NotebookTalk

StarField!! Anyone else excited

cylix

meh just like witcher and rdr2, I found it repetitive also, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a space rpg. pretty ambitious to have 50 star systems plus and keep it varied, I think they bit off more then they can chew, honestly the game is awesome if you go in with low expectations and just imagine its a bit more real and get involved. but if you dont meh. alyx is the same way but the immersion is forced thanks to VR. if it was just a game in 2d it would be pretty boring.

just waiting for a starfield vr mod, now that would be incredible.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

7 hours ago, cucubits said:

I'm starting to think this is going to be quantity over quality. As much as I'd like this to not be the case, it's beginning to feel a bit repetitive: new mission - loading screen travel to another landing spot, run 200m, kill some baddies, maybe explore a base, press a button, loading screen travel back to quest giver. This exact pattern is repeating for most side quests so far.

A few major faction questlines are indeed more varied but I don't think there are too many of those (so far I only found the Terrormorph story and the pirates). Wondering what other bigger factions are there and how to not miss important side storylines without reading online...

The main story so far is running around talking to new recruitable npcs and gathering artefacts.

This pretty much describes their previous games as well. Fast travel straight to something once you actually find it for the first time.. etc.. etc.. 

• Thumb Up 1

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

[Sleipnir] MacBook Pro 16 | M1 Max | 32GB | 1TB

[Munnin] LG Gram 17 | i7-8565U | 16GB | 2 x 512GB SSD | Fedora 38

dupe post

[Draupnir] 5600X | EVGA 3080 | Asus B550-I Strix | 32GB 3600@CL16 2C/2R | 2 x WD SN750 | NZXT H1 V2 | Custom back panel with 2x140mm | Win 11 Pro

I booted up the game and im in the mission with the bandits that are giving the farmer a hard time. beat the bugs pretty easily now im low on ammo and am facing like 8 guys in a camp, no idea what to do i have to spend like 3000 on med packs and 2000 on weapons each mission and i only get like 5000 credit for the task, how are you supposed to progress. Sarah doesn't have a weapon and I have no idea how to give her a weapon. this is frustrating. if you new to rpgs i suggest you read a few tuts

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

8 hours ago, ryan said:

I booted up the game and im in the mission with the bandits that are giving the farmer a hard time. beat the bugs pretty easily now im low on ammo and am facing like 8 guys in a camp, no idea what to do i have to spend like 3000 on med packs and 2000 on weapons each mission and i only get like 5000 credit for the task, how are you supposed to progress. Sarah doesn't have a weapon and I have no idea how to give her a weapon. this is frustrating. if you new to rpgs i suggest you read a few tuts

There are so many med packs and so much ammo to loot I don't think I've ever gotten close to running out of any of it. Maybe be a little more methodical with combat perhaps you are getting hit too much and wasting ammo?

• Thumb Up 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, ryan said:

Sarah doesn't have a weapon

Talk to her, select the option to trade stuff and see the button assignments there, you need to switch to your inventory, the select the gun you want to give her and press trade, I think it's "E". Then you need to switch back to her inventory and with that weapon selected, one button will have the "equip" option, I think "B", not sure. Don't forget to give her at lease one round of ammo for that particular gun.

It really isn't straight forward... took me a while and a few tries to figure this out.

I gave her one of those guns with a lot of laser lights coming out of it, not sure what's it called. Insane fire rate. She mows down everything now, I rarely have to do any serious work while she's around.

• Sad 1

On 9/30/2023 at 3:49 PM, cucubits said:

Talk to her, select the option to trade stuff and see the button assignments there, you need to switch to your inventory, the select the gun you want to give her and press trade, I think it's "E". Then you need to switch back to her inventory and with that weapon selected, one button will have the "equip" option, I think "B", not sure. Don't forget to give her at lease one round of ammo for that particular gun.

It really isn't straight forward... took me a while and a few tries to figure this out.

I gave her one of those guns with a lot of laser lights coming out of it, not sure what's it called. Insane fire rate. She mows down everything now, I rarely have to do any serious work while she's around.

This is pretty much how it worked in Skyrim as well including Bows and which arrow type you wanted them to use.

• Thumb Up 1

17 hours ago, hfm said:

This is pretty much how it worked in Skyrim as well including Bows and which arrow type you wanted them to use.

Cool, I never realized that. If I recall right I played Skyrim mostly solo. I liked the sneak damage boost a lot.

@hfm @cucubits are you guys close to beating starfield and what would you rate it now that you have logged significant time playing.

im just starting and have only logged 25 hours id give it a 7/10 but I do like it just wish the graphics were better it is 2023 and wish their was more immersion like more detailed side missions.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

I haven't fired it up in about a week now. Other IRL stuff going on. I'm focusing more on darts practice.

I was at about 33 hours in but haven't touched the main story too much. After getting the first...

Spoiler

power-up

...I got side tracked with other missions and just played randomly.

Not sure about the rating, maybe 7 out of 10 sounds right, I don't know yet. It's hard to overlook some of the design choices they made. Being a space game with a big focus towards ships and not being able to fly manually in the atmosphere is really my biggest complaint.

• Bump 1

On 10/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, ryan said:

@hfm @cucubits are you guys close to beating starfield and what would you rate it now that you have logged significant time playing.

im just starting and have only logged 25 hours id give it a 7/10 but I do like it just wish the graphics were better it is 2023 and wish their was more immersion like more detailed side missions.

Nowhere near close. It'll probably take me a while as I stopped playing it for AC:M which will also probably take me a while as I played it yesterday for maybe 30 minutes and I probably won't get back to it till next week.

EDIT:

I think it's a fine game. Typical Bethesda. Not my favorite so far by them but worth the price. I really don't care much about the base building and ship building so some of the work of upgrading things is knocking it down a peg because I don't feel like spending my time on the grind and drudgery of building things and gathering materials. But it seems so far I've gotten away without too much fuss except for my ship (I got a unique one from a quest) isn't up to the task of beating one of the quests i'm on where the final test is taking down like 4-5 ships at once. I'm kind of waiting on that one to get enough credits to just buy a better ship, I first have to kill enough other ships to upgrade my pilot skill. I MIGHT be able to just straight upgrade it with better Class compnents once I do that as well so we'll see. So kind of stuck a little bit in that drudgery corner and kind of ignoring that angle. Hopefully I keep just finding good enough gear to not have to go through the monotony of using the various workstations to upgrade. I've basically completely ignored all of that right now hopefully I can keep it that way.

I really rather liked the more straightforward approach to the crafting in FO4, it's expanded and more nuanced here and I don't care about it much. If I'm forced into it I'll probably just quit playing it as I really don't feel like interacting with that part of the game. If it's a sign of things to come for ES6 it's not looking good. We'll see I don't think I've played enough Starfield to have a final verdict, but every time I see one of the 5-6 stations for upgrade/research laying around I roll my eyes and sigh..

I was largely able to ignore all that in FO4 except for setting up a simple trade network for barebones storage sharing and using the two simple stations to upgrade things (worktstation and power armor repair bay).. but I was already at about max capacity with crafting and resource management with that as I don't find it that fun. I'd rather they just allowed something simpler here. We'll see. If I can play it by just straight up buying and doing simple upgrading instead of dealing with all the base building and different types of crafting tables I'll be good. If not.. well.. it'll gather dust. 

• Bump 1

well said.

Id like to say a member here on nbr has played for 85hours and still has alot to do, this game is long and pretty special. I look forwards to getting back into it but forza has my attention for the time being

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

for some reason when I do a fresh install of windows and run starfield I get blurry unloaded textures. when I load AtlasOS the textures become sharp and detailed. no idea why as it would be nice to have everything on my laptop just work without insane time spent fiddling. thinking of buying a console but I probably wont and if I do it will just be a series s

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Right on Point. Had a good laugh watching it 😄. Joe doesnt dissapoint

• Haha 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Its a good game, not great. who cares if it has flaws all games do except rdr2. I think if you don't like starfield in 2023 there are not many games you will like. not many 10/10 games, heck even forza motorsport was a flop, terrible experience with it. I have never hated a racing game. 

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 10/21/2023 at 7:00 PM, cylix said:

Right on Point. Had a good laugh watching it 😄. Joe doesnt dissapoint

LOL. Joe doesn't pull any punches, although his reviews tend to err on the harsh side. For instance he slapped CP2077 with 6/10.... The review was hilarious through, with EA, Activision and Bethesda portrayed as bad crowd trying to get young CDPR into drugs in the school yard :D

• Haha 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

On 10/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, ryan said:

Its a good game, not great. who cares if it has flaws all games do except rdr2. I think if you don't like starfield in 2023 there are not many games you will like. not many 10/10 games, heck even forza motorsport was a flop, terrible experience with it. I have never hated a racing game. 

lol rdr2 has flaws.. or i wouldn't have uninstalled it after 35 hours to free up SSD space...  i'll probably eventually get back to it, just got bored of it for some reason.. I definitely liked the first one better.

9 minutes ago, hfm said:

lol rdr2 has flaws.. or i wouldn't have uninstalled it after 35 hours to free up SSD space...  i'll probably eventually get back to it, just got bored of it for some reason

I did the same, played it for the first few missions, explored a bit but it didn't draw me in and yes, I wanted disk space for something else...

• Bump 1

I hear ya. but as far as games go its near perfect according to the reviews. also I had a laugh also, as I installed it played a bit then uninstalled it for space also. starfield on the other hand I keep coming back to

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 2 weeks later...

starfield just got an official dlss update.(false)

saw it in a youtube video. but I don't see it in game yet if ever, kind of a bummer when you read false headlines.

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

yeah I just stopped playing it, i think ill get back into it and the dlss update is officially out and has been out for a while now. its a great game just repetitive

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

• 1 month later...

Dead game, even the modders dont want to touch it😄

• Thumb Up 1

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

Oof! Looks like the D4 treatment from the players lol

Ah no, that news with D4 was fake. There are a lot of players still playing d4, myself included 😄(around 150k-200K daily)