... Real performance and Apple designed power adapters.

image.png.5f9edb1dfd25c4f67548337ec15af4d7.png

image.png.76afd24fb3335a952d63a41321b5be51.png

Yep, castrate the HW's TDP and rely on Dynamic boost/Smart shift will help making nice and slim laptops and elegant and slim power adapters

Again, a big win for the OEM maxing out profits and push you on next models before time. 

My best guess forwards... People will demand thin slim and light USB-C chargers to match the laptops design. They prefer cute design over performance. 250W chargers is enough to power laptops with destroyed HW. And we both know Nvidia and the OEMs will deliver in loads.

• Thumb Up 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Maybe, but people want design and slimmest possible. And the bigger power adapters is still to big and heavy. And yep, the OEMs will offer what the customers want. I don't see that we will get 330w USB-C adapers in nearest future. And the OEMs is happy to offer laptops with less need for bigger power adapters. Less performance is a nice way to push you on refreshed models. A big win for the OEM. Probably also the same for people that is hanged up in Apple design. You just can't get both.... Real performance and Apple designed power adapters.

Yep, castrate the HW's TDP and rely on Dynamic boost/Smart shift will help making nice and slim laptops and elegant and slim power adapters

Again, a big win for the OEM maxing out profits and push you on next models before time. 

My best guess forwards... People will demand thin slim and light USB-C chargers to match the laptops design. They prefer cute design over performance. 250W chargers is enough to power laptops with destroyed HW. And we both know Nvidia and the OEMs will deliver in loads.

Well design and asthetics can sell a laptop also add that people younger and younger are getting gaming laptops and weight is a big factor to them. Heck the g14 sold so well due to that fact. 
With laptop gpus wanting for more efficiency which is what mobile gpus are basing themselves on. it's hard to get oems to just forget the efficiency game and try to pump as much power into it as possible. 

Unless you think the solution is to gatekeep gaming laptops from the general population which is impossible. It's not as easy as lets say a car because yu can limit an audience by making it manual transmission only(gr yaris/corolla is an exampe.)

TL:DR. The market speaks. what people buy tells oems what people want. It's buisness and finances 101.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Papusan said:

The editors at Notebookcheck now complains (warns buyers) about too big power adapters for laptops. 330 W AC adapters have been here the last two decades but why make a big fuss of it now? Yep, because of the Apple trend. I expect he would whine a lot more if he saw an 780W psu or our dual 330w psu setups we used for our old and nice Clevo's.

Hope the different laptop OEM'S can see it and stop making AC adapters above 250w. You don't need that for power and TDP castrated laptops. Just offer small cute adapters/USB-C adapter as they offer for their slim and thin models. "UNISEX" has to be the new norm for tomorrows tech. Maybe we then will see new types complaints but more about worse performance than we see from today's so called high end gaming laptops vs desktops? 

The MSI Raider GE67 330 W AC adapter is so fat that it's heavier than some 15-inch laptops

MSI Raider GE67 ships with a ridiculously large 330 W power brick because its Core i7-12800HX CPU is so demanding
With great power comes great responsibility and a substantial AC adapter. The GE67 sports a powerful 12th gen Core i7-12800HX CPU that's so demanding that it necessitated a ridiculously large 330 W AC adapter compared to the smaller 280 W one that shipped with the older GE66.

Yep, time have changed and laptops that fits meand need have no future. Neither now or forwards @electrosoft @jc_denton @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox

I have watched notebookcheck for years and the constant hate-mongering against anything that is a bit heavier is so annoying. A few weeks ago I called them out on it and suggested that there may be some benefit in reporting on the state of the DTR for a change or even to promote bigger and smarter machines or to inquire with manufacturers why everything in the laptop world currently seems to be going in one (thinner and lighter) direction. Of course the answer was that there was no answer - crickets.

As for power supplies I have a bunch of the big 330W bricks here for my laptop "collection" and one of the bricks has the older barrel connector that used to be in pretty much universal use at Dell and others and I have a range of 180, 240 and 330W specimens with that connector and they all work with numerous Dell, MSI and HP laptops. So when I travel with a compatible laptop I can bring any power supply I like ranging in weight (with power cable) from ca. 0.6kg/1.1lbs to ca. 1.5kg/3.3lbs.

Will be much easier to do this with laptops that get power via USB once we get the higher 240W power limit that is about to be implemented. At that point even without the infamous Eurocom power supply we would be able to deliver up to 330W via the regular power supply and we can add another 240W via USB-C and if there are two USB-C connectors with power delivery we could ramp it up to two of them and a total of 810W or 480W via UCB-C alone - problem solved.

As for that MSI GE77HX it is quite obvious that a 330W power adapter is what is needed and the bigger GE77HX even pulls up to 350W - we used to have solutions with two power bricks for that, too from the manufacturers like for example MSI but not any more I guess - just reduce power by throttling and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

Well design and asthetics can sell a laptop also add that people younger and younger are getting gaming laptops and weight is a big factor to them. Heck the g14 sold so well due to that fact. 
With laptop gpus wanting for more efficiency which is what mobile gpus are basing themselves on. it's hard to get oems to just forget the efficiency game and try to pump as much power into it as possible. 

Unless you think the solution is to gatekeep gaming laptops from the general population which is impossible. It's not as easy as lets say a car because yu can limit an audience by making it manual transmission only(gr yaris/corolla is an exampe.)

TL:DR. The market speaks. what people buy tells oems what people want. It's buisness and finances 101.

Yes most of the market wants to go into one direction but if it is because many of them are brainwashed sheep then it is not really a free decision, is it?

Nor can I decide at this point that I do not want powerful graphics when there are no really powerful graphics on offer.

I cannot even offer that as a manufacturer if I wanted and I assume that the secret Dell deal tells it all - Dell got the socketed 3080 Ti because they have some pull with Nvidia whereas Clevo did get nothing for this generation. It is no free choice when it is accompanied by massive brainwashing and backdoor dealings within the industry that prevents superior products being on offer as they are inconvenient and bad for business. Top of the line BGA books getting shown up is not good for the slim and light business model after all and could show people that not all is good in slim and light land.

23 hours ago, Papusan said:

in general, the continuous development of more efficient psus is definitely a good thing. i like seeing a new 330W model with smaller dimensions.

BUT (and this is a biggens) the unfortunate reality is that the industry nowadays only tries to do less with more instead of MORE with more.

so with a more efficient psu design u can either go smaller dimensions at same wattage OR higher wattage at same dimensions. weve got the former....but where is the latter? 🤨

• Like 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

5 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

in general, the continuous development of more efficient psus is definitely a good thing. i like seeing a new 330W model with smaller dimensions.

BUT (and this is a biggens) the unfortunate reality is that the industry nowadays only tries to do less with more instead of MORE with more.

so with a more efficient psu design u can either go smaller dimensionsat same wattage OR higher wattage at same dimensions. weve got the former....but where is the latter? 🤨

Can't go higher wattage if the chips are hardlocked. Remember, i said that the 6800m is the only one in the lineup mobile market that doesnt seem to have a wattage limits. since its shown that some have it go up to 171w. Although its hard to tell cuz in hwinfo it shows cpu + gpu power cuz smartshift.

Smartshift IMO  is better than dynamic boost due to how it communicates with the cpu due to being the same brand.

There has to be some legitimate concern for giving it a bigger powerbrick other than hurr durr lets htrow power at it. Lenovo does this but only cuz its cheaper to keep giving its legion 300w bricks. heck you can 5 legion 5 pro's with 3060s with 300w power bricks for some reason.

1 hour ago, VEGGIM said:

Can't go higher wattage if the chips are hardlocked. Remember, i said that the 6800m is the only one in the lineup mobile market that doesnt seem to have a wattage limits. since its shown that some have it go up to 171w. Although its hard to tell cuz in hwinfo it shows cpu + gpu power cuz smartshift.

Smartshift IMO  is better than dynamic boost due to how it communicates with the cpu due to being the same brand.

There has to be some legitimate concern for giving it a bigger powerbrick other than hurr durr lets htrow power at it. Lenovo does this but only cuz its cheaper to keep giving its legion 300w bricks. heck you can 5 legion 5 pro's with 3060s with 300w power bricks for some reason.

just throw a desktop cpu in the machine, couple it with a proper MXM card with beefy power delivery and dont define an interchangeable hardlock on cpu+gpu wattage. let both go as high as temps let you.

voila, u got urself a real DTR that could easily use a 660W psu at the same dimensions of the previous 330W 😛😉 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

18 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

just throw a desktop cpu in the machine, couple it with a proper MXM card with beefy power delivery and dont define an interchangeable hardlock on cpu+gpu wattage. let both go as high as temps let you.

voila, u got urself a real DTR that could easily use a 660W psu at the same dimensions of the previous 330W 😛😉 

Well the DTR market it kinda makes sense cuz dtr is a nieche market. That itself is an reason. Laptops that arent made to be dtr's thats harder. Also remember that smartshift can be disabled the same way that dynamic boost can. 

Ryzen temp limit is actually high, around 100-105c. For Nvidia, its around 87C. Also there is no way you can throw a desktop chip onto an mxm, its impossible. the only thing you get near to that if some company did it for miners.  
Lets add that thermal density is shrinking. its the reason why amd is hotter than intel. The more closer in nm the semiconductors are the more hot it is.

We are also remembering that the 3000 series arent 1:1 specs like 2k series was. Plus people would undervolt gpus cuz thats being seen as a peformance beneift and it actually does.

34 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

Well the DTR market it kinda makes sense cuz dtr is a nieche market. That itself is an reason. Laptops that arent made to be dtr's thats harder. Also remember that smartshift can be disabled the same way that dynamic boost can. 

Ryzen temp limit is actually high, around 100-105c. For Nvidia, its around 87C. Also there is no way you can throw a desktop chip onto an mxm, its impossible. the only thing you get near to that if some company did it for miners.  
Lets add that thermal density is shrinking. its the reason why amd is hotter than intel. The more closer in nm the semiconductors are the more hot it is.

We are also remembering that the 3000 series arent 1:1 specs like 2k series was. Plus people would undervolt gpus cuz thats being seen as a peformance beneift and it actually does.

i was referring to a desktop cpu coupled with an MXM gpu. not a desktop chip on an mxm board 😄 although Khenglish has shown that even that is actually possible haha

On 7/16/2022 at 10:47 PM, jaybee83 said:

i was referring to a desktop cpu coupled with an MXM gpu. not a desktop chip on an mxm board 😄 although Khenglish has shown that even that is actually possible haha

i was gonna say cuz 3080ti max is 175w. even if we wnt up like 175+150 cpu combined. thats still around 325. so an oem would just have to use 350. like the x170 stock maxxed out only went up to 368.  the p870 needed a huge psu due to sli and the desktop k cpus. The reason why psu's do have headroom is because wattage spikes will happen.

Ok so i found something wierd when it comes to modularity. It's a laptop but its a Nuc compute board.
image.thumb.png.55b825781ca60244494922526048a69c.pngimage.thumb.png.6b4ed5e62b94257aec5499eeb7a14ffd.png

Think of it like a cpu board but with its own heatsink. Kinda framework but not.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, Papusan said:

I am not sure I entirely trust those smaller power adapters yet. The smallest and lightest 240W version that I have seen was from HP and it got VERY hot even with moderate power draw, much hotter than an older and bigger 240W adapter from MSI that barely gets hot. Bottom line is some manufacturers seem to overdo it so smaller does mean smaller but also hotter which is probably not what most people would be looking for.

It would have helped if power connectors of the adapter and power delivery had been standardized many years ago - much easier for several companies to give us good power adapters in different output classes but with the ever changing connectors that companies come up with this is just not feasible. If I bought an MSI today it would mean that I would have three different power connectors between the three laptop generations I bought over the years with zero interchangeability and it is probably not that much different for other manufacturers with the possible exception of Dell.

• Thumb Up 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, 1610ftw said:

Yes most of the market wants to go into one direction but if it is because many of them are brainwashed sheep then it is not really a free decision, is it?

I cannot even offer that as a manufacturer if I wanted and I assume that the secret Dell deal tells it all - Dell got the socketed 3080 Ti because they have some pull with Nvidia whereas Clevo did get nothing for this generation. It is no free choice when it is accompanied by massive brainwashing and backdoor dealings within the industry that prevents superior products being on offer as they are inconvenient and bad for business. Top of the line BGA books getting shown up is not good for the slim and light business model after all and could show people that not all is good in slim and light land.

Dell have never offered socketed 3080 Ti mobile graphics cards. Same also for for 3080 mobile. Their last try was the DEll proprietary 2080 super graphics cards for their failed flagship Area-51M

On 7/16/2022 at 9:58 AM, 1610ftw said:

I have watched notebookcheck for years and the constant hate-mongering against anything that is a bit heavier is so annoying. A few weeks ago I called them out on it and suggested that there may be some benefit in reporting on the state of the DTR for a change or even to promote bigger and smarter machines or to inquire with manufacturers why everything in the laptop world currently seems to be going in one (thinner and lighter) direction. Of course the answer was that there was no answer - crickets.

Will be much easier to do this with laptops that get power via USB once we get the higher 240W power limit that is about to be implemented. At that point even without the infamous Eurocom power supply we would be able to deliver up to 330W via the regular power supply and we can add another 240W via USB-C and if there are two USB-C connectors with power delivery we could ramp it up to two of them and a total of 810W or 480W via UCB-C alone - problem solved.

As for that MSI GE77HX it is quite obvious that a 330W power adapter is what is needed and the bigger GE77HX even pulls up to 350W - we used to have solutions with two power bricks for that, too from the manufacturers like for example MSI but not any more I guess - just reduce power by throttling and you'll be fine.

Remember all laptop OEMs remove more and more I/O ports. Add in more ports for power be it USB-C for more power won't happen. Just look at the Alienwares.... Dongles all the way to replace real I/O ports.

And the USB-C adapters is a lot slower to charge the battery. + this type chargers isn't as reliable as real old fashion 330W power adapters. No in hell small and cute USB-C chargers can do the same as a real 330W Delta PSU.

14 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

All graphics cards have power spikes. And software monitoring isn't reliable. As etc.... 3090 Ti power spikes (load peaks) can be as high as 50% above TDP.

• Thumb Up 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

6 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Dell have never offered socketed 3080 Ti mobile graphics cards. Same also for for 3080 mobile. Their last try was the DEll proprietary 2080 super graphics cards for their failed flagship Area-51M

You can apparently get at least the Dell 7770 with the 3080 Ti as a special order. No idea if that was also possible with the 3080 and the 7760 but it seems to be a special deal with Nvidia that they are not very public about, maybe also in order to not publicly piss off other manufacturers (Clevo) that also would have liked to offer such a card. You can read more about it in the 7x70 thread:

7 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Remember all laptop OEMs remove more and more I/O ports. Add in more ports for power be it USB-C for more power won't happen. Just look at the Alienwares.... Dongles all the way to replace real I/O ports.

All graphics cards have power spikes. And software monitoring isn't reliable. As etc.... 3090 (ti) power spikes can be as high as 50% above TDP.

Less connectors seems to be a trend for years now and it has been years that I saw an array of audio connectors that used to be the norm on older MSI units and to a lesser degree on Clevo units including an optical digital output, same with standard USB connectors that are dying out a lot faster than the devices that still need the connector, used to be up to 5 or 6 and now we can be happy if we get 3. Docking stations used to be an option but now they are a necessity or as an alternative we can use hubs or dongles that often do not work as well as a direct connection or necessitate some testing and trying out to find a good solution that may work well with one manufacturer and less so with another.

Good point about the spikes, not sure how much of a thing they are in laptops but it cannot hurt to be able to get a bigger power supply just in case - only that we can't except if we would be willing to import that Eurocom power supply that is not really universal and has its own issues.

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

Precision 7770 has 3080 Ti option, and Precision 7760 has 3080 option.  (I have Precision 7770 + 3080 Ti arriving this week.)  See:

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

5 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

You can apparently get at least the Dell 7770 with the 3080 Ti as a special order. No idea if that was also possible with the 3080 and the 7760 but it seems to be a special deal with Nvidia that they are not very public about, maybe also in order to not publicly piss off other manufacturers (Clevo) that also would have liked to offer such a card. You can read more about it in the 7x70 thread:

Less connectors seems to be a trend for years now and it has been years that I saw an array of audio connectors that used to be the norm on older MSI units and to a lesser degree on Clevo units including an optical digital output, same with standard USB connectors that are dying out a lot faster than the devices that still need the connector, used to be up to 5 or 6 and now we can be happy if we get 3. Docking stations used to be an option but now they are a necessity or as an alternative we can use hubs or dongles that often do not work as well as a direct connection or necessitate some testing and trying out to find a good solution that may work well with one manufacturer and less so with another.

Good point about the spikes, not sure how much of a thing they are in laptops but it cannot hurt to be able to get a bigger power supply just in case - only that we can't except if we would be willing to import that Eurocom power supply that is not really universal and has its own issues.

This is kinda due to lanes. The more amount of faster ports means it uses a bit more lanes now. Especially with USB-C. 

Usb-c is starting to get more proffered especially with laws making at least 1 usbc connection mandatory for devices.

2 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

This is kinda due to lanes. The more amount of faster ports means it uses a bit more lanes now. Especially with USB-C. 

Usb-c is starting to get more proffered especially with laws making at least 1 usbc connection mandatory for devices.

Not sure what you mean with this is due to lanes but if you mean the lack of ports then the new HX chips have plenty of lanes that should support at least the same number of ports as before and not less.

Making power delivery via USB-C mandatory would probably be a benefit but it should not be an excuse for the higher end chipsets with more lanes than ever before.

50 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Not sure what you mean with this is due to lanes but if you mean the lack of ports then the new HX chips have plenty of lanes that should support at least the same number of ports as before and not less.

Making power delivery via USB-C mandatory would probably be a benefit but it should not be an excuse for the higher end chipsets with more lanes than ever before.

Forgot yo say that usbc is superior and also can do functions like display port and other stuff that having things like mini DP and other stuff kind of not really useful. The only reason why alot of peripherals are still usb-a is because the majority of devices are still usb-a and also that usb-a is cheaper than usb-c to usb-c.

Also, what kind of ports are we talking about. Just saying ports is vague. Cus there are tons of ports out there. 

19 minutes ago, VEGGIM said:

Forgot yo say that usbc is superior and also can do functions like display port and other stuff that having things like mini DP and other stuff kind of not really useful. The only reason why alot of peripherals are still usb-a is because the majority of devices are still usb-a and also that usb-a is cheaper than usb-c to usb-c.

Also, what kind of ports are we talking about. Just saying ports is vague. Cus there are tons of ports out there. 

USB-C is still only one port if I don't have a hub so when it is taken for display port duties I cannot use it for charging or anything else any more.

I used to use these ports on my MSI GT72:

power

ethernet

analog audio stereo

headphone or digital optical output

mini display port

HDMI 

display port via thunderbolt

5 x USB-A

SD-card

That is 13 or 14 ports, good luck finding that today in devices that mostly come with a total of maybe 9 or 10 ports if at all despite having a lot more PCI lanes than before.

9 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

USB-C is still only one port if I don't have a hub so when it is taken for display port duties I cannot use it for charging or anything else any more.

I used to use these ports on my MSI GT72:

power

ethernet

analog audio stereo

headphone or digital optical output

mini display port

HDMI 

display port via thunderbolt

5 x USB-A

SD-card

That is 13 or 14 ports, good luck finding that today in devices that mostly come with a total of maybe 9 or 10 ports if at all despite having a lot more PCI lanes than before.

Well rn for example the legion 5 pro has 4 usb A

2 usb-c with display port.

1 usb-c with thunderbolt 4

Ethernet.

3.5mm jack

Power is also there along with a camera kill switch slider.

Yhe one thing that can dictate how much ports or what ports a laptop will have is how much people will use said ports.

Port's aren't standardized in laptops. Actually it can't. Manufacturers follow different design philosophies.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, Papusan said:

The editors at Notebookcheck now complains (warns buyers) about too big power adapters for laptops. 330 W AC adapters have been here the last two decades but why make a big fuss of it now? Yep, because of the Apple trend. I expect he would whine a lot more if he saw an 780W psu or our dual 330w psu setups we used for our old and nice Clevo's.

Hope the different laptop OEM'S can see it and stop making AC adapters above 250w. You don't need that for power and TDP castrated laptops. Just offer small cute adapters/USB-C adapter as they offer for their slim and thin models. "UNISEX" has to be the new norm for tomorrows tech. Maybe we then will see new types complaints but more about worse performance than we see from today's so called high end gaming laptops vs desktops? 

The MSI Raider GE67 330 W AC adapter is so fat that it's heavier than some 15-inch laptops

MSI Raider GE67 ships with a ridiculously large 330 W power brick because its Core i7-12800HX CPU is so demanding
With great power comes great responsibility and a substantial AC adapter. The GE67 sports a powerful 12th gen Core i7-12800HX CPU that's so demanding that it necessitated a ridiculously large 330 W AC adapter compared to the smaller 280 W one that shipped with the older GE66.

Yep, time have changed and laptops that fits meand need have no future. Neither now or forwards @electrosoft @jc_denton @Ashtrix @Mr. Fox

Dont most gaming laptops supports USB-C charging now?. With that you can easily leave the large power brick at home. You may cant play games on it but at least you can charge it away from home. Personally i dont understand complaints about the large power bricks, You're buying a gaming laptop which arent exactly portable and if people want true portability a non gaming laptop is the best choice as Thin and Light as they want!. Companies need to stop being like Apple already!.

• Bump 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

3 hours ago, VEGGIM said:

OK one honest question. Is it actually better that DTR'S are basically the only laptops that should exist? Basically gatekeeping the gaming laptop market?

Not at all - it is just that they should be allowed to exist in the first place.  Currently we do not have one fully socketed DTR and the three highest performing 3080Ti machines from Eluktronics, MSI and Asus are BGA only with a maximum weight of ca. 7lbs and a maximum power uptake of 330W which just isn't enough these days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1610ftw said:

Not at all - it is just that they should be allowed to exist in the first place.  Currently we do not have one fully socketed DTR and the three highest performing 3080Ti machines from Eluktronics, MSI and Asus are BGA only with a maximum weight of ca. 7lbs and a maximum power uptake of 330W which just isn't enough these days.

yep, brilliant answer bud! the problem isnt that we would like to have ONLY DTRs, but that there is a lack of choice. we had BGA only thin n light crap in the olden days, as well. but nowadays its all there is on the market....no more choice 😐

• Thumb Up 1

3 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

yep, brilliant answer bud! the problem isnt that we would like to have ONLY DTRs, but that there is a lack of choice. we had BGA only thin n light crap in the olden days, as well. but nowadays its all there is on the market....no more choice 😐

Yep, we have zero choice while there are thousands of BGA books - not OK.

And if it had to be one or the other I would of course choose socketed 😄

Thinking about it I would strongly prefer if Nvidia and AMD would also sell their graphics chips in the same way that AMD and Intel are selling their CPUs. It could be so much more fun and a lot less electronic waste after an initial adaptation period. 

27 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

Yep, we have zero choice while there are thousands of BGA books - not OK.

And if it had to be one or the other I would of course choose socketed 😄

Thinking about it I would strongly prefer if Nvidia and AMD would also sell their graphics chips in the same way that AMD and Intel are selling their CPUs. It could be so much more fun and a lot less electronic waste after an initial adaptation period. 

I'm confused by this statement.  Since gpus don't have sockets they are soldered but connected to a pcie slot board.