NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread

electrosoft

So i finally took the heat sinks off of my machine. I broke the keyboard anchors but it doesnt really seem they have any use. HID Evolution update my BIOS to 1.07.07 but not the firmware Wtf lol. I still have major issues using my external monitor not to mention this weird stutter i keep getting. I updated my NVME heatsinks also. That stock heatsink is not very good in my opinion once it gets hot regardless if the drive is hot or not its going to heat up from that being the only heaksink. Im glad i found this place as i kinda got lost suring the shut down 

• Thumb Up 2

Keyboard anchors???? Do you mean the posts or the magnets?

When you say firmware do you mean the EC firmware as 1.07.07 is the latest UEFI Firmware Bios update and the current stable EC is 1.07.03 right now (Yes there is a 1.07.04 EC Firmware update but even i have gone back to 1.07.03 due to shutdowns whilst on 1.07.04).

As for the NVME SSD's if they are PCI-E 4.0 NVME's they are toasty by default, you could if the heatsinks are not helping try a heatsink mod to connect it to the the fan some how with another copper pipe up towards the fin array on the side. Else if you have the sticker still on might help removing that but that will void warranty that i know for sure.

Heck even my PCI-E 3.0 NVME hits 63-68c when on full tilt which is in the PCI-E 4.0 slot, however the PCI-E 3.0 SSD in the PCI-E 3.0 slots hits tops 58c which is the same as the SATA M.2 SSD's i use. If your PCI-E 4.0 NVME SSD is below 70c its fine.

• Thumb Up 1

{Main System:} The Beast

Spoiler

{Cooling:} Corsair H170i Elite

{Mainboard:} Asrock X670E Pro

{CPU/GPU:} AMD Ryzen R9 7900x3D / AMD RX 7900 XTX (Asrock Phantom)

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

{PSU/Case:} Corsair RM 1000x V2, Corsair 7000D Airflow (Black)

{OS:} Windows 11 Pro

Realtek Nahimic 3 Modded Driver for MSI Systems:Latest

7 minutes ago, solidus1983 said:

Keyboard anchors???? Do you mean the posts or the magnets?

When you say firmware do you mean the EC firmware as 1.07.07 is the latest UEFI Firmware Bios update and the current stable EC is 1.07.03 right now (Yes there is a 1.07.04 EC Firmware update but even i have gone back to 1.07.03 due to shutdowns whilst on 1.07.04).

As for the NVME SSD's if they are PCI-E 4.0 NVME's they are toasty by default, you could if the heatsinks are not helping try a heatsink mod to connect it to the the fan some how with another copper pipe up towards the fin array on the side. Else if you have the sticker still on might help removing that but that will void warranty that i know for sure.

Heck even my PCI-E 3.0 NVME hits 63-68c when on full tilt which is in the PCI-E 4.0 slot, however the PCI-E 3.0 SSD in the PCI-E 3.0 slots hits tops 58c which is the same as the SATA M.2 SSD's i use. If your PCI-E 4.0 NVME SSD is below 70c its fine.

Thats good to know about the EC firmware so im glad im on 1.07.03 then lol. 

The metal pieces holding the keyboard 

The NVME drivers go up to 60 c under heavy use but since i bought 2 seperate heaksinks the other one stays better

60c is totally fine on NVME bud, its not as if your going to hit the trip point unless your writing 1's and 0's 24/7/365 without a break.

See with SSD's the NAND loves to be warm whilst the controller likes to be chilled, a fine balance however there is a trick as i bet you place the thermal pad across the whole nvme ssd. There is a slight difference in height between the NAND and controller in fact the controller is slightly higher then the NAND what i would normally do is just cover each sperate and use a slight thicker pad on the NAND, if you want full coverage. Else like i have done with my current SSD's just have the controller connected to the heatsink.

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

{RAM/Storage:} 2x 16GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 6400MT/s , 13TB WDD SN850X 2x4TB, 2x 2TB, 1x 1TB

1 hour ago, solidus1983 said:

60c is totally fine on NVME bud, its not as if your going to hit the trip point unless your writing 1's and 0's 24/7/365 without a break.

See with SSD's the NAND loves to be warm whilst the controller likes to be chilled, a fine balance however there is a trick as i bet you place the thermal pad across the whole nvme ssd. There is a slight difference in height between the NAND and controller in fact the controller is slightly higher then the NAND what i would normally do is just cover each sperate and use a slight thicker pad on the NAND, if you want full coverage. Else like i have done with my current SSD's just have the controller connected to the heatsink.

why does crystal disk start going off when i hit 60c ? 

9 hours ago, Sydneyblue said:

why does crystal disk start going off when i hit 60c ? 

Going off in what term is it showing yellow or red? or is it audible alarm?

I have a server thats NVME based currently being hammered for the past 12 hours with no heatsink on.

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +66.8°C  (low  = -20.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +81.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +66.8°C  (low  = -20.1°C, high = +84.8°C)

Is it causing your system to shutdown whilst its at 60+c?? if not your fine.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, solidus1983 said:

Going off in what term is it showing yellow or red? or is it audible alarm?

I have a server thats NVME based currently being hammered for the past 12 hours with no heatsink on.

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +66.8°C  (low  = -20.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +81.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +66.8°C  (low  = -20.1°C, high = +84.8°C)

Is it causing your system to shutdown whilst its at 60+c?? if not your fine.

It goes off red 60c on compostie temp. There are no shut downs but i was concerned 

Hey guys should i call HID Evolution and get a complete set of thermal pads from them or should i look elsewhere ? When i took my heatsink off i did notice that the VRM on the cpu 1 or 2 of the pads must of gotten a bit toasty because the pad look not like the others like it was starting to melt.

1 hour ago, Sydneyblue said:

Hey guys should i call HID Evolution and get a complete set of thermal pads from them or should i look elsewhere ? When i took my heatsink off i did notice that the VRM on the cpu 1 or 2 of the pads must of gotten a bit toasty because the pad look not like the others like it was starting to melt.

That's not good, might be worth while asking HID for some pads, could you also measure them before installing as I don't even know the sizes for the CPU or GPU thermal pads. Still waiting on PCS to get back to me on it so I can get some proper pads when I upgrade CPU.

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

That's not good, might be worth while asking HID for some pads, could you also measure them before installing as I don't even know the sizes for the CPU or GPU thermal pads. Still waiting on PCS to get back to me on it so I can get some proper pads when I upgrade CPU.

Yea just a little concern. Im goign to see if they can sell me a complete set with the heatsink mount screws as i want to upgrade to 11900k 

I took this from the OG NBR in the SM-G thread, I think it’s from @S.K or @DsankeA6E7F1A6-310B-48BC-9314-34DC3019AD4D.thumb.jpeg.343dd78b5190ab265614782880d44338.jpeg

• Thumb Up 1
  • Bump 2

• Clever Barebones X170KM-G (Air/Water Radiator Upgrade) 

• 10900K - Delid Copper IHS TR-Silver King Liquid Metal

• RTX 3080 TR-Silver King Liquid Metal • 1920x1080 300hz LCD G-sync 

• 64G (2x32) RAM @3200Mhz CL22 • 2x 1Tb Samsung 980 Pro M.2

Did they say what the shore hardness was as I used them sizes last time using gelids and got no contact with the dies.

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

1 minute ago, solidus1983 said:

Did they say what the shore hardness was as I used them sizes last time using gelids and got no contact with the dies.

I don’t know, but near that post was a few replies about getting the softest possible. The compression is what matters most, from what I’ve heard. Speaking of which I still need to take a closer look at mine.

• Thumb Up 2

On 2/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, electrosoft said:

This late into the game I don't know how much Clevo will have invested into the X170SM/KM. 12th gen is here and it looks like they are finished with DTRs. I know when I had my X170KIM-G it was a mess. It would shut down under load. "Performance Mode" with an 11600k still tried to cram 225w through the CPU even running the newest CCC. I was used to Prema on my X170SM-G so using the locked down stock bios of the KM was not pleasant.

Gen4 port was defective along with the keyboard to boot so I sent it back and I'll stick with the SM till the KM resolves itself but I'm not holding out hope.

Its really a shame and makes me want to sell my machine and take a loss on it. I cant seem to control how many watts this thing pulls. In certain applications(games) it wants to pull 130w on the CPU i mean is that total neccesary for the machine to do this ? I am reluctant to invest any money because if we dont get a prema bios then what then ? Its over not xmp. I personally hate CC and using any software to control CPU. At least im not crashing since Bios Firmware update. I would think by this time this thing should be purring like a kitten 

On 1/31/2022 at 10:39 PM, Jaggy84 said:

My barebones of this is great, but comes with a headache. I would like to take advantage of what it has to offer but, unfortunately for me, found out too late about Prema and his BIOS enhancements.

However, so far, from what I could figure with Throttlestop and a new radiator, the thermals are better, just hate being stuck with no XMP and thermothrottling still wanting to occur. Don’t know enough to find any good work around. If anyone knows how to crack into to BIOS and open it up for more potential, please help me with a walk through, I’ll buy you a beer! 
All in all, I prefer this thing over almost anything else, it’s mobile enough, and handles games and Solidworks without a problem.

4FC440E9-F303-4019-9B41-9FC9963DA802.jpeg

A3CF75B0-150E-40F4-92E2-73958FE48B20.jpeg

CFE84AA5-60EE-47DA-BDB6-A97A0FDAF035.jpeg

Where did you get the copper ihs ? Did you glue it down to the chip. I worry the LM is going to run all over if i use a custum ihs 

Copper IHS is more likely Copper IHS Kit - Intel 10th Gen – RockItCool , LM should be fine just got the semi-conductors with something like Thermal Grizzly High Performance Cooling Solutions - TG Shield (thermal-grizzly.com) then reseal the IHS with silicon. 

• Thumb Up 3

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Sydneyblue said:

Where did you get the copper ihs ? Did you glue it down to the chip. I worry the LM is going to run all over if i use a custum ihs 

RockitCool. I watched @Mr. Fox video on delid the 10900k. But the video above is good too. 
I’m optimistic about @Prema or anything to unhide or unlock the Bios. I just won’t be the testing settings myself cause I’m still novice and it basically playing with fire.
It’s just a matter of time before a good bios solution will surface for this DTR, I’ve gotten so much support already from NBR members, and I won’t even consider other machines unless it’s a desktop, strictly due to the performance/filler, this really does seem like the last real DTR, but I think it will be worth the wait on bios support. Honestly I believe this hints to why NBR shut down the community section of the site. I don’t think manufactures really appreciate people voiding warranties for the sake of benchmarks, games, hardware, etc… but that certainly didn’t stop me lol

I had buyers remorse at first, but long term, I’m keeping it and just going to keep tinker as I learn and as new info comes my way.

Im not in a position to help anyone at this point in my experience, but as soon as I can help I will.

• Thumb Up 2

1 hour ago, Jaggy84 said:

I don’t think manufactures really appreciate people voiding warranties for the sake of benchmarks, games, hardware, etc… but that certainly didn’t stop me lol

They probably do not, but the bottom line is that it is none of their business. I am glad it did not stop you and I feel bad for people that are so locked up with worry about voiding their warranty that they are willing to tolerate products that malfunction because they were poorly engineered by the nitwits that designed it. It really begs the question about the point in purchasing something specifically because of its potential to be special if you plan to leave it floundering in mediocrity.

• Thumb Up 5
  • Bump 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

It really begs the question about the point in purchasing something specifically because of its potential to be special if you plan to leave it floundering in mediocrity.

Absolutely. And that’s the trap I fell into thinking I would get the hardware of my choice for configuring and call it good. But that’s certainly not the end all as I’ve learned.

Im glad I purchased it, and I certainly feel special lol, but now I’m just going against  that mediocrity mindset (as I’ve so been inspired). It’s disgusting that so many things now days are manufactured (enforced) so cheaply with expectation of wide embrace. Commercial purposed machinery aren’t  nearly as crippled as consumer machinery.

• Thumb Up 1

I just messaged HID for a complete set of thermal pads plus the extra screw for the heatsink because they started to strip and want peace of mind. Im going to order that Rockit and go for it full LM. Do i need nail polish ? any recommendation for silicon ? This is the LM im going to get https://www.newegg.com/thermal-grizzly-liquid-metal/p/2MB-0048-00036

16 hours ago, Sydneyblue said:

Its really a shame and makes me want to sell my machine and take a loss on it. I cant seem to control how many watts this thing pulls. In certain applications(games) it wants to pull 130w on the CPU i mean is that total neccesary for the machine to do this ? I am reluctant to invest any money because if we dont get a prema bios then what then ? Its over not xmp. I personally hate CC and using any software to control CPU. At least im not crashing since Bios Firmware update. I would think by this time this thing should be purring like a kitten 

130W is nothing out of the ordinary for that CPU and it can pull significantly more. Both the CPU and laptop can handle it.

Metabox Prime-X (X170KM-G) | 17.3" 165Hz G-sync | 11900KF | 32GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 3080 16GB | 1TB 980 Pro

@electrosoft @solidus1983 I finally got around to doing a CB23, but decided to just run it with TS, here's some screenshots:

Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (32).png

• Thumb Up 3

@Sydneyblue Are we talking about the Limit reason of Voltage, if that is the cause its because you have hit the limit set by nvidia in the vbios and thats totally normal.

The fact that your GPU usage is in the 90's is good. If its frame pacing issues thats down to nvidia drivers bud.

@Jaggy84 Nice one mate and some nice temps too!

• Thumb Up 1

Spoiler

• electrosoft changed the title to Official Clevo X170KM-G Thread