NotebookTalk

Dell Precision 7670 & Dell Precision 7770 owner's thread

thought id share a real world example i find quite impressive, 

i run a new heavy payload on both my mobile and stationary,

a heavy script involving AI learning with heavy floating point math,

the small test script i run on my stationary 9900KS with top of the line component (of the time),

hardware raid 0 M.2 with 2 x 240 separate loops for the cpu and gpu the system run at 100% @5ghz the entire time, completion was 25 min, same test on the 12950HX in the 7770 completed in 15 min,

i find that impressive from a mobile station,

• Thumb Up 4

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

2 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

thought id share a real world example i find quite impressive, 

i run a new heavy payload on both my mobile and stationary,

a heavy script involving AI learning with heavy floating point math,

the small test script i run on my stationary 9900KS with top of the line component (of the time),

hardware raid 0 M.2 with 2 x 240 separate loops for the cpu and gpu the system run at 100% @5ghz the entire time, completion was 25 min, same test on the 12950HX in the 7770 completed in 15 min,

i find that impressive from a mobile station,

Can you share the script ?

the script itself can be shared but its not something you will be able to run on your end easily,
there are other project related files that's being processed i am unable to share,

its also not a common programing language,

20 minutes ago, dude123 said:

another reference for my current system

i posted plenty official benchmark results throughout this thread you can use as reference,
the above post gives reference to a desktop system with 9900KS compared with the 12950HX in mobile chassis running the same payload, both system with dual channel 64GB RAM, desktop has robust cooling with hardware raid M.2, dGpu is not active during the script run so the results are pure cpu load comparison,

Yes I followed your results, thanks.

Thing is, even though undervolting did give me a performance bump in CB23 results, a custom benchmark (with operations and programs I use for my work, uses only CPU, and with different scenarios taken from my everyday heavy load jobs) has showed no significant improvement.

never mind. I'm going to stick to stability. undervolting gives me random BOSD after different durations of operation. Decreasing the uv to a "safe" level will decrease the performances, and what do I get from that. I had a ~3 day run, PC bsod after 48 hrs. urrrrr.

Also have issues with no uv. PC is "napping", programs crash. Of course this could be application related, but adding the uv layer means more uncertainty.

It's going to be a desktop next time 🤣

cheers.

• Thumb Up 1

Touchpad firmware update.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=3XDH8

[Edit]

Also, saw this notice on a Samsung 980 Pro issue.  I know a few users have installed one of these drives.  My drive came with the "problematic" 3B2QGXA7 firmware.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-980-pro-ssd-failures-firmware-update

• Thanks 1

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, dude123 said:

here are my attempts.

that looks all over the place, you are confusing yourself needlessly,

first leave all cores to their default speed, set proper cache ratio min/max and don't over undervold your cpu,

start with -100 (actual -97.7)on core and p cache only, run 3D Mark bench if you crash go back 25 clicks on both undervolt settings until you pass the bench with no errors,

Untitled.jpg

11 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

that looks all over the place, you are confusing yourself needlessly,

first leave all cores to their default speed, set proper cache ratio min/max and don't over undervold your cpu,

start with -100 (actual -97.7)on core and p cache only, run 3D Mark bench if you crash go back 25 clicks on both undervolt settings until you pass the bench with no errors,

Believe me, that's exactly what I did, you can see some lines are using exactly your initial values. That excel is just an attempt to figure out if there are any parameters that can make a performance bump to the levels you reported. Moreover, I really tried to make the system run as long as possible before the PL1 limit breaks in, as I find it the most performance limiting issue. Couldn't make it happen.

Of course I can use a very humble uv values, but that's not going to show me a significant improvement. And just to remind what I've said earlier, the crash can come after 1-2 days, sometimes causing me to loose ongoing work. 

I'm now facing issues with some king of "half" idles. Running a long task, the system suddenly throttles an application i'm using to 50% cpu utilization when the screen goes off... but as I said I'm not sure if that's the application or the OS or the Dell.

Here are some updated about the current situation with undervolting: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/10slejm/comment/j73ge9a/

Good news:

1. The undervolting protection can be disabled on some BIOS allowing the runtime undervolting

2. There's an option to undervolt the system through BIOS, but...

Bad news:

1. The undervolting protection feature is not working properly on a large number of motherboards (including Dell) and significantly reduced the system stability if even the small undervolting is applied. Some vendors have found a solution, but it may affect the device security

2. Dell won't add this feature to the BIOS anytime soon and, probably, won't intentionally fix the related issues

• Thanks 2

Hi,

Some audio related comments. Same problems seems to affect several Dell models running Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.9418.1 like Precision 7X70 and 7X60 etc.

I have disabled the "WavesSysSvc" as proposed to keep PendingFileRenameOperations key off from registry.

No more complaints about constant pending reboot status installing other software.

Each folder seems to include only new plugins.xml, which is identical with original version.

Locking the GPU clock speed to a certain value or range.

The way I've always seen documented to do this is to use the nvidia-smi command with something like:

nvidia-smi -i 0 -ac 877,1215

This would specify a specific memory and core clock speed respectively.  However, this is not supported with GeForce GPUs, only pro GPUs, so it cannot be used with the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti in the Precision 7X70 systems.

...I was playing around and discovered that a command like this actually works on the GeForce GPU.

nvidia-smi -i 0 -lgc 1110,1110

With this command, you are setting the GPU clock speed only (not the memory clock speed) and you are asking the GPU to stick within the specified range.  In this case, I have used the same value for the lower bound and upper bound so the GPU clock speed is fixed at 1110 MHz.

You can reset things back to normal with:

nvidia-smi -i 0 -rgc

You can see the list of supported GPU core clock speeds with:

nvidia-smi -i 0 --query-supported-clocks=gr --format=csv

My understanding is that the GPU may still clock down below the requested range if there are power/thermal constraints that prevent it from sticking in the requested range.

In my case, I'm interested in setting the GPU clock to a fixed value just to get consistent performance.  I play with some odd applications (err, game console emulators) that are sensitive to timing and hiccup or stutter if the GPU does not realize that it needs to ramp up the clock speed frequency quickly enough.

There is also a parameter -lmc and -rmc to lock and reset the memory clocks...  I have not played with this one yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

CAMM is replacing SO-DIMM as an industry standard from 2024 on to overcome the limits of SO-DIMM (frequency, 32 GB per stick etc.)...

"Goodbye, SO-DIMM: Memory overseer JEDEC will formally adopt the “CAMM Common Spec” as the next RAM module standard for laptops."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1473126/camm-the-future-of-laptop-memory-has-arrived.html

• Thanks 1

"..according to JEDEC committee member, and Dell Senior Distinguished Engineer Tom Schnell"

Schnell is the German word for fast - lets see how fast CAMM takes over with a little help of Tom 😉

Dell Precision 7740 * i7 9750h * 48GB * 512GB, 2TB, 4TB * RTX 3000 * 1920x1080

1 hour ago, markishome359 said:

have you tried the 330 W power supply since getting the GPU unlocked/overclocked?

i have, other than the full 330w actually drawn from the wall generating more heat,
same result as with the 240w power supply no difference whatsoever,

• Thumb Up 1

Question for Dell Precision 7670 and 7770 owners

Few lines from BIOS

Enable Intel Turbo Boost Maximum Technology 3.0

When enables a processor core running a high workload will perform at a higher
frequency than the marked maximum turbo frequency of the processor package.
Additionally, if supported it will disable Nvidia Dynamic Boost 2.0
This option is available when CPU has support for it.

1) Do you have Intel Turbo Boost Maximum Technology 3.0 activated in BIOS?

2) What is like this from factory or have you activated the setting by yourself?

3) NVIDIA System Information will show Dynamic Boost Yes / No

4) Device Manager - Software device - NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework is visible without warnings

5) type of CPU

6) type of GPU

7) BIOS version

My setup

1) activated yes since 17th Feb 2023

2) No

3) Yes  (It's still yes even it should be no => my CPU does not really support Turbo 3.0?)

4) Yes

5) i9-12950HX

6) RTX A4500

7) 1.18.0

13 minutes ago, heikkuri said:

Question for Dell Precision 7670 and 7770 owners

1. No.  Actually, I tried it, and I found that it seriously impacted GPU/gaming performance, so I turned it back off.

2. It was not on by default.

3. It shows dynamic boost, but it doesn't have a separate entry for Dynamic Boost 2.0 which I have seen on my Precision 7560.

4. Yes.

5. 12950HX

6. 3080Ti

7. 1.8.0

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi