NotebookTalk

Clevo N960Kx (N960KR) Thread - BIOS Unlock, cooling mods, etc.

kaz26

On 5/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, kaz26 said:

I'm still hoping for more information on the VRAM mod. 

If anyone else has done mods of any kind to their N960Kx, I'm sure all owners would like to see it. I still believe this machine has more potential that we have yet to realize. 

Recently Tom's Hardware posted VRAM mods of desktop graphics cards including a GeForce RTX 3060 and there is a YT video:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/modder-turns-3060-8gb-into-12gb

Here's another video (RTX 3070 16GB mod):

I am curious if the same resistors need to be used on the N960Kx. If so, where are they located?  Does anyone have a high res image of the motherboard on this laptop?

Laptops:
1. Clevo P750DM-G: Z170 chipset, Intel 6700K cpu, Quadro P4200 gpu, 64GB HyperX DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Prema BIOS, modded cooling.
2. Clevo N960KR: H570 chipset, Intel 11700K cpu, RTX 3070 gpu, 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000MHz RAM. Unlocked BIOS, additional mods in progress.

So you mean something like this? But that’s my 3060 version. 

BTW: I am back on original Bios and also 105w VBios. No changes, HDMI is still not working. Maybe DP, but I have no Adapter to check this.

CB7ED206-401A-4877-A72D-9847CC609BAE.jpeg

26331C2A-4F83-40F7-B7CE-949F2BD92D21.jpeg

5AF488B7-0DC9-4ABF-A389-CCB8AEDDF0D5.jpeg

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

• 3 weeks later...

You have two open spots for RAM. I'm curious to know if simply soldering RAM on there would work. 

What kind of troubleshooting have you done so far on the HDMI port? Also, have you tried any of your other display ports? Or even the USB-C port?

Laptops:
1. Clevo P750DM-G: Z170 chipset, Intel 6700K cpu, Quadro P4200 gpu, 64GB HyperX DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Prema BIOS, modded cooling.
2. Clevo N960KR: H570 chipset, Intel 11700K cpu, RTX 3070 gpu, 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000MHz RAM. Unlocked BIOS, additional mods in progress.

Hi, yes I think that could work with 2x Ram Pads extra. What partnumber is your RAM?

Yes I tried the mini-DP ports. And they are working. So now my Laptop is on the way to the Seller. Hopefully they can fix the issue with the HDMI port.

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just wanna share mod I had done with my N960 KR

I do drill some holes in back case area that cover the GPU fan like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.e9809014861daa8fb2ce333a98ae1b20.jpeg

and the result, the GPU temp stable at 76-77 C for 30 minutes playing god of war with all setting ultra except shadow high:

image.thumb.jpeg.87255509848c912f01c9ca41bfba6fbf.jpeg

note: 

1. replace CPU thermal paste (is a must)

2. no undervolt with CPU nor GPU

3. using laptop stand, no cooling pad

4. the CPU temp about 57-60 (I3 gen 10th)

Hope this can help you who are struggling with heat problem

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!
I would like to ask you for help.
I bought a Clevo N960Kx laptop. Compared to my old laptop (HP Omen) it has a much more yellowish tint. Is this normal? I tried to adjust it on it, without success. Is there a solution (within Bios or using some special program.)

What I tried:
Adjust the RGB hue via -Intel program. I could not find the perfect color harmony.
- I disabled motherboard video card within windows to make RTX3070 the primary. Unfortunately this didn't work either, it didn't want to use the NVIDIA card for this purpose for some reason, so the whole machine was slow.
-Different color temperature calibration tools.(For example fux.l) but the maximum temperature is only allowed up to 6500 in general, and this gives even more bulging,yellowish tint always.
-Win inside blue filter is off.

Thanks for your help! I just don't want to sell it because it is a very good machine and I don't know if this is normal for this model.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:47 AM, HieuHungHau said:

Hi i also have this laptop. I want to ask if this laptop model can support 64gb ram kit (32x2) because i checked in command prombt it only support 32gb. Im currently looking at the gskill ripjaw 32gb 3200mhz. Thankyou for your time.

Yes, it supports 2x32GB 3200MHz RAM. I have it by my own.

15 hours ago, Justin Robbins said:

Hello, I bought a Clevo x370snxg laptop. I love it, but the RAM is locked in at 5200. My ram is 5600.

I performed the bios modification process listed above, but I cannot see the new values in the bios.

The bios options appear masked. 

is there an option to unmask them?

Here is not an X370snxg Thread. This laptop uses only DDR4.

Fantastic! Your reply is just what i need now because the ram kit is on sale. Thankyou very much! My model have an i5-10400 and i intend to upgrade to 11th gen soon (I’m looking at an i9-11900 or 11900T. Do you think i could just slap the cpu on and it can recognize the chip or i have to tinker around the bios?

On 8/11/2023 at 4:50 PM, Yuki said:

Hello everyone!
I would like to ask you for help.
I bought a Clevo N960Kx laptop. Compared to my old laptop (HP Omen) it has a much more yellowish tint. Is this normal? I tried to adjust it on it, without success. Is there a solution (within Bios or using some special program.)

What I tried:
Adjust the RGB hue via -Intel program. I could not find the perfect color harmony.
- I disabled motherboard video card within windows to make RTX3070 the primary. Unfortunately this didn't work either, it didn't want to use the NVIDIA card for this purpose for some reason, so the whole machine was slow.
-Different color temperature calibration tools.(For example fux.l) but the maximum temperature is only allowed up to 6500 in general, and this gives even more bulging,yellowish tint always.
-Win inside blue filter is off.

Thanks for your help! I just don't want to sell it because it is a very good machine and I don't know if this is normal for this model.

can you post the screenshot? and compared to others too..?

On 8/20/2023 at 5:10 PM, HieuHungHau said:

Fantastic! Your reply is just what i need now because the ram kit is on sale. Thankyou very much! My model have an i5-10400 and i intend to upgrade to 11th gen soon (I’m looking at an i9-11900 or 11900T. Do you think i could just slap the cpu on and it can recognize the chip or i have to tinker around the bios?

It will work out of the box. No problem. 

@DavIT Did you do any before and after benchmarks or temperature readings by any chance? I dremeled out a few of those areas as well, but I could probably do more. I wonder why it was left like that to be honest. 

@HieuHungHau Yes, it supports 64GB without a problem. I covered this somewhere here. I tested several brands and found the Kingston HyperX 32GBx2 3200MHz to be the best performer among the brands I tried. There are a couple 64GB RAM sets out there that might have better performance, but it would be minimal gains for the large premium in price. 

@Yuki  My screen looked fine right out of the box. I used a color calibration device and the change was almost imperceptible. If your screen is very yellow, you might have a bad LCD. 

@Justin Robbins This is the wrong thread for that laptop. You will probably get better help by finding or starting a thread that pertains to the laptop model you own. With that said, if you enabled XMP profiles, and the RAM is still not running at the proper speed, you can try disabling fast boot. When fast boot is enabled on some BIOS, I have heard that it can skip loading XMP and therefore will not run at max speed. Also make sure that your motherboard and CPU can handle the speed you are trying to achieve.

Laptops:

@kaz26 yes before I do the vents, the GPU temp reach 86 C degree, I think it should be more than 86 C if not limited at 87 C - based on hwinfo

Update: after replace GPU's stock thermal paste with noctua nt H1 and run tron script to debloat, the GPU max temp reach 72 C degree.

I also get some ceramic heatsinks, planned to place on southbridge chipset and around CPU and GPU heatsink.

I will update the result later

about this: " I wonder why it was left like that to be honest." 

I had search about clevo's history, their products known well around their country used as crypto mining, maybe that is the reason they "limit" the GPU temp.. just my assumption 

Edited by DavIT
more comment

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have N960Kx laptop bought from ebay and I am using it with 10700K and 10.07.07 Bios version with 115W RTX 3070. From the day one my sound is working fine but 3.5mm headphone jack not working. When I plugged in windows dosent detect it. 

2nd I want to Flash my bios with 125W rtx 3070 if possible please. Can you help me i am not brave to modify my original bios.

Thank you.

To get 125w on your 3070 you have to flash the right VBios without a mod. And if you mean you want to modify your system Bios. Don’t do it. There are several problems with an unlocked Bios. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 10:25 PM, kaz26 said:

@DavIT Did you do any before and after benchmarks or temperature readings by any chance? I dremeled out a few of those areas as well, but I could probably do more. I wonder why it was left like that to be honest. 

@HieuHungHau Yes, it supports 64GB without a problem. I covered this somewhere here. I tested several brands and found the Kingston HyperX 32GBx2 3200MHz to be the best performer among the brands I tried. There are a couple 64GB RAM sets out there that might have better performance, but it would be minimal gains for the large premium in price. 

@Yuki  My screen looked fine right out of the box. I used a color calibration device and the change was almost imperceptible. If your screen is very yellow, you might have a bad LCD. 

@Justin Robbins This is the wrong thread for that laptop. You will probably get better help by finding or starting a thread that pertains to the laptop model you own. With that said, if you enabled XMP profiles, and the RAM is still not running at the proper speed, you can try disabling fast boot. When fast boot is enabled on some BIOS, I have heard that it can skip loading XMP and therefore will not run at max speed. Also make sure that your motherboard and CPU can handle the speed you are trying to achieve.

Just curious. Have you got any update on the 330w power supply mods you've been doing?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been very busy with work, but can give an update. This laptop has been running very well, I use it for 3D design and I do some pretty large projects. My major complaint is how difficult it is to clean the fans. I like to clean the fans every 3-4 months since I own pets and every time I clean the fans with this laptop I have to basically strip it down to the motherboard. With my P750DM I was able to simply pop the back cover off, and remove the fans, air dust everything and reassemble in probably 15 minutes. A minor complaint is the heat. Even with the cooling mods, it still runs hot. In time I will do something about that, possibly install an additional fan or maybe more cooling pipes and reconfigured cooling fins. I don't know. 
With regard to the 330w power supply, it works, but heat is a problem. I might try running some benchmarks with it soon. 

Laptops: