NotebookTalk

Clevo N960Kx (N960KR) Thread - BIOS Unlock, cooling mods, etc.

kaz26

The vBIOS (version: 94.04.3F.00.83) can used can be downloaded directly from the following link. This is the vBIOS I am currently using. It was an improvement over the stock vBIOS.

* Flash with NVFLASH ver. 5.792.0 using the --protectoff command.

hhttps://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/231706/Clevo.RTX3070.8192.210104.rom

Note to mods:
I'm not sure what the rules or etiquette are for posting links here. If I'm doing something wrong, just let me know and I will be sure to not do it again. I am not trying to be a rule breaker. 

_ _GPUZ.gif

Laptops:
1. Clevo P750DM-G: Z170 chipset, Intel 6700K cpu, Quadro P4200 gpu, 64GB HyperX DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Prema BIOS, modded cooling.
2. Clevo N960KR: H570 chipset, Intel 11700K cpu, RTX 3070 gpu, 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000MHz RAM. Unlocked BIOS, additional mods in progress.

I have encountered a new problem with this laptop. The DC jack connected to the motherboard is failing. It melted the plug that connects to it as well as the plastic case around it. I'm not sure what the cause of the failure is. Perhaps it wasn't designed to handle the amount of current that is running through it. I am currently working on a rather large 3D design project and regularly reach 280W which is 14.35A current at 19.5v. I'm going to try and find a jack that can handle at least 20A. I might need to also get a different power supply for that. 

If anyone has advice on this situation, I will greatly appreciate it. 

Laptops:
1. Clevo P750DM-G: Z170 chipset, Intel 6700K cpu, Quadro P4200 gpu, 64GB HyperX DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Prema BIOS, modded cooling.
2. Clevo N960KR: H570 chipset, Intel 11700K cpu, RTX 3070 gpu, 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000MHz RAM. Unlocked BIOS, additional mods in progress.

19 hours ago, kaz26 said:

I have encountered a new problem with this laptop. The DC jack connected to the motherboard is failing. It melted the plug that connects to it as well as the plastic case around it. I'm not sure what the cause of the failure is. Perhaps it wasn't designed to handle the amount of current that is running through it. I am currently working on a rather large 3D design project and regularly reach 280W which is 14.35A current at 19.5v. I'm going to try and find a jack that can handle at least 20A. I might need to also get a different power supply for that. 

If anyone has advice on this situation, I will greatly appreciate it. 

i think the plastic case are not designed to hold more than the standart ampere rate, the dc jack might be able to hold that heat. another idea is to mod the port to not to "touch" the plastic case.

You are probably right with this statement @blackrtx88. It seems that the plastic melted, which caused the resistance to go up, leading to more heat and more melting.

Since my backup laptop (P750DM-g w/6700k and quadro p4200) is not capable of handling the size and complexity of my current job, I need to get this N960KR back up and running ASAP, so I ordered the direct replacement part for simplicity. If the new plug can last even a few months before failing again, that will be fine. I haven't been running the CPU undervolted, so I will do that and also reduce the turbo speed. I don't need the CPU to run at max for the work I do. 

I have a feeling that the plug itself does not have a large enough diameter circuitry to handle the power I am pulling through it. As a result, it overheated and failed prematurely. 

When you compare this plug to the plug of more powerful Clevo laptops, it can be seen that there is only one thick gauge central B+ wire compared to the two B+ and two Negative thick gauge wires of the Clevo P750tm1 that was designed for much higher current. In the future, I might replace this plug with a Clevo 4 pin DC jack. It won't be a simply replacement though and I need this replacement to be simple.

Once I get a proper secondary laptop that can handle my workload, I will continue modding this one. This laptop has some decent potential, but simply wasn't designed to handle more than 230W of power running through it. 

_ _ _ _ _ 
TLDR:

I ordered a direct replacement part from the zon and it should arrive on April 9. I will document the replacement process and post it here. From what I have read, the board needs to be heated with hot air, and while the hot air is on the part, it can then be soldered with an iron. If this new part also fails, I will then replace it with a 4-pin Clevo jack, or other high current design. 

• Thumb Up 2

Laptops:

Has anyone also have problems with the HDMI Port? My port doesn’t recognize any HDMI Cable. That’s the first time I try to connect it to an external TV. I‘m still on the unlocked Bios. Maybe that’s the problem?

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

@razor0601What have you tried so far?  I assume you went into NVIDIA control panel and tried assigning the screen with windows key + P. Perhaps something in the BIOS needs to be enabled. I will try it in the next day or two and let you know what happens. I also received the new charging port and plan to swap it out soon, maybe tomorrow. 

Laptops:

I successfully replaced the charging jack with the original one and it is now charging without getting hot. 

I do not recommend that anyone tries this on their own unless they have alot of soldering experience. It is worth it to pay $100 to have this done.  It requires hot air with a soldering iron and wasn't easy. I will post images later. I used a combination of kapton tape and thick aluminum ducting tape to protect the surrounding components, clips, etc. 

EDIT:
I tested the HDMI port and it worked perfectly. I didn't even have to change anything, it just worked when I plugged it in. @razor0601
One thing I would recommend is to also test the cable. I have had several HDMI cables go bad. Better quality cables will last a long time, but lower quality cables die fairly easily with bending. 

• Thumb Up 2

Laptops:

Ok thanks, I will try another Cable and if that doesn’t work I will go back to the original Bios. Then I hope it work again, otherwise I contact the seller. 

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

On 3/23/2023 at 7:52 AM, Snoopk88 said:

Ok so i am not really sure i am able to do that 

i have an i5 11500 CPU ( i think it is locked and i can't change anything on it )

also in Bios if i go to the overclocking option it shows disabled

i am not even able to change anything in MSI afterburner for the GPU

scrn 2.jpg

scrn 3.png

unlock undervolt cpu in bios
->power & performance

->cpu - power

->cpu lock config

->overclocking lock set to disabled

Screenshot 2023-04-15 182854.png

Hello! I have a laptop Hasee TX9-CA5DP (similar to CLEVO N960KR) i5 10400 + rtx 3070

It has an unlocked bios v1.07.14 with EC 1.07.02

I want to reflash vbios with a limit of 140w,
currently stock: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/236921/23692
reflash to: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/231706/clevo-rtx3070-8192-210104 (they have the same device id)
I am using NV Flash 5.804.0

I'm flashing through cmd, there are no errors, the screen does not turn off during the firmware, the firmware takes 1-2 seconds (although it should be about 10-30 seconds), after rebooting the firmware remains stock.

I tried to install another vbios but there is an error due to device id incompatibility. I also tried other versions of NVFlash but then it does not see the video card. In cmd also tried with "--protectoff", the result is the same.
Can you please tell me what could be the problem?

version bios.jpg

gpu-z 3070.png

cmd.png

@YAR1307 I used NVFLASH ver. 5.792.00 with the --protectoff command and it worked. If that doesn't work, let me know and I will try to see what it was that I did to make it work. 

Laptops:

@kaz26 I tried to flash vbios with NVFlash version 5.792.0, there are two versions of NVFlash, for 32 and 64 bit systems, I have 64 bit windows. I also used --protectoff.

When I flash via nvflash64 I get an error (that I'm using the 32-bit version of the program on 64-bit windows).
nvflash32 works without errors, but the result hasn't changed since my last post. When flashing, the screen does not blink, the firmware takes 1-2 seconds, after the firmware, the old and new versions of vbios are not displayed in cmd, after rebooting the vbios, a drain remains.

Maybe try flashing vbios via DOS?

cmd.jpg

@YAR1307 That's an odd problem. I will have to think about this. 

@DNXK, Below is a description of the location of Secure Boot options, but I think you will need to unlock the BIOS if you do not yet have access to Clevo SETUP ITEM CONFIG Settings. 
1.) Select the Advanced tab on the left
2.) Select "Clevo SETUP ITEMS CONFIG Setttings" near the top

3.) Scroll down about 80% of the way to the bottom and you'll see the Secure Boot options.
* I will post images of it to help further. 

1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Laptops:

I sent you a link to download the same version of nvflash that I used. Lets try to rule out some things and go from there. 

Laptops:

i want to undervolt my i7 11700 from bios as throttlestop won't let me do it. but to unlock the bios for undervolt cpu, afraid it will fail to black screen and require to reflash the bios via hardware, as at the moment i dont have the tools like ch341a (can this used to flash the clevo bios?). 

any advice what version bios that safe to unlock for undervolt the cpu? 

@kaz26 how it did go? the new charging jack, can it hold the heat from K cpu without issue? i'm planning to up my cpu to 11900K if it can, just it seem not worth it the upgrade from i7 11700, what do you think? 

I personally have not found the reason for the black screen issue caused by the BIOS. It may or may not be due to unlocking it. It is possible it was caused by certain settings or perhaps a combination of settings in the advanced BIOS menu. If you do not at least know someone who can help you program the BIOS externally, then I cannot recommend unlocking it. The reason I say this is because you might mess with settings that cause the problem and then you will have an unusable system until the chip is flashed externally.

I looked at the CH341A supported chips list and it does not appear to have support for the MX25L25673GZ41-08G, which is the chip that is used to store the BIOS on the Clevo N960Kx (N960KR). The device I used to program this chip was a TL866a Plus. However, the real challenge comes from the fact that this chip is a WSON8 package rather than a traditional SOIC8, meaning it is not easy to simply use a chip test clip. Instead, in circuit programming must be done with a pogo probe that has specs to match a WSON8 package, like the picture I will post below. It should also be known that it is not an easy tool to use, as it must be held in place the entire time the chip is being written or read. 

The alternative to this is to have someone desolder the chip, program it, then solder it back on. With this board in particular, desoldering the chip will require advanced skills since there are some very small component close to it. I don't feel a need to go into any further details on this. 

TLDR: I believe that unlocking the BIOS is required in order to undervolt the CPU and I do not recommend trying to unlock the BIOS and undervolt this machine without atleast knowing someone who can reprogram the BIOS externally.  DNXK outlined the path in the unlocked BIOS to allow undervolting, for those brave enough to try it. I personally did this without problem, but I cannot verify if this had anything to do with the BIOS anomaly that resulted in the blank screen issue. 

image.png.a081f1c11eaf2d39ade1ba053a8dd2e6.png

MX chip wson8 package info.jpeg

• Like 1

Laptops:

14 hours ago, YAR1307 said:

@kaz26 I tried to flash vbios with NVFlash version 5.792.0, there are two versions of NVFlash, for 32 and 64 bit systems, I have 64 bit windows. I also used --protectoff.

When I flash via nvflash64 I get an error (that I'm using the 32-bit version of the program on 64-bit windows).
nvflash32 works without errors, but the result hasn't changed since my last post. When flashing, the screen does not blink, the firmware takes 1-2 seconds, after the firmware, the old and new versions of vbios are not displayed in cmd, after rebooting the vbios, a drain remains.

Maybe try flashing vbios via DOS?

cmd.jpg

13 hours ago, kaz26 said:

@YAR1307 That's an odd problem. I will have to think about this. 

@DNXK, Below is a description of the location of Secure Boot options, but I think you will need to unlock the BIOS if you do not yet have access to Clevo SETUP ITEM CONFIG Settings. 
1.) Select the Advanced tab on the left
2.) Select "Clevo SETUP ITEMS CONFIG Setttings" near the top

3.) Scroll down about 80% of the way to the bottom and you'll see the Secure Boot options.
* I will post images of it to help further. 

1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

@YAR1307Did you try the new version NVFlash 5.804 from TechPowerUp? Btw i have 3 vBIOS with 130W/140W/150W, currently im using the 150W one, and so far no problems. If you want i can upload.

@kaz26 @DNXK There are Secure Boot options in the BIOS without unlocking. Press F2 when POSTing and choose Administer Secure Boot there instead of Setup Utility.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, pypy102 said:

@YAR1307Did you try the new version NVFlash 5.804 from TechPowerUp? BTW i have 3 BIOS with 130W/140W/150W, currently im using the 150W one, and so far no problems. If you want i can upload.

@kaz26 @DNXK There are Secure Boot options in the BIOS without unlocking. Press F2 when post and choose Administer Secure Boot there instead.

it's 150w for rtx3070 laptop? can i try it? currently i'm using vbios with 115w target. did you see change in performance with the 150w one?

7 hours ago, blackrtx88 said:

it's 150w for rtx3070 laptop? can i try it? currently i'm using vbios with 115w target. did you see change in performance with the 150w one?

Yes, I use Furmark and I see that the FPS has a little improvement compared to 115W, but easily get thermal throttling 87C limit after 2-3 minutes and it drops, even with maximum fan speed. I want to do the cooling mod like @kaz26did too but dont know how.

Btw @kaz26, i just did core voltage offset with -500mV to the CPU (i5-11500) and after restarting the laptop, the system POSTed with black screen and shut down after 30 seconds like yours.. You were reprograming the BIOS chip to recover right? Right now im removing the CMOS battery and repeatedly press the power button to drain the remaining energy.

11 minutes ago, pypy102 said:

Yes, I use Furmark and I see that the FPS has a little improvement compared to 115W, but easily get thermal throttling 87C limit after 2-3 minutes and it drops, even with maximum fan speed. I want to do the cooling mod like @kaz26did too but dont know how.

Btw @kaz26, i just did core voltage offset with -500mV to the CPU (i5-11500) and after restarting the laptop, the system POSTed with black screen and shut down after 30 seconds like yours.. You were reprograming the BIOS chip to recover right? Right now im removing the CMOS battery and repeatedly press the power button to drain the remaining energy.

i haven't done anything with the bios , don't want the system to fail into unuseable. but once i have the programer i will try to unlock the bios. 

you can try mod the case underneath the gpu fan, make a vent and use liquid metal thermal paste to drop the temp significant, so it wont be problem with the 150w vbios. interesting, can i try that 150w vbios? 

as for the cpu you can try repaste it with better thermal paste and use copper tape or duct tape at the end of the fan like the one @kaz26 mod. and try to lower the power limit if it's not the K version.

hope you can get it back soon. the worst you had to re-flash the bios with programer or go the shop to ask someone to re-flash it.

11 minutes ago, blackrtx88 said:

i haven't done anything with the bios , don't want the system to fail into unuseable. but once i have the programer i will try to unlock the bios. 

you can try mod the case underneath the gpu fan, make a vent and use liquid metal thermal paste to drop the temp significant, so it wont be problem with the 150w vbios. interesting, can i try that 150w vbios? 

as for the cpu you can try repaste it with better thermal paste and use copper tape or duct tape at the end of the fan like the one @kaz26 mod. and try to lower the power limit if it's not the K version.

hope you can get it back soon. the worst you had to re-flash the bios with programer or go the shop to ask someone to re-flash it.

Thank you so much, I will learn about it and try!
Here is the folder i've collected about this laptop so far, including the vBIOS. You can try, but remember to backup your vBIOS.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ObWv8_o2Oe8ExCh4955YgUzJr8B58f1o?usp=share_link

2 hours ago, blackrtx88 said:

I have done some venting, but I did it at the same time as the added heatsinks, so it's hard to say how much it contributed to the improvements I realized from each of them.

As far as liquid metal, everyone has their own preference, but I personally don't like using it anymore since it needs to be redone every 3 months or so in order to continue receiving the full benefits. It also alters the surface of the copper, erodes aluminum and is dangerous to use because it is electrically conductive. If any of this gets on the board components it can cause a short and damage the motherboard. I use Phobya Nanogrease Extreme and have been very pleased with the results. It has a rather high thermal conductivity for a thermal grease, spreads very nicely, but doesn't all squeeze out and it lasts a long time. 
If you are careful and don't mind the maintenance, liquid metal can lower temps a few degrees. 

2 hours ago, pypy102 said:

Thank you so much, I will learn about it and try!
Here is the folder i've collected about this laptop so far, including the vBIOS. You can try, but remember to backup your vBIOS.

Thank you, I will try the 150w vBIOS as well, I just need to get new adapters for my 330w power brick since they both melted due to the bad charging port. 

Is your system still not turning back on? If so, you will probably need to flash the BIOS externally. I was also messing with the voltage in BIOS when the issue occurred, but not immediately prior to it, so I do think it is related to the problem. 

What we need is a BIOS king to grace us with his presence on this matter and help with a reworked BIOS on this machine. There are definitely some weird quirks that need to be resolved. 

Laptops:

• kaz26 changed the title to Clevo N960Kx (N960KR) Thread - BIOS Unlock, cooling mods, etc.