NotebookTalk

Bought RTX 3080 Laptop GPU for my P775TM1-G.

srs2236

3 hours ago, srs2236 said:

Glad you figured it out! I notice you have your RTX 3080 running at 180w. Did you shunt mod it?

Yes I did shunt mod it 🙂 I was quite conservative with it as I want it to last a good long time.

I added 20mOhm shunt resistors on top of the 5mOhm already on the card so in theory (without talking to the vrm itself) it should be 180w.

The performance is quite good and beats 165w dynamic boost cards in GPU benchmarks

1000010669.jpg

• Like 1

My Clevo P775dm3
8700k @4.7
3080mxm (180w)
32gb cl18

5 hours ago, incendery said:

Yes I did shunt mod it 🙂 I was quite conservative with it as I want it to last a good long time.

I added 20mOhm shunt resistors on top of the 5mOhm already on the card so in theory (without talking to the vrm itself) it should be 180w.

The performance is quite good and beats 165w dynamic boost cards in GPU benchmarks

1000010669.jpg

Nice! I would suggest trying to talk with the VRM, because the power calculation usually is not so straight forward. I have been wanting to do this for long time but didn't touch my machine for almost a year lol. Now I have got another P775 I want to put together and I have regained interest in my machine.

Where did you get your 20mOhm shunt resistor? I want to replicate your mod as it seems to be safe.

Also, did you ever try to restore G-Sync functionality? This is something I want to try when I get my other machine fixed with my old 2080. Having two of the exact same machines and one with working G-Sync might make it a whole lot easier. There was someone who had restored G-Sync functionality so it should be possible, unless the drivers make it impossible nowadays. What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Clevo P775TM1-G:

Spoiler

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop 16GB (150W, +110MHz Core, +350MHz Mem)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KS (5GHz, 4GHz Cache, -130mV, 255A, 200W PL1/2)

RAM: DDR4 32 GB (3333MHz, 14-17-17-32, 2x16, Micron rev.E, 1.45v)

Storage 1: Kingston KC3000 2TB RAID0 (2x1TB, NVME, PCI-E 3.0)

Storage 2: Seagate LM015 2TB (2.5, HDD, SATA3)

Storage 3: Integral UltimaPro 512GB (SDXC, 100r/50w, PCI-E)

Display: AU Optronics B173ZAN0.10 (4K, 60Hz)

Wi-Fi/BT: Killer(R) Wireless-AC 1550 (9260NGW, PCI-E)

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro x64 (23H2)

14 hours ago, srs2236 said:

Nice! I would suggest trying to talk with the VRM, because the power calculation usually is not so straight forward. I have been wanting to do this for long time but didn't touch my machine for almost a year lol. Now I have got another P775 I want to put together and I have regained interest in my machine.

Where did you get your 20mOhm shunt resistor? I want to replicate your mod as it seems to be safe.

Also, did you ever try to restore G-Sync functionality? This is something I want to try when I get my other machine fixed with my old 2080. Having two of the exact same machines and one with working G-Sync might make it a whole lot easier. There was someone who had restored G-Sync functionality so it should be possible, unless the drivers make it impossible nowadays. What are your thoughts on this?

I do plan on talking to the VRM at some point, I have recently moved countries so my time has been a little short and I've been using the laptop as my main PC now 🙂 

I salvaged The 20mOhm shunts from some parts donor boards I had laying around at the time, nothing too specific

I don't know if my machine ever supported gsync and haven't tried getting it working, using NVIDIA custom resolution settings I have the display overclocked happily to 100hz instead 🙂 

• Thumb Up 1

My Clevo P775dm3
8700k @4.7
3080mxm (180w)
32gb cl18