NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

2 hours ago, Etern4l said:

ROCm (AMD”s counter to CUDA) was in a sorry state when I looked at it a year ago, didn’t even support the current consumer cards (6900 at the time). Good to see they are making progress while maintaining competitive pricing across the entire product line - shocking as that may seem to us, NVidia slaves, I know. More seriously though, both them and Intel face the same challenge: must provide a software gap discount while they are catching up, and they have to make progress on software with less cash - a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Luckily there is now also more software that leverages ROCm as people are fed up with NVidia”s grip on the industry, and are being outspoken about it. I love the 2 slot FF BTW.

If bro @Raidermanwould be so kind as to run a couple of benchmarks with those drivers, such as AIDA64 GPGPU, and maybe Indigo and Blender, we could see if they help the card deliver compute performance that”s closer to “theoretical performance”, and we could see if and how far things have improved just thanks to the driver/software vs launch review numbers which frankly weren’t corresponding to the specs.

Edit: now that I think about it, the odds are not great unless said benchmarks specifically utilise ROCm rather than OpenCL, but worth a quick shot I guess.

The part that seems weird to me is why this is not already part of the ordinary Adrenaline consumer driver stack. Had I not read the documentation with Cinebench 2024 on GPU compatibility (trying to understand why my 6900 XT was flagged incompatible) I would have had no idea that this obscure driver package even exists. It's not even the standard Pro drivers. Unless it degrades performance in some way that I have not discovered, not incorporating it into the standard consumer/gamer Adrenaline and Pro drivers seems illogical.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

3 hours ago, Raiderman said:

Not jumping in to defend AMD's drivers, because they do somewhat suck. I miss the old CCC days for sure, as I didnt have to reset my PC  if the driver crashed while benching (most of the time) The modern app model is broken, and pointless IMO, and should have been abandoned years ago. I do, however, like the update frequency in which AMD releases their drivers. On a side note, I am very pleased with the purchase of the 7900xtx, and think its a fun card to bench, especially with a water block installed. (of what little time I have had with it)

Update: Newegg has not asked for the extra DDR5 8000mhz ram back, so I have some 2x16gb Trident Z5 available on the cheap.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374449?Item=N82E16820374449

You definitely picked the best 7900xtx of the group IMHO. It is the one I would get (and keep it in my basket on Newegg). I'm really tempted to give it another looksy 8 months removed from my first go around with that XFX 7900XTX (4X gonna give it to ya!) edition

Whew, those sticks are still ~$250. Let me know how much you're asking.

2 hours ago, tps3443 said:

The nvidia control panel has been almost the same since like 2004. 😂 lol. I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I too remember the Catalyst Control Center though at least they had the built in overclocking which was only good for quick out of overclocking on a new OS. My last AMD GPU was a RX480 from launch day. Amazing GPU. I miss really those days. I paid $250 dollars for a 8GB GPU on launch day that could game 1080P/1440P really well. But, that was also when 30-60FPS was accepted lol. So maybe we’re all being duped after all. 

Anyways, I think any of these GPU’s will get the job done. I wouldn’t mind giving the 7900XTX liquid devil a try. 

I'm sure if you picked up a 7900xtx you would block it so fast....lol. Plenty of blocks available. Liquid Devil is close to the Asrock 7900xtx for best VRMs and board design. I believe it only has one or two less stages.

• Thumb Up 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

5 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

AMD and Intel both now have written policies that expressly deny warranty on processors that have been overclocked so they don't need any more ammunition to screw us. It is premeditated on both of their parts.

As far as I know, ASUS is the only one with those stats logged in the UEFI. It would be naive to believe that it won't be utilized for a nefarious purpose. There's no legitimate reason to log the information if they're not going to use it for something and you can bet your booty it won't be something good. And, that would fit their modus operandi as a company.

One more example of uninvited surveillance designed to benefit the entity surreptitiously gathering the data rather than the party producing it.

welp thats the thing, they can write it into their warranty policies all day long but how are they gonna trace it back to overclocking when they receive defective silicon?

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

2 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

welp thats the thing, they can write it into their warranty policies all day long but how are they gonna trace it back to overclocking when they receive defective silicon?

If you lie and say no it was never overclocked I doubt they can. Whether they believe you are telling the truth or not is irrelevant if they can't prove it. But, who knows how the telemetry/surveillance data from ASUS might be leveraged, abused or misused. I think that is a different issue/problem than the position that AMD and Intel have taken that overclocking voids the CPU warranty. In a most sinister way there could be an opportunity for conspiracy or collusion to provide the evidence needed by the CPU manufacturer to avoid paying for replacement. In the least nefarious scenario, they could be collect data about things that are quite simply none of their business.

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8200 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

Yep, gif is the next to increase price premium… Want it bad bro Fox? You can have a gif of my history and avatar puking all day😅 Search up history of Papusan’s puking avatars. Just search up one of my two avatars. Police and team America puking as pointing stick. My trademark. People wondered where my creativity come from. I’m old so old so the modern kids didn’t know where to look. Yep, I’m in front of most with a mile. Yep, become old ls is an advantage. Many throughout the years have asked me about my history. Here it is…

Edit  enjoy. My avatars is built from this old history. Sooo me. Can’t come closer than Papusan’s old history. And this have followed me all time and can’t be changed  It’s me. Yep, @ryan now you finally know the whole history about your awesome old friend on notebooktalk/NBR called Papusan. Now You know me better than what you know about your own mother :)

Papusan is more than crocs bro @electrosoft 🙂

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18843/gigabyte-z790-aorus-xtreme-motherboard-review-flagship-z790-with-impressive-vrm-thermals/8

One flagship model on Intel's Z790 chipset that ticks the above boxes is the GIGABYTE Z790 Aorus Xtreme; well, aside from the screen that can't display gifs

Edit. Fantastic weather. Evening outside Africa. 21:45 and 27C. My wonderful wife in front 🙂

IMG-6230.jpg

IMG-6236.jpg

• Haha 4

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

The part that seems weird to me is why this is not already part of the ordinary Adrenaline consumer driver stack. Had I not read the documentation with Cinebench 2024 on GPU compatibility (trying to understand why my 6900 XT was flagged incompatible) I would have had no idea that this obscure driver package even exists. It's not even the standard Pro drivers. Unless it degrades performance in some way that I have not discovered, not incorporating it into the standard consumer/gamer Adrenaline and Pro drivers seems illogical.

The drivers must be new, remember that this stuff didn’t support latest consumer products  a year ago. I guess they could have released them to the public as beta. Clearly they are struggling in the PC software department to some extent, although the direction of travel is encouraging.

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Got this bad boy today for 50 euros for a hp z640 (E5 2667v4 )that I repaired, after a repaste and cleaning it's ready to bench.😆 Now I need to modify the bios to 1000+ mhz. I heard is manageable if I go further need to change  the blower cooling with something more adequate

IMG-20230906-WA0010.jpg

• Thumb Up 7

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

It’s kind of annoying that Nvidia has not released new drivers just for the Starfield game already. Where are my free performance gains at? Does Nvidia not care if the 4080/4090 performance isn’t the fastest? Nvidia needs to get it together.

I assumed with all of these people reviewing the game, nvidia wouldn’t want them all to say. “Yep, runs best on AMD” lol. “Nvidia has yet to release any drivers improving performance and optimization since launch of Starfield” 

They just took our money and ran lol. Nvidia did release a driver on 8/22. But that was before the game was even released. Of course, AMD has a new drivers out, AMD dropped some

new drivers today for Starfield too?!. Those AMD guys are just loving their tech. 😭

• Haha 5
  • Bump 1

13900KF

11 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

It’s kind of annoying that Nvidia has not released new drivers just for the Starfield game already. Where are my free performance gains at? Does Nvidia not care if the 4080/4090 performance isn’t the fastest? Nvidia needs to get it together.

I assumed with all of these people reviewing the game, nvidia wouldn’t want them all to say. “Yep, runs best on AMD” lol. “Nvidia has yet to release any drivers improving performance and optimization since launch of Starfield” 

They just took our money and ran lol. Nvidia did release a driver on 8/22. But that was before the game was even released. Of course, AMD has a new drivers out, AMD dropped some

new drivers today for Starfield too?!. Those AMD guys are just loving their tech. 😭

They're busy selling GPUs to AI and letting modders take care of their performance issues in the form of Frame Gen. 

• Haha 5
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

13 hours ago, electrosoft said:

The consumer then reviews their product line and decides what fits in their budget and if they want one of their GPUs or perhaps go elsewhere to AMD which has a pretty nice overall product stack of their own. Like I said, no one is forcing anybody to purchase one of their products. If they choose Nvidia in the end, I would not be so arrogant as to think they are being selfish or myopic just because their criteria is different than yours.

That's one type of capitalist behaviour, the most common for sure, but strictly myopic and thus often suboptimal. 

I hope it's not controversial that, from the customer's perspective, monopolies or huge market dominance such as enjoyed by NVidia are quite undesirable. What we would want is for the industry to resemble say autos, with several competing companies vying for our business. That's immediately unrealistic for a number of reasons, however, at the very least we have 2-3 players which are strong candidates are likely to fulfill this purpose.   

It immediately follows that any financial support to the current dominant company moves us in the direction opposite to the reasonable goal. We can rationalise this away however we like, but the above is an incontrovertible fact, whatever the short-term motivation.

If people incorporated more of that sort of longer-term planning into their behaviour and prioritised their purchases accordingly at scale, this would result in very quick changes in the way NVidia operates (in this case).

For a motivating example of a poor outcome resulting from myopic capitalist behaviour, we need to look no further than at the gigantic example of PRC and how it came to be a global superpower challenging the West, as a direct result of capitalist greed and lack of foresight.

Mind you, I'm not saying that there is a superior systemic alternative to capitalism, I'm just suggesting we can do way better within the system. Note there is no state intervention involved in the proposal, no new regulation, no institutions, just people adjusting the way they think. Food for.

13 hours ago, electrosoft said:

If your theory is paper calculations show they are relatively equal in rasterization performance but the discrepancy and vast majority of benchmarks and reviews that show the 4090 is clearly superior overall in rasterization (and then basically everything else) is based upon software and/or Nvidia dev optimizations then I believe you are in error.

Feel free to support your theory with hard evidence outside of tech specs on paper. I'm always open to change my mind when presented with hard evidence.

Starfield. Q.E.D. As you may know, I only need one example to disprove your 4090s undrelying massive hardware superiority theory. The more I look at it, the clearer it is a lot of the performance differences are explained through PC software issues (not just drivers, libraries used, optimisation etc.)

For an example of this, take a look at the following review excerpt:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/7

Good old Tom came up with a review which tested the new Blender engine and found the 4090 to perform far better. Job done, the consumer is ready to make his informed decision, right?

Not necessarily. According to the blog posts below, you do need the new experimental driver to enable massive performance improvements in Blender 3.1+ on AMD GPUs by bypassing OpenCL:

https://code.blender.org/2021/11/cycles-x-project-update/

https://code.blender.org/2021/11/next-level-support-for-amd-gpus/

Did Tom use that driver? I can't be bothered to look for this detail but almost surely not - they wouldn't want to test using experimental drivers by default anyway, and if they did, they would have clearly indicated this. 

We could easily verify those results if someone, ekhm bro @Raiderman, was willing to burn some time to do the legwork. Just run the same version of blender benchmark as Tom did with the HIP driver.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

RTX-4090-CB24.png

After they've cancelled the 4090 Ti, or at least it's definitely looking this way. I gave up and am swapping the 4080 to a 4090 again lol. My local BB had a couple in stock this morning. I had a $50 coupon from them. 

Of course it's a 1070mV limited chip. No worries, a quick vBIOS flashed fixed that and now I have a full 1100mV OG version. Boosts to 2715Mhz out of box completely stock. Temps are cold on this beast too, the coolers on the FE are insanely good this gen. That vapor chamber and PTM doing work. With OC at stock 1050mV voltage I can hit 2955mhz. VRAM seems decent but not amazing. Unfortunately it seems it's going to top out around +1600. Have not tried to punch the voltage up though. Will see how far it will go, but honestly even at stock settings these cards are insane enough. 

• Like 2
Spoiler

The Beast Asus Z790 APEX | Intel i9 13900K | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix OC | 64gb DDR5 7466 CL34 Dual Rank A-Dies | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | Innocn 4K 160Hz Mini LED HDR1000 | LG 27GN950-B 4K 160Hz | Corsair 170i Elite LCD 420mm AIO | Corsair 7000D | EVGA 1600w T2

Little Beast EVGA Z690 DARK | Intel i9 13900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 SK Hynix DDR5 8000 CL36 A-Dies | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | LG OLED C1 4K 120Hz G-Sync/FreeSync | Alienware AW2721D 1440p 240Hz G-Sync Ultimate | Corsair 115i Elite 280mm AIO | Lian Li 011 Dynamic | EVGA 1000w P6

Not sure this is so tempting for the old gamer bro @Mr. Fox

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfields-disappointing-intro-is-bethesdas-weakest-even-if-we-do-get-a-free-spaceship/

But, like practically all the graphics cards of this generation, it feels like we're getting the bare minimum, just enough.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-rx-7800-xt-review-performance-benchmarks/

• Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Not sure this is so tempting for the old gamer bro @Mr. Fox

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfields-disappointing-intro-is-bethesdas-weakest-even-if-we-do-get-a-free-spaceship/

But, like practically all the graphics cards of this generation, it feels like we're getting the bare minimum, just enough.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-rx-7800-xt-review-performance-benchmarks/

Nah... I really don't care. No plans to purchase it.

As far as getting bare minimum and just enough, I think that is part of the evil plan. They don't want overclocking or firmware modding because the next gen they have to try harder to have something people want to buy. If they lock everything down and make it just barely enough then people will have to "upgrade" to a more recent crippled GPU if they want more performance.

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

That's one type of capitalist behaviour, the most common for sure, but strictly myopic and thus often suboptimal. 

I hope it's not controversial that, from the customer's perspective, monopolies or huge market dominance such as enjoyed by NVidia are quite undesirable. What we would want is for the industry to resemble say auto industry, with several competing companies vying for our business. That's immediately unrealistic for a number of reasons, however, at the very least we have 2-3 players which are strong candidates are likely to fulfill this purpose.   

It immediately follows that any financial support to the current dominant company moves us in the direction opposite to the reasonable goal. We can rationalise this away however we like, but the above is an incontrovertible fact, whatever the short-term motivation.

If people incorporated more of that sort of longer-term planning into their behaviour and prioritised their purchases accordingly at scale, this would result in very quick changes in the way NVidia operates (in this case).

For a motivating example of a poor outcome resulting from myopic capitalist behaviour, we need to look no further than at the gigantic example of PRC and how it came to be a global superpower challenging the West, as a direct result of capitalist greed and lack of foresight.

Mind you, I'm not saying that there is a superior systemic alternative to capitalism, I'm just suggesting we can do way better within the system. Note there is no state intervention involved in the proposal, no new regulation, no institutions, just people adjusting the way they think. Food for.

Starfield. Q.E.D. As you may know, I only need one example to disprove your 4090s undrelying massive hardware superiority theory. The more I look at it, the clearer it is a lot of the performance differences are explained through PC software issues (not just drivers, libraries used, optimisation etc.)

For an example of this, take a look at the following review excerpt:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-and-xt-review-shooting-for-the-top/7

Good old Tom came up with a review which tested the new Blender engine and found the 4090 to perform far better. Job done, the consumer is ready to make his informed decision, right?

Not necessarily. According to the blog posts below, you do need the new experimental driver to enable massive performance improvements in Blender 3.1+ on AMD GPUs by bypassing OpenCL:

https://code.blender.org/2021/11/cycles-x-project-update/

https://code.blender.org/2021/11/next-level-support-for-amd-gpus/

Did Tom use that driver? I can't be bothered to look for this detail but almost surely not - they wouldn't want to test using experimental drivers by default anyway, and if they did, they would have clearly indicated this. 

We could easily verify those results if someone, ekhm bro @Raiderman, was willing to burn some time to do the legwork. Just run the same version of blender benchmark as Tom did with the HIP driver.

You have to remember... NVIDIA has not had a legitimate competitor for a good long while. Now they suddenly have two. Lack of competition isn't really a monopoly. The end result might be similar. When 95% of the buyers want your products and do not care about other options available to them you get to do almost anything you want to do as long as it is not against the law.

Now that they finally have some legitimate competition they may have to adjust their approach. That problem might take care of itself.

• Like 1
  • Bump 1

The NVME tower heatsink arrived and alas, it wont fit natively :( Really bummed out...

Spoiler

So I ordered an extension cable. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDYXKK92?smid=A2OKSEIX7OEK0B&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

I wont be deterred! 

Also thinking about grabbing a 40mm to 120mm bracket adapter :classic_cool:

Whats a guy to do? 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Talon said:

RTX-4090-CB24.png

After they've cancelled the 4090 Ti, or at least it's definitely looking this way. I gave up and am swapping the 4080 to a 4090 again lol. My local BB had a couple in stock this morning. I had a $50 coupon from them. 

Of course it's a 1070mV limited chip. No worries, a quick vBIOS flashed fixed that and now I have a full 1100mV OG version. Boosts to 2715Mhz out of box completely stock. Temps are cold on this beast too, the coolers on the FE are insanely good this gen. That vapor chamber and PTM doing work. With OC at stock 1050mV voltage I can hit 2955mhz. VRAM seems decent but not amazing. Unfortunately it seems it's going to top out around +1600. Have not tried to punch the voltage up though. Will see how far it will go, but honestly even at stock settings these cards are insane enough. 

The part that makes no sense (and I hate) is that Winduhz 11 scores 200 points short of 40K whereas same exact GPU OC and drivers it barely exceeds 35K on Weendoze 10. I think the Redmond Reprobates might have slipped 'em something under the table to make that happen. Makes no sense at all.

Edit: OK that was wrong. Noob mistake. I forgot to disable ECC on Weendoze 10, LOL. Not much difference one versus the other. ECC totally ruins the Cinebench score if enabled.

CB2024.jpg

Edited by Mr. Fox
ECC sucks
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

8 hours ago, Reciever said:

The NVME tower heatsink arrived and alas, it wont fit natively 😞 Really bummed out...

Hide contents

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDYXKK92?smid=A2OKSEIX7OEK0B&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

I wont be deterred! 

Whats a guy to do? 

I WARNED YOU! hahaha but i like the way youre just bulldozing through this, keep it up! 😄 and i want pics of the finished franken setup 😛 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

10 hours ago, Reciever said:

The NVME tower heatsink arrived and alas, it wont fit natively :( Really bummed out...

Hide contents

I wont be deterred! 

Whats a guy to do? 

What ssd cooling tower did you buy? Not all is good. 

• Thumb Up 1

Bro @Rage Set Look at this question. My answers on this topic have been exactly the same the whole time. “Ticking bomb”. You never know when it goes to hell. Even Cablemod reps can’t predict exactly when the bomb goes off. But it will. Just a question of time. And for all sold angled adapers. They all will burn up together with the graphics cards🙂

Why can’t people use their brains? You don’t need a higher doctor degree to understand all this. Just use your brain bro @ryan

And why continue use any of the CM products if you don’t feel safe with their products? Hmmmm

I am wondering why it happens randomly a few weeks / months after plugging it in”

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Etern4l said:

Really cool, but, other than the aesthetics (which is reason enough), why? Mobo heatsink not enough? What SSD temps are you targeting?

Didnt cost much, and lets me have a little fun away from certification training without being too cumbersome.

I only have 1TB Toshiba Pcie 3.0 x4 NVME, everything else is SATA based. Without a heatsink I was able to force it to 71c, going to see what it runs at with the heatsink installed, tonight when the cable should arrive.

3 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

I WARNED YOU! hahaha but i like the way youre just bulldozing through this, keep it up! 😄 and i want pics of the finished franken setup 😛 

I wonder if I can make a pedestal for my ITX system lmao

With these extension cables it would be rather easy to add an M.2 NVME to PCIE adapter like when I was mining. Could be useful for testing out various devices on my daily driver without having to remove my GPU

Actually I do have an 4x M.2 SSD to PCIE adapter Hmm, well something else to try out during the weekend.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Now that they finally have some legitimate competition they may have to adjust their approach. That problem might take care of itself.

They may or may not. The odds are stacked against Intel and AMD in the GPU space, and they obviously need all the help they can get (and conversely NVidia neither needs nor deserves any support if a balanced market is a goal).

Put another way, it's true that things may re-adjust themselves on their own, but I wouldn't want to put a probability number on that, and it's also strictly true that by not helping NVidia, and ideally also helping their competition, we are increasing that probability. Wasn't that you who brought up that power of the people Bud example? Obviously that's p*****, and where there is p***** there is money to help things along e.g. via social media.

• Bump 1

-- Max Tegmark

This looks fun. Puke with me 🤮🤮🤮 bro @Mr. Fox

The cooling setup on this card does a nice job keeping temperatures in check without making much noise, but unfortunately, tweaking the memory speed “resulted in a black screen”. Buggy drivers or awful/defective hardware? Or is it just AMD? Whatever it is…  Not acceptable. 

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7800-xt-and-7700-xt-with-xfx?page=5

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

They may or may not. The odds are stacked against Intel and AMD in the GPU space, and they obviously need all the help they can get (and conversely NVidia neither needs nor deserves any support if a balanced market is a goal).

Put another way, it's true that things may re-adjust themselves on their own, but I wouldn't want to put a probability number on that, and it's also strictly true that by not helping NVidia, and ideally also helping their competition, we are increasing that probability. Wasn't that you who brought up that power of the people Bud example? Obviously that's p*****, and where there is p***** there is money to help things along e.g. via social media.

Yes, I am all about that. I love the idea and endorse the practice of financially punishing companies that are dishonest, incompetent, show bad judgement, promote immorality, or engage in leftist political agendas. But, spending money on broken garbage isn't furthering a good cause. It is validating trash and legitimizing mediocrity. Like ..

19 minutes ago, Papusan said:

This looks fun. Puke with me 🤮🤮🤮 bro @Mr. Fox

The cooling setup on this card does a nice job keeping temperatures in check without making much noise, but unfortunately, tweaking the memory speed “resulted in a black screen”. Buggy drivers or awful/defective hardware? Whatever it is…  Not acceptable. 

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7800-xt-and-7700-xt-with-xfx?page=5

...this. We should not reward anyone for selling trash. At least not intentionally. Sometimes accidents and poor judgement lead us astray.

• Like 1