NotebookTalk

It's been 15(!) years on laptop and 3 years of saving up - Time to build a Monster Desktop! *w00t w00t*

jaybee83

Time to show your colors! If you're currently upgrading / building your system, what's your poison?!  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

its kinda funny 2 years ago people were saying 4k gaming was a ways off...now 2 years later the 4090 can do 8k....technology damn does it advance fast makes me wonder where artificial intelligence will be in 5 years

• Thumb Up 2

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

11 minutes ago, ryan said:

its kinda funny 2 years ago people were saying 4k gaming was a ways off...now 2 years later the 4090 can do 8k....technology damn does it advance fast makes me wonder where artificial intelligence will be in 5 years

Yeah I don't think anyone is getting a 4090 for 8k outside of Jensen himself 

I did enjoy playing Dead Space 2 @4k120 with my 1070 but that was using a couple of applications to get it there. 

• Thumb Up 1

its not that it can do 8k60 in all games its just now that it can do 8k60 with older titles and some new....not that 8k is a thing

i missed where I said people are buying the 4090 for 8k gaming...jeesh im getting old and senile.

its like talking about elephants and then saying peanuts are not interesting

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

4 hours ago, ryan said:

yeah, at least the 4090 cam dp 8K much mpre realistically than the 3090 where Nvidia actually advertized 8K gaming 😂 i think the 4090 caught a lot of ppl off guard, turned out way more powerful, frugal in terms of power and spikes ("frugal" compared to 3090(Ti) at least) and "good value" than expected.

3 hours ago, Reciever said:

Yeah I don't think anyone is getting a 4090 for 8k outside of Jensen himself 

I did enjoy playing Dead Space 2 @4k120 with my 1070 but that was using a couple of applications to get it there. 

haha yep, at this point in time its doubtful if 8K will ever even become a "thing", if most reviewers at LTT couldnt even tell the difference between 8K and 4K (recently published vid). it could be smth like CPU cores and Ghz where specs have reached a "good enough for 99% of ppl" kinda level. at least for now it looks like refresh rates and color ranges / contrast ratios (HDR) will become more important moving forward.

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

i watched a documentary years ago and in it they were saying the tipping point is 16k. 8k hard to tell..16k not possible...but of course it depends on how big the display is and how far away(par.200in from 1 foot)..looks like display tech will peak in our lifetimes that is until holograms become a thing....evidentally it is possible

heres something worth watching\

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

16 hours ago, ryan said:

i watched a documentary years ago and in it they were saying the tipping point is 16k. 8k hard to tell..16k not possible...but of course it depends on how big the display is and how far away(par.200in from 1 foot)..looks like display tech will peak in our lifetimes that is until holograms become a thing....evidentally it is possible

heres something worth watching\

interesting stuff. i must say i was a bit worried when switching from my 15 inch 4k screen to my current Neo G8 at 32 inches and same resolution. my worries were that at such a diagonal increase Id start noticing individual pixels. but guess what? nope. its still insanely sharp and cant notice any individual pixels whatsoever! but im glad i went with the 4K Neo G8 vs. my initial plan of going with the Neo G9 1440p panel...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I sit 2 feet from a nice 55in 4k tv and it looks sharp barely see the pixels when looking for them and not possible to notice them while gaming and well everything except reading...I can see why they are saying it will top at 16k..mind you we said that about 4k and now there's 8k..but then again 8k is more novelty than practical unless the screen is like 60in from 2 feet away..

The neo g8 eh..I'm jealous..I was told to buy a gigabyte or arorus 42in gaming monitor fror 750 however went with a 55in 4k 120h Sony x85j..its a great tv but I can't stand the fact it does not do full 4k at 120hz while using as a desktop when it matters...during gaming it's a full 4k 4 2 2 and looks great..but only with consoles...I'm trying to sell it for 540 cad and upgrade to a 55u88h by hisense because of its oled like blacks and extreme brightness as well as motion handling and the fact it does true 5k120 whilst hooked up to a pc

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 9/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, jaybee83 said:

💥

Woahh – duuuude! I go and drop dead again for a couple of months only to return now and discover that in the meantime, you've created a new life, gone on a honeymoon, and picked up a little pocket souvenir along the way! :classic_tongue:

Massive congratulations, I'm so happy for you! ❤️

It is similar for me for time since last desktop purchase; I think ~ 2006 (was AMD X2 + 7600GT). Funnily enough a good friend of mine also got himself a gaming desktop recently around the same time his child came along. I guess it makes for a nice break away from things. He is like you in enjoying a little RGB, though I would have to say I am more with @Papusanon that one and prefer everything to be clean and all black myself. 🙈

Your shopping list is also the perfect proof that I was right to buy my Clevo instead of a desktop when I did, since I knew if I got a desktop I wouldn't be able to resist spending a lot more on it, particularly with the monitor. But man, am I so jealous of that rig now lol. Do I dare ask what the final bill came to? I might have to start doing some calculations regarding the state of my rapidly dwindling savings, and how long more I really want to live for :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ryan said:

Yeah I sit 2 feet from a nice 55in 4k tv and it looks sharp barely see the pixels when looking for them and not possible to notice them while gaming and well everything except reading...I can see why they are saying it will top at 16k..mind you we said that about 4k and now there's 8k..but then again 8k is more novelty than practical unless the screen is like 60in from 2 feet away..

The neo g8 eh..I'm jealous..I was told to buy a gigabyte or arorus 42in gaming monitor fror 750 however went with a 55in 4k 120h Sony x85j..its a great tv but I can't stand the fact it does not do full 4k at 120hz while using as a desktop when it matters...during gaming it's a full 4k 4 2 2 and looks great..but only with consoles...I'm trying to sell it for 540 cad and upgrade to a 55u88h by hisense because of its oled like blacks and extreme brightness as well as motion handling and the fact it does true 5k120 whilst hooked up to a pc

haha not need to be jealous man, especially not with a frigging 55 INCH 4K TV! 😄 

10 hours ago, Ishayin said:

Woahh – duuuude! I go and drop dead again for a couple of months only to return now and discover that in the meantime, you've created a new life, gone on a honeymoon, and picked up a little pocket souvenir along the way! :classic_tongue:

Massive congratulations, I'm so happy for you! ❤️

It is similar for me for time since last desktop purchase; I think ~ 2006 (was AMD X2 + 7600GT). Funnily enough a good friend of mine also got himself a gaming desktop recently around the same time his child came along. I guess it makes for a nice break away from things. He is like you in enjoying a little RGB, though I would have to say I am more with @Papusanon that one and prefer everything to be clean and all black myself. 🙈

Your shopping list is also the perfect proof that I was right to buy my Clevo instead of a desktop when I did, since I knew if I got a desktop I wouldn't be able to resist spending a lot more on it, particularly with the monitor. But man, am I so jealous of that rig now lol. Do I dare ask what the final bill came to? I might have to start doing some calculations regarding the state of my rapidly dwindling savings, and how long more I really want to live for :classic_laugh:

LOL thanks a ton for the kind words my man! hahaha that put a big smile on my face reading this comment 😁

its been a bit hectic lately, trying to carve out 1-2 hours a day to play around with Hyperion, but its not easy haha. currently packing stuff up and moving to a new appartment, plus my new job starts in Dec (talk about a lot of change in a small time frame 😅)

regarding the RGB, i can see it getting boring real quick, will likely change to a solid color soon (like white or aquamarine blue, along those lines). total black out wouldnt be for me, wanna see my hardware, even in the dark haha.

as for the spending, its kind of a mix up if u ask me. on DTRs u dont have as much flexibility and addon stuff u might be able to purchase, but the hardware is WAY more expensive in terms of price to performance. on the desktop though, u can go absolutely bonkers with addons and accessories, which makes it a total money pit LOL. i actually listed the component prices in the OP if u wanna look it up haha. but lets see, so far the total bill comes to... 7430€, thats including taxes and shipping. im still waiting on the X670 Asus cashback promotion to pay out, then itll be down to roughly 7300€.

im not done yet though LOL. still need to get more fans to stack out my monster case and improve airflow, need a high cap HDD for backup purposes, a colorimeter to properly calibrate my display, an internal 10 inch display to show monitoring data, maybe some LED strips / thermal pads / misc. cables for some tuning fun. id say another 1000-1500€ to go before the battlestation is fully ready and kitted out 😄 

LOL mind you, all that money is just disposable income, our actual savings are currently dwindling due to more serious stuff like buying a card, getting mobiliar and stuff for the baby, downpayment for the new appartment, etc... haha but those are investments into the future, so its fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was gone for a bit. Now I'm back. I still cannot believe you bought what you did. Even if I was a billionaire I think I still would not have bought the 4090. Overkill. But dude enjoy getting over 144fps at 4k...you waited and you deserve it

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 12/3/2022 at 12:17 PM, ryan said:

I was gone for a bit. Now I'm back. I still cannot believe you bought what you did. Even if I was a billionaire I think I still would not have bought the 4090. Overkill. But dude enjoy getting over 144fps at 4k...you waited and you deserve it

haha its funny though, the 4090 is the most "sensible" halo gpu in a loong time. currently the only 40 series card (including the upcoming 4070 and 4070 Ti models) that has ANY value proposition to it. not because its "cheap", but because its so INSANELY fast that its 1600 USD price tag actually seems good 😂

speaking of which, i should finish up gpu ocing in the upcoming days, got sidetracked with playing Wolfenstein lol. finished the new order and started the old blood, tons of fun!

• Thumb Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, awesome desktop you got there @jaybee83

I just returned to the notebook world with a nice Asus Tuf A15 Ryzen 6800H GTX 3070 140W which was on sale during black friday, couldn't resist.:classic_biggrin:

Well still working in neurochemistry, searching for the dementia markers in CSF.

All the best to you and congrats to your expanding family!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Dementia eh. I prob have that haha. What about refreshing the veins increasing blood flow and inturn oxygen. Fix ishemic vessel 

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Wow, what a monster!  Congrats!!  

• Thanks 1

Laptops:
1. Clevo P750DM-G: Z170 chipset, Intel 6700K cpu, Quadro P4200 gpu, 64GB HyperX DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Prema BIOS, modded cooling.
2. Clevo N960KR: H570 chipset, Intel 11700K cpu, RTX 3070 gpu, 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3000MHz RAM. Unlocked BIOS, additional mods in progress.

On 12/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, steberg said:

Wow, awesome desktop you got there @jaybee83

I just returned to the notebook world with a nice Asus Tuf A15 Ryzen 6800H GTX 3070 140W which was on sale during black friday, couldn't resist.:classic_biggrin:

Well still working in neurochemistry, searching for the dementia markers in CSF.

All the best to you and congrats to your expanding family!

long time no see / talk my friend! thanks for the kind words, appreciate it 🙂 enjoy your new mobile beast, sounds like u got a good deal on it!

also keep up the good work, tons of people heavily depending on that kind of research. ive since switched from academia to the industry, now serving all the "big bad pharma" globals as customers for aseptic filling and packaging for their drug products 😄 

as for Hyperion, trying to get as much time on it as possible, but its hard...especially with the new job now naturally taking up a lot of time. also, our new appartment is still strewn with boxes and suitcases, total chaos 😅 have to wait until january to get our new mobiliar in so we can finally tidy up a bit here...

in the meantime, my lady is happily growing in size / volume, with the little princess developing nicely as she should 🙂 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:21 PM, ryan said:

I noticed you have a state of the art monitor 4k 240hz...anything that you own saturate that????

LOL take your pick of 3+ year old games maxxed out on the 4090 bud 😄 

aside from that, the smoooooooooooooooooooothness even on regular ol' desktop environment is unbeatable. total pleasure to work and play on this monitor 🙂 

the 24 or 27 incher (cant tell lol) they provided at my workplace feels SO SMALL in comparison 😄 and very grainy, too...its "only" FHD 😛 

Awesome build. I dig it all!  great job!

• Thanks 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

15 hours ago, ryan said:

i wonder if he can get 240fps at 4k in crysis that would be insane

found this

challenge accepted 😋😎 currently at my in law's for xmas so will take a week until i get back to my beast haha

happy holidays everyone!

• Thumb Up 2

my true first name is Jordan. just a fun fact.

another fun fact I think if you ran all low textures high and vegetation high rt off you might get an average of 240fps in crysis remastered

also happy holidays....I hope you get smashed on new years

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

On 12/29/2022 at 2:43 PM, ryan said:

my true first name is Jordan. just a fun fact.

another fun fact I think if you ran all low textures high and vegetation high rt off you might get an average of 240fps in crysis remastered

also happy holidays....I hope you get smashed on new years

im already smashed and its barely 31-Dec here now haha. 650km drive with my pregnant wife at 7 months yesterday, having picked up a TON of baby stuff from my best buddy and his lady, packed two cars to the brink and only arrived late last night. phew...

now catching up on what i missed here during the past week.

oh nice. I hope you have a wicked good new years, thats for everyone here. your beast awaits/ 🙂

• Bump 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

im really enjoying my 55in 120/4k/tv setup. I seem to actually be able to game at 4k/60 with mixed settings on almost all games, and the ones that dont do 60 theres fsr and dlss which bumps it past 60 usually. its going to be hard moving away from this setup. I think my next purchase will be a controller and ill just game at 1080p from my couch. its about 9 feet away and I don't have good enough vision to spot the difference between 1080p and 4k at 9 feet. so I guess I have a 1080p or 1440p beast. but your 4k setup I envy you I heard your monitor is 2000nits.

so yeah honestly my next tv will be 8k oled or qled and i think thats all she wrote for the next 10 years(tv) and ill upgrade to a desktop or get a better laptop in 4 years. I really don't see demand spiking and not many good games are coming out...mind you when GTA VI comes out and its as good as it should be Ill probably upgrade if it needs to. I would just like to run it at 4k/60 mixed settings, rtx off as I couldnt care less for ray tracing

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

@jaybee83oh cmon  lol....we NBTians love benchmarks. can you manage 240fps at 4k all low with crysis if so i think i might buy one on the 10th

• Haha 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled