NotebookTalk

Dell Precision 7670 & Dell Precision 7770 owner's thread

Just saw this in another thread 😕

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-afterburner-software-without-msi-support-project-is-probably-dead

(I wonder if you can adjust power limits using any other tool, like NVIDIA Inspector maybe?)

[Edit]

MSI response.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/9/23546476/msi-afterburner-abandoned-dead-unwinder-developer-russia-ukraine-war

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

I wonder if you can adjust power limits using any other tool, like NVIDIA Inspector maybe?

I believe you can, prob using MSI Afterburner .NET class under the hood,

inspector.jpg 

there is also EVGA Precision X1, but development ended since they exited the GPU market,
(final X1 Precision build with 4090 support v1.3.7.0)
ss_e8ed9b5f1a7bc852e1acfe70c17517e444eb31bc.600x338.jpg?t=1585764502

• Thumb Up 1

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

Just an update on my 7670: I've been using it for a couple of months. It's definitely a quick and capable machine, even if it doesn't make use of full potential of the hardware. I mainly use it docked with a second screen. That is the only way to cope with the insane thermals. Normal laptop use is annoying because no setting I've tried gets the heat through the keyboard to a decent level. Very disappointed with Dell. The whole point of a machine like this is to spend many hours using powerful software.

Anyhow, does anyone have recommendation for a good backpack for the 7670? I need something with lots of protection and not too bulky. Not necessary to have a super slim one.

1 hour ago, Reshen said:

Anyhow, does anyone have recommendation for a good backpack for the 7670? I need something with lots of protection and not too bulky. Not necessary to have a super slim one.

I'm using the evoc porter. the 7670 fits just perfect in the paded insert.

i need e backpack that is good for biking...

• Thumb Up 1

Hi,

Just found this thread after a pretty frustrating sessions with my (work) 7670, 12950HX equipped.

So initially I have a system with the latest BIOS (1.8) and the better fans (S-something brand).

First results from CB23 are 17k, which is better than others were reporting.

I noticed that strange thermal throttling behavior reported on earlier posts - CB multi processor session is started, with what seems like a full-load - PKG power peaks to 157W and stays about 120-130W. During this time the fans kick-in. The first CB pass is finished and shows a predicted score of ~ 20+k. It takes about ~ 1 min in this state and then the machine drops performances and stays at about 75W PKG power. Later CB passes are slower and the final score is 16-17k depending on (I don't now).

I used to have a 9880H before (7650 ?), and from what I remembered during heavy load the fans were always working, loud and fast. This isn't the case with the 7670. It looks like the system decides it doesn't want to work hard. Fans become medium speed and as I said, power remains at 75W.

Trying to break through that barrier, I've done couple of things as recommend along the thread. First was repasting, and then enabling CFG and overclock using the methods in OP. Set ultimate performances plan in the BIOS.

So the situation now is I'm trying to use ThrottleStop to make it work harder.

Problems are:

TS doesn't seem to change anything. At least nothing noticeable. I've used  @MyPC8MyBrain recommendations for TS as initial values. It looks like the OC multipliers (47 for P cores) are ignored ( do I check it correctly: watching the FID values). The CPU core undervolt is -145mV. Increased from 125 - I don't see any difference.

The most dominant performances drop is clearly because of the "1 min drop". Tried to change PL values under TPR, but this also has no clear effect.

I will be glad for any recommendations with this. Thank you

1 hour ago, dude123 said:

I will be glad for any recommendations with this. Thank you

Starting with last year's systems (11th gen / Precision 7X60), the fans are much more hesitant to kick in; you need a sustained load for a minute or two before they ramp up to max.  And at least in my Precision 7770, "max" is not that high, just around 3600 RPM (where previous systems I have seen hitting 4500-4800).

For ThrottleStop to work, make sure that you have the CPU virtualization support turned off in BIOS settings.  (It is on by default, I believe.)

In any case, I turn off turbo boost to keep temperatures under control when I am not running a high-CPU load.  (I have an "article" about it linked from my sig.)

• Thumb Up 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

2 hours ago, Reshen said:

Normal laptop use is annoying because no setting I've tried gets the heat through the keyboard to a decent level

try setting bios power plan to "cool" and windows power plan to "best power efficiency" (my idle temps below),

undervolt-idle.jpg

• Thumb Up 1

6 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Starting with last year's systems (11th gen / Precision 7X60), the fans are much more hesitant to kick in; you need a sustained load for a minute or two before they ramp up to max.  And at least in my Precision 7770, "max" is not that high, just around 3600 RPM (where previous systems I have seen hitting 4500-4800).

For ThrottleStop to work, make sure that you have the CPU virtualization support turned off in BIOS settings.  (It is on by default, I believe.)

In any case, I turn off turbo boost to keep temperatures under control when I am not running a high-CPU load.  (I have an "article" about it linked from my sig.)

All right - many thanks for the virtualization tip!

So my first attempts starting with mpc8mb recommended values + few changes bring be a bit below 20k on CB23.

That's a good improvement. But not near the top. I'll dig in to work my way up.

Yet the most annoying thing is that "steady state" level of cpu utilization. So PKG power is about 78W and fans are medium. Which mechanism governs this?

@dude123 there's no fan control/override solution for the 7X70 line yet,
no third party including @Aaron44126 Dell Fan management works atm,

to get the most out of my system during testing i activated S3 power management, disabled Modern Standby and activated classic power plans including ultimate power, if you scroll back i posted a small script to help switching between modes, during none stressful day to day operation in run on cool in bios and power saver in windows, when needed with one click I can switch between modes for high power operations,

it is important to have the right combination in power plan to unlock everything the platform has to offer during bench, you don't have to switch to S3 or classic power plans you can still switch modes with Modern Standby set to best performance and in bios Ultra Performance, for best results in CB23 hybrid screen mode performs better since the task is cpu bound, for 3DMARK you want to switch Hybrid mode off and disable NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework driver, 

but first dial your cpu undervolt, with my undervolt for CB23 test i am able to lock all Performance cores to 5.0Mhz and Efficacy cores to 3.6Mhz, other benchmarks don't like this but CB23 doesn't seem to care,

i also optimized my system services and background process to very basic (50 processes at idle)

7 hours ago, dude123 said:

I've done couple of things as recommend along the thread. First was repasting

17k is not great after repaste unless you were using the wrong power plan at the time (you need to be on Ultra Performance in bios and max power in windows), you should be hitting 22k-24k repeatedly for a single run (with 2min cooldown),

Tweaked-CB23-15.jpg 

1 hour ago, dude123 said:

Which mechanism governs this?

I can tell you that the fans are run by the embedded controller.  Dell has an all-new implementation for fan control that was introduced with the Tiger Lake systems in 2021.  (I think that it is basically the same implementation in all of their laptops except for Alienware, though I have only personally used Precision laptops that have Tiger Lake or later.)  AFAIK, no one has found a way to manipulate it into manual control of any sort yet.  I will eagerly integrate any solution found (Windows or Linux!) into Dell Fan Management.

• Sad 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

3 minutes ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

lets go Aaron \  o  / 

Ha, I gave it a go with the Precision 7560 in 2021 but came up blank.  😛

(I was first/only to come up with a solution to read the fan RPM values though...)

[Edit] I keep writing "last year" when I mean 2021...

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

5 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

I gave it a go with the Precision 7560 in 2021 but came up blank

i want to believe its just a matter of getting the right hint/tip/lead where to look for,
if anyone can do it it's you, I believe you will figure it out eventually!

if anything Dell has made bios operation and management fairly easy now days with PowerShell commands that can changes any settings from within windows, windows power management still communicates with the EC to ramp up fans (I think, EC could also be sampling temps (can we fake temps to fool ec?))

12 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

@dude123 there's no fan control/override solution for the 7X70 line yet,
no third party including @Aaron44126 Dell Fan management works atm,

to get the most out of my system during testing i activated S3 power management, disabled Modern Standby and activated classic power plans including ultimate power, if you scroll back i posted a small script to help switching between modes, during none stressful day to day operation in run on cool in bios and power saver in windows, when needed with one click I can switch between modes for high power operations,

Couldn't make Ultimate power plan appear. Used the CMD commands suggested online but it just does appear in powercfg /L nor in windows power plan list. I can see the line in the the registry though. Searched for setting a csEnabled flag in the reg to 1 but the csEnabled key doesn't exist anywhere.

About s3 state - those keys doesn't exist:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"PlatformAoAcOverride"=dword:00000000
"CsEnabled"=dword:00000000

nor under ControlSet001.

The powercfg /a shows:
think  this needs to be unlocked through usb boot

C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
    Hibernate

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
        This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.

Fast Startup
        This action is disabled in the current system policy.

12 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

17k is not great after repaste unless you were using the wrong power plan at the time (you need to be on Ultra Performance in bios and max power in windows), you should be hitting 22k-24k repeatedly for a single run (with 2min cooldown),

I'm near 20k. That's sad.

If this was personal machine I would have thrown it back already. Can't understand how Dell is delivering those. That's more of my corporate's problem as they insist buying from this vendor. Eventually they get non productive employees. 

Thanks 🙂

16 hours ago, dude123 said:

Couldn't make Ultimate power plan appear

there are few steps to get classic power to work, its not as straight forward as it should (clearly MS don't want us to use classic because they made a new fancy app like interface they want us to use and debug for them),

16 hours ago, dude123 said:

About s3 state - those keys doesn't exist

enable S3 in bios same way you activated undervolting with command below,
afterwards it will be available for powercfg,

# Enable ACPI S3 Support (default 0x1)

setup_var CpuSetup 0xE 0x0

next you need to disable modern sleep and turn on classic in windows,
backup the following reg hive than delete it and everything below it, afterwards recreate it with nothing under it,

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep"

import the following reg keys

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"PlatformAoAcOverride"=dword:00000000
"CsEnabled"=dword:00000000

reboot after the above,

next put this in a batch and execute as admin (adjust your file path as needed)

powercfg -import "D:\System\Scripts\POW\High performance.pow" 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

powercfg -import "D:\System\Scripts\POW\Power saver.pow" a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

powercfg -import "D:\System\Scripts\POW\Ultimate Performance.pow" e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

:: (Power saver)
powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

::(High Performance)
powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

::(Ultimate Performance)
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

to execute the above batch you will need the classic .pow files in path which i have posted here for everyone,

inside i also included Modern Standby Disable/Enable reg files to make changes needed and the batch file i use, just edit path in the batch to point to where you keep .pow files,

after you execute the batch as admin if classic doesn't list it is windows acting up,
run the batch again as admin they will show!!!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k4xwiu14yeop9uy/POW.rar/file

archive pass: notebooktalk.net

here is my "power switch" script i rewrote from earlier version i use it to activate best power options for workloads and back to cool power saving when clicked again, it will turn on ultimate power or best performance in windows, disable NVPCF driver (this needs admin rights, the script will self elevate) and switch bios power to Ultra Performance, and vice versa when clicked on again it will revert back to cool in bios and best power efficiency or power saver depends on if S3 or Modern Standby active, and re-enable NVPCF driver, the script is designed to work with either Classic Power plan or Modern Standby schema active, reboot not required when switching,

put in PowerSwitch.bat

@echo off
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
:: Check admin mode, auto-elevate if required.
  openfiles > NUL 2>&1 || (
:: Not elevated, Elevate.
    echo createObject^("Shell.Application"^).shellExecute "%~dpnx0", "%*", "", "runas">"%TEMP%\%~n0.vbs"
    cscript /nologo "%TEMP%\%~n0.vbs"
    goto :eof
  )
  del /s /q "%TEMP%\%~n0.vbs" > NUL 2>&1
)
mode con: cols=35 lines=3 & color a
@echo off
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep" /v EnabledActions > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 1 GOTO ModernSleepOff
GOTO ModernSleepOn
:ModernSleepOn
REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes" /v ActiveOverlayAcPowerScheme | findstr /i "777" >nul && (REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes" /v ActiveOverlayAcPowerScheme /t REG_SZ /d ded574b5-45a0-4f42-8737-46345c09c238 /f >nul & REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes" /v ActiveOverlayAcPowerScheme /t REG_SZ /d ded574b5-45a0-4f42-8737-46345c09c238 /f >nul & powershell -Command "& {pnputil /disable-device 'ACPI\NVDA0820\NPCF'}" >nul & powershell -Command "& {Import-Module DellBIOSProvider ; cd DellSmbios:\PreEnabled ; si .\ThermalManagement 'UltraPerformance'}" & echo -=== Best performance Active ====-)
if %errorlevel% equ 1 (REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes" /v ActiveOverlayAcPowerScheme /t REG_SZ /d 961cc777-2547-4f9d-8174-7d86181b8a7a /f >nul & REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes" /v ActiveOverlayAcPowerScheme /t REG_SZ /d 961cc777-2547-4f9d-8174-7d86181b8a7a /f >nul & powershell -Command "& {pnputil /enable-device 'ACPI\NVDA0820\NPCF'}" >nul & powershell -Command "& {Import-Module DellBIOSProvider ; cd DellSmbios:\PreEnabled ; si .\ThermalManagement 'Cool'}" & echo ** Best power efficiency Active **)
GOTO END
:ModernSleepOff
call echo OK >nul
powercfg.exe -getactivescheme | findstr /i "saver" >nul && (powercfg -s 4b87c29d-e3cd-43bf-bdf8-202cc11f6f94 & powershell -Command "& {pnputil /disable-device 'ACPI\NVDA0820\NPCF'}" & powershell -Command "& {Import-Module DellBIOSProvider ; cd DellSmbios:\PreEnabled ; si .\ThermalManagement 'UltraPerformance'}" & echo -======  Ultimate Active   ======-)
if %errorlevel% equ 1 (powercfg -s a104489f-31f2-47b5-b73a-d56bd7ef4926 & powershell -Command "& {pnputil /enable-device 'ACPI\NVDA0820\NPCF'}" & powershell -Command "& {Import-Module DellBIOSProvider ; cd DellSmbios:\PreEnabled ; si .\ThermalManagement 'Cool'}" & echo ******* Power saver Active *******)
GOTO END
:end
TIMEOUT 3 > nul
goto :eof

Edit:
to make the bios changes in the script above "Dell Command PowerShell Provider" is required! 

• Thanks 1
  • Bump 1

wOW thanks for collecting all this..

to be honest, i'm very skeptical that the power plans have any significant effect, as in my case, the medium speed fans and the high load "steady- state" reduce the effective power x10 times. But I'll give it a try. How would you estimate the possible improvement with CB23 results. Lets say i'm on 19.5k..

As of TrottleStop. I find it very unsteady. Sometimes it looks like its doing something, sometimes not. For example, I've had a very good setup, in terms of performances (relative to my PC). After sometime it gave me a BOSD during low load. Also changing the turbo groups ratio seems to have no effect sometimes (randomly). Anyway, I tried to go back to the same parameters, but this time the performance are not that good. Very frustrating. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dude123 said:

wOW thanks for collecting all this..

YVW :classic_cool: (hardly a collection bit technical know how)

i'm very skeptical that the power plans have any significant effect

they are critical to unleash full power, the first layer is the bios power plan,
there is a reason they created 4 plans and they each have their characteristics (imho the logic behind them is very old and not very suitable for the new generation cpu), nevertheless that is the first power definition layer, that layer regardless of windows power plan will set a starting point limits on power distribution fan operation etc., on top of these limits will come windows own power plan and their logic, but they cannot change initial bios power settings but execute over these set limits, as bios windows also have separate power plan for a reason it is not "automatic gear" operations you have to manually shift "power" gears,

As of TrottleStop. I find it very unsteady

it is not ThrottleStop it is most likely your paste job, somewhere in this giant thread i gave step by step instruction for one of the users on how to properly repaste, make sure you brief over that and go for another repaste,

i have ThrottleStop running as a task always in the background with stable undervolt you should have no issues,
remember you need to back off 25mV from your highest sustainable undervolt, 

I tried to go back to the same parameters, but this time the performance are not that good.

are you confirming that locking performance cores at 4.7 gives you better performance then default unlocked?

10 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

it is not ThrottleStop it is most likely your paste job, somewhere in this giant thread i gave step by step instruction for one of the users on how to properly repaste, make sure you brief over that and go for another repaste,

Could be. I'll get my liquid metal and try again.

i have ThrottleStop running as a task always in the background with stable undervolt you should have no issues,
remember you need to back off 25mV from your highest sustainable undervolt, 

Ok so now I feel I can load on some TS questions 🤣

Do you make the increments to both cpu-core and cpu-p-cache at the same time - i.e. step by step side by side, or your moving one of them to the limit, move back, and incrementing the other?

Are you hitting PL1 at the stable state? can you share your TPL configuration for this system

are you confirming that locking performance cores at 4.7 gives you better performance then default unlocked?

What do you mean by locking? just changing the FIVR Turbo Groups values ?

My multipliers never reach 47 (FIDs - correct?). TS Bench puts them around 42, then about 38-39 after some time. CB load brings them to about 44 at the very beginning, then scales down to about 33.

Thanks

which cpu is installed on your system?
the numbers I been posting as reference are for the 12950HX variant,

10 hours ago, dude123 said:

Ok so now I feel I can load on some TS questions 🤣

i am not any form of authority when it comes to TS, i can only offer my personal experience,
for more in-depth you should contact UncleWebb who is the author of TS,

the way i work on undervolting is in increments, i do not undervolt for a specific formation rather to cpu's full spec and then lower core clocks etc., i start with cpu core undervolt settings first, next i set cache ratio and then move on to undervoting P Cache, after P-Cache is set i move on setting E-Cache, only after all cores been undervolted while cpu is stable in full default clocks i will look into locking performance cores at 4.7 etc. 

the order is as follows

CPU Core

Cache Ratio

CPU P-Cache

CPU E-Cache

Lock Turbo Group to 4.7Mhz

for each i go from 0 in -25mV increments, when you crash or fail revert to previous 25mV setting prior and move on to test the next value, rule of thumb you only make one change each time and test, if you mix too many variables you will never know which change made a positive or a negative effect, you than push in increments until the system crashes or fails during bench, that is your top threshold, from that point backoff +25mV and move on to test the next variable, 

10 hours ago, dude123 said:

What do you mean by locking?

below turbo groups you will see few ratio preset in form of button, you can manually set the clock speeds or click a preset and they will all be set to that, when i say lock all cores to 4.7 i mean just that, set them all to go max 4.7Mhz,

this is preventing from cpu ramping up to 5Ghz where its generating more heat then efficient performance,

groups.jpg 

Heads up, it looks like Dell might be looking to block undervolting in later firmwares.

https://notebooktalk.net/topic/685-enable-undervolting-on-your-dell-xps-9500951097009710-or-others/?do=findComment&comment=23585

https://www.reddit.com/r/DellXPS/comments/1019me5/dell_xps_17_9720_issue_with_undervolting_after/

(This is regarding an XPS system, but of course they share a lot of BIOS code between all models.)

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

well... if engineers at dell are out of important things to worry about why not kill their one and only saving grace? that will surely increase sales through the roof, another drunken immature executive decision,

by the time Michel Dell will learn through spreadsheet and graphs his company is going down the drain it will be too late.

R.I.P DELL

Just to play Devil's Advocate here - those are the same settings that can overvolt the CPU and lead to permanent damage in unskillful hands, correct?  It's possible they had some damaged units sent in due to customers bricking their own PCs playing with these things.

The worst reason they could have to do this is simply... marketing.  If two PCs with the exact same configuration / SKU# / etc. can perform similarly only if PC #2 is undervolted/repasted/reconfigured all to hell, that means the value proposition you get for the price of that SKU# is a complete lottery.  It's very likely what we're seeing here with the performance numbers is that all of these laptops are pre-tuned to perform to the lowest common denominator - which is why some are cool cucumbers and some are dumpster fires, as long as they get similar performance numbers out of the box.  So, some will have performance on tap, and some laptops will already be pushing the thresholds of their maximum performance.

• Haha 1

P7730 / 6-core / 64GB ECC RAM / 3 x 2TB NVME; P7760 / 8-core / 128GB ECC RAM

Steiger Dynamics 16 core Ryzen 7950X / RTX A6000 48GB GPU / 128 GB RAM / 5x4TB NVME

9 hours ago, alittleteapot said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate here

you've taken the devils advocate angle more than once now,
make me think you're a lawyer or a detective or something in those lines 😄 

9 hours ago, alittleteapot said:

the same settings that can overvolt the CPU and lead to permanent damage in unskillful hands, correct?

technically you cannot cause physical component damage when undervolting, even in unskilled hands, overvolt is another story but no one is overvolting an overheating laptop, the trend is to undervolt to make it useable,

as for few bad apples, it is no different from one buying a new car and abusing it under warranty,
nowhere is mentioned that one is not suppose to open his machine or make adjustment,

if they are reading their sales metrics trying to correlate losses/returns they should look inside instead of coming up with nonsense, bottom line is... if Dell did their job in the first place none of this would be necessary.

As for the undervolting, recently Intel has released the microcode update, which completely blocks the undervolting and, probably, fixes some security issues. Vendors like Dell started including it to the new BIOS releases last November. 

You can have the undervolting unlocked in BIOS and even specify offsets there, but the undervolting won't be applied. Now it affects the new XPS 15 and 17 with 12900HK with BIOS 1.12.0 and newer, Lenovo Legion 7i with HX CPUs and BIOS newer than 31, some desktop motherboards with Z690, and other platforms.

Ultimately, this update may affect the Precision lineup ad well, including Raptor Lake update.

Additionally, the new Intel microcode may reduce the CPU performance. Dell has confirmed that. Probably, we have the same story as we had with Spectre/Meltdown, but Intel and vendors decided to quietly patch it.

As for the potential damage, undervolting can't damage the system in any way. Also, there are features like Intel CEP.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TwistedAndy said:

Ultimately, this update may affect the Precision lineup ad well

that will render the 7X70 platform and many other with lackluster cooling solution unusable and pointless.

56 minutes ago, TwistedAndy said:

Additionally, the new Intel microcode may reduce the CPU performance. Dell has confirmed that.

this only effects 12th gen cpu?