NotebookTalk

New Desktop in da House!

cylix

32 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

I would suggest care with forcibly splitting threads. It might improve structure clarity, but would it help stimulate contributions given that some very active people here are  deeply libertarian types to put it mildly ;). Depends on the thread and the people I guess. One thing I would suggest based on my initial impressions would be to trim and declutter the structure to eliminate dead sections. For instance, you split one of the AW subsections into two - seemed totally unnecessary, and there is barely any activity in either one.

Not splitting or restructuring anything at all. Just providing some standard for Official threads and news so that they can be search-able. Giant mess threads become glorified chat boxes and are useless to anyone that isnt already actively watching it. 

Alienware as a whole is slow outside of the rPGA related sections.

49 minutes ago, Reciever said:

Giant mess threads become glorified chat boxes and are useless to anyone that isnt already actively watching it. 

Alienware as a whole is slow outside of the rPGA related sections.

Well, yes, but this is a bit of a social platform, right? To paraphrase Elon, a town square for geeks lol

Additionally, at least with NBR if you googled for info, you'd get correctly directed to a specific page, say 347/29851, so the amount of content in a single thread was not a show stopper. Clearly, the smaller a more focused the threads the better, it's just a question of how to get people to use the forum that way. I started a couple of specific threads and the response rate wasn't great, possibly because people don't have notifications set up on all the subsections - which goes back to the previous point: too many subforums.

My last impression from a visit to the AW area was that just one "Alienware" section would be enough. TBH even on NBR, most of it was a museum, with just one "2015+" section barely active.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

41 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Well, yes, but this is a bit of a social platform, right? To paraphrase Elon, a town square for geeks lol

Additionally, at least with NBR if you googled for info, you'd get correctly directed to a specific page, say 347/29851, so the amount of content in a single thread was not a show stopper. Clearly, the smaller a more focused the threads the better, it's just a question of how to get people to use the forum that way. I started a couple of specific threads and the response rate wasn't great, possibly because people don't have notifications set up on all the subsections - which goes back to the previous point: too many subforums.

My last impression from a visit to the AW area was that just one "Alienware" section would be enough. TBH even on NBR, most of it was a museum, with just one "2015+" section barely active.

Which is Why I dont intend to remove them altogether, where those groups exist, they will just have to be honest with the thread title. For news, having a compilation thread for it makes no sense at all functionally. For Official threads its just some standardization for thread titles and its OP's to a small degree. 

Initially we retained most of the forum structure and just letting time tell where we should curate, admittedly quite a bit of time has passed since we launched. We plan to move the ball forward in November as work begins to slow down.

• Thumb Up 2

7 hours ago, Reciever said:

I plan to institute some changes that will help alleviate that. Getting rid of compilation/mosh pit threads in certain areas will do wonders. I discovered that for one of our Official threads its top 3 search result when googling via the name of the system. Official NH55JNNQ started by @electrosoft

So, some standardization in certain areas will be key to elevating the forums in terms of search results.

mwahaha, i noticed the same when googling for the NH55JNNQ, patting myself on the back on building up that thread with brother @electrosoft and @win32asmguy. fun times!

3 hours ago, ryan said:

@cylixI want your autograph on my chest lol...your a living legend like @jaybee83.. you guys literally bought desktops at the best time in ten years

LOL i laughed at that comment hahaha. but ure right, boy am i glad i held out through the whole pandemic hardware scam and waited for Zen4 and RXT 4090, the amount of performance u can get nowadays for pretty good pricing is absolutely insane.

3 hours ago, Reciever said:

Which is Why I dont intend to remove them altogether, where those groups exist, they will just have to be honest with the thread title. For news, having a compilation thread for it makes no sense at all functionally. For Official threads its just some standardization for thread titles and its OP's to a small degree. 

Initially we retained most of the forum structure and just letting time tell where we should curate, admittedly quite a bit of time has passed since we launched. We plan to move the ball forward in November as work begins to slow down.

being honest with the thread title, eh? id imagine the benchmark thread would be like: coffeeshop / townsquare for ex-DTR geeks turned desktop-freaks 😄

• Thumb Up 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

2 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

mwahaha, i noticed the same when googling for the NH55JNNQ, patting myself on the back on building up that thread with brother @electrosoft and @win32asmguy. fun times!

LOL i laughed at that comment hahaha. but ure right, boy am i glad i held out through the whole pandemic hardware scam and waited for Zen4 and RXT 4090, the amount of performance u can get nowadays for pretty good pricing is absolutely insane.

being honest with the thread title, eh? id imagine the benchmark thread would be like: coffeeshop / townsquare for ex-DTR geeks turned desktop-freaks 😄

Haha, pretty much but that thread is good too. There is always a need to have a place to unwind and engage with others who enjoy similar hobbies. 

• Thumb Up 1

17 hours ago, ryan said:

@cylixI want your autograph on my chest lol...your a living legend like @jaybee83.. you guys literally bought desktops at the best time in ten years

Hahaha you made ne laugh loud 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Bump 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

so your coming from a laptop eh?

what is the main drawback to gaming on desktop now, like do you enjoy it the same way.  I personally don't move my laptop

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

9 hours ago, ryan said:

so your coming from a laptop eh?

what is the main drawback to gaming on desktop now, like do you enjoy it the same way.  I personally don't move my laptop

i found it weird not to be able to move my machine anymore, although i seldomly did anyways. i find it nice to have more space on the desk now, with only kb and mouse in front of me. but omg all that extra screen real estate going from 15 to 32 inches 😁

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the PC, so after 3 kits of DDR5,  right now i have some Kingston Renegade  Fury 6000 CL32 i decided to send back the Asus Mainboard..i still have some BSOD from time to time because of the memory. And all 3 kits are on the approved ASUS Mainboard memory list. This show how bad asus is at quality control. Also have the latest bios but  system is still not 100% stable.

The problem now is what board should i get.. Not many white MB there..Asus 670x Strix..but i dont trust asus anymore..

ASRock Taichi, still expensive i have a feeling ill have bios problems aswell with them.

There is the new Gigabyte b650 Aero that looks nice but its still not in stock anywhere..

LE: went with  MSI MPG B650 Edge WiFi Motherboard. Lets see how MSI is doing.

index.jpg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Confused 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

5 hours ago, cylix said:

Update on the PC, so after 3 kits of DDR5,  right now i have some Kingston Renegade  Fury 6000 CL32 i decided to send back the Asus Mainboard..i still have some BSOD from time to time because of the memory. And all 3 kits are on the approved ASUS Mainboard memory list. This show how bad asus is at quality control. Also have the latest bios but  system is still not 100% stable.

The problem now is what board should i get.. Not many white MB there..Asus 670x Strix..but i dont trust asus anymore..

ASRock Taichi, still expensive i have a feeling ill have bios problems aswell with them.

There is the new Gigabyte b650 Aero that looks nice but its still not in stock anywhere..

LE: went with  MSI MPG B650 Edge WiFi Motherboard. Lets see how MSI is doing.

index.jpg

huh? wait what? u went through multiple kits and all errored out on the mobo? more details pls.

have u tried playing with IMC / DIMM voltages? most of the time, cant just straight up set XMP and go, RAM is always finicky that way...

9 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

huh? wait what? u went through multiple kits and all errored out on the mobo? more details pls.

have u tried playing with IMC / DIMM voltages? most of the time, cant just straight up set XMP and go, RAM is always finicky that way...

Err? You should be able to, especially if it's on the approved list. Diverging from the XMP spec and playing around with voltages is more of a gamble, as common sense would dictate. Anyway, DDR5 is terribly sensitive and hard to achieve stable OC with in my experience, especially the larger kits.

@cylixMy question is: what's the lowest stable setting that works? If nothing does, especially across multiple kits then obviously the board is bad. Get an MSI or an EVGA and return/RMA this. I was looking at the Gigabyte Aero and it def looked like a subpar performer in the RAM OC department. Just look at their max supported OC and approved memory kit list.

Edit: also make sure the bluescreens are not due to something else, CPU OC or UV could be two reasons obviously.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

2 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

Err? You should be able to, especially if it's on the approved list. Diverging from the XMP spec and playing around with voltages is more of a gamble, as common sense would dictate. Anyway, DDR5 is terribly sensitive and hard to achieve stable OC with in my experience, especially the larger kits.

@cylixMy question is: what's the lowest stable setting that works? If nothing does, especially across multiple kits then obviously the board is bad. Get an MSI or an EVGA. I was looking at the Gigabyte Aero and it def looked like a subpar performer in the RAM OC department. Just look at their max supported OC and approved memory kit list.

so far ive always had the experience that manual tuning takes u much further than setting XMP (which most of the times doesnt work as intended lulz). just too many variables in mobo, dimm quality / temps and cpu imc capabilities to be able and expect XMP to just "work" (by XMP i also include EXPO, of course).

and yep, id also tune it down step by step and see how far he could get. then take it from the back up manually including higher voltages and maybe also better temps on the DIMMs.

• Thumb Up 1

7 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

so far ive always had the experience that manual tuning takes u much further than setting XMP (which most of the times doesnt work as intended lulz). just too many variables in mobo, dimm quality / temps and cpu imc capabilities to be able and expect XMP to just "work" (by XMP i also include EXPO, of course).

and yep, id also tune it down step by step and see how far he could get. then take it from the back up manually including higher voltages and maybe also better temps on the DIMMs.

I am not sure that experience pre DDR5 carries over. This is extremely finicky. Also, the definition of OC success depends on the criteria. A stable couple of h of benchmarking and gaming is pretty low ceiling, I could clock my RAM 400MHz higher and it would likely be stable enough for that.  Long term OC stability is much tougher to achieve. Maybe it's different with AMD, and could well depend on the mobo and the kits. Early adopters land.

Fun fact, OCability of my RAM degraded after cooler installation, probably co-incidental, but who knows with this RAM.

-- Max Tegmark

Yeah so went through 3 kits and every time comes a bsod from time to time. The badest was the first kingston but with the original bios.. That was giving bsod from the start.. Sold it and got the g.skill 6000 cl36, with the latest bios was stable almost but giving bsods from thin air.. Could game and aida benchmarks and no bsod then open explorer or firefox and bsod.. This with both expo profile 1 and 2.

So i returned them and for the same money got the the kingstom 6000 cl 32 hynix m die. The g.skill was samsung die.

With the new Kingston the same stuff bsod from time to time. I increased voltage from 1. 35 to 1.365 and did stress stest with aida all good. Stayed like that for 1 day. Then bsod again. Now im am at 1.375 voltage and is stable for 1 day. But i decided to return it.

You  pay some money and expect to work like intended with the standard settings..

I understand that 1 kit is not working, it happens but with 3 and all 3 kits are on the approved asus list.. This tell me the board is faulty, but there are tons of other people who have problems with asus am5 boards..

The bios is not good enough, so no asus for me until the new refresh and when they work on their bios more.

@Etern4l yes i went with msi b650 edge wifi. Lets see how it performs.

I almost got the x670 aours master but saw its an eatx and i cannot have the gpu vertical with eatx boards in the case, so as x670 taichi is also out of the question because its an eatx aswell.

• Thumb Up 1

6 hours ago, cylix said:

Yeah so went through 3 kits and every time comes a bsod from time to time. The badest was the first kingston but with the original bios.. That was giving bsod from the start.. Sold it and got the g.skill 6000 cl36, with the latest bios was stable almost but giving bsods from thin air.. Could game and aida benchmarks and no bsod then open explorer or firefox5 and bsod.. This with both expo profile 1 and 2..So i returned then and for the same money got the the kingstom 6000 cl 32 hynix m die. The g.skill was samsung.  With the hynix the same stuff bsod from time to time. I increased voltage from 1. 35 to 1.365 and did stress stest with aida all good. Stayed like that for 1 day. Then bsod again. Now im am at 1.375 voltage and is stable for 1 day. But i decided to return it.  Pay some money and expect to work like intended with the standard settings.. I understand that 1 kit is not working, it happens but with 3 and all 3 kits are on the approved asus list.. This tell me the board is faulty, but there are tons of other people who have problems with asus am5 boards.. The bios is not good enough.

@Etern4l yes i went with msi b650 edge wifi. Lets see how it performs. I almost got the x670 aours master but saw its an eatx and i cannot have the gpu vertical with eatx boards in the case, so as x670 taichi is also out of the question because its an eatx aswell.

Good luck with the new board, sounds like  it should help. My experience with DDR5 overvolting has been very negative. An apparent success for a day or two followed by crashes. When that happened, I just had to return to XMP and actually step down the timings a notch to stabilise it. This is with 32GB Fury Beast modules, so I guess particularly hard. 

• Thumb Up 1

-- Max Tegmark

19 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I am not sure that experience pre DDR5 carries over. This is extremely finicky. Also, the definition of OC success depends on the criteria. A stable couple of h of benchmarking and gaming is pretty low ceiling, I could clock my RAM 400MHz higher and it would likely be stable enough for that.  Long term OC stability is much tougher to achieve. Maybe it's different with AMD, and could well depend on the mobo and the kits. Early adopters land.

Fun fact, OCability of my RAM degraded after cooler installation, probably co-incidental, but who knows with this RAM.

oh absolutely, this aint my first rodeo into the RAM tuning foray 😄 its by far the most fincky component to tackle vs. GPU (pretty straightforward and quick) and CPU (medium complex and more time consuming, but now with Zen 4 it gets more complex vs. Intel). also takes the most time to determine true everyday stability. one needs to include long idle and low load tests, as well, and do that over the course of days to weeks. and ure right, my experiences so far are just limited to pre-DDR5, havent done much tuning yet on my AM5 system.

18 hours ago, cylix said:

Yeah so went through 3 kits and every time comes a bsod from time to time. The badest was the first kingston but with the original bios.. That was giving bsod from the start.. Sold it and got the g.skill 6000 cl36, with the latest bios was stable almost but giving bsods from thin air.. Could game and aida benchmarks and no bsod then open explorer or firefox and bsod.. This with both expo profile 1 and 2.

So i returned them and for the same money got the the kingstom 6000 cl 32 hynix m die. The g.skill was samsung die.

With the new Kingston the same stuff bsod from time to time. I increased voltage from 1. 35 to 1.365 and did stress stest with aida all good. Stayed like that for 1 day. Then bsod again. Now im am at 1.375 voltage and is stable for 1 day. But i decided to return it.

You  pay some money and expect to work like intended with the standard settings..

I understand that 1 kit is not working, it happens but with 3 and all 3 kits are on the approved asus list.. This tell me the board is faulty, but there are tons of other people who have problems with asus am5 boards..

The bios is not good enough, so no asus for me until the new refresh and when they work on their bios more.

@Etern4l yes i went with msi b650 edge wifi. Lets see how it performs.

I almost got the x670 aours master but saw its an eatx and i cannot have the gpu vertical with eatx boards in the case, so as x670 taichi is also out of the question because its an eatx aswell.

hmmmm....i sure hope this was due to the board and has nothing to do with your cpu. best to check the pads on the underside, see if theres anything iffy going on. keep us updated on this bud!

so far no issues here on the RAM front, just set the EXPO profile (6600), dialed it down to 6000 and off i went for daily stability. currently still tuning the GPU, so havent gotten around to CPU and RAM yet. figured id start with the most expensive component and then work my way down haha 😛 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

1 hour ago, jaybee83 said:

oh absolutely, this aint my first rodeo into the RAM tuning foray 😄 its by far the most fincky component to tackle vs. GPU (pretty straightforward and quick) and CPU (medium complex and more time consuming, but now with Zen 4 it gets more complex vs. Intel). also takes the most time to determine true everyday stability. one needs to include long idle and low load tests, as well, and do that over the course of days to weeks. and ure right, my experiences so far are just limited to pre-DDR5, havent done much tuning yet on my AM5 system.

hmmmm....i sure hope this was due to the board and has nothing to do with your cpu. best to check the pads on the underside, see if theres anything iffy going on. keep us updated on this bud!

so far no issues here on the RAM front, just set the EXPO profile (6600), dialed it down to 6000 and off i went for daily stability. currently still tuning the GPU, so havent gotten around to CPU and RAM yet. figured id start with the most expensive component and then work my way down haha 😛 

What pads do you mean?

I think is the board, got the same symptomes like a lot of people on reddit rocking asus mainboards. Maybe is a combination of bad boards and still a young bios.  With time maybe it will be resolved but i am almost at my 30 days return guarantee so is best i just send it back without complication instead of doing it later trough the RMA process.

The MSI board will arrive tommorow and then il see if the problems are still there

• Thumb Up 1

16 hours ago, cylix said:

What pads do you mean?

I think is the board, got the same symptomes like a lot of people on reddit rocking asus mainboards. Maybe is a combination of bad boards and still a young bios.  With time maybe it will be resolved but i am almost at my 30 days return guarantee so is best i just send it back without complication instead of doing it later trough the RMA process.

The MSI board will arrive tommorow and then il see if the problems are still there

i was referring to the golden contact pads of the cpu. same for the pins in the socket. fingers crossed for you bud that the MSI board helps 🙂 

as for Asus Bios, new one just got released for my mobo:

image.png.5b4e349061fff771d864d45065ff9f7e.png

havent flashed yet but planning to. changelog sounds promising. i already know i can reach 6400 on the RAM but havent finetuned it yet. curious to see if 6600 or above will be possible in the future (but then only in "Gear 2" mode like the Intel CPUs reaching 7200+).

• Thumb Up 1

I installed the MSI board today, got the latest bios installed and i put the xmp expo profile 1. All is working fine until now.

No Bsod or instabilty.

Also after memory training the boot time is a little quicker as the Asus was, maybe 3 5 sec .

One problem was the shitiest AI Suite Software from ASUS, jesus you cant uninstall the shit easy..had to use Revo and purge the shit out of every registry!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 1

1 hour ago, cylix said:

I installed the MSI board today, got the latest bios installed and i put the xmp expo profile 1. All is working fine until now.

No Bsod or instabilty.

Also after memory training the boot time is a little quicker as the Asus was, maybe 3 5 sec .

One problem was the shitiest AI Suite Software from ASUS, jesus you cant uninstall the shit easy..had to use Revo and purge the shit out of every registry!

glad to hear bud! keep an eye out for instabilities, might take a while to be sure. 

and yeah, that Asus cancerware is complete garbage. insane how deeply it actually penetrates the OS...almost impossible to get rid of it again.

• Thumb Up 1

• 1 month later...

Got my Zotac 4090 amp extreme airo and o boy i didnt expect to be this big in real life.. Its huge.. Now i dont think it will fit in the upright position 🤔

Also got the Corsair and a Fasgear cable to replace the ugly firehazard nvidia adapter.

The corsair looks nice and only requires 2 plugs for the 600w but the fasgear looks more maleabile to bend..

IMG-20221229-WA0011.jpg

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

Yeah its ridiculous what for dimensions they have.. Need a new case for them.. Which is crazy if you want a small factor or a medium case.. They went overboard with them, i mean the cooling is crazy that they stay at 60 70 degrees for such power but still i would have liked a smaller card but with 80 degrees Celsius temperatures..

• Bump 1

AAAANNDD its fits😅

Like a glove haha, also the corsair cable is small enough that it fits straight and doesnt band that bad. Have to work like this until i get  a 90 degree adapter from cable mod 👍

IMG-20221229-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20221229-WA0013.jpg

• Thumb Up 3