NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

1 hour ago, Tenoroon said:

I'm just confused about how many CPU's Intel has for their mobile line, it's ridiculous!!!

You're telling me there's going to be a justifiable reason for the Core i5 13500HX to exist?!? I doubt that 3 or more laptop models will ever that SKU!

I get that having more is good, but this is just too much, go back to the days where you had an i5 or two, a few i7's and a single core i9 for high performance, and then the U series for Ultrabooks, Jesus...

image.thumb.png.b9a7621538aba4b6ff29437282f0f882.png
image.thumb.png.31ff74ef5cfb82ac7e5a5570435012b8.png
image.thumb.png.6e17af89045bf81bdd62f46c896fecfa.png
image.thumb.png.2c90e5205afbd75b76ccb7750494b67c.png

Because they have to use up all older Alder lake silicon. A cheaper alternative to try steal more of AMD sales. I don't think AMD can compete on prices. And OEMS go after the best deals on HW for their cheaper Jokebook models.  

Then you have....  As Intel previously announced, it will now use the ‘Intel Processor’ branding after it retired the iconic Pentium and Celeron branding it previously employed for this class of device. Intel says this move is to simplify branding on the low end, but it hasn't been a popular decision.

"The new Intel Processor branding will simplify our offerings so users can focus on choosing the right processor for their needs," said Josh Newman, Intel vice president and interim general manager of Mobile Client Platforms.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

What? So now we have anime, manga, pink, white and black. No yellow? What about a brony edition? And, no rainbow "pride" option? I am so offended.

They must be racists. :classic_angry: I'm going to upload a TikTok video to express my rage.

On that note...

LOOL

Regarding Gamers nexus video. This just show of todays tech. Nothing unusual there. +90% trash and 1% awesome. The few percent in between is barely good enough. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

12 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Wow, that is an even bigger change than I saw. Massive change, in fact. Interesting that firmware can change something that much. In a way, it tends to dilute confidence in the reliability of the SP measurement. It can be manipulated if ASUS is influenced by external forces or ever decides to take on an agenda of some sort. I bet that CPU Brother@Clamibotpurchased from me would also have a really high SP rating now compared to what the firmware said it was when I last checked it.

ASUS must have some sort of backdoor telemetry gathering data from all of the systems connected to the internet with a relevant mobo/chipset. If that is the case, I wonder what other data they are gathering. If not, then it begs the question of how they are getting the information that would cause the change over time.

Glad to see you are on the mend. You must be starting to feel better now if you were able to muster the time and effort for this. 

Yeah this was a proper case in point from early revisions to near end game versions of the bios. It is my certified SL SP101 cool hand luke that is not leaky at all to boot for X170SM-G use as I yanked that one and put in a Celeron G-5900 before shipping it off for repair. I also pulled my Corsair 3800 sticks too and put back in the stock 2x8GB sticks. Don't want anything to go "missing" while the faulty GPU is replaced. Better to be safe than sorry.

Speaking of SP not being the end all of all, I actually tried an SP114 10900k in my X170SM-G a few months back from a guild bud who let me give it a whirl as he was upgrading to a 7950x. I never got a chance to test it on a desktop (didn't have a MB then on hand) but it was super leaky and ran 10c+ hotter than my SP101 in my X170SM-G same test conditions. I even re-delidded/relidded it to make sure. It ran slightly lower Vcore under load but spit out much more heat. Wish I had a Z490/Z590 board then though to see where I could take it on the desktop as it would clearly shine as I pushed it above 5.1 with better cooling.

Thanks Bro! Definitely feeling physically better.

7 hours ago, Ashtrix said:

Yeah, also I think we need to see V/F offsets more than just SP rating. With APEX default 0501 BIOS had incredibly low voltages. And same SP for me and then 1202 flash changed the voltages to what I saw when I was testing it months ago on Z590 HERO. SP remained the same.

VID default factory values from Intel and comparing to the others gives a far more accurate interpretation than a simple SP prediction. I also wonder how does a late BIOS change trigger the SP algorithm to change such massively, still that BIOS is 0902 which is earlier revisions when Z590 launched so that is why more significant change I think.

Also @electrosoft that BIOS is not fixing the BS bug on Z590 series, well ASUS is trash QC so their Z590 boards do not recognize the RTX40 series cards with PCIe4.0x16 despite being working fine for RTX30 series PCIe4.0x16. For Ada series it reverts back to PCIe3.0 connection. And some other ASUS X670 boards exhibit reduced lanes. ROG forum is full of such issues, Z690s having Internet problems and DIMM issues what not.

Anyways Beta BIOS 1405 is the one which fixes the problems lol, like ASUS released 1405 Beta after this whole thread at ROG forum and this reddit thread. And some folks got beta 1605. But the official 1601 does not fix which came after those threads and the latest 1701 doesn't either. That's the ASUS quality standard now. (ps - There's a Z590 Strix beta 1405 in the thread if you are interested here)

Yes ASUS rep STARRAIN@ROG mentioned ASUS Is working with Nvidia to issue a driver fix, but that never happened and the beta 1405 and 1605 fixed. But now the owners flashing the "supposedly" "stable" & "official" update thinking it would fix, well no dice as it doesn't do jack.

I do not need those BIOSes anyways, but I kept the 1202 beta from HWbot community (verified checksum hashes with ASUS official 1202 and it matched so I kept both 1202 and flashed the official) for Windows 7. And the beta 1405, in case if I ever need. As BIOS 1701 says it has a mandatory Intel ME Firmware, which I really do not want to update nor tinker and has ARB (Anti Rollback) protection, however they say BIOS FlashBack works to rolling back, still not interested esp it doesn't fix anything and instead probably broke something off in the meanwhile. By the time 1202 BIOS was out I think RKL had it's run and so did CML I guess. Plus many reported issues flashing 16xx/17xx series on APEX and others which also is another reason to keep away from them. And like @Mr. Fox says "Newer is not better".

To quote earlier @Papusan on his Z790 APEX ASUS QC and other BS.

ASUS is a fallen company. It's a miracle that their boards work maybe their BIOS Engineers and HW division is the only one keeping it alive. Maybe all of them have some issues if we see forums of MSI, EVGA, GB but ASUS is way too popular and nowadays their QC is awful. Proof is above episode which is still not resolved for Z590. In case if anyone did not notice, ASUS removed the timestamps from the BIOS updates and etc on their support pages. Incredibly unfortunate move, they say it will come back this month, well we'll see when it does.

For V/F's you would also need to view them external of the BIOS (XTU) because before the update my V/F was all wrong. It was reporting an SP71 but with 5200/5300 only needing 1.138 which was way off. Once updated, it adjusted it back to its proper reading.

We went through this with early Strix Z690 BIOS too but not as severe as after a mid cycle major update my SP went up by one point (!). Others ranged from going down 1-5 points to up to 1-3 points as Asus made adjustments based on continual refinements.

Even now you have to jump through hoops to get the Strix Z690 BIOS to properly read the SP on a 13900k (Update ME, Update BIOS, unseat/reseat CPU, check....).

My Z590 will never see a 4000 series but yikes....Asus "magic"

I think my main problem with MB makers and the industry as a whole right now is the gross uptick in MB prices overall. We lament the GPU industry but MB prices are soaring up like crazy overall too. I was already on the fence with Z790 but those prices definitely put the brakes on everything.

Tonight's fun time project..... (Not the $100 new open box special Asus Z590-E binning board. It is already installed in my test case).

vr6et5z.jpg

• Thumb Up 5
  • Like 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

A new lineup of 18 inch laptop was unveiled at CES today. These include offerings from Acer, Alienware, Asus, and Razer.

I was really excited for the return of 18 inch laptops, but the excitement has kinda died already after I saw they're 18 inch 16:10, not 18 inch 16:9. I'm not really sure what the appeal of 16:10 screens is, but I'm also a fan of widescreens so go figure.

There have been some improvements. For example, Alienware's new M18 laptop has a giant unified vapor chamber covering both the CPU and GPU, but all these models look weird to me because of the aspect ratio. I was expecting something larger in a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll wait to see what Clevo has to offer as there is a rumored X370 model coming from them.

In short, there have been improvements, but still nothing that I REALLY like. Nothing fully upgradeable either. At the very least, I want the ability to plop in a desktop CPU into a laptop. The HK CPUs are desktop CPUs, just without the IHS and soldered onto the laptop's motherboard. With the size of these laptops, an LGA socket should be able to be easily included.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Sad 5

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

34 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

Tonight's fun time project..... (Not the $100 new open box special Asus Z590-E binning board. It is already installed in my test case).

vr6et5z.jpg

That's a solid motherboard (same as I am running in my work desktop) with the only Achilles heel being the 6400 limit on RAM overclocking. I have tested about 6 different pairs of UDIMMs in it (including the A-die) and in every case anything above 6400 produces errors and random BSODs. It's solid at 6400 though. It will boot and bench with M-die at 6800, 7000 and 7200, but fails all memory tests with errors.

Edit: Sorry, that is a Z590-E. I looked at it wrong, mine is Z690-E.

• Thumb Up 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

36 minutes ago, Clamibot said:

A new lineup of 18 inch laptop was unveiled at CES today. These include offerings from Acer, Alienware, Asus, and Razer.

I was really excited for the return of 18 inch laptops, but the excitement has kinda died already after I saw they're 18 inch 16:10, not 18 inch 16:9. I'm not really sure what the appeal of 16:10 screens is, but I'm also a fan of widescreens so go figure.

In short, there have been improvements, but still nothing that I REALLY like. Nothing fully upgradeable either. At the very least, I want the ability to plop in a desktop CPU into a laptop. The HK CPUs are desktop CPUs, just without the IHS and soldered onto the laptop's motherboard. With the size of these laptops, an LGA socket should be able to be easily included.

The new 18" laptops is more as replacements for older 17,3 inch models. Not a new SKU. Same also for 16" model that will replace 15 inch models. And the 16:10 ratio will provide slightly better cooling than previous gen gaming laptops. The next gen Jokebook chassis willl be deeper due the new panel ratio. But put lipstick on a pig Jokebook.... The pig Jokebook will still be a Joke. 

Lipstick GIF

For the records... More powerful processors, but still the same capped power from the power adapters (dual PSUs is dead). Yep, moooore and improved Dynamic boooost features. Not more power. So do more with less. Imagine an 600w 4090 in a desktop with a 500w PSU, then you can clearly see where I go (You have to castrate the HW to be able ru run within PSU specs). 

Season 7 Its A Castration GIF

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

paps? you have a problem with 16in beasts lol....then I have a problem with you joking..I have a 16in laptop jokebook. but for a jokebook im happy being a fox would say sheeple. feed  me more koolaid. It does everything except perform well. it is thick it is hot.. every mans dream..its my girl...my baby. but at the end of the day its a horse....a pig that doesnt fly straight..

also to add

I scored 4493 on valley unigine benchmark. if your 3090 up scores above 17972 or higher I will buy you a game of your choice. any game just post a pic of your extreme hd(1080p) score and on the 10th of january PM me and I will send you the code and platform of your choice. gog steam ect..its a new year and i feel like giving back..so stop me

quick edit dont be sad..take the challenge you guys can do it. push your max by 1 mhz....ill reward effort

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1
  • Sad 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

1 hour ago, ryan said:

paps? you have a problem with 16in beasts lol....then I have a problem with you joking..I have a 16in laptop jokebook. but for a jokebook im happy being a fox would say sheeple. feed  me more koolaid. It does everything except perform well. it is thick it is hot.. every mans dream..its my girl...my baby. but at the end of the day its a horse....a pig that doesnt fly straight..

also to add

I scored 4493 on valley unigine benchmark. if your 3090 up scores above 17972 or higher I will buy you a game of your choice. any game just post a pic of your extreme hd(1080p) score and on the 10th of january PM me and I will send you the code and platform of your choice. gog steam ect..its a new year and i feel like giving back..so stop me

I’m not joking. I’m serious. For the 4090. I have returned it. But here is Ungine Superposition 1080P Xtreme and no need for high performance Cpu. A pure GPU benchmark. People can buy whatever they want but if more people buy junk, in the end this is what we “all “will get. Same if you pay mining prices fo Nvidia graphics. Nvidia will price their products equal what you are willing to pay. My reply is only meant as a reflection on today’s and tomorrow’s tech. Amd thats not a Joke. @Mr. Fox post below just shows it perfectly how it is. 

https://hwbot.org/submission/5142154_papusan_unigine_superposition___1080p_xtreme_geforce_rtx_4090_25975_points

• Thumb Up 2
  • Bump 1

sorry im accepting valley only...cpu dependant..i know im mean but if you beat 17972 ill buy you a game on the 10th of jan//even if you just want it for benchmarking. or maybe a 50 dollar amazon gift card or something.

heres the grand daddy of jokebook mainstream. what to expect for 2000 bucks

Screenshot-9.png

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

ok paps ill see if i can get 1/4 of what you got if i cant you get any game or a gift card for 50 usd on the 10th of jan just send a pm on or before the 10th..

this is not limited to 1 person. only like 5 of us lol...dont mind..benchmarking is your guys thing as is mine why not get a reward

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Screenshot-10.png

you need 18392

but @Papusanill send you a 100 dollar gift card on the 10th of jan just pm..and let it be known if you can top papusan ill get you any game or a 100 dollar gift card on the 10th...all major NBT bros are welcome to join

• Like 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

16 minutes ago, ryan said:

ok paps ill see if i can get 1/4 of what you got if i cant you get any game or a gift card for 50 usd on the 10th of jan just send a pm on or before the 10th..

this is not limited to 1 person. only like 5 of us lol...dont mind..benchmarking is your guys thing as is mine why not get a reward

Here is your goal. Maybe 1/5 if you run a perfect bench https://hwbot.org/benchmark/unigine_superposition_-_1080p_xtreme/rankings?hardwareTypeId=videocard_3348&cores=1#start=0#interval=20

Edit. Posted at same time 🙂 And I don't need get a gift card. But thanks. All I want to see is you benching and have fun 🙂

• Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1

nice bro ill send you 100usd of anything you want as long as it isnt a gun lol..not really down for weapons dealing(mr fox might disagree) but yeah just pm me on the 9th or 10th..

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

2 minutes ago, ryan said:

nice bro ill send you 100usd of anything you want as long as it isnt a gun lol..not really down for weapons dealing(mr fox might disagree) but yeah just pm me on the 9th or 10th..

All I want or wish is smiling and happy people. But thanks my friend. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

5 guys in black suits will be at your door in 10 minutes...i suggest highly suggest you take the offer lol

• Haha 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I have a decision to make. Asus sent out my replacement Zenith Extreme II Alpha mobo and I wonder if I should cut my losses. 

Now I have been investigating the Memory 00 - Memory Test error to see if I am doing something wrong in the operation of the motherboard. Comparing what I've had installed when the first board went bad versus what I had installed now. The only three parts that are consistent between the two builds, the CPU, PSU and case. I only had one TRX40 board, so I can't test the CPU, but I am positive it works. I've tested the PSU in two other computers, it works perfectly. The case is an old Thermaltake, like an all metal version of the Core Level 20 (they don't make my chassis any longer).

I think it is the case, shorting out the mobo. The case was the common component in all of my TR40 and TRX40 builds. Also looking at other users with the same Q-code error, I see a pattern with cases: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117210-Trx40-Zenith-Extreme-II-Alpha-Memory-code-00/page3

None of my other Asus mobos have had this memory error because none of them were ever placed in this case. Perhaps I owe Asus an apology on this. 

• Thumb Up 5

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

Newegg had / has a massive drop of 4090s and 7900xtx's happening now if you're looking for one....

Edit: And they're all gone.

I ended up ordering an MSI 4090 Liquid X and cancelled my 4080 since all my BB coupons are now expired post holidays. I still plan on testing the 7900xtx extensively seeing as I have 60 days to return it to BB and I'll see if I'm keeping the 4090 or 7900xtx and putting the differential back into my account.

Seeing @Papusan and @johnksss have garbage memory OCs, I'll be curious to see if it was just random Silicon curse or a 3-peat trend.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Bump 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

1 hour ago, Rage Set said:

I have a decision to make. Asus sent out my replacement Zenith Extreme II Alpha mobo and I wonder if I should cut my losses. 

Now I have been investigating the Memory 00 - Memory Test error to see if I am doing something wrong in the operation of the motherboard. Comparing what I've had installed when the first board went bad versus what I had installed now. The only three parts that are consistent between the two builds, the CPU, PSU and case. I only had one TRX40 board, so I can't test the CPU, but I am positive it works. I've tested the PSU in two other computers, it works perfectly. The case is an old Thermaltake, like an all metal version of the Core Level 20 (they don't make my chassis any longer).

I think it is the case, shorting out the mobo. The case was the common component in all of my TR40 and TRX40 builds. Also looking at other users with the same Q-code error, I see a pattern with cases: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117210-Trx40-Zenith-Extreme-II-Alpha-Memory-code-00/page3

None of my other Asus mobos have had this memory error because none of them were ever placed in this case. Perhaps I owe Asus an apology on this. 

Not sure which case you're using, but I know I had an old Thermaltake Tai-Chi case back in the day and it sent a few motherboards to their graveyard due to shorts. I used to line the perimeter of motherboards and add insulated washers to the posts after a few motherboards died. I used that case for well over 5yrs though. Huge and heavy with enough sharp edges to give the Iron Throne a run for its money I loved it.

Having gotten to know you over these I want to say past 10yrs on the forums (or close to it), you seem very detail oriented and highly technically skilled so generalized user error seems to be close to 0 but sometimes it is the most outlier of situations where you rely on a parts supplier to having done enough testing to rule out what could clearly be seen as red flag conditions.

If you still have interest in the platform you could hunt down another case or even use a plastic protected post open stand and see how it fares.

Or just sell off the parts and move on to new adventures.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Clamibot said:

There have been some improvements. For example, Alienware's new M18 laptop has a giant unified vapor chamber covering both the CPU and GPU, but all these models look weird to me because of the aspect ratio. I was expecting something larger in a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll wait to see what Clevo has to offer as there is a rumored X370 model coming from them.

The new lineup so far is more than underwhelming.

A few "highlights":

Most of them only have two SSD slots - that is right, they cannot even bother to give us decent storage options.

All of them top out as 64GB max memory  - looks like 128GB are a thing of the past now for flagship gaming machines - they do not even pretend to be usable as DTRs.

All of them are really quite small - much smaller than previous gen 17.3" laptops and all but one (Alienware) seem to stay at 7 lbs or below.

None of them seem to have increased the total system power envelope beyond 250W.

Brother @Papusanhas pointed out that none of them will have dual power supplies but to be honest with that power envelope they will not need it.

So far this is extremely disappointing and I would not really be happy with any of these options even aside from the fact that none of them will have MXM graphics or a socketed CPU.

As far as being socketed there is a small chance that there will be DGFF cards in the Alienware M18 but we all know this will not be good for much.

On the relatively positive side I like the 2560 x 1600 options and that 13980HX looks to be a pretty well performing CPU that will not lag that far behind an air cooled 13900K.

But on the graphics side it looks to me as if laptop buyers of high end GPUs will be inferior to desktop systems like never before.

I would personally be happy with a 4060 or 4070 in a laptop so this would not affect me but 4080 and 4090 will lag so far behind their desktop counterparts that the 4090 will be lucky to not fall too far behind a desktop 4070 Ti but at a much higher price point.

Oh well, as long as a 7 lbs laptop can now be called colossal and a "behemoth" we should be good to go 🙄

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-Helios-18-Colossal-gaming-laptop-announced-with-a-250-Hz-mini-LED-display-Intel-Raptor-Lake-HX-processors-and-GeForce-RTX-4000-graphics-cards.678524.0.html

• Thumb Up 5

2 hours ago, ryan said:

Screenshot-10.png

you need 18392

but @Papusanill send you a 100 dollar gift card on the 10th of jan just pm..and let it be known if you can top papusan ill get you any game or a 100 dollar gift card on the 10th...all major NBT bros are welcome to join

Is it a coincidence where you have positioned Superposition on your screen, or strategic?

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

None of them seem to have increased the total system power envelope beyond 250W.

Brother @Papusanhas pointed out that none of them will have dual power supplies but to be honest with that power envelope they will not need it

Yep, no need for it when they have new modern tech as Dynamic boost and AMD's SmartShift features. Just castrate the CPU with firmware/drivers or software if the Gpu need to max out its power. Or just do the opposite if the Cpu need more powa. Everything happens automatically with love from the HW manufacurer/OEMs engineers.

Edit. Look from the horror video from 10:07 min

2 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

So far this is extremely disappointing and I would not really be happy with any of these options even aside from the fact that none of them will have MXM graphics or a socketed CPU.

Why? All this was expected. DTRs is DEAD! Long live, the new slim, skinny and shiny modern laptopspuke2.gif.fec37913b2aedad299098b3e564966a5.gif

ja7TPSC.jpg

• Thumb Up 5

26 minutes ago, 1610ftw said:

The new lineup so far is more than underwhelming.

A few "highlights":

Most of them only have two SSD slots - that is right, they cannot even bother to give us decent storage options.

All of them top out as 64GB max memory  - looks like 128GB are a thing of the past now for flagship gaming machines - they do not even pretend to be usable as DTRs.

All of them are really quite small - much smaller than previous gen 17.3" laptops and all but one (Alienware) seem to stay at 7 lbs or below.

Brother @Papusanhas pointed out that none of them will have dual power supplies but to be honest with that power envelope they will not need it.

As far as being socketed there is a small chance that there will be DGFF cards in the Alienware M18 but we all know this will not be good for much.

On the relatively positive side I like the 2560 x 1600 options and that 13980HX looks to be a pretty well performing CPU that will not lag that far behind an air cooled 13900K.

But on the graphics side it looks to me as if laptop buyers of high end GPUs will be inferior to desktop systems like never before.

I would personally be happy with a 4060 or 4070 in a laptop so this would not affect me but 4080 and 4090 will lag so far behind their desktop counterparts that the 4090 will be lucky to not fall too far behind a desktop 4070 Ti but at a much higher price point.

Oh well, as long as a 7 lbs laptop can now be called colossal and a "behemoth" we should be good to go 🙄

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-Helios-18-Colossal-gaming-laptop-announced-with-a-250-Hz-mini-LED-display-Intel-Raptor-Lake-HX-processors-and-GeForce-RTX-4000-graphics-cards.678524.0.html

1 minute ago, Papusan said:

Yep, no need for it when they have new modern tech as Dynamic boost and AMD's SmartShift features. Just castrate the CPU if the Gpu need to max out its power. Or just the opposite if the Cpu need more powa. 

Why? All this was expected. DTRs is DEAD!

We are officially in the end game in regards to true DTRs being a thing of the past.

Everything is BGA and we feel "lucky" when we can change or upgrade the memory and storage now. Apple set the standard, companies see their crazy profits and follow suit.

I'm just accepting of the fact most users (and I do mean most) do not want to crack open their laptops and get under the hood. They just want to open and use it. When it fails they get it repaired. When it gets too slow they just toss/sell/hand it down and get another newer model and keep it moving. They want them light as possible too.

Me? I don't mind a large body laptop as long as I can get in there and tweak/tune/optimize and hand pick components as I see fit. the X170 series is so far the last in the line to allow that with the NH55 close behind since it has a subpar cooling system for the CPU and a BGA GPU but it is miles better than everything else out there for user upgradability.

We've also officially reached a point that with all the tinkering and self upgrades in the world these new laptops, even locked down and hindered, are going to bury all the older true DTRs in performance both CPU and GPU.

• Thumb Up 5
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The thought of buying any modern laptop is much like what I would imagine the experience of eating a piece of dog doo would be like. Disgusting. And, the idea that it would be an Alienware turdbook is like washing it down with a glass of warm cat pee. I can't think of anything nice to say about laptops in general, and only expletives come to mind when I think of the Alienware brand regardless of the form factor.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

The thought of buying any modern laptop is much like what I would imagine the experience of eating a piece of dog doo would be like. Disgusting. And, the idea that it would be an Alienware turdbook is like washing it down with a glass of warm cat pee. I can't think of anything nice to say about laptops in general, and only expletives come to mind when I think of the Alienware brand regardless of the form factor.

Just look at the video above. Almost no difference vs their gaming-books. They are very proud of the new cooling in the re-hashed chassis for 13th gen unlocked Cpus.  The 240mm AIO should really have been 280mm as minimum. But probably no space in this cheap chassis to mount a proper AIO. 

image.thumb.png.2b996ceb148d230fe8b7ea7298dd07d5.png

What the point offer an unlocked Cpu if the chassis can't have space for the needed cooling? But I expect they are all in for increased profits on the customers lack of common sense. 

• Thumb Up 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Newegg had / has a massive drop of 4090s and 7900xtx's happening now if you're looking for one....

Edit: And they're all gone.

I ended up ordering an MSI 4090 Liquid X and cancelled my 4080 since all my BB coupons are now expired post holidays. I still plan on testing the 7900xtx extensively seeing as I have 60 days to return it to BB and I'll see if I'm keeping the 4090 or 7900xtx and putting the differential back into my account.

Seeing @Papusan and @johnksss have garbage memory OCs, I'll be curious to see if it was just random Silicon curse or a 3-peat trend.

What prices did they have?

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2