NotebookTalk

The End Of Windows 8.1

KING19

No end in sight for my Dell 7440 :O) No feeling of, or sign of, insecurity. Nice to see continuous MS defender updates.

ps, now 8,5 years with it's original w.8.1 install, never a bluescreen etc, a superb os that was\is.
+ amazed that the Dell is still behaving like new !

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
OS Version:                6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600
Product ID:                00180-10945-04374-AAOEM
Original Install Date:     04.02.2015, 09:46:48
System Boot Time:          14.07.2023, 14:33:07
System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.
System Model:              Latitude E7440

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 8:26 PM, 6730b said:

Seems like the end of Defender, last update I got was 19 july.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-defender-for-windows-8-and-81

Yeah, mine seems to have stopped on the 6th July with definition version 1.391.3726.0

I don't really care about that too much. The real issue is that other software is gradually starting to stop support like Opera is no longer updated, and Signal Desktop is saying it won't work from the 20th August.

Anyway, I've been having fun learning Linux over recent months and very happy with my VM setup at least now. Everything works (including the Windows software I want) much better than I expected. So looking to move more fully to Linux later this year. Whether that be fully, or dual boot (on separate drives), and/or still making some use of VMs I'm not sure yet.

Vivaldi updates stopped long ago. FF went to esr. Defender not updated for a while.
Time is gradually chewing bits off 8.1, 10 LTSC when it's time (if the laptop still works).

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another 8.1 (with classic shell) praise :O)

Just checked the old Tosh (near 10 years old, still in regular use for yt & music streaming \ playing), realized it's original 8.1 install is nearing it's 10th birthday. All updates installed. Never the slightest sign of problem, error or hiccup during all that time. & only ever done 1 Reflect restore, many years ago replacing HD.

ps, damn, how time dissolves quickly...

t_snip.PNG

• Like 1

Stand with ua.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

my dad has a similar Toshiba laptop (it's a Satellite C55Dt-A touch screen late 2013 notebook PC) with pre-installed Win8.1 Home and

the pre-installed Toshiba 750Gb HDD.  updated even beyond the Jan. 2023 KB5022352 rollup update; I even have the KB5028228 July 2023 8.1 rollup installed on there (with an "esu bypass" I found elsewhere)

• Thumb Up 1

• 4 months later...

Time to congratulate w8.1 here (original installation + all updates, open shell).
9 years of astonishingly perfect & stable service, OS solid as rock.
Same for the old Dell e7440, behaves like new (even the battery has aged well).

Laptop in daily use, browsing \ email \ yt streaming \ music playing.
MS continues to provide daily Defender updates. (so far) been enough security for my kind of net activity.

& the old Tosh mentionned in post above also alive as well.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Stand with ua.jpg