NotebookTalk

"What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 40% more bother!

Prototime

7 hours ago, Tenoroon said:

Today was the fourth day of school, and some idiot in my English class decided it was a good idea to spray some of his girlfriends pepper spray, a lot of it too...

I have recently obtained a gas mask, and I've had it in my bag for a few days to show some of my buddies. As soon as I heard everyone start coughing and gagging, and saw the kid with the bottle in his hand, I took the mask out and put it on. Everyone looked at me as if I was a maniac, but I was the only one in that classroom who wasn't affected by the spray.

We were quickly evacuated and the surrounding rooms were too. All of the SROs, all four of our assistance principals, and our head principal (who is rarely seen unless something really bad happens) were there, and the guy and his girlfriend were detained and taken away from the other students. The whole day was messed up, and there were no active classes in the area for the rest of the day. All of the kids in my class were rushed outside, given water, and then taken to our nurse's office and left shortly after (everyone was fine though). I ended up speaking with the SROs as I was the only one who didn't need immediate care. I was a bit worried they'd ask about the mask, as it is definitely not the most appropriate item to have at school, but they didn't really care, and were glad I had it as I was able to explain everything shortly after it happened.

The amount of incompetence and stupidity really pisses me off though. To have pepper spray is already a big NO in a school, but to decide to use it, and to spray a bunch of it aimlessly in a room with the door closed really shows the stupidity of some people. I guess we can't have nice things anymore.

It's weird to think to that if the circumstances were even slightly different, that this event could have either not happened, or been a lot worse for me. High School is a weird place, and the butterfly effect is a weird thing...

Oh a fellow prepper.

I have 2 gas masks (untested like yours!)

1 in my get home bag in the car and one in my INCH (I'm Not Coming Home) bag.

I'm watching a lot of news...man I hope we are just crazy and there is no threat. :classic_sad:

• Thumb Up 2

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win10LTSC

4 hours ago, Eban said:

Oh a fellow prepper.

I have 2 gas masks (untested like yours!)

1 in my get home bag in the car and one in my INCH (I'm Not Coming Home) bag.

I'm watching a lot of news...man I hope we are just crazy and there is no threat. :classic_sad:

I used to have gas masks at home along with a bunch of other prepper-like stuff years back. But after leaving my country and moving around a lot I didn't really bother + it's kind of hard to travel with. But lately it's been on my mind a lot that I should at least assemble a single backpack with all the "must have stuff" in it. Not sure where to begin though, back home I could get most of what I needed locally. Now... ebay I guess is my best option.

Not that I think anything crazy will happen that I'm going to need it. But as someone (Kafka? I feel these days it's impossible to say for sure to whom a given quote belongs lol ) said - “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”

• Thumb Up 2

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

It's Kind of ironic. I used to work at wetherford which is the equivalent of nasa as far as people having degrees. to janitor, now a cashier at dollarama. but its even funnier when I know how to make 1000/hr cad that is so like 5/hr USD. but it's just funny how people lose sight of whats important, I could be rich if I wanted to be, but I choose a modest and meek life because I'm not up to being a rose drinking mercury. money really is the root of most evils. I just hope with this new job I can make a new friend or two, now that is valuable.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 8/12/2022 at 11:30 PM, serpro69 said:

But as someone (Kafka? I feel these days it's impossible to say for sure to whom a given quote belongs lol ) said - “Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”

Oh yes...The condom protocol. Definitely agree!

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My iPhone SE 2nd gen's touch digitizer decided to up and die right before I had a gig today, rendering the phone inoperable. It was sheer chaos trying to contact everyone, but it was done, and everything went well.

I'm going to just trade it in and get a new phone, and don't really know what to get nor do I really have the time to think about what I'd like. As of right now its either looking like a very specific model of 2021 Motorola Edge that's really easy to root, or a 3rd gen iPhone SE. I'm leaning towards the former as my experience with Apple's phones has been nothing but hell... 

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

aight guys, ill bite: 

been saving up for 3 years now for my glorious return to desktop land after being a resident of laptop-town for the past 15 years due to frequent international moves. now is a good time for a beastly desktop though since me and my lady are likely gonna be sticking around for the foreseeable future.

in any case, so 3 years of saving up and now this:

- EVGA quitting the GPU business

- Nvidia being as absolute ASS and artificially delaying the 40 series, rumors saying pricing will be insane in order to differentiate from parallel running 30 series cards

- AM5 motherboard pricing so far looks completely whack, like....1500€ for the Asus ROG X670E Extreme? are u SERIOUS?

- AMD for the second time delaying AM5 platform release (initially slated for 15-Sep, now X670E is delayed further)

i know i know, first world problems 😛 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

• 2 weeks later...

my girl friend said its just right...not to small and not to big. bothering me alot lately

talk about first world problems eh @jaybee83

on a happy note i can afford what shed call too big of a computer case and should be a snug fit although its all black. sigh computer shopping can be tough sometimes

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Reciever said:

Lady texting and driving totals my car, and she gets to drive home in hers. 

I found this fairly common during my stay in Texas. Saw a lady doing her makeup while driving 60mph on a highway (there was no autopilot back then). Talking on the phone super common. All of these things are banned in the UK, with AI cameras starting to police... 

Sounds like you are OK, that's the most important thing, but obviously sorry to hear. Annoying as hell. 

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

17 hours ago, Reciever said:

Lady texting and driving totals my car, and she gets to drive home in hers. 

Ahhh, that really blows, your RSX right? Those things are nice cars, sorry to hear about that. It seems you're doing alright, which is always good to hear.

My buddy totaled his WRX STI a while ago from a buck who ran right in front of him. Spent all day yesterday at the wreck lot salvaging as much as possible with him. I hope you are given the opportunity to do the same.

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo GTX 1080 | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | 1tb Samsung 870 QVO | 2tb Seagate 5400rpm HDD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

I found this fairly common during my stay in Texas. Saw a lady doing her makeup while driving 60mph on a highway (there was no autopilot back then). Talking on the phone super common. All of these things are banned in the UK, with AI cameras starting to police... 

Sounds like you are OK, that's the most important thing, but obviously sorry to hear. Annoying as hell. 

I have been hit by 2 cars in California, and rear ended twice now in Texas. Its disheartening, because I fear hitting anyone and take great care of how I drive as a result.

2 hours ago, Tenoroon said:

Ahhh, that really blows, your RSX right? Those things are nice cars, sorry to hear about that. It seems you're doing alright, which is always good to hear.

My buddy totaled his WRX STI a while ago from a buck who ran right in front of him. Spent all day yesterday at the wreck lot salvaging as much as possible with him. I hope you are given the opportunity to do the same.

Yeah, it was my rust bucket. Got it for 1000 in 2019 and have been fixing it up ever since.

Im well enough to complain.

less of a bother, more of a worry. but that worry bothers me.

tons going on currently, just finished moving into a new appartment, had to handle all of our stuff single-handedly, since my pregnant wife obviously is not allowed to handle any heavy things anymore. luckily im pretty much in peak physical condition atm, been working out hard the past few months but still, was SO much and so stressful, i ended up getting sick.

now in the new appartment, but basically living out of suitcases n boxes, still tons of furniture missing we need to purchase and build.

gonna start my new job in 4 days time. interviews were a blast, seems like they REALLY want me and expect great things.

recently married in August, got our first kid on the way, just found out its gonna be a girl!

soooo....long story short: am i cut out for all this? be a good husband, good father, good employee? i feel so inadequate and stuff currently just feels overwhelming. 

a bit more personal than i usually like it to be, but felt like i needed to vent this.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Bump 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

1 hour ago, jaybee83 said:

tons going on currently, just finished moving into a new appartment, had to handle all of our stuff single-handedly, since my pregnant wife obviously is not allowed to handle any heavy things anymore. luckily im pretty much in peak physical condition atm, been working out hard the past few months but still, was SO much and so stressful, i ended up getting sick.

now in the new appartment, but basically living out of suitcases n boxes, still tons of furniture missing we need to purchase and build.

gonna start my new job in 4 days time. interviews were a blast, seems like they REALLY want me and expect great things.

recently married in August, got our first kid on the way, just found out its gonna be a girl!

soooo....long story short: am i cut out for all this? be a good husband, good father, good employee? i feel so inadequate and stuff currently just feels overwhelming. 

a bit more personal than i usually like it to be, but felt like i needed to vent this.

I would say that humility is a good start, the trick is to recognize when it begins to be an excuse as they can be difficult to recognize in the moment.

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

14 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

Maybe ask for some time off or something to deal with the move? Any sane employer would approve. 

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

22 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

A life of quiet desperation :classic_sad:

• Thumb Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 1:15 AM, Reciever said:

I would say that humility is a good start, the trick is to recognize when it begins to be an excuse as they can be difficult to recognize in the moment.

yep, agreed on that. always good to take a little time out every once in a while, look at your life and decide, if the internal hesitation is based on being overwhelmed or if its a sign that ure taking a direction u dont actually want to take.

On 11/28/2022 at 1:53 PM, Etern4l said:

Maybe ask for some time off or something to deal with the move? Any sane employer would approve. 

oh no worries on that front, i actually pushed back the job start for two weeks so i could take care of the worst part of the move. the rest will just take a while to figure out, i.e. getting the furniture in place (delivery times being quite long that they are atm) and unpacking everything.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, Eban said:

A life of quiet desperation :classic_sad:

yeah! thats what i was referring to above in reply to @Reciever, once u feel that internal hesitation and realize youre "stuck", thats the absolute worst. its often times not straight forward though, i.e. "be careful what you wish for". a life of total individual freedom might sound awesome right now, but picture yourself on your death bed: wouldnt you miss having a family of your own? maybe regret having lived a life that was a bit too "selfish"?

as with all things in life actually worth having, it needs work, time, nerves, dedication, compromises and sacrifice. 

thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated 🙂 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 4:49 PM, jaybee83 said:

Congrats and best of luck to you in your new jobs(as an employee and parent). The months after my first was born were the most exhausting I've ever experienced but it gets easier. I had one three months before grad school and another during grad school. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ryan said:

-26c right now -36c tomorrow...gotta love alberta

geez... THATs why i keep telling my wife that we cant go to Canada, well freeze do death LOL

17 hours ago, ryan said:

-26c right now -36c tomorrow...gotta love alberta

Thats cold. You need a REALLY fat girlfriend!

so do I....:classic_wink:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ryan said:

Lol.. something to snuggle up with maybe a walrus

Yeah nar...think I'll stick to women :classic_rolleyes:

• Thumb Up 1