NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

This is stupid also....for a card that is quite a bit slower than a 7900xt. Msrp for a 7900xt is $899

Screenshot_20230105_152902_Newegg.jpg

Screenshot_20230105_153511_Newegg.jpg

• Sad 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

WD Black's SN770 500gb/1tb NVME | Toshiba 8Tb 7200rpm Data |

EVGA 1000w SuperNova |32" Agon 1440p 165hz Curved Screen |  Windows 10 LoT 21h2

Looking closer, there is no longer a chip shortage. Chip prices have been falling since April, today Samsung announced a big drop in profits on weak chip demand and thus pricing. Jensen has been bluffing, he will get called soon.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

4 hours ago, cylix said:

What a beautiful case. Very good engineering. Phanteks are on a roll.

Wow, I really like how the black one looks. It's a bit small for my taste, but it looks like a engineering masterpiece. It would not work well for a custom loop due to lack of space. 

3 hours ago, jcordero said:

That makes so much sense, so you look for traces, phases and VRMs in a motherboard first and foremost. What would you look for in buying RAM, SSDs, and CPUs (more cores vs high Ghz, servers vs consumer CPUs)? 

SSDs: This one is a bit subjective, so take this as personal opinion. I always have, and probably always will, go for cheap and capacity. Being the fastest doesn't matter to me one iota. As long as the brand is known to be reliable, even a SATA SSD is fast enough. I can't "feel" any difference of SATA SSD or NVMe SSD. I can measure it with a benchmark, but that's about it. I see no personal benefit spending more for a popular overpriced brand. Silicon Power, Sabrent, TeamGroup, etc. are all perfectly fine and very reliable. Don't waste money spending extra for Samsung, Western Digital, etc.

RAM: Unless you are a rainbow puke fanboy that likes overheating memory modules that are overclock limited due to thermal issues, just get generic Hynix DDR5 modules and tune them yourself. My generic Hynix M-die and A-die memory modules overclock better than any retail kits I tested (and there were too many). They run cooler and you can put your own heat sink on them. No need to install RGB cancer software to stop the rainbow puke because there is not any. Regardless of what route you take, avoid Micron DDR5 like a plague. It sucks at overclocking. Samsung B-die was great for DDR4. It maxes out around 6400 for DDR5. Only buy Hynix M-die or A-die modules. You will have to do research to determine what IC the retail kits have on them because most of the brands do to provide any information about their choice in IC. DDR5-6000 is frequently Samsung B-die. 6200-6400 is usually Hynix M-die and 6800+ is usually Hynix A-die. There is a crappy variant of A-die that has a default SPD clock of 4800 like M-die. The good A-die has a default SPD clock of 5600. Anything less than DDR5-6000 is at risk of being Micron IC. It is dependable, just has little capacity for overclocking.

CPU: Intel ONLY. 12th or 13th Gen i9. Save yourself the frustration and grief that goes hand-in-hand with owning something from AMD. Overclocking is lackluster and the CCX chiplet thing is stupid. Memory overclocking is limited, latency high due to infinity fabric, and FCLK needs to be set low enough to impair memory performance to avoid WHEA errors. (This is my opinion based on past experiences. Others may not agree, but this is framed in the context of overclocking because that is your expressed goal.) If you are going to run stock or do very modest overclocking, you can save money on an AMD CPU.  The question is, can you afford a high-end AM5 motherboard? They are overpriced. AM5 is a much better product because it has no pins to get bent or broken like AM4. It's past due for AM4 to be retired, so only go with AM5 if you plan to go with Team Red.

3 hours ago, Etern4l said:

After seeing the first few seconds, I thought Phanteks got Chris Pratt to review the case lol 

Interesting. I never thought of Dmitry from Hardware Canucks looking like Chris Pratt, but I can see the resemblance.  Especially so at a glance. They could pass as being relatives for sure.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

23 hours ago, Papusan said:

The beauty is hidden in the details.... Not only Nvidia lock down voltage tuning above default for the chips.

AMD’s only allowed overclocking the memory and infinity fabric for the previous-gen 5800X3D, not other forms of core overclocking, but will now allow both the auto-overclocking Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) and use of the Curve Optimizer. AMD tells us that the Curve Optimizer will work best to extract more performance, but both options are available. However, AMD will not allow direct frequency overclocking due to a 1.4V limit for the chip (this was a 1.1V limit with the previous-gen model).

AMD Unveils Three Ryzen 7000X3D V-Cache Chips, Three New 65W Non-X CPUs, Too tomshardware.com

14 hours ago, Papusan said:

AMD now tricks a bit with the chiplets and the stacked 3D cache. The attached 3D V-cache is only on one chiplet, so all CPUs that have two chiplets can clock at least one CCD significantly higher. Thus, the announced Ryzen 7 7800 X3D still has to manage with 400 MHz less clock since the cache is located on the only CCD, but the two Ryzen 9s can at least have one chiplet clocked higher. AMD still names the Ryzen 9 7950X with up to 5.7 GHz and the Ryzen 9 7900X3D with up to 5.6 GHz. The Ryzen 7 7800X3D only clocks at a maximum of 5.0 GHz, while the Ryzen 7 7700X without 3D V-Cache can still run at 5.4 GHz.

Now you have to pay more for lower clock speed. Innovation at its best, LOOL

image.png.4d73198df36a5add57692af078825d29.png

AMD at CES 2023: Innovations and the AMD Ryzen (9 7950X3D and 7900X3D as well as the Ryzen 7 7800X3D) igorslab.de

Isn't it nice? Advertice same high boost clock, but only for one of the two CCDs. I expect this is better than nothing, Huhhh @Mr. Fox You want a real gaming-chips? And you don't need more than that the half Cpu cores can reach max boost clocks. Inniovations has to be todays word. Not so sure having several CCDs on the Cpu substrate is much better than have baby cores as Intel.... Ryzen CCDs and 3D cache = AMDs Intel baby cores (lower boost clocs than the real cores). New has to be better. Always1f926-2642.pngHope Windows 11 scheduler can handle this mess (with two CCDs). Just forget going with Win 10.

This earns or is worth today's.... Tripple facepalm.gif.b420ba6509b239d1e846d44bb1d43512.giffacepalm.gif.b420ba6509b239d1e846d44bb1d43512.giffacepalm.gif.b420ba6509b239d1e846d44bb1d43512.gif

For the records.... The new X3D Ryzen4 chips ain't for all... It can be too toasty.

image.thumb.png.4768183582f156611ba6a43550bdc061.png

Maybe a cooler swap would help over castrating the chips. Or just swap out for the cheaper coming Ryzen 7700 at 65w. The extra you get from selling the unlocked 7700X can go into better cooling. Yep, he have many choices over a brand new X3D chips that clocking less and still run at 95C.

12 hours ago, Ashtrix said:

Yeah 7800X3D is actually losing boost clock from 5.4GHz to 5GHz but unlike R9 processors which have reduced TDP,  R7X3D chip gains 20W extra over 7700X which clocks higher. As for the R9, maybe they see if R9 12C and 16C SKUs gets dual CCD 3D stack it will  either A - Destroy their own R9 existing Zen 4 lineup and pose a threat to Zen 5 itself (wild guess) or B - The clocks will be significantly reduced and give a negative scaling on the MT workloads. 

So AMD does not want to commit fully on the stacking technology and wants to be conservative. Why not just give the R9 CPUs dual cache stacks and made 170W to 200W. Maybe the heat output will be drastic and PPT will be too much and thus balancing out so giving the boost as is on R9 and cutting it a bit on R7.

AMD also reduced 300MHz base clock on the X3D Chips too for all 3 processors, perhaps reduce the heat and maintain power draw is my guess (because non X CPUs are having lower TDP and lower base clock). So they do not want to exceed their AM5 socket PPT target beyond 250W+ because 7950X can go beyond 230W PPT to 250W and increasing it further means 300W, but AMD is going conservative. Look at Intel 450W lol.

Granted to be honest Intel Base Clock is always lower side, 10900K is just 3.5GHz.  And 13900K P core base is just 3GHz. AMD Zen 4 Base clocks were super high at 4.7GHz (7600X, 7900X) literally 10900K boost all core stock lol very fast Zen 4 on base.

All in all it will be a mid range refresh, a small refresh for those who want to buy later into AM5 X670 platform. Intel Raptor Lake Refresh I think they may boost base and boost clocks altogether and call it a day.

10 hours ago, Papusan said:
12 hours ago, Ashtrix said:

PPT will be too much and thus balancing out so giving the boost as is on R9 and cutting it a bit on R7.

Maybe AMD saw that their chips already run hot at todays TDP. Increase it won't do much. They are already running at peak at 95C 89C

Forgot AMD changed Max Operating Temperature (Tjmax) down to 89C to reduce RMA costs for latest and greatest "unlocked locked down" Ryzen4 7xxxX3D chips.

There were also a few reports that the overclocking lock was bypassed by a few overclockers and we know for certain that a few motherboard vendors were working on a BIOS for the Ryzen 7 5800X3D to enable overclock support but that didn't pan out and AMD hit hard with the restrictions which mean those plans had to go down the drain.

This isn't something new coming from the Red camp. They even did something similar to their newest Radeon graphics cards. So AMD products ain't for power/performance enthusiasts anymore.  All is about offering Gamer-kid processors and gamer-kid graphics cards. + maximize profits from its own audience. 

image.png.7c23a2831508ff5adf12af89bde9e324.png

Here is more nice info bro Ashtrix. 

AMD always surprise people in a good bad way. Just look at all the hype stuff about massively increased performance for their new Radeon cards... Nice with fancy features as Cpu X3D cashe. Isn't it bro @Mr. Fox? 🤥 AMD had to reduce the Max Operating Temperature (Tjmax) down from 95°C for the vanilla Ryzen 7xxx-X down to 89°C for their new shiny locked down chips.

And its nice seeing AMD removed features as "Unlocked for Overclocking" in spec sheets for the new even they said this wouldn't happen for the next gen x3D chips several months ago. Thay said they would offer overclocking an not castrate tuning for next gen. Either they are liers or they don't know anything about own home brewed products. Could it be that AMD have learned a lot more stuff from our old friend F. Azor the last couple of years?  

Last year, when AMD launched its Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU, ex-Head of Technical Marketing, Robert Hallock stated that they were quick in rolling out the Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU in the gaming market so it is likely that given enough time to mature, AMD could have future generations of 3D V-Cache chips that support overclocking just like any other CPU.

Today's new word...  "locked down" unlocked processors, LOOL

image.thumb.png.5c03033e54ceb336fecadc83402ea81b.png

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-announces-ryzen-7800x3d-7900x3d-and-7950x3d.446165/page-5#post-6090833

9 hours ago, Raiderman said:

This is so stupid.....I guess I chose the wrong time to get back into PC tech. Newegg is pissing me off, as I've noticed that with many of their gpu's, they allow up to 20 per order....so scalpers can purchase hundreds under different names, then resell them back on Newegg's site.

Should always be a limit of 2!

Screenshot_20230105_143704_Newegg.jpg

Retailers/AIB partners have always been scalpers. Imagine how many graphics cards they have prioritized only for miners the last 2 years. Less work and fast business if only one person buy loads of cards.  And this way they can increase the prices of all cards (higher ASP).

8 hours ago, electrosoft said:

If you're not happy with MSI overall why take a chance? Wait for an Asus Strix 4090 if that's what you want. I do know my bud's Suprim X 4090 air cooled model memory clocks to 1950 no problem. I'll be the first to admit if price is no object, I'd probably grab a ROG too.

People get wrapped up (rightly so) on costs, but the first thing I do with all new hardware offerings is rank them on desirability then re-rank them on cost vs desirability. 🙂

I wouldn't get a Zotac simply because I can't have @johnksss smirking and gloating at me. 🙂

Never pay more than MSRP (or close to it) and never, ever buy from a 3rd party scalper who is a parasite and purposely buying up cards to jack up the prices and resell.

Routinely "anti-consumer" results in "pro-profits" for resellers and we know it's all about the profits. Newegg is no different than Amazon, Walmart or eBay in this scenario allowing third party sellers to scarf up inventory and relist at jacked up prices for their marketplace cut. They also get a cut from the initial sale too.

What card are you looking for to upgrade your current GPU?

Thanks. I have to sleep on this. The Rog cards haven't been in the shop as far I know since release... Thats the problem. Maybe because Asus want heavly premium for this card and people rather want the cheapest. 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

I am going to really consider the Level 20 @Mr. Fox suggested, as it looks to be the successor to the Thermaltake Core X5 that I have now. I have removed all of the side and top panels for a while now, essentially turning it into a testbench. I would have loved the 1000D, but it appears to be sold out everywhere. 

I also need to buy two to three ATX cases to build rigs out of all of these PC components I have, since I missed the boat selling my 3090's individually.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

7 hours ago, Rage Set said:

I am going to really consider the Level 20 @Mr. Fox suggested, as it looks to be the successor to the Thermaltake Core X5 that I have now. I have removed all of the side and top panels for a while now, essentially turning it into a testbench. I would have loved the 1000D, but it appears to be sold out everywhere. 

I also need to buy two to three ATX cases to build rigs out of all of these PC components I have, since I missed the boat selling my 3090's individually.

All suggested is good options. As long the boxes are big enough and in black. I like the French doors on the 1000D to hide all cables (the small notes is to tell where each cable is connected to).  And the dark tinted tempered glass make it all look nice and clean. Place for 8x 2.5" and 5x 3.5" disks. And you can put in a few 3.5" on top of the PSU case if needed as well. Loads of space in this chassis.

I use only M.2 and 2.5" disks. Hence I have taken out the tray on the backside for the old 3.5" spinning disks. I rather use this space to route the water tubes directly in the front radiators bottom (no sharp tube bends and no 90 degrees angles connections is needed). And space is big enough so you can use the better 2x45 rotary connections that have much more pleasant bends than the shorter harsh 90 degres angles. For me its the perfect chassis with lots of space for custom cooling.

I can even throw in a ITX system with full custom cooling if needed. And the space in the chassis doesnt stop you from adding a 3rd pump or max out with etc 2x dual D5 pumps. The only drawback is that the box is so damn heavy with all parts that you need a plate with wheels (or a strong back) to move it. I bet it weight between 45 and 50kg.

I even put a black sticker on the flashy blue logo on the top radiator (left side)🙂 And the PCIe cables for the Gpu could' be done better. I haven't done much to put up the cables prettier with combs for the GPU (I swap out and in cards often so that is wasted time). So thats that. The small cable with the tape on at the bottom is the new modern Nvidia 12VHPWR cable. Ready to be used once I get back a new 4090. Looks a lot better with that one in use.

image.thumb.png.5453a3358b8dcdc3186092eb47e23f69.png

image.thumb.png.3d5463578b256761b47452e81aa44d47.png

This is not the system to move for those that struggle going arond with a thin wimpy sub 1kg Jokebook in their hands more than 1 minute, LOOL

Edit. Here's the 1000D case compared to the mid tower (to show the size) I used for the build to my son. 

image.thumb.png.0b34861e3accd6f4b363aa8b5466326d.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, this is as expected. But the price is still several hundreds too much. 

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT now under MSRP in US and EU
Newegg has started selling its first RDNA3 desktop GPU under official suggested retail price.
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-reference-design-drops-below-msrp-to-880

Around two weeks ago, the RX 7900 XT started to lose value in EU markets. The card has dropped from its €1049 launch price to €999 in less than two weeks. Another two weeks later the card can be found for a further €20 less. This means that the price has already been reduced by 6.7%

I wonder when we will see Nvidia also has to go the same route and cut of some of its profits. The retailers shouldn't pay the whole loss.  

• Thumb Up 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

3 hours ago, Papusan said:

All suggested is good options. As long the boxes are big enough and in black. I like the French doors on the 100D to hide all cables (the small notes is to tell where each cable is connected to).  And the dark tinted tempered glass make it all look nice and clean. Place for 8x 2.5" and 5x 3.5" disks. And you can put in a few 3.5" on top of the PSU case if needed as well. Loads of space in this chassis.

I use only M.2 and 2.5" disks. Hence I have taken out the tray on the backside for the old 3.5" spinning disks. I rather use this space to route the water tubes directly in the front radiators bottom (no sharp tube bends and no 90 degrees angles connections is needed). And space is big enough so you can use the better 2x45 rotary connections that have much more pleasant bends than the harsh 90 degres angles. For me its the perfect chassis with lots of space for custom cooling.

I can even throw in a ITX system with full custom cooling if needed. And the space in the chassis doesnt stop you from adding a 3rd pump or max out with etc 2x dual D5 pumps. The only drawback is that the box is so heavy with all parts that you need a plate with wheels (or a strong back) to move it. I bet it weight between 45 and 50kg🙂

I even put a black sticker on the flashy blue logo on the top radiator (left side)🙂 And the PCIe cables for the Gpu could' be done better. I haven't done much to put up the cables prettier with combs for the GPU (I swap out and in cards often so that is wasted time). So thats that. The small cable with the tape on at the bottom is the new modern Nvidia 12VHPWR cable. Ready to be used once I get back a new 4090. Looks a lot better with that one in use.

image.thumb.png.5453a3358b8dcdc3186092eb47e23f69.png

image.thumb.png.3d5463578b256761b47452e81aa44d47.png

This is not the system to move for those that struggle going arond with a thin wimpy sub 1kg Jokebook in their hands more than 1 minute, LOOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, this is as expected. But the price is still several hundreds too much. 

Newegg has started selling its first RDNA3 desktop GPU under official suggested retail price.
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-reference-design-drops-below-msrp-to-880

Around two weeks ago, the RX 7900 XT started to lose value in EU markets. The card has dropped from its €1049 launch price to €999 in less than two weeks. Another two weeks later the card can be found for a further €20 less. This means that the price has already been reduced by 6.7%

I wonder when we will see Nvidia also has to go the same route and cut of some of its profits. The retailers shouldn't pay the whole loss.  

It looks great. I think it is the best tower case money can buy.

As Brother @Rage Setpointed out, the Level 20 XT with the top and sides removed is like an open bench. I guess that is what sold me on it the most. I might paint the silver pillars black at some point. Having the motherboard horizontal on a removable tray and the GPU in the upright position makes working on things very easy. Laying flat is also really nice for liquid metal on the CPU.

Something off topic, but kind of cool. If you have any old mSATA SSDs that you want to put to good use, check this out.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

7 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Looking closer, there is no longer a chip shortage. Chip prices have been falling since April, today Samsung announced a big drop in profits on weak chip demand and thus pricing. Jensen has been bluffing, he will get called soon.

2 hours ago, Papusan said:

As much as they don't want it to happen, the market is correcting. We saw this with memory (DDR5 is plummeting in price), storage, CPUs (hello AMD) and now we'll see it with GPUs especially 2nd tier cards that are grossly overpriced.

The only problem might be Jensen's stubborness. Look at how he managed to keep 3080 and below cards at or near MSRP even now with a glut of cards. He can do the same with 4000 series. Worst case scenario for consumers is you build up inventory and let it trickle out while you sell to other segments of the market. We need the glut of ADA cards to be so severe he has to cut prices or the bean counters step in and come to the conclusion sales are down regardless of cuts so keep it as is.

7900xt / 4080 / 4070ti are just simply priced too high and as we move deeper into the new year it will start to show. I've been saying over and over since October 2022 that ~Feb 2023 is when we will start to get real clarity.

Now if only something could correct the motherboard market pricing....

• Thumb Up 5
  • Bump 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Sony Has Declared That The Great PS5 Shortage Is Over At CES

Jensen, you are up next sir. Actually, the whole game is up. 

It's not a shortage anymore, it's inflation, he will state. No matter what, we will not win this war unless the majority of people stop buying. 

• Thumb Up 5
  • Thanks 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

21 minutes ago, Rage Set said:

It's not a shortage anymore, it's inflation, he will state. No matter what, we will not win this war unless the majority of people stop buying. 

100%. It will never stop as long as we continue to go with the flow. Refusing to pay more than a certain amount (even below MSRP) will bring prices down even during a shortage. Product rotting on store shelves because nobody is willing to pay the asking price will be reduced.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1

More affirmation....

If you have a 3090 or 3090ti, the 4080 is a non starter (along with the 7900xtx)....

4090 or nothing....

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

On 1/5/2023 at 7:04 PM, Ashtrix said:

So AMD does not want to commit fully on the stacking technology and wants to be conservative. Why not just give the R9 CPUs dual cache stacks and made 170W to 200W. Maybe the heat output will be drastic and PPT will be too much and thus balancing out so giving the boost as is on R9 and cutting it a bit on R7.

AMD walk their own ways. Using its competitor's products for their CES presentation and castrating own products, LOOL CIGAR.gif.6af9e877cc4b42a8053e428e9b479761.gifCIGAR.gif.6af9e877cc4b42a8053e428e9b479761.gifCIGAR.gif.6af9e877cc4b42a8053e428e9b479761.gif

Me thinkking about AMD right now.....

image.png.19e3804e812db7a0604a60a5d753cb5f.png

Apple’s 14-Inch MacBook Pro Was Used For AMD’s CES Keynote, The Same Presentation That Undermined The M1 Pro’s Performance

I have already mentioned this move in the post below. But nice others can see it with same glasses. 

AMD Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs Have A 6C Lower Tjmax of 89C Versus The 95C On Non 3D V-Cache SKUs

There's a good reason why AMD chose to go with a lower temperature limit with its 3D V-Cache chips and it's the same reason that manual overclocking isn't enabled on these parts.

The hybrid layout of the dual CCD SKUs such as the Ryzen 9 7950X3D & Ryzen 9 7900X3D is already being optimized in the Windows 11 OS but it remains to be seen how high temperatures will affect the clock operation on these parts. You will definitely require some high-end cooling solutions to stay within the 89C limit. That might also explain why AMD chose to go with a lower 120W TDP on the higher-end SKUs to limit them from using excess power and running into the thermal wall. 

Isn't it nice... AMD have finally understood that their audience ain't happy with 95C. And the best part... Less RMA due cooked/fried 3D V-cashe😀

On 1/5/2023 at 9:32 PM, Papusan said:

Maybe AMD saw that their chips already run hot at todays TDP. Increase it won't do much. They are already running at peak at 95C

20 hours ago, Papusan said:

Forgot AMD changed Max Operating Temperature (Tjmax) down to 89C to reduce RMA costs for latest and greatest "unlocked locked down" Ryzen4 7xxxX3D chips.

• Thumb Up 4

GN really hates the 4070Ti.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Lian Li Lancool III | Ryzen 9 7950X | 48gb G-skill Trident Z5 DDR5 8000mhz | MSI Mpg X670E Carbon |

AsRock Taichi Radeon 7900xtx Bykski Block |Raijintek Scylla Pro 360 custom loop| Crucial T700 1tb

1 hour ago, tps3443 said:

This SP121 P-Core 13900K is a BEAST in the EAST chopping down a very respectable 45,200 in R23 lol. My water is not even that cold. Maybe 17-18C. This chip is really good. 

mm5SVKJ.png

Very nice. Congratulations, Brother. I wish I had your luck on having abnormally good CPUs drop in my lap. Maybe it's good that I do not. It would be more difficult to keep my priorities in check, and that is already hard enough.

1 hour ago, Raiderman said:

GN really hates the 4070Ti.

The price makes it easy to hate on it. If it were priced like a 3060 should be, then there would be no basis for hate or disappointment. It would be a mediocre product at a mediocre price. Nobody likes getting raped, unless they have some sort of untreated mental illness. This is an Arc A770 competitor and should be priced like one. I'd buy an A770 for $350 if I needed a GPU, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than double for this.

• Thumb Up 6

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Very nice. Congratulations, Brother. I wish I had your luck on having abnormally good CPUs drop in my lap. Maybe it's good that I do not. It would be more difficult to keep my priorities in check, and that is already hard enough.

The price makes it easy to hate on it. If it were priced like a 3060 should be, then there would be no basis for hate or disappointment. It would be a mediocre product at a mediocre price. Nobody likes getting raped, unless they have some sort of untreated mental illness. This is an Arc A770 competitor and should be priced like one. I'd buy an A770 for $350 if I needed a GPU, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than double for this.

Yeah this has been a really fun CPU. I am genuinely shocked that I have the (16) E-Cores R23 stable at 4.8Ghz. That is madness. 

13900KF

On 12/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, Papusan said:

Have +87mv aviable on the slider. Have tested several vbios but this one works great. But the stupids at nvidia removed voltage adjustments in any type of OC software with latest drivers. Voltage tuning work well for all drivers up to I think 512.95. I think max is 1.28 or 1.3V. And voltage monitoring isn't 100% reliable for Maxwell. 1.280v custom vbios is in fact 1.3V real voltage from my understanding. 

But why change this now? 6 years after the Maxwell cards got relased. Me think Nvidia screwed up. You also needed beta OC software to be able to adjust the small voltage headroom for 4090. I expect the same for 4080. 

It seems Nvidia treating desktop cards equal bad as Mobile graphics nowadays. Just look at what they tried do with the 12GB scam version of 4080 (brand it as a real 4080). New times and new screw ups. Just as expected.

On 12/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, johnksss said:

Beta over clock software for the 4090? My sliders worked on all 3 of my cards, provided it was only 50mv. I'm not sure I understand my friend?

As to older cards you may be right. The oldest card I have at the moment is a 1070 in my server and it moves like only 43mv. Now that one is on a much older driver as well.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, Papusan said:

Me had latest stable Msi Afteburner installed. Fully working voltage control on all my cards. Swap out and in and no problem with any of my cards. Me put in the brand new 4090. Me see the voltage slider is greyed out (can't adjust voltage). Me downloaded and  installled beta version and the voltage slider come back in the light again. This for the 4090. Maybe new card, but i mean it should work for all cards. Even the newest.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, johnksss said:

On any driver that does not have voltage control:

Add this line at the bottom of the [startup] in the profile folder/profile for the card you are running. Make sure voltage has been unlocked using the msi settings page. restart msi afterburner and you should have voltage control

[settings]

vddc_generic_detection=1

PS:

Make use to take control of the file or it wont let you save the changes.

ACqrVUs.png

On 12/18/2022 at 2:37 PM, Mr. Fox said:

There is going to be a separate file for each GPU/HWID that has been installed in your system, and if you flash a different vBIOS from a GPU with a different HWID that will also create a new file that has to be modded. If you save your settings to one of the profiles, that will also create a new file for each saved profile. The one that applies to your current GPU has its HWID in the file name.

As many video cards as you have played with I am shocked there are not more than three files unless this is a clean Windoze installation.

Have checked more on this. Forgot I had this problem before I once again installed new drivers. Regardless what I do. Newer drivers stop me from voltage control in Msi Afterburner. Also Zotac's own OC tool for this cards don't work anymore. Isn't it pervers? Tried once again edit the file. No go. Then I found this thread below. Exactly same card and same behaviour. Whats wrong with Nvidia? And can Zotac let Nvidia destroy for people who have paid money for the card do this? I need to take contact with Zotac forum/support.

image.png.c4cf78bf72ea5e4d85a75736defa3f5b.png

Posted a new thread on Zotac/reddit

• Sad 3

23 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Have checked more on this. Forgot I had this problem before I once again installed new drivers. Regardless what I do. Newer drivers stop me from voltage control in Msi Afterburner. Also Zotac's own OC tool for this cards don't work anymore. Isn't it pervers? Tried once again edit the file. No go. Then I found this thread below. Exactly same card and same behaviour. Whats wrong with Nvidia? And can Zotac let Nvidia destroy for people who have paid money for the card do this? I need to take contact with Zotac forum/support.

image.png.c4cf78bf72ea5e4d85a75736defa3f5b.png

Posted a new thread on Zotac/reddit

We have seen the Green Goblin do this in the past with messed up drivers. Did you also test with NVIDIA Inspector to see if it is locked? They never care about how their decisions affect owners of older GPUs. They stopped pretending to care about 9-series product owners when 10-series GPUs were released. They only pretend to care about current generation GPUs. If people do not continue throwing money at new GPUs they are no longer valued. Even when they do keep feeding the pig, it is open for debate whether or not they actually value the people feeding them.

• Thumb Up 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

We have seen the Green Goblin do this in the past with messed up drivers. Did you also test with NVIDIA Inspector to see if it is locked? They never care about how their decisions affect owners of older GPUs. They stopped pretending to care about 9-series product owners when 10-series GPUs were released. They only pretend to care about current generation GPUs. If people do not continue throwing money at new GPUs they are no longer valued. Even when they do keep feeding the pig, it is open for debate whether or not they actually value the people feeding them.

Everything is locked down. I mean I checked also with Inspector. And Zotac's own software you can add voltage. But it wont work fo the card when you run a render test with newer drivers. I will test with what driver they started the castration. DISGUSTING!!! A custom card that come from the factory with unlocked voltage slider and software for voltage tuning. And this is what you get back from paying premium for the top dog of custom cards a few years later. 

For the records. Zotac have engineered own cards. They don't follow the nvidia referance design.

Edit. Installed 512.95 and voltage control works. Also for Nvidia Inspector. Install later nvidia driver and everything will be locked down again. Nice. 

The voltage crippling start at nvidia driver 516.40 (June 15, 2022) https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/516.40/516.40-win11-win10-release-notes.pdf

Go back to 512.95 and the voltage slider works again. This is pervers!!! Who's next on the death list to Nvidia? Pascal or even Turing? Maybe both at same time? Come on... Take 4000 series ADA cards as well. Make it complete.

From the link above...

image.png.c654cb8ad4e4cb2d2804ce55e565e2b2.png

• Sad 4

16 hours ago, Rage Set said:

16 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

100%. It will never stop as long as we continue to go with the flow. Refusing to pay more than a certain amount (even below MSRP) will bring prices down even during a shortage. Product rotting on store shelves because nobody is willing to pay the asking price will be reduced.

Case in point...

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1

I'm scrolling my reddit feed and this pop up😄👍 @Papusan

IMG_20230107_125346.jpg

• Thumb Up 3
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Serious price cut to the Merc 7900xt to $899.99 from $999.99 and $20 on reference model less than a month into launch on BB. This will eventually trickle upward to the 4070ti and 4080 unless Jensen just doesn't care and will be hard headed with his pricing.

917851622_7900xtpricecuts.thumb.JPG.4a0e3698e2bc18eae42bee208fd8222e.JPG

It isn't as if the 4070ti isn't a decent gaming card....just overpriced:

Followed up with just overall a whole bunch of "meh" if you have a 3080 or greater card.....

• Thumb Up 2

1 hour ago, electrosoft said:

Serious price cut to the Merc 7900xt to $899.99 from $999.99 and $20 on reference model less than a month into launch on BB. This will eventually trickle upward to the 4070ti and 4080 unless Jensen just doesn't care and will be hard headed with his pricing.

917851622_7900xtpricecuts.thumb.JPG.4a0e3698e2bc18eae42bee208fd8222e.JPG

It isn't as if the 4070ti isn't a decent gaming card....just overpriced:

Wow, they lowered it to MSRP? Arent we lucky 😂

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 4