NotebookTalk

"What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 40% more bother!

Prototime

Made the mistake of going to Sam's Club at the same time as the after church crowd. So many people stopped to chat or search on their phone on the middle of major walkways, blocking the entire thing. After we got out to the car and loaded up, the family parked next to us (that no doubt saw us loading and preparing to leave) parked one of their two full shopping carts directly behind our vehicle. We weren't able to leave until these sloths fully unloaded both carts and got in their own vehicle. 

Slightly irritated that my main system bit the dust overnight while my girlfriend was on her PC next to it; apparently it started flashing and eventually shut off, to never turn on again.

I was looking to upgrade soon anyhow, but it's annoying that I can't play some games and do some specific niche things on it. Oh well, after I move I'll hopefully manage a decent desktop; haven't decided if I'm gonna go with an Alder Lake i7 with a 6900xt or a 5950x with a 3090. The tear is partially Linux, but partially encoder related.

Been stressed about a residency permit I need where I live so I don't go back to the US; if I go back I'll be homeless because I left the country to get away from abusive family at the young ol' age of 21. Here's hoping everything goes okay in the next couple of weeks.

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Mad at netflix. They raise the price and at the same time they remove Star Trek TNG. It's been our daily thing to watch when there's nothing else, or when we're doing something else, just have TNG going instead of stupid shows or current news...

• Thumb Up 1

Left arm and hand are getting weaker with more pain in them; condition is starting to deteriorate a bit more and I'm not sure when I'll get to a doctor, but it should be soon.

Ryzen 7 5800X

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Woo hoo, third addition of mine to this thread.

People who own the flat we were looking at renting basically turned us away because they want us to rent for 5 years; so now we're looking at other options. I'm absolutely frustrated, especially because I only have a month before I absolutely have to have my residency permit.

Ryzen 7 5800X

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

2 hours ago, Katja said:

Woo hoo, third addition of mine to this thread.

People who own the flat we were looking at renting basically turned us away because they want us to rent for 5 years; so now we're looking at other options. I'm absolutely frustrated, especially because I only have a month before I absolutely have to have my residency permit.

Ugh, who signs a 5 year lease? I'm not even sure I'll be in the house I bought for 5 years. 

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

3 minutes ago, Custom90gt said:

Ugh, who signs a 5 year lease? I'm not even sure I'll be in the house I bought for 5 years. 

Some weird stuff with renting near Barcelona, idk.

Ryzen 7 5800X

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

58 minutes ago, Hertzian56 said:

Companies who are flakes and unprofessional this includes owners and top management who you would think would at least follow through.

For the most part they're being rather flakey because my partner and I are disabled and don't work, but have more than enough savings; to them they only want someone who works a whatever hour job.

Eh, but we decided we're just gonna buy a place instead, it's easier.

• Thumb Up 1

Ryzen 7 5800X

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

22 hours ago, Katja said:

For the most part they're being rather flakey because my partner and I are disabled and don't work, but have more than enough savings; to them they only want someone who works a whatever hour job.

Eh, but we decided we're just gonna buy a place instead, it's easier.

I wasn't replying to you btw that was what's bothering ME right now.

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My relatively new desktop PC is completely dead. I was going to change out the 6700 XT for a 3070 Ti (as great as the AMD card is in most things, its ray tracing sucks), but upon attempting to power on the machine to remove the drivers, nothing happened. No pops or magic puffs of smoke to indicate a blown power supply. All the power connections seemed nice and tight, too. I'll be taking it to MicroCenter next weekend to have them diagnose it since the machine should still be under warranty.

• Sad 2

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Not bothering me really just a funny bother. When solo "camping" in one of these curated campgrounds, which is almost empty in the loop, and getting a spot you think no one would show up and ruin the solitude but in your mind you're like, "there are people with different standards/wants of privacy/solitude so who knows, but nah I'm fine" Empty.Loop. A friendly couple of asian descent shows up and there goes that lol. Nice people, not too knowledgeable about camping in a campground so I helped them out a bit. Where I originally come from there's so much open space that you can go pretty much anywhere and really wild camp but that's fairly rare now in the USA it's all bought up or the "owners" aka gov don't want you there.

• Like 1

Taxes

• Bump 3
Apple M2 MBA 13 (Cayna) - 8/10 SoC, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Dell Inspiron 7577 (Mayu) - i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060MQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB NVMe + 1TB HDD, 1080p, Win10 Home
DIY Desktop (Altair) - i7-8700K, Radeon 6600 8GB, 32GB DDR4-3200, 256GB NVMe + 256GB SSD + 8TB HDD, 1080p x3, Win11 Home
DIY Server (Mobius) - i5-6600K, 32GB DDR4, 28TB array, Samsung EVO 860 500GB cache, unRAID 6.11.5 Pro
Other machines: Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (Strigon), Thinkpad X61t (Aquila)
RIP NBR

8 hours ago, Jarhead said:

Taxes

This^

Uncle Sam is taking more of my money and my refund is lower than last year 😭

• Thumb Up 1

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

Just paid taxes, could have bought a couple of nice laptops instead, lol. 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

Realized I hadn't looked at my W4 in over two years and wondered why I owed money.  Went to change the number of exemptions since my children have pretty much left the nest.  Realized the form had completely changed.  Then wondered why my oldest daughter paid no federal income tax.  The answer was right in front of me.  If only I could just play computer games and not have to realize there is a real world out there...

• Thumb Up 3

So much time wasted.

I spent the past 1.5 years working on an autonomous go-kart.  Instructor brought me in as a paid undergrad researcher.  After my 2 quarters were finished I stayed on as a volunteer to see the project thru, and the kart put to the ground and driving.  We almost had the go-kart on the ground then I get called in by the Uni admins.  My instructor lied about so much. About this being a legit research project, about me being allowed to stay on as a volunteer after graduation.  That was in mid-March.  After numerous interviews by Uni staff, I read the writing on the wall that they were looking to show my instructor the door and was advised to keep my distance from him so he doesn't drag me down with him.

I at least hope the team can take the (hopefully) finished go-kart to competition in May.

• Sad 1

whats bothering me?

Im trying to see how long my ipad 9 will last in battery saver and lowered brightness....and it just won't die it was run for 10 hours yesterday and now its at 49percent...thing is retarded when it comes to battery life, thing is like from the future.

ok I give up its at 41percent...it lasts all day thats all that matters... 😛

I have a question I need answered? I use accubattery to monitor my SOT with my s21 ultra and it works well, tells me how long screens been on and off ect....does ipad have something I can use to monitor screen on time accurately...Im new to ipads and to be quite frank I see now why they are a 1 trillion dollar company

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Dealing with hotels and their mostly scam points/rewards. Tried to book a points with some cash option but it wouldn't go through, called the number given and it rang and rang and then came up with some recording saying technical difficulties, sure right. OK after calling the generic CS line and talking to 2 non native english speakers they could not do anything, the only option was to use a bunch more points to book it all free which worked but it's not a better deal overall if I have upcoming stays. Their excuse was a problem with my cc, the same one I used a week before for a full price paid booking that worked fine.  Then I check my cc online statement, turns out it worked fine for the partial payment with points so they are liars. They did immediately refund the partial payment at least.  This chain, Choice, are scummy to say the least and I won't touch Wyndham they are a complete scam. Red Lion Hello Bucks are the real deal among points rewards. With the avalanche of real reviews online about how most of them are total scams it's amazing that none of our gov overlords does anything, well it's not a total surprise since it happens pretty much everywhere, partners in crime.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:03 AM, GrandesBollas said:

Realized I hadn't looked at my W4 in over two years and wondered why I owed money.  Went to change the number of exemptions since my children have pretty much left the nest.  Realized the form had completely changed.  Then wondered why my oldest daughter paid no federal income tax.  The answer was right in front of me.  If only I could just play computer games and not have to realize there is a real world out there...

yep I realized that late last year the form is completely different, they want to keep as much of your money as possible for as long as possible so they can collect interest on it, I used to be able to claim as many as I want so I could not have them take out way too much but it's a lot more complicated now on purpose. From what I gathered they are now asking you to either claim imaginary dependents or just "go with the flow" to their benefit, public service? nah, mafia.

• Thumb Up 1

My Legion 5 charger died on me while it was charging, The wire started to smoke and caused a spark and nearly severed the wire. Luckily my laptop wasnt damaged nor a fire was started in my home. Good thing i extended my warranty when i did otherwise i would be paying over $100 for a new charger..... Lenovo is sending me a replacement charger but it wont be here until later this week, its bad timing because i have a work project i need to finish and my old HP Envy laptop barely works anymore... 😡

Current Laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.8Ghz (Boost: 4.2Ghz), 6GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 Memory, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS display, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, 1 TB Teamgroup MP34 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home 22H2

Dell support assist. That just updated itself yesterday and re-enabled the service i previously disabled. It then proceeded to cause issues with lssas.exe (the windows local security process) causing the RAM usage of the service to steadily climb to over 20GB all the while forcing system interrupts every few seconds causing my machine to hang. Spent 2 hours this morning trying to figure out the cause.

Dell and their software. It's always a bug ridden mess.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:44 AM, KING19 said:

My Legion 5 charger died on me while it was charging, The wire started to smoke and caused a spark and nearly severed the wire. Luckily my laptop wasnt damaged nor a fire was started in my home. Good thing i extended my warranty when i did otherwise i would be paying over $100 for a new charger..... Lenovo is sending me a replacement charger but it wont be here until later this week, its bad timing because i have a work project i need to finish and my old HP Envy laptop barely works anymore... 😡

That's why you should always have a spare especially if your hardware is being used for mission-critical applications. I have a 230W Lenovo slim charger I'm not using any more. If you're in the US, I'd be happy to send it to you for a heavily discounted price.

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

On 5/3/2022 at 9:46 AM, saturnotaku said:

That's why you should always have a spare especially if your hardware is being used for mission-critical applications. I have a 230W Lenovo slim charger I'm not using any more. If you're in the US, I'd be happy to send it to you for a heavily discounted price.

Yes i am from the US and I'll keep that in mind. It sucked using my old laptop trying to finish my work project because it's pretty slow and i havent reinstalled windows 8.1 in years on it. Also my GF's laptop is slower than that and she really needs a new one, I'll surprise her on her birthday later this year.

I got the charger on Tuesday so everything is good. Nearly finished my work project just putting the finishing touches on it.

Current Laptop:

The latest firmware update to my S10 completely killed all notifications and functionality to my watch.  It all gets stuck somewhere in Android.  If I restart, it works for a little bit then ☠️

I guess its time for a new phone 🥲

thought my comment on spinners for horse and carriage was funny and a good metaphor.....guess not

also @Custom90gtyour comment about a 5 year lease was great..I personally never heard of anyone doing a five year lease is that even legal?

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled