Jump to content
NotebookTalk

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi, this is my first post here.

 

I have an Alienware 17 R1 (Ranger) laptop.

It currently has the AMD R9 m290x / 8970m graphics card and the 1080p 60hz matte screen.

 

I want to upgrade the graphics card to a NVIDIA GTX 980m 8GB.

 

1st question - Is buying from AliExpress okay? Have people had good or bad experiences buying MXM GPUs from there? Should I get it from somewhere else?

 

2nd question - Is there a particular variant of the 980m that is known to work with the 17 R1 laptop? Or is any fine.

 

3rd question - Should I just spend a bit more to get the GTX 1060 6GB? I don't really wanna spend more than $200 AUD on the card.

 

There is a good AliExpress sale coming up in a few days that I want to take advantage of.

 

Thank you!

Posted

I bought a 980m from Aliexpress about 2017ish...lasted until 2020 then suddenly died. Apparently the VRM's are underpowered on these models. I really should look at repairing it but I don't use my Ranger much at all :classic_sad:

 

Aliexpress listing will say if it has vbios for Alienware!

 

I skipped the 1060 and tried an MSI 1070m...requires cutting your chassis a bit.

Thunderchild // Lenovo Legion Y740 17" i7-9750H rtx2080maxQ win10LTSC 

RainBird // Alienware 17 (Ranger) i7-4910mq gtx860m win8.1

JunkDog // Desktop Asrock 660M i3-12100F ARC A580 win10LTSC

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use