NotebookTalk

Dell Precision 7670 & Dell Precision 7770 owner's thread

34 minutes ago, jorgeregula said:

Yeah, it makes sense. Just wondering what @MyPC8MyBrain his secret sauce is because in his runs the CPU score does not seem to drop much 🙂

You might try running Throttlestop or HWInfo64 to monitor power limit reasons while the CPU benchmark portion is running.

If you repaste Honeywell PTM7950 is a decent option on the CPU and can be purchased now stateside from modDIY for a modest price over getting it via ebuy7.

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

11 hours ago, jorgeregula said:

Just wondering what @MyPC8MyBrain his secret sauce

i didn't use my secret sauce when running benches on the 7770 (i did it with the 7670)
the 7770 was benched right on my desk with 74c ambient temps and a 240w brick,

i only applied undervolt setting which i posted few pages back,
my current 7770 is also running with stock paste atm,

the rest is just win11 service and application tuning,

as it is 3DMARK score is now 13500 with unlocked dGpu, I'm pretty sure from here I can easily squeeze additional 5%-10% with LM TIM, 330w brick, and little secret sauce,

the impossible is not impossible, its just haven't been done yet.

@win32asmguy's discovery is pretty cool and appears to be generic for any PC with an NVIDIA GPU. So I tried this in my current laptop which is a 2019 Clevo:

I installed the driver (which is the latest as of this writing) and MSI afterburner beta, and the power limit is unlocked to me for the first time! But it's already set to 100% for me which is both the default and maximum in GPU-Z. Also because I have an original (pre-Max P) 20 series mobile GPU it reports the TDP in percentage instead of the discrete number (which is a puny 80W)

gpu-z.gif

Has anyone already tried undervolting by changing settings in the BIOS NVRAM? The parameters for voltage offset are there as well. Does this offer any advantages -- e.g. not being vulnerable to plundervolt?

I have now applied the settings in Throttlestop using the normal method

-125 mV on CPU core and CPU P cache

- 90mV on CPU E cache

Combined with the GPU power limit at 139% this gave me a 3DMark score of 11247 (10690 graphics and 15969 CPU). Score on stock was 10150, so I'm very happy with that increase! Final preference would be to stick the voltage offset changes in the BIOS. Searching through the dump that was provided here in the thread there are a couple of candidates.

For reference I attached the same BIOS dump that @MyPC8MyBrain provided, but formatted for easier readability, using https://github.com/BoringBoredom/UEFI-Editor/releases

Looking at the different options available, and combining this with the info from HWinfo1059101478_Screenshot2023-01-03210557.thumb.png.165e5ec474094c963c82e0a7e9a57050.png

It leads me to believe that we need : 

Processor
     P-core Voltage Offset | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x1E0, Size: 0x2
          Min: 0x0, Max: 0x3E8, Step: 0x1
                                                                                                                        Processor
     Offset Prefix | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x1E2, Size: 0x1
          +: 0x0 (default)
          -: 0x1

Ring Voltage Offset | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x1EC, Size: 0x2
                                                                                                                        Ring
     Offset Prefix | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x1EE, Size: 0x1

E-core L2 Voltage Offset | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x2B2, Size: 0x2
                                                                                                                        E-core L2 Configurations
     Offset Prefix | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x2B4, Size: 0x1

IFR_Formatted_Precision_7770.txt

11 hours ago, jorgeregula said:

Has anyone already tried undervolting by changing settings in the BIOS NVRAM?

i have tried without much success, also note that not all options and their values are exposed for editing,

40 minutes ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

i have tried without much success, also note that not all options and their values are exposed for editing,

@jorgeregula

Please also make sure you have "Overclocking Feature" enabled as all sub menu options are not applied (undervolting or modifying core ratio limits, etc) unless that is the case. Note this is different than the "Overclocking Lock" in the PCH submenu. I can shoot a quick video on the MSI GE77 to show why if it help visualize it.

OverClocking Performance Menu

OverClocking Feature | VarStore: CpuSetup, VarOffset: 0x1D9, Size: 0x1
          Disabled: 0x0 (default)
          Enabled: 0x1

Clevo X170SM - 10900K, 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17, 4TB WD SN850X, RTX 3080 mobile, 17.3 inch FHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Clevo X370SNW - 13900HX, 64GB DDR5-5600 CL40, 4TB Samsung 990 Pro, RTX 4090 mobile, 17.3 inch UHD 144hz, System76 open source firmware, Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Hi all

Can someone enlighten me how to install Windows 11 on my 7770?

I want to make a dual boot system - one for work, and another for myself.

-Just bought WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe, put it in slot 0, instead of Kioxia supplied drive, which I moved to slot 1, from which Laptop boots OK. I disabled that slot as to not f*** up my work OS
- WD drive is visible from BIOS, all is good there. 
- Downloaded Media creation tool from MS, created bootable USB. However, when I put it into any of the USB Slots, and press either F2 or F12, I cant get either get into boot menu or the BIOS. It gets either stuck, or constantly reboots. Removing the flash drive restores access. I installed OS from the same flash drive 3 days ago, so it is working as it should. 

- Next i tried creating image on the SD card, from which I am able to boot (selected that option in the BIOS), and start installation... But I get only until the step where I would need to choose the SSD on which to install. Annoyingly, it is not visible there. Setup asks for drivers at the "select the driver to install" menu.

- I dug a bit, and it seems that intel rapid storage drivers are needed. Downloaded those from Intel website, put them on the flash drive, tried to install them - no luck. They do not seem to be compatible. When selected, it tries to install them, no luck.

- Then I made a bootable recovery on the same card using Dell's OS Recovery Tool.  Managed to boot and got to the screen when it says it will restart after I make my choice, but next button is grayed out... I'm guessing it does not see the OS that needs repairing

- I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone help?  I'm desperate 🤬

Preferably I would like a clean install without Dell bloatware. Thanks in advance

On 1/2/2023 at 10:48 PM, MyPC8MyBrain said:

i didn't use my secret sauce when running benches on the 7770 (i did it with the 7670)
the 7770 was benched right on my desk with 74c ambient temps and a 240w brick,

i only applied undervolt setting which i posted few pages back,
my current 7770 is also running with stock paste atm,

the rest is just win11 service and application tuning,

as it is 3DMARK score is now 13500 with unlocked dGpu, I'm pretty sure from here I can easily squeeze additional 5%-10% with LM TIM, 330w brick, and little secret sauce,

Would be interesting to know your max wattage during your 26K CR23 runs.

For some reasons there seems to be a rather wide range of efficiency with these CPUs with some CPUs easily consuming 15 or even 20% more power than others. Getting up to 26K and beyond on a limited power budget may depend very much on a user hitting the silicon lottery. whereas other may only end up with lesser results at the same power level. Makes a big dfifference for thermal throttling if one achieves those 26K scores with 140, 160 or 170W.

53 minutes ago, TheVlad said:

- I dug a bit, and it seems that intel rapid storage drivers are needed. Downloaded those from Intel website, put them on the flash drive, tried to install them - no luck. They do not seem to be compatible. When selected, it tries to install them, no luck.

You need the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from Dell.  The generic package from Intel's web site does not work with newer Dell systems.  Go to dell.com/support and find the RST package that applies to your model.  Extract it and find the "f6flpy" folder -- that contains the driver files for Windows setup.

Alternatively, you can go to BIOS setup and switch the disk controller mode from "RAID" to "AHCI/NVMe" (if you do not plan to use a RAID array).  Then Windows setup will be able to find the drives without an extra driver needed.

Note that the existing Windows install will not boot after switching the disk controller mode unless you take extra steps.

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

23 minutes ago, Aaron44126 said:

You need the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from Dell.  The generic package from Intel's web site does not work with newer Dell systems.  Go to dell.com/support and find the RST package that applies to your model.  Extract it and find the "f6flpy" folder -- that contains the driver files for Windows setup.

Alternatively, you can go to BIOS setup and switch the disk controller mode from "RAID" to "AHCI/NVMe" (if you do not plan to use a RAID array).  Then Windows setup will be able to find the drives without an extra driver needed.

Note that the existing Windows install will not boot after switching the disk controller mode unless you take extra steps.

Thanks Aaron,

Just tried with the Dell drivers from the page:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-si/product-support/servicetag/0-ZVhHaWdQdkVrYm1uUk1Qd3FKM1liZz090/drivers

I Downloaded "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Application", and extracted it to the flash drive (19.2.1.1006, A02). But the installation wizard does not recognise them. When I click "hide drivers of unsupported hardware", I do not get any to select. When I untick it, I get 3 files. Tried to install all 3, they failed.

AHCI/NVMe was already selected in BIOS.

But I tried all 3 options available - no luck. 

If anyone managed to get Windows 11 installed, I would appreciate a link to the appropriate drivers.

47 minutes ago, TheVlad said:

I Downloaded "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Application", and extracted it to the flash drive (19.2.1.1006, A02). But the installation wizard does not recognise them. When I click "hide drivers of unsupported hardware", I do not get any to select. When I untick it, I get 3 files. Tried to install all 3, they failed.

Huh.  The Intel RST driver is only required if the system is set to "RAID" mode (which is the default setting from the factory, even if you didn't include any RAID arrays in your build).  I didn't have any issues getting that driver to load on Windows 10.  (I've only used the stock Windows 11 image from Dell, I have not tried to install it myself.)

I can't speculate as to why Windows setup would not be able to see the drives if the system is set to AHCI/NVMe mode.  I've never encountered that before .....

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

23 hours ago, jorgeregula said:

It leads me to believe that we need : 

you also need the presets to set each parameter value to +/- first (its somewhere in there too),

still need... parameter to set clocks, iccmax values, and cache ratio,
PL1/2/4 are exposed and can be configured manually,

8 hours ago, TheVlad said:

Can someone enlighten me how to install Windows 11 on my 7770

no issues what so ever here setting up win11 on 7770, 
also on AHCI and added +3 Samsung M.2, no driver was required during setup,

you may encounter some security related issues etc. if you activated them in bios or trying to prevent usb access etc., these option are there if one wanted to activate them, make sure you didn't activate an option/feature that's doing what its intended,

6 hours ago, TheVlad said:

I Downloaded "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Application

i don't think intel rapid storage driver will be needed at that low level,
most likely the drive manufacturer should have the right driver for you to download if its not an OEM part,

8 hours ago, TheVlad said:

- I'm out of ideas.

don't assume the drive works as intended because its new, new drives can be defected too!

i did not manage to make one big Raid out of 3 SSDs and install win on it.

in the end i used one SSD as windows drive and have a Raid of 2 SSDs for Data.

i could install win on a 3 SSD Raid, but it would not boot after install. (tried really everything and used 2 days ..)

On 12/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, Aaron44126 said:

Now three times in the last two weeks the system has unexpectedly crashed when I was not using it.  It's been super stable before that.  I have three different BSODs with nothing in common between them.  I'm generally cautious about making system changes so I don't have much to point to.  I am suspecting maybe the 1.8.0 BIOS update?

Got another BSOD after clearing the NVRAM.  I'm now pretty sure that it is storage related.  (I got one BSOD from the BitLocker driver, one from the ReFS file system driver, ...)  Since I didn't start getting these until after the 1.8.0 BIOS update, I am now rolling back to 1.7.1 and I will see if the issue persists.

Other things I can think of:

• Intel RST doesn't like my 8TB drives and I'll have to disable RAID and use AHCI/NVMe mode.  (...A pain; I'll have to migrate all of my data off of the RAID array, set up Storage Spaces, and move it back.)  It wouldn't be the first time someone has had issue with Intel RST running drives with "higher-than-spec'ed" capacity.
  • ...Maybe one of my 8TB drives is actually flaky and I'll have to have it replaced.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

7 hours ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

you may encounter some security related issues etc. if you activated them in bios or trying to prevent usb access etc., these option are there if one wanted to activate them, make sure you didn't activate an option/feature that's doing what its intended,

i don't think intel rapid storage driver will be needed at that low level,
most likely the drive manufacturer should have the right driver for you to download if its not an OEM part,

don't assume the drive works as intended because its new, new drives can be defected too!

Thanks for the feedback in relation to your experience. In short:
- There is most likely some security feature that I missed, judging by not being able to boot past the POST screen at all with any flash drive attached. However I went point by point in BIOS, and could not find it. I saw and ticked the option to boot from SD card, Which I am using.
- WD does not have drivers on their website 😞
- Drive is perfectly visible in BIOS; so I reckon that at least it should be visible to the OS installer, even if it is not 100% working.

- I tried to follow instructions from this video, as I have exact same issue, but no luck:

12 hours ago, Aaron44126 said:

Huh.  The Intel RST driver is only required if the system is set to "RAID" mode (which is the default setting from the factory, even if you didn't include any RAID arrays in your build).  I didn't have any issues getting that driver to load on Windows 10.  (I've only used the stock Windows 11 image from Dell, I have not tried to install it myself.)

I can't speculate as to why Windows setup would not be able to see the drives if the system is set to AHCI/NVMe mode.  I've never encountered that before .....

- My Laptop came from my employer. Don't know, maybe they changed it...

Anyway, I have attached some photos. Hoping someone will take several minutes to check them, and let me know if I missed anything. 

Cheers all!

BIOS - AHCI mode.jpg

BIOS - Drive Recognised.jpg

Win 11 install - no drive.jpg

Win 11 install - no driver.jpg

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

Since I didn't start getting these until after the 1.8.0 BIOS update, I am now rolling back to 1.7.1 and I will see if the issue persists.

Got another one very shortly after rolling the BIOS back, so that's not it.  (This one also blames refs.sys.)  I rolled back the December 2022 Windows Update (which I did at the same time as the BIOS update).

1 hour ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

Samsung Magician might be able to diagnose the drive (it should work with none Samsung drives as well)
https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/magician/

I'm working on switching from Intel RAID to Storage Spaces (so that I can disable Intel RST in BIOS) and if that doesn't fix it, I'll see about using tools like this to determine if I have a bad drive.

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, TheVlad said:

Drive is perfectly visible in BIOS

are you able to rule out basic functionality by running and formatting the drive on another system?

is it possible the that drive is encrypted or maybe was part of a raid array before?

1 hour ago, MyPC8MyBrain said:

are you able to rule out basic functionality by running and formatting the drive on another system?

is it possible the that drive is encrypted or maybe was part of a raid array before?

Drive is brand new 🙂

I can't access it from the already installed Win 10 since I don't have admin rights there... 

And I'm all out of place to put it in any other PC/laptop that is handy...

3 hours ago, TheVlad said:

Drive is brand new

not a guarantee it works! (especially being new)
you cant trust it until you can 😉

I'm sure you confirmed the usb drive is accessible and fully booting on other system,
i would try to confirm the m.2 drive with another system at this point before you start pulling hair,

I'd also check to see if it is visible from your working Windows system as a second drive.  Even if you don't have admin rights, you should be able to open Device Manager or Disk Management and confirm its presence.  (It will let you see devices, just not change anything.)  I'm at a loss as well, I wonder if there is some Dell BIOS security thing that has been put in place that prevents other drives from being recognized.

If you put the original SSD in there and go through Windows setup to the point of picking a drive to install on, does it show up as an option?  Or do you get no drives in the list in that case as well?

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

1 hour ago, Aaron44126 said:

I'd also check to see if it is visible from your working Windows system as a second drive.  Even if you don't have admin rights, you should be able to open Device Manager or Disk Management and confirm its presence.  (It will let you see devices, just not change anything.)  I'm at a loss as well, I wonder if there is some Dell BIOS security thing that has been put in place that prevents other drives from being recognized.

If you put the original SSD in there and go through Windows setup to the point of picking a drive to install on, does it show up as an option?  Or do you get no drives in the list in that case as well?

Maybe try re-enabling RST and check in the RST boot option ROM to see if any kind of array or JBOD entry is defined? I am unsure but it may interfere with using the same slot in AHCI mode.

11 minutes ago, win32asmguy said:

Maybe try re-enabling RST and check in the RST boot option ROM to see if any kind of array or JBOD entry is defined? I am unsure but it may interfere with using the same slot in AHCI mode.

The BIOS doesn't save anything with regards to the RAID arrays configured...  It is all handled by metadata stored on the drives themselves.  (You can move a RST array to another system just by moving the drives over and it will be automatically recognized.)

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi