NotebookTalk

"What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 40% more bother!

Prototime

Less than a month after getting my desktop repaired, my Razer Blade decided to act up. I got a WHEA BSOD error when attempting to wake it from sleep. After a clean OS install, the video decides to glitch out. Fortunately I purchased the day-one warranty from MicroCenter so I took it there today. If they aren't able to repair it, I should be getting a gift card good for the original purchase price. I'm not entirely sure what I would replace it with, but we'll burn that bridge when we cross it.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

I'm not sure what happened but my car stereo is silent, nothing to the speakers, it loads up the disc and everything but nothing, not even radio. Weirdly I was camping and I have this rig when it's raining that uses a couple umbrellas because the hatchback opens up and provides small shelter but the sides allow water in so I put the umbrellas there, well during a storm I noticed some weird hissing like the stereo was on but it was not, I think this might have something to do with it. I don't think fuses have anything to do with it because the stereo works just no sound. Just bizarre.

• 1 month later...

Southeastern heat wave

Apple M2 MBA 13 (Cayna) - 8/10 SoC, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Dell Inspiron 7577 (Mayu) - i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060MQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB NVMe + 1TB HDD, 1080p, Win10 Home
DIY Desktop (Altair) - i7-8700K, Radeon 6600 8GB, 32GB DDR4-3200, 256GB NVMe + 256GB SSD + 8TB HDD, 1080p x3, Win11 Home
DIY Server (Mobius) - i5-6600K, 32GB DDR4, 28TB array, Samsung EVO 860 500GB cache, unRAID 6.11.5 Pro
Other machines: Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (Strigon), Thinkpad X61t (Aquila)
RIP NBR

Just started rainy season in Japan

24C but humidity is nasty

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

Drinking plenty of ice water / other drinks, fans up the max, curtains closed, and if needed taking a cold shower.

• Thumb Up 1
Dell Inspiron 7577 (Mayu) - i7-7700HQ, GTX 1060MQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB NVMe + 1TB HDD, 1080p, Win10 Home
DIY Desktop (Altair) - i7-8700K, Radeon 6600 8GB, 32GB DDR4-3200, 256GB NVMe + 256GB SSD + 8TB HDD, 1080p x3, Win11 Home
DIY Server (Mobius) - i5-6600K, 32GB DDR4, 28TB array, Samsung EVO 860 500GB cache, unRAID 6.11.5 Pro
RIP NBR

16 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

Drinking plenty of ice water / other drinks, fans up the max, curtains closed, and if needed taking a cold shower.

Yeah its a great time to kick junky sugar drinks since the environment encourages hydration. I tend to stay away from the other stuff once I am back on the water + coffee kick and just supplement with something like Electrolyte to get me through the day. Gets rid of the brain fog too, which is something I need to do anyways.

• Thumb Up 1

I got a job doing concessions at two local baseball fields in my town. I started work on May 25th and was supposed to be paid the 9th. I still havent been paid and "should" get paid on the 23rd. I've worked 100+ hours and am very frustrated that I still haven't been paid. It has put off some things I've been wanting to do and buy. 

According to many of my coworkers (many I know personally from school and other activities,) the league has been really annoying and bad to work for/deal with. Most of us plan on quitting at the end of this season to hopefully send a message to the league that they have many problems to fix. 

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

• 3 weeks later...

Current issue is managing to go out and get groceries when my girlfriend is out of town without delivery (language barrier issue). Sunlight tends to flare up my lupus and I asked if I could walk with her to go to the local Mercadona (like 1km from our flat) and she wants to make sure I reduce my flare ups. Currently we're both stressed out for separate reasons, but just managing life is the main thing.

The main concern is flare-ups cause issues with my skin and joints, but the worst of it happens to my lungs (almost like a bronchitis-type deal), so minimizing that is really the best I can do; at least our balcony has a top cover to it! For now I'm just lucky if I can be on my computer for more than a few hours at a time, so I can't complain too much.

• Like 1

Kirisame: Custom build

Ryzen 7 5800X

32GB HyperX DDR4-3733 CL18

ASRock Phantom D OC RX 6800XT

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Manage to get a decent sunburn over the weekend and its murdering me.

• Sad 1
RIP NBR

Often it's not the best employees that get promoted. Some companies don't like moving someone that is actually good at their job because then they have to fill that position with someone with lesser ability and it costs them money.

Then the good employee gets sick of being treated like this and they leave so the company loses the employee completely. 

Alienware Aurora R15 - i9-13900KF - RTX 4090 - 32GB DDR5 

Alienware M18x R2 - i7-3920XM - GTX 970M - 16GB 1866Mhz DDR3L - Samsung 970 Evo with MXM to NVMe Adapter - Custom Delft Blue  

Alienware X51 - i7-3770 - NO GPU - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3  Alienware M17x R3 - i7-2760QM - GTX 580M - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Alienware Area 51 ALX - i7-975 Extreme - GTX 980 - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3   Alienware Aurora R2 - i7-3770K - GTX 670FTW - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 

Alienware Aurora R4 ALX - i7-3930K - GTX 1060 - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3        Alienware Aurora R4 ALX - i7-3930K - GTX 670FTW - 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Watching a startup tank because the other coder is not fluent in Swift but they insist on sticking with him and expect me to pick up the slack even though the decision was made to move completely away from ObjC.

@Reciever the old adage still applies: Good employees are rewarded with more work.....

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 980 1TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Samsung G7 43" 4k mLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel: i5-12400 | Asus Prime B660 | PowerColor HellHound 7900XTX | 32GB DDR4  G.Skill 3333 |  512GB M.2 | Gamdias | BenQ 32" 4k

This is a bit more serious than I care to admit, but I'll just spoiler the text in case people flip shit; I'm handling it okay, but it's something I'll handle ok, since I have a history with it.

Spoiler

I'm rather suicidal due to a combination of health issues, bad luck, trauma, and a bunch of other things. I'm not in any immediate danger, but I'm just so exhausted with life and seeing myself further decline; I don't want my partner to suffer through that. It doesn't help that I probably have a small list of people who are actively wanting my death from a couple of years ago for who-knows-what, given I was a target due to being "different".

I mean, yeah, I got out of an abusive household belonging to my mother only after I had an out, otherwise I'd be stuck to be her free payday/laborer because she never really wanted to do much to begin with. At this point I just don't want to hurt my partner, because it's wrong that she was able to get me over here and help me get my passport, just for me to die by suicide in some form. In any case, I'll be dying before her because of my autoimmune condition which has been attacking my lungs, joints, and my skin. It's only a matter of time before it attacks something else.

It's a mess due to a lot of things, and I still wonder if she'd be happier if I were dead, even though I'm pretty sure that isn't true, I just have that notion from years of hearing that from other people, family members included. I'll trek on for now, but who knows how long I have.

Ryzen 7 5800X

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Was having blocky picture with an hevc x265 mkv file even though my cpu usage was around 5% so it shouldn't do that idk. Same problem vlc, pot player, mpc-hc etc Did a short handbrake reencode of about 30mins length to x264 bam no problems.

11 hours ago, Katja said:

This is a bit more serious than I care to admit, but I'll just spoiler the text in case people flip shit; I'm handling it okay, but it's something I'll handle ok, since I have a history with it.

Hide contents

I'm rather suicidal due to a combination of health issues, bad luck, trauma, and a bunch of other things. I'm not in any immediate danger, but I'm just so exhausted with life and seeing myself further decline; I don't want my partner to suffer through that. It doesn't help that I probably have a small list of people who are actively wanting my death from a couple of years ago for who-knows-what, given I was a target due to being "different".

I mean, yeah, I got out of an abusive household belonging to my mother only after I had an out, otherwise I'd be stuck to be her free payday/laborer because she never really wanted to do much to begin with. At this point I just don't want to hurt my partner, because it's wrong that she was able to get me over here and help me get my passport, just for me to die by suicide in some form. In any case, I'll be dying before her because of my autoimmune condition which has been attacking my lungs, joints, and my skin. It's only a matter of time before it attacks something else.

It's a mess due to a lot of things, and I still wonder if she'd be happier if I were dead, even though I'm pretty sure that isn't true, I just have that notion from years of hearing that from other people, family members included. I'll trek on for now, but who knows how long I have.

Woah sounds pretty terrible, I've had similar experiences with abusive family before who are not going to change too selfish and malicious. Typical "this is me and everyone else be damned" attitude. They don't actually care at all no matter what the going through the motions "caring" manifests itself as like presents, help in various physical ways etc It's sometimes just good to completely decouple and maybe or maybe not tell them about how they are abusive and destructive, limit their influence over you physically and emotionally. Write them a letter and don't bother to send it if it doesn't seem worth the trouble but it's good for you to get it out like a journal so you know you've communicated it externally and let it go. Maybe burn the letter etc All I can say is that life is a gift that has so many possibilities no matter how small that you should never give up. Little seemingly insignificant triumphs can and do add up to meaning and purpose.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Katja said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Without getting into the weeds, I've suffered from similar ideations. It helps when certain messages are received from those you respect as they tend to hold more value and pierce the guard that we place in front of ourselves and others on a daily basis. In that regard, I was lucky. Though I will never tell them, and they will never know.

Such ideations are a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Its admittedly difficult to keep such a statement in abstract when there are so many bullet points you can stack against it. However while life is definitely full of suffering, there is also nearly infinite potential.

I've read that people have had some measure of success when it comes to restrictive diets and a mild level of cardio (though be sure to watch your electrolytes). More importantly find a goal that is meaningful to you, size and scope doesnt matter, it could be 5 squats, 1 chapter, or having a conversation with your partner be it a light topic or some of the struggles you currently face or worse, politics.

In any case, Im happy to have you here in the forums 🙂

• Like 1

On another note, I've officially had it with DIscord's radio silence (which to be fair, they aren't exactly great in general, but that's besides the point), and just posted a long "I'm not a dev but have somewhat of an understanding on some technology" rant telling them to at least address it. Screenshotting it here because I'm absolutely irritated with the lack of radio silence and that Wayland screenshare in general is just borked.

image.thumb.png.0736ee2faaf46c7e5b141f56d0ab6031.png

Ryzen 7 5800X

1TB Samsung OEM gen4

2TB Inland Platinum

Huawei Matebook D14

i5-10210U
8GB DDR4
500GB NVME

Went on vacation with my family last week, and now both my wife and I have COVID.

• Sad 1

Desktop: Ryzen 5 5600X3D | 32 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 4070 Super | 4 TB SSD | Windows 11

MacBook Pro 14: M1 Max 10-core CPU | 64 GB RAM | 32-core GPU | 2 TB SSD | macOS

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Gaming: Ryzen 7 6800H | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3050 | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro: Ryzen 5 5600U | 16 GB RAM | Radeon Graphics | 512 GB SSD | Windows 11

Bought an open box kids bike trailer from Amazon so I can haul my daughter around.  These things are expensive and after research I ended up selecting a "higher tier" one which was even more.  Saving ~35% on a "Like new" trailer sounded good.  Turns out some terrible person purchased the trailer and then threw some POS something in there that wasn't even near the same and returned it to Amazon.  Amazon didn't check it out by any means and then I had to waste my time returning it.  I messaged amazon to let them know they were had (although I know it's a fairly common scam), but they don't seem to care a lick.  They'll probably resell the stupid thing, lol.  What a waste.

Desktop | Intel i9-12900k | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F | 2x16GB Oloy DDR5 @ 6400mhz CL32 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | AW3821DW| 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 | All under water |

Server | SM846 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7F52 | Supermicro H12SSL-I | Tesla P40 24GB | 256GB 3200MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Backup Server | SM826 | Unraid  6.12.0-rc4.1 | AMD Epyc 7302 | Supermicro H11SSL-I | Tesla P4 8GB | 256GB 2133MHz ECC 8-channel | 100+TB ZFS |

Dell XPS 9510 | Intel  i7-11800H | RTX 3050 Ti | 16GB 3200mhz | 1TB SX8200 | 1080P |

i got a new job as a janitor\5am to 630am then back at 545pm for 15min unpaid split shift

\first 30min they want 2 hours of work done in 30min\\

Edited by Reciever
Inappropriate language

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 7/20/2022 at 9:01 PM, saturnotaku said:

Went on vacation with my family last week, and now both my wife and I have COVID.

I had it two times. And I never want it again. 3 days of laying in my bed with heavy symptoms.

Schenker DTR 15(P751TM1) @Dsanke Bios, I7-8700, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, GTX 1060, 15,6“ 4K B156ZAN02.2 Display

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the fourth day of school, and some idiot in my English class decided it was a good idea to spray some of his girlfriends pepper spray, a lot of it too...

I have recently obtained a gas mask, and I've had it in my bag for a few days to show some of my buddies. As soon as I heard everyone start coughing and gagging, and saw the kid with the bottle in his hand, I took the mask out and put it on. Everyone looked at me as if I was a maniac, but I was the only one in that classroom who wasn't affected by the spray.

We were quickly evacuated and the surrounding rooms were too. All of the SROs, all four of our assistance principals, and our head principal (who is rarely seen unless something really bad happens) were there, and the guy and his girlfriend were detained and taken away from the other students. The whole day was messed up, and there were no active classes in the area for the rest of the day. All of the kids in my class were rushed outside, given water, and then taken to our nurse's office and left shortly after (everyone was fine though). I ended up speaking with the SROs as I was the only one who didn't need immediate care. I was a bit worried they'd ask about the mask, as it is definitely not the most appropriate item to have at school, but they didn't really care, and were glad I had it as I was able to explain everything shortly after it happened.

The amount of incompetence and stupidity really pisses me off though. To have pepper spray is already a big NO in a school, but to decide to use it, and to spray a bunch of it aimlessly in a room with the door closed really shows the stupidity of some people. I guess we can't have nice things anymore.

It's weird to think to that if the circumstances were even slightly different, that this event could have either not happened, or been a lot worse for me. High School is a weird place, and the butterfly effect is a weird thing...

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD