NotebookTalk

StarField!! Anyone else excited

cylix

5 hours ago, Etern4l said:

lame shooter-like gameplay sucks - it's not challenging at all in the way an FPS is, but very little is required in terms of tactical thinking.

Well said. It doesn't even need to have a lot of tactical thinking to be fun if the gameplay is not as slow as molasses. If the game moves at a frenetic pace it is harder to get bored and lose interest due to slowness and monotony. 

• Thumb Up 2

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

5 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Well said. It doesn't even need to have a lot of tactical thinking to be fun if the gameplay is not as slow as molasses. If the game moves at a frenetic pace it is harder to get bored and lose interest due to slowness and monotony. 

Basically, you either make a great FPS or a great RPG. A great RPG will not necessarily appeal to an FPS fan such as yourself, and vice versa. I happen used to enjoy both but in the pure form. The hybrid formula leads to games which are neither great RPG nor great FPSes.

Arrgh, will cross-post from The Thread:

A brilliant RPG is basically a non-linear adventure/puzzle game with a deep and intriguing plot that you can beat in many different ways, depending on your role-playing preferences. The original fallout went as far as allowing people to play as idiots with INT 2 or something, and the dialogues reflected that. You could be Saint Saviour of the Wastelands, or a practitioner of the oldest profession. It was a rather non-PC title. Combat is more about making it with limited resources, optimal gear etc. Turn based works best.

In contrast, a brilliant single-player FPS (for Bethesda's information: a different genre) is all about, virtual combat, i.e. shooting skills using KMB/contoller. It tests players visual processing, reaction time, triggers the fight or flight response etc. A B-movie plot will do, although it needs to provide the right kind of backround for the action. Actually I thought Crysis had an OK, at the beginning Predator-like, plot. Obviously graphics and visual design are necessary for the immersion, and so are very important, unlike in the case of an RPG which can actually be played without a computer - again, another difference with the FPS lol

You make one kind of game or the other. Titles which try to combine both kind of suck IMHO (e.g. Destiny MMORPG-FPS, boring as hell).  

Bethesda tried to combine both and and came up with Fallout 3: a mediocre derivative game that was neither a good FPS or a good RPG which... it wasn't horrible though, and it did quite well financially lol I guess people like walking around in huge virtual worlds, nuking stuff and collecting garbage without a particularly strong sense of purpose. That's free market for you.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

16 minutes ago, Etern4l said:

You make one kind of game or the other. Titles which try to combine both kind of suck IMHO (e.g. Destiny MMORPG-FPS, boring as hell).  

Bethesda tried to combine both and and came up with a mediocre game that was neither a good FPS or a good RPG which... it wasn't horrible though, and it did quite well financially lol I guess people like walking around in huge virtual worlds, nuking stuff and collecting garbage without a particularly strong sense of purpose.

^^^ this ^^^ 

maybe the idea follows the logic that it would be difficult to find any purpose for those living in an post-apocalyptic wasteland 😜

• Thumb Up 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO
Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Dark Base Pro 901
Munchkin // Z790i Edge | 14900K | Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC | 48GB DDR5-8000 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201 
Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb || Nothing to Write Home About  

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

I did go in pretty much blind, without watching all the trailers, reviews but this seems to be backfiring now. I'm so disappointed to learn there's no atmospheric flight at all in the game. This really is just small maps with mediocre FPS shooting sections split up by endless loading screens. Can't even properly sprint around an area without running out of breath every 10 seconds.

Oh and another one on the RPG side, they couldn't even bother to add voice to the main character. Talk about breaking immersion...

On a happier note, I did catch most of this before the 2 hour mark and refunded the premium pack on Steam...

• Thumb Up 2

While I feel it looks, feels and plays a lot like Fallout 3/4/76, I am enjoying it for what it is and its growing on me but I love Fallout 4/76 so I'm jaded.

I do think it could have been better though.

Metacritic score seems to show it is generally liked based upon 50 critical reviews.

image.thumb.png.2ca384ca5a065edff5428a8d85354631.png

• Like 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

58 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

^^^ this ^^^ 

maybe the idea follows the logic that it would be difficult to find any purpose for those living in an post-apocalyptic wasteland 😜

Again, the original Fallout games had pretty compelling plots. I think Bethesdas logic was just to slap some Fallout-like content on the Oblivion engine, throw in a bit of

shooting action to lure in the FPS crowd, and profit.

@electrosoftyou are an MMO player, so you have a bit more inclination to enjoy that kind of open world-like content. No stranger to a bit of a grind (which this game clearly involves). Just saying. 

As for Metacritic, not sure how reliable that is at the early stage. For instance looks like Bethesda gagged some reviewers:

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/29/bethesda-is-withholding-starfield-review-copies-in-the-uk-19414929/

Reputable reviews are generally about 7/10.

Anyway, enough Bethesda bashing 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

Oh no, we should bash Bethseda until its out of existence for what are they doing to the game industry! Make half ass games on 10+ years old enginge  and waiting for the modding community to save their games free of charge.

Also those metacritic critic scores are all paid shills and are irrelevant.

• Confused 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

everyone talks about cyberbug 2077 on youtube, and its still quite popular, but from what everyone's saying this game is actually less buggy than cyberbug and thats not to say it doesn't have bugs but I guess the only way to know if a game has value is to actually play it.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Sooo, is anyone here still playing Starfield?

I do still have one question which I couldn't find the answer to and it's still bugging me.

You can only land at fixed designated landing areas on planets, and then on your local map (and with the scanner) you see a bunch of points of interest at varied distances from the ship, let's say something at 900m away. Is the only option to explore those to run to them on foot?

I have no idea, sorry/ we will know in 7 hours, im starting to get excited as I might like just roaming around granted its more interesting than watching paint dry lol. they spent a long time developing the game im sure there must be a few interesting points of interest. also im really curious how it will run on my 3060 at 4k im guessing medium 4k native resolution scaling and 28fps average.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

10 minutes ago, ryan said:

I have no idea, sorry/ we will know in 7 hours, im starting to get excited as I might like just roaming around granted its more interesting than watching paint dry lol. they spent a long time developing the game im sure there must be a few interesting points of interest. also im really curious how it will run on my 3060 at 4k im guessing medium 4k native resolution scaling and 28fps average.

On my 2080 at 2k it did not run good. Small maps like inside buildings were smooth but almost all outside areas I could feel were much choppier. Didn't bother to read FPS but it was around 30 or even under for sure. This with most settings on medium, some low and some disabled. I was expecting a bit better but it is a very old engine so who knows...

2080>3060 this is not good news. maybe ill be able to tweak low medium settings and manage 30fps at 4k if not I won't support the game inexcusable.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Dont get your hopes up, this trash dosent work to well...

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

lol i type out my thoughts sometimes, scary for you guys. but yeah i have my hopes up for starfield i get to play it in like 2 hours and it will likely be the best part of today. my system is pretty tweaked not sure where i should install it? ATLAS or windows 10 vanilla or both.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Hahaha, accurate!

20 hours ago, ryan said:

lol i type out my thoughts sometimes, scary for you guys. but yeah i have my hopes up for starfield i get to play it in like 2 hours and it will likely be the best part of today. my system is pretty tweaked not sure where i should install it? ATLAS or windows 10 vanilla or both.

So did you try it? Still playing? 🙂

• Thumb Up 1

Holy moly just found out that Bethseda on their new shiny TRIPLE AAA game didnt include Ultrawide Monitor Support!!

So they left it out for the modders to figure it out for free because  they are to busy counting the money🤑🤮

Starmap - List of Systems and Planets - Starfield Guide - IGN

this game is too good to be true or is it? I think after not playing a story driven game for years my bar is low so thats likely the reason i think starfield is so good but compared to rdr2 gta v and witcher 3 its probably not as good. havent played rdr 2 or witcher 3 they just havent caught me

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Lol this game is a broken mess like Cyberpunk at launch 😄

• Haha 1

My brother loves this game and can't defend it enough. I, on the other hand, can't stop trolling him for liking it :classic_laugh:

I guess this game has as many opinions about it as it has bugs :classic_laugh:

In my eyes Bethesda has been on (quality) decline since they released TES4 Oblivion...

Starfield specifically - I had hopes when I first heard about it, but it became quite obvious what a disappointment this game would be once the first previews started popping up.

• Haha 1
  • Hands 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

im not super picky as a long time crysis player, but its still not bad. it's just the competition is so strong.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Haha, why am I not surprised at all by that part in the clip above where a bucket is used to push a rifle out of the room. Makes me wonder if you could just put the bucket on the guards head instead. I have to try 😆

I don't feel particularly strongly in any of the directions. If you sort of forget that it's supposed to be a "space game", it can actually be fun. It's just an RPG with different maps you can jump back and forth. I had to say, spaceships are pretty meaningless. I see zero reason to upgrade or fly the ship when you have to fast travel anyway and just load in, instead of actually flying, landing, docking... man those would've been awesome if implemented...

I did like the Terrormorph mission a lot... lot of Alien vibes.

Hahah, slimey Tod speaking bullshit again like 99% of his speeches. This man is cancer for the gaming world.

So people  with 3xxx and 4xxx should upgrade to play this ancient game.

Also dont compare this with the masterpiece that RDR2.