NotebookTalk

Clevo p650hs does not display output or boot after changing settings in bios

karim ihab

i just got this sager np8157 (old inventory) and it works really fine until i get to opening a game (tried many) i can play for 10-30 min and have it crash randomly i tried everything and couldn't get anything to work my specs are (i7 7820hk gtx geforce 1070 64 gb ram) i am on driver ver 466.11 and when i try to install a newer version driver the screen seems to not work but i get a display when connecting via hdmi to an external monitor (the laptop has a 4k display) temps are good cpu max 87c and gpu 84c any help please

It freezes for like 5-10sec then exists any game closing it without giving a reason why the exe stopped or blue screens (happened twice) with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT stop code i ran windows diagnostics on the memory and the test came back with no errors, ive even stress tested the cpu/gpu both at the same time for 20min and it works fine i hope that makes my point

When you got the system did you leave the base Windows installation or have you reinstalled Windows on your own?

From what I have been able to gather around it seems using applications that attempt to access or perform the same action can cause that issue. In other instances it was caused by a brand specific power plan application (i.e. Gigabyte power blah blah or Lenovo Superfan yadayada).

I did not attempt to reinstall windows but anyway i saw that whenever its on battery the games play very we'll (with lower performance) i went to edit the power plan and made it the minimum for the cpu 5% as on battery, it was 95% on minimum for some reason and the max is 99% it seemed to work i think. My tests are not that good but i tested with gtav on max settings 4k and it used to crash on 10-15min beamng same stuff now beamng ran for 1:40hrs and gta for about 1hr nothing happened 

So after the problem being solved suddenly i ran back into it after making my maximum processer state to 95% from 80% to not loose that much performance now my tests were on gtav ultra on 2k i done 3 tests, 1st 12:47min then crashed, 2nd test 11.13min then crashed, 3rd test 10:21min and it blue screened with error code (PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA) and my cpu temps were 89c at 95% and gpu was on 92c and hotspot at 101c how is this possible (also using mx4 thermal paste (just repasted 5 days ago) ) i really dont understand this laptop

So now i put back the maximum processer state to 80% and tested again it only lasted 6:09min with maximum cpu temp of 78c and gpu max temp of 85c with hot spot of 96c fans are on maximum from clevo control center and cpu throttling is turned off

To me I would firstly reinstall windows, like @Reciever said, then after that I would then clean the system and reapply thermal paste.

This should then solve the issue as with them temps for GPU I can savely say the driver will be crashing out causing the games to quit.

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

I now have a different problem i was playing around in bios i dont remember honestly what i did but i disabled ufio or something like that and changed something to override and pressed save changes and restarted. Now the power button light turns on with no display output even when attaching a monitor using hdmi it runs for a while with no display then the power button light turns off then on again as if its restarting or something idk whats wrong with it have I fried it?

When troubleshooting you need to understand what you are altering in order to zero in on what appears to be the problem at hand, changing random settings in the BIOS is not ideal when it appears to be a software issue.

You will likely need to clearn the CMOS/NVRAM to get the system to post again as since you dont really know what you altered it would be difficult to give advise before re-establishing a baseline.

I had a problem with my sager clevo laptop overheating and stuff so long story short i saw that you can undervolt the cpu using bios so i went in and started looking i didnt know what i was looking for anyway i changed two settings the uefi i put to disable instead of enable and changed something to override idk what exactly but it was in the overclock settings, i saw some stuff on google so i went after the steps i disconnected the battery/charger, took out the ram/ cmos battery and put all back together nothing happens i press the power button it lights up for about 5 secs then goes off if i press again after it turning off it then keeps on fans wont spin no display no boot even if connected to an external monitor and after a while it turns off then on by it's self as if its restarting please help im so worried specs are i7 7820hk gtx 1070 64gb ram if that helps

How do i do that please help i already took out the ram and cmos battery after disconnecting the battery/charger as google said it would help idk why i did this in the first place im so f*ing dumb im so worried as i just bought it 

I haven't had to reset the BIOS with my system but generally speaking its more difficult to clear NVRAM manually these days. 

After a little searching, try holding Fn + D while booting. 

If that doesnt work you can try removing the AC adapter, battery, CMOS battery then try hitting the power button a few dozen times to try and delete the charge.

Right open the laptop, find the CMOS battery and unplug it also unplug the laptop battery and power cables.

Then press and hold the power button to fully drain the system then put the CMOS battery back in followed by laptop battery and finally power supply. This should do a full NVRAM clear, FN+D doesn't always do a full NVRAM clear.

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

even if you did the cmos and nvram reset successfully, u will need to be patient for the first boot after the rest. it will usually do 1-2 reboots by itself and then take additional several minutes until it actually displays anything. so just to be on the safe side, after the reset, for the first reboot let it sit for at least 5 minutes before doing anything and give it proper time to display an output.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

2 hours ago, karim ihab said:

It does not show anything on the display and the fans do not spin

did u follow the extra steps suggested in the other thread u originally posted for proper NVRAM reset? still nothing?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Would be handy to have the mods merge this thread with 

After all its not only the same system but part of the same issue.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

even if you did the cmos and nvram reset successfully, u will need to be patient for the first boot after the rest. it will usually do 1-2 reboots by itself and then take additional several minutes until it actually displays anything. so just to be on the safe side, after the reset, for the first reboot let it sit for at least 5 minutes before doing anything and give it proper time to display an output.

Thank you so much it helped after a while of it sitting it finally booted and reset all bios on its own, but now im facing the same problem of it over heating, i saw someone post that if i undervolt the cpu by -125 from bios then it would help. Well it did and didn't now the laptop doesn't crash after 10-15 min when playing games i tested with gtav ultra 2k ran for 49 min then i closed it my self thankfully, on the other hand the cpu temps still reach 98 it doesn't go higher than that and the gpu 91c with hot spot of 102c

Note. When running the laptop at idle on performance mode from clevo control center the cpu utilization is at 1-5% while the speed is more than the base clock of 2.90ghz it sits around 3.10-3.90 ghz even after disabling the turbo boost from Windows registry editor and power plan, the only way to lower it to the 0. Something is to enable power save mode from clevo control center and that puts the laptop on airplane mode or on the battery without the charger idk if that affect the cpu but someone told me it does. Thank you all btw for helping me in advance 

29 minutes ago, karim ihab said:

Thank you so much it helped after a while of it sitting it finally booted and reset all bios on its own, but now im facing the same problem of it over heating, i saw someone post that if i undervolt the cpu by -125 from bios then it would help. Well it did and didn't now the laptop doesn't crash after 10-15 min when playing games i tested with gtav ultra 2k ran for 49 min then i closed it my self thankfully, on the other hand the cpu temps still reach 98 it doesn't go higher than that and the gpu 91c with hot spot of 102c

Note. When running the laptop at idle on performance mode from clevo control center the cpu utilization is at 1-5% while the speed is more than the base clock of 2.90ghz it sits around 3.10-3.90 ghz even after disabling the turbo boost from Windows registry editor and power plan, the only way to lower it to the 0. Something is to enable power save mode from clevo control center and that puts the laptop on airplane mode or on the battery without the charger idk if that affect the cpu but someone told me it does. Thank you all btw for helping me in advance 

this really sounds like you have a severe cooling problem my friend... next time you take off the heatsink, be sure and take pictures of what the spread looks like on gpu and cpu as well as the heatsink so we can get an idea of how good your paste job was.

in any case, glad to see your laptop has come back to life 🙂

Honestly I dont feel comfortable opening it up again since its put down by many screw's but i can tell you how i applied the paste, first off all its Arctic mx4 and i used a plastic tool to spread the paste evenly not missing on any parts then i put a good sized dot on both cpu and gpu