NotebookTalk

It's been 15(!) years on laptop and 3 years of saving up - Time to build a Monster Desktop! *w00t w00t*

jaybee83

Time to show your colors! If you're currently upgrading / building your system, what's your poison?!  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My fellow NBT freaks / enthusiasts,

2007 was the last time I had a desktop, that's when i switched over to laptop-land for travel and work purposes. Just 2 years after, I joined NBR to squeeze a bit more out of my Asus C90S and the rest is history 🤠

Now, after 3 friggin years, a worldwide pandemic, rise and fall of a cryptomining empire (and shortly before me and my lady expect out first kid due in mid-march and thus my gaming days are almost over!), I am finally ready to get back into the promised desktop land! 😁

Plan is to detail my components and reasoning behind my choices, as well as the building process, followed by setup, tuning, and of course some sweet sweet performance results.

Nuff around the bush beating, lets cut to the chase!

Components

Motherboard - Ordered 30-Sep, received 07-Oct

Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme, AM5 Platform

h525

Price paid (including tax, shipping, minus cashback) - 1025€

I chose AM5 due to its expected longevity vs. Z790, AMD quoted minimum support until including 2025, potentially longer. So could be viable until Zen 6, hopefully longer. With Intel, even if they manage to beat Ryzen 7000 with 13th gen in some (but not all) instances, ure 100% guaranteed to be on a dead platform.

That being said, if you look at my current machine (see sig), youll notice that im the type of guy who likes to invest into a solid baseline for a system and then prefers to tune it and upgrade it as much as possible rather than jumping to a new system every year. So in conclusion, I wanted to go with a flagship motherboard that includes the max features. Why Asus, and not MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, EVGA you might ask?

MSI Godlike has the most highpowered VRMs out of all AM5 flagships, but lacks USB 4.0, less Gen5 M.2 slots and just costs WAY too much (yes, even more ridiculous than the Asus Crossfire Extreme 🤣)

Gigabyte Aorus Extreme is the cheapest of the flagships, but also sports the weakest VRMs and again lacks USB 4.0 just like MSI. Thats a no go, I need sturdy VRMs to be ready for any potential future AMD flagship CPUs down the road.

Asrock and Biostar are out of the question for me personally, due to their stupid behaviour towards the press (see Asrock blacklisting of HUB and GN), as well as a niche existence with barebones Bios and customer support (Biostar).

SO that leaves the Asus Crossfire Extreme with second strongest VRMs, USB 4.0 support, good Bios update support and not the most stupid ridonkulous pricing on the market (just second most stupid lulz).

Oh, one more goodie to add here: its so far the only AM5 motherboard to sport dual bios, thus u can safely flash a new bios version and test it for bugs and performance without having to worry about disabled flashback optionality (which, unfortunately, a lot of bios versions have implemented nowadays).

CPU - ordered 27-Sep, received 04-Oct

AMD Ryzen 7950X

WzuALAMWiCQ9DRN4MHey94.jpg

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 850€

Welp, spending so much on a flagship motherboard and then going with a 7600X?! What did you expect, OF COURSE Im going with the 16 core monstrosity 🤣 Jokes aside, not only gonna do gaming on this but also get some work done, so its basically best of both worlds.

GPU - Ordered 12-Oct, received 13-Oct

Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO --> changed to MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X (read details below)

gczt-211_gczt_211_01_800x800.jpg

Price paid (expected, including tax and shipping) - 2050-2250€

GPU tier & chip was quite straight forward: I want the flagship and ill just take the one thats released first by either Nvidia or AMD. Look guys, Ive got a kid on the way, so a month waiting is a month of gaming lost! So, Nvidia 4090 it is, then 😄 

But which vendor? Now this was a tricky one. I originally planned to go with an EVGA, specifically FTW4 Ultra (or whatever the name would have been) due to their outstanding customer support and the option to extend the warranty to 10 freaking years! But, as you all know, EVGA is now out of the GPU game (power to them for showing Nvidia what consequences are!). So the first I checked out were Asus and MSI, both known for well built GPUs, sturdy VRMs and competent cooling solutions. Only thing lacking: warranties, both only provide 3 years. Im thinking Ill need at least 4 years if not 5, since earliest Ill upgrade would be in two generations or 4 years away in 2026. For this reason I am planning to go with Zotac, they actually offer an extended 5 yr warranty upon registration of the purchased GPU. Based on their company profile and customer support Ive seen so far, they are a bit like EVGA, but more of a "light" version. They arent are balls to the wall when it comes to ultra highend custom board like with the EVGA Kingpin editions, but they still seem to do a good job and treat their customers well.

In the meantime I was also able to get a bit of info on the cooling solution of the flagship AMP Extreme AIRO card: 9 heatpipes, vapour chamber, dual bios, 115 mm fans, 24+4 phases (Nvidia stock is at 21+2, with Asus Strix and MSI Suprim X also at 24+4).

Sounds good to me! Now to wait until 12-Oct before I snipe me one...

Edit: Sooooo, after the AIB reviews came out and the sales launch turned out to be a true shit show, I spent roughly 1.5 hours hopping between 10-15 online shops and price comparison portals, all the while trying to gulp down reviews on AIB cards as best I can to determine how good the initially planned Zotac card actually is! In the end, the Zotac turned out to be too expensive for its meager cooling (no improvement vs. FE) and the best overall cards to get were either the Asus Strix (waaaay overpriced even at official pricing, with added scalping going down basically immediately) or the MSI Suprim X. The latter's cooling is imperceptibly worse than the formers, but the MSI actually has beefier VRMs with 26 phases vs. the Asus card's 24. Plus, I was able to get the Suprim X at a comparably good price:

Price paid (including tax and overnight express shipping) - 2275€

package1.jpg

dimensions.jpg

weight.jpg

In comparison, the Asus Strix went for at least 2550€, with most offers ranging 2600-2900€, completely insane if you ask me and definitely not worth all the extra dough. I can say I was lucky I got the Suprim X when I did, basically 5 seconds later the card was sold out at the vendor i got it from (lucky also for me, the vendor is a big reputable online shop so not worried about warranty stuff).

Speaking of warranty, MSI only offers 3 years vs. the Zotac 5 yr warranty, but at least includes cooler swap (or rather maintenance for my purposes), so thats at least a balancing out. Another thing to consider with the MSI card is its somewhat lower max power limit of 520W vs. the 600W of the FE, Asus Strix and Gigabyte Gaming OC. The FE is out of the question, since no dual bios and crappy cooler, Asus Strix is overpriced as mentioned before and the Gigabyte Gaming OC looks crappy and also has supbar cooling. But no worries here, TPU's vbios database already lists several 600W vbios versions, so when the time comes ill just flash and voila, problem solved 🙂 

Monitor - Ordered 09-Sep, Received a week later, now sitting on my Desk 😁

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 

Odyssey-Neo-G82-pcgh.jpg

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 1060€

This is probably going to be a controversial one. The specs are absolutely amazing at HDR 2000 nits, UHD, 240 Hz, ultra fast VA panel. However, a lot of reviews found that the 2000 "marketing nits" of brightness did not stand up to scrutiny, but rather a still very respectable ~1200 nits. In addition, Samsung and its Odyssey line hasnt been known for their Quality Control, with panels arriving including weird "burn marks" (HUB), annoying scanlines at the full 240 Hz (various user reports and reviews), as well as other stuff like dead/stuck pixels or noticeable blooming.

But you know what? I didnt care 😂 I took the plunge when I saw an amazing deal (see price above) and I also noticed that a lot of user reviews had perfect panels without any of the mentioned shortcomings. So i played the panel lottery and won 🤠 Image is absolutely stunning, there are no noticeable scanlines, no dead/stuck pixels, no cosmetic blemishes and blooming is only noticeable when looking at the panel from weird off angles (i.e. from above or steeply from the side), likely due to its curve. But sitting right in front of it is just breathtaking... Be it as it may, this is also my very first HDR monitor, so take this as it is 😄 I for one am super happy and the highend specs will make any hardware sweat for years to come 🙂 Again, longevity was my goal here!

Storage - Ordered 03-Sep, received 3 days later, awaiting data transfer

Seagate Firecuda 530 4TB PCIe 4.0x4 with heatsink

seagate-firecuda-530-4tb-heatsink.jpg

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 580€

I am currently sporting a 970 Pro 1TB and 2x4TB 860 Evos for a total of 9TB SSD space. That might seem like a lot but my 1TB system drive is already 60% full, with the two 4TB drives both at approx. 75% filled. So I figured I might as well splurge on storage and get myself a new 4TB system & data combo drive. Unfortunately, highend MLC drives have gone the way of the Dodo, especially since Samsung as the last holdout decided it was a grand idea to switch to TLC for their 980 Pro (and their upcoming 990 Pro). In general, I'd consider myself a total Samsung fanboy when it comes to SSD storage, they are just THAT good and reliable (just check the reliability reports by Backblaze and ull see what I mean). But this time around....I dunno, I wanted to try something new, something different. The 980 Pro, albeit a sensationally good drive, felt a bit lacking for my tastes. Soooo, what else is there? With MLC out of the picture, TLC is where it's at now, QLC can rot in hell if you ask me.

Other musts for my requirements:

- NVME drive

- PCIE 4.0

- DRAM Cache

- 2.5 PB TBW at minimum

- 5 Years Warranty

In the end I chose the Seagate Firecuda drive for its 5 year warranty, high 5.1 PB TBW and 3 year data recovery service included in the warranty. Performance wise it is also pretty much at the top, even ekeing out the 980 Pro, Corsair MP600 and WD SN850 drives here and there. The only other drive that tops all of the mentioned would be the recently released SK Hynix Platinum P41, but that is neither available in Europe, nor does it come in 4 TB flavour. In any case, the 4TB Seagate should last me a while before additional storage becomes necessary. My plan is to RAID 0 up the two 860 Evo drives and set up a 18TB HDD spinning rust as backup for ease of mind.

PSU - Ordered 27-Sep, received 28-Sep

Seasonic TX-1600 Titanium

Bild in Originalgröße - 2022/07/Seasonic-Prime-TX-1600-pcgh.jpg

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 470€

This was another tough decision due to the newly published Intel ATX3.0 Power Supply standard, which is especially important for the next-gen of GPUs Nvidia 40 Series Ada Lovelace and AMD 7000 Series RDNA3. The main factor here is that ATX3.0 allows power supplies to temporarily exceed their rated spec by 2-3x in order to be able and buffer short spikes in the micro to millisecond range without giving out. Add to that the new 16 pin 12VHPWR PCIe 5 connector that is slated to replace the traditional 8 and 6 pin PCIe connectors for power supply to GPUs, which is also part of the new ATX3.0 spec.

So much for background info! So, where does that leave us enthusiasts who want to build a new system NAOH? The issue is, that already existing and upcoming PSUs following the ATX3.0 standard are "not up to snuff" for my Titanium and high wattage taste. The highest powered PSU for ATX3.0 currently available is the Thermaltake GF3 1650W, which "only" has 80Plus-Gold efficiency, "only" 10 years warranty (Seasonic provides up to 12!) and "Thermalfake" is also not really known for their outstanding product quality and customer support. Out of the question then. What about upcoming Seasonic PSUs for ATX3.0? Well, weve got the Vertex series which is slated to this December (too late for me, unfortunately), and will come in Gold and Platinum flavours (no Titanium goodness) and max. rating at 1200W. Pricing at up to 300USD also indicates a lower tier product vs. the Prime TX series of PSUs.

So I did some thinking and research to get a better idea. First, the TX-1600, although not officially certified for ATX3.0, does actually provide TWO PCIe 5 12VHPWR cables including the much discussed additional 4 sense pins. In addition, reviews by Toms Hardware and kitguru showed a max stable wattage in the range of 1850 - 2100W, leaving plenty of buffer for additional power draw of next-gen gpus and their dreaded transient spikes (not confirmed yet though). That, plus TItanium efficiency, Seasonic 12 yr warranty, an overabundance of superlong cables, cool design and last but not least an included free goodie (65W GaN super compact charger) in the end made me decide to go with the TX-1600.

Naturally, I will update you guys if I encounter any power delivery problems with the planned Zotac 4090 for this build. So stay tuned!

RAM - Ordered 08-Sep, received 10-Sep

G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6600 2x16 GB (Black)

164853935913.png

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 440€

This one was pretty straight forward: Just get the currently fastest available sticks with some RGB bling and call it a day 😄 I am sure brother @Papusan will cry himself to sleep tonight when he reads this, being such a fan of blacked out components but allergic to RGB haha! In any case, we all know that the age of big CPU OC gains are pretty much over, at most you can hope for like 5-10% at most with a nicely binned cpu these days, more often than not much less. Thus, RAM OC becomes a far more interesting endeavour, having shown that on newer platforms higher bandwidth and lower latencies can vastly increase workloads and gaming (i.e. minimum fps) in ranges of up to 20+30%!

Unfortunately I had a bad timing when buying this kit, its now available for like 360€ plus the new Hynix A-Die is slowly becoming available, which was shown to be able and reach up to 8000 Mhz on a single stick, with dual channel in the mid to high 7000s. Nonetheless, the Hynix M-Die that this G.Skill kit is based on can definitely do 6800 with "regular" VDIMM or even 7000 with high VDIMM (but that apparently needs active cooling with a fan pointed directly at the sticks). Curious to see how far Ill be able to push these sticks 🙂 

Keyboard - Ordered 26-Sep, received 10-Oct

Ducky One 3 Fullsize 100% Daybreak (MX Brown)

gata-1568_gata_1568_01_800x800.jpg

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 200€

For this one I had to do a bit of research, since I hadnt used or really cared about desktop keyboards for years. First thing I did was go to shops and check what kind of switches would be my thing. Turns out Blues are too clicky and loud, Reds are lacking tactile feedback, so Browns it was as the mide road / nice balance of the former two! Blacks, Silvers, Speeds, Low Height, etc, and all those other "special" switches didnt really interest me much. I needed something that felt good and that I could use for both gaming and work efficiently. Size was easy, I definitely couldnt do without my beloved NumPad, so fullsize FTW! Now came the tricky part: Which manufacturer and model? Lots of Cherry originals, Corsairs, etc. around. But then I noticed "Ducky", never heard of them before. Their designs intrigued me, it was something unusual and fresh, and not so "gamery gimmicky" looking, but still not too classic to be boring. Turns out they make super high quality keyboards, include swappable switches and keycaps, PBT keycaps for extralong lifetime and no "glossy" wearing off over time or disappearance of keycap labels.

Initially, I was planning to go with a Ducky One 2 in white, but then the One 3 came out and I really liked the Daybreak model, so here we are 🙂 

Case - Ordered 26-Sep, received 10-Oct

Phanteks Enthoo Pro II Tempered Glass

Enthoo-Pro-2-Ansicht.png

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 180€

For the case, the two main priorities were good airflow / temps, as well as lots of space! I keep tabs on GN case reviews to determine how well current model cases perform with their standardized hardware testing setup. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro II stood out quite comfortable and to this day is actually the case sporting the absolute best GPU thermals of all cases, add to that top third CPU thermal performance. It has tons of space in all dimensions, since it is actually capable of housing two systems at the same time (not interesting for me but that also means more space for hardware!). Further boons are USB 3.2 and USB-C connectors at the front, capability to install a 420mm radiator (or even up to 480mm!), fan mounts for days, sleek but not over the top "gamery gimmicky" looks, dust filters and cable management options and also a good reputation by Phanteks as a case brand. Not everything is 100% set in stone yet, since Ill need to have the case in front of me first, but so far I'm planning to mount a 420mm radiator for CPU cooling either up top (if space permits) or in the front in push/pull config, then do front and bottom as intakes, with top and rear as outlets for airflow. The gpu and RAM, as well as the mobo VRMs and SSDs would then be nicely covered with more than sufficient airflow. We are talking a total of 13 case fans plus 3 gpu fans and potentially one more fan each for direct RAM cooling and gpu backplate cooling 😂 Overkill? Nah.... 😛 

CPU Cooling - Ordered 06-Oct, received 08-Oct

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 A-RGB

liquid-freezer-ii-420-argb-g04.jpg

Price paid (including tax and shipping) - 125€

For this one I was sure I wanted to go water cooling, but did not want to go full custom loop in order to keep the budget in check (i know, i know, thats ridiculous considering the rest of the build LOL). So in order to offset that, I wanted to go as large and thicc as possible for the radiator size, thus there was no way around the LF II 420. Not only is it one of the few 420mm AiOs on the market, but it's also the thickest of the bunch at a cool (pun intended) 38 mm. I chose the A-RGB version, so that I can use the fans in other positions inside the case and replace them with 6x Noctua IPPC 3000rpm in a push-pull config. Think THAT might be enough to cool the hot-headed 7950X? 😄 In any case, I'll plan to do some additional tuning (that goes for all the hardware in this build), to maximize peformance and minimize temps. Not sure if ill go bare die, but delid and liquid metal are definitely options.

Mouse - Ordered 02-Sep, received 05-Sep

Corsair M65 RGB Ultra

corsair-m65-rgb-ultra.jpg

Price paid (including tax, shipping and warranty extension to 3 years) - 100€

My current mouse that I am using with my laptop is the Mionix Castor with a total of 6 buttons, so thats what I set as the minimum when looking around for a new mouse to accompany this build. In addition, I definitely wanted to go wired, since I dont want to deal with degrading batteries in such a mundane thing as a mouse. We are talking stationary usage anyways, so why bother going wireless, right? Next thing I was looking at was the overall design (naturally very subjective), i.e. I didnt want anything completely bonkers like MadCatz models or ones with holes in their bodies (wth?! whyyyyy). I ended up narrowing it down to the Corsair M65 Ultra of the Roccat Kone XP Arctic White. I generally like the Roccat mouse design and I think their Kone series in white is pretty sexy! However, I have read for their Kone Aimo Remastered and Kone Pure Ultra that unintentional double clicks seem to pop up quite often after a short while on the left click button. Since I already have this problem with my current Mionix Castor, I wouldnt like to repeat this! Admittedly though, the Castor has now been in use for over 5.5 years, so its not a big shame that such things happen. Nevertheless, this double click issue plus the over the top RGB gamery lighting of the Kone XP drove me towards the M65 Ultra. The only challenge here was to actually get my hands on one, since they seemed to have been out of stock for almost a full year during the height of the pandemic, only recently returning back in stock at regular MSRP pricing. In any case, I got one at MSRP and also added an extra year of warranty to be on the safe side with any potential double click or other issues!

Accessories / Misc

This section will be for additional upgrades down the line that Ive got planned, i.e. case and radiator fans, fan adapter cables, LED strips, thermal pads, internal display for monitoring purposes (gotta use that bigass case, after all!), a display colorimeter to properly calibrate my monster display and a high capacity HDD for backup purposes. Ill update it step by step whenever I put an order in for items, thus WIP.

• Thumb Up 8
  • Like 4

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Now that looks like a beastly rig!  You weren't kidding about building a monster desktop.  But like you say, with only a few months to enjoy it before your free time mostly goes away... now's the time!

With the other specs, I'm expecting at least 64 GB of RAM.

SeaSonic PSU for the awesome 12-year warranty and rock solid reliability?  Or do they not go quite as high-wattage as a 4090 + OC'ed 7950 would prefer?

• Bump 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

11 minutes ago, Sandy Bridge said:

Now that looks like a beastly rig!  You weren't kidding about building a monster desktop.  But like you say, with only a few months to enjoy it before your free time mostly goes away... now's the time!

With the other specs, I'm expecting at least 64 GB of RAM.

SeaSonic PSU for the awesome 12-year warranty and rock solid reliability?  Or do they not go quite as high-wattage as a 4090 + OC'ed 7950 would prefer?

haha spot on for the PSU, i went with the 1600 watt 80Plus-Titanium TX-1600 from Seasonic. I hesitated a bit due to it not being ATX3.0 but theres basically nothing even on the horizon that would equal that efficiency. upcoming atx3.0 by seasonic only max out at 1200W platinum. either that or go with thermaltake 1650W atx3.0 80plus Gold....in the end i went for the 12 yr warranty and efficiency. 

as for RAM, ill start off with "only" 32 gigs ddr5-6600, then maybe up it later down the road, lets see. first i wanna do some accessory tuning on the machine, i.e. additional fans, internal display for hardware monitoring stuff, backup HDD i mentioned in the OP, colorimeter for display calibration, etc ..

• Thumb Up 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

22 minutes ago, Reciever said:

I havent had a need for anything beyond 32GB personally but Im just a normie who knows a few tricks, no production to speak of (typically the opposite)

Thanks for making the thread 🙂 I look forward to giving it a new home when the time is right! 

Disable the page file in windows. And you’ll see that 32GB of ram go bye bye playing demanding games maxed out. This was actually a new discovery for me. 

I play the game RUST a lot. It’s a fairly well optimized game now. Normally It only uses about 10-11GB of ram fully maxed out running around in a large map with my page file enabled. However if you disable the page file, the ram usage goes way up! I tried to disable my page file and I noticed lower and flatter latency graph and much better minimum fps performance on a few titles I have tried it on. But these games will eventually crash because I end up consuming my full 32GB of ram after hours+ of playing on end. 

This really makes 64GB needed if you want to turn off the page file. Which does provide smoother latency performance for some reason. 

I always thought 32GB was overkill until disabling my page file in Windows 11. I’d leave it off if it were up to me. No more skipping in certain games, with smoother performance too. 

13900KF

18 minutes ago, tps3443 said:

Disable the page file in windows. And you’ll see that 32GB of ram go bye bye playing demanding games maxed out. This was actually a new discovery for me. 

I play the game RUST a lot. It’s a fairly well optimized game now. Normally It only uses about 10-11GB of ram fully maxed out running around in a large map with my page file enabled. However if you disable the page file, the ram usage goes way up! I tried to disable my page file and I noticed lower and flatter latency graph and much better minimum fps performance on a few titles I have tried it on. But these games will eventually crash because I end up consuming my full 32GB of ram after hours+ of playing on end. 

This really makes 64GB needed if you want to turn off the page file. Which does provide smoother latency performance for some reason. 

I always thought 32GB was overkill until disabling my page file in Windows 11. I’d leave it off if it were up to me. No more skipping in certain games, with smoother performance too. 

I have been in the habit of having page file enabled lately for mining, dont believe I have anything set currently for my current system but I'll be moving it back to 32GB 3200Mhz as the faster RAM will do better on the 10850K. Winter is coming so that means its time to get some submissions going for Team Prema. I'll keep that in mind when I swap it back though! Thanks for the tip :) 

Be aware you need an beefy cooling. One bin up for each 20C degrees you can go below... The new normal. God luck, brother with your new build. And remember... Don't go bananas with bling bling😎 All black, brother🙂

image.png.fb4b7f314d8d36103dd8b9ef7785fdd6.png

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

9 hours ago, tps3443 said:

makes sense, if the game needs to load up any items and it uses the page file on the main storage, even if its an Nvme SSD itll take waaaaay longer than loading resources from RAM, thus the higher latency. i go for a balanced approach, i manually set up a small page file to avoid crashing but minimize its size to maximize ram usage overall.

5 hours ago, Papusan said:

Be aware you need an beefy cooling. One bin up for each 20C degrees you can go below... The new normal. God luck, brother with your new build. And remember... Don't go bananas with bling bling😎 All black, brother🙂

image.png.fb4b7f314d8d36103dd8b9ef7785fdd6.png

yep, absolutely aware of that, ive watched Roman's temp scaling vid and as usual quite nice findings. lets see what i can do via undervolting and push/pull with Noctua IPPCs 😛 

haha as for illumination i think itll be too much for your taste 😄 the overall theme will be quite black but im gonna have some RGB here and there for some bling, although ill not go overboard 😉 

PSU just arrived! time to update the OP 😁

Edit: OP updated with PSU info 🙂 Rest to follow bit by bit whenever I have some time here and there.

Btw, hilarious how equally divided the poll seems to be so far. This is wonderful to see, because it means we finally have ACTUAL competition going on in both the CPU and GPU space, w00t w00t! NBT freaks rejoice! 😄 

This makes me want to go back to desktops more than I would wish :classic_laugh: Not that I don't like desktops, but I just can't go without a laptop right now and having both is a bit of an overkill for me. I'm sooo looking forward to the final build and benchmarks. 

• Bump 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

36 minutes ago, serpro69 said:

This makes me want to go back to desktops more than I would wish :classic_laugh: Not that I don't like desktops, but I just can't go without a laptop right now and having both is a bit of an overkill for me. I'm sooo looking forward to the final build and benchmarks. 

i totally feel you bud. i was in exactly the same situation these past 15 years, constantly moving around on an intercontinental basis so i couldnt NOT go laptop. but now is the time to build a BEAST again, the near and midterm future will be quite stable location wise, so here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 🤘

and you and me both @looking forward to final build and benchmarks 🤪

got an update on my mobo order: apparently my order cannot be processed further due to the mobo not being in stock... wtf? i specifically ordered with that shop yesterday during that time since they listed the mobo as in stock! i sent them a message to clarify on this and also again detailed the exact timing of my order. i dont want any other rando's getting that mobo before me even though they ordered AFTER i did 😛 

• Bump 1
  • Sad 1

congrats on your new rig...well soon to be Im also considering a desktop. and dayum that monitor. I have a 4k sony tv as my make shift monitor im happy with it but 240hz.....thats the rub

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

Oh yeah, that monitor is sick. And congrats on getting a completely fault-free one as well. For this price it's a steal.

It looks nice also btw. You need to find a matching case for it :classic_rolleyes:

• Thumb Up 1

GitHub

Currently and formerly owned laptops (specs below):

Serenity                    -> Dell Precision 5560
N-1                             -> Dell Precision 5560 (my lady's)

Razor Crest              -> Lenovo ThinkPad P16 (work)
Millenium Falcon    -> Dell Precision 5530 (work)
Axiom                        -> Lenovo ThinkPad P52 (work)
Moldy Crow             -> Dell XPS 15 9550

Spoiler

Senenity / N-1: Dell Precision 5560
    i7-11800H CPU
    1x32 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA T1200
    FHD+ 1920x1200
    PopOS 22.04

Millenium Falcon: Dell Precision 5530
    i9-8950HK CPU
    2x16 GB DDR4 2,666 MHz
    1 TB SSD
    NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    UHD 3840x2160
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Windows 10 LTSC

55 minutes ago, serpro69 said:

Oh yeah, that monitor is sick. And congrats on getting a completely fault-free one as well. For this price it's a steal.

It looks nice also btw. You need to find a matching case for it :classic_rolleyes:

thanks man, i actually feel very lucky indeed. the only fault with this one was that the USB-B cable was missing in order to connect the monitor's internal USB hub to the computer. but that can just be bought later for a few bucks, not even sure im gonna use the hub anyways.

ha, the case will likely not match the display since it will not be white 😄 but thats ok, black matches everything as we all know 😉 

• Thumb Up 2

Updated OP with details on RAM! Now time for bed *yawns*

• Thumb Up 1

Very nice rig. If I were to build one anytime soon I am going to wait for Intel's Sapphire Rapids HEDT system. I already built my X299 10980XE + RTX3090Ti system in 2020 so I will probably wait awhile myself. 

7950X is the way to go. I am glad you are waiting for 4090. No point buying 3000 series if you are building a monster desktop 😄

• Like 1

Alienware m18             : Intel Core i9 13900HX                  | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090    | K1675 | 2x1TB SSDs 

Alienware Area-51M : Intel Core i9-9900K @ 5.3Ghz    | nVidia GeForce RTX 2080    | AX210 | Samsung 970 Evo+ 
Alienware M18x R2 :    Intel Core i7 3920XM @ 4.7Ghz | nVidia Quadro RTX 3000     | AX210 | Samsung 980 PRO   
Clevo X170SM-G:         Intel Core i7 10700K @ Stock     | nVidia GeForce RTX 2070S | AX210 | 256GB+2x512GB 

More Laps: M14x (555m) | M14xR2 (650m) | M15x (980m) | M17xR3 (880m) | M18xR1 (880m SLI) | 18 R1 (RTX 3000)

DT: Aurora R4 (i9 10980XE/RTX 4070) | Area-51 R2 (22-Core Xeon/2x Titan V) | SR-2 [2x6-Core/3x980Ti] | Mac Studio

CS Studios YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CSStudiosYT 

7 hours ago, ssj92 said:

Very nice rig. If I were to build one anytime soon I am going to wait for Intel's Sapphire Rapids HEDT system. I already built my X299 10980XE + RTX3090Ti system in 2020 so I will probably wait awhile myself. 

7950X is the way to go. I am glad you are waiting for 4090. No point buying 3000 series if you are building a monster desktop 😄

makes sense man, i wont be building a new rig two years from now either, so no need to call it quits on a 2020 rig yet.

oh totally on the 4090, the 3000 series is a cursed generation from my point of view, completely messed up due to pandemic demands. if i werent in such a tight spot regarding timing, id actually wait for RDNA3 and give Nvidia the middle finger out of spite for their atrocious practices. but, it is as it is!

in the meantime, got an update from the shop i ordered the mobo from: seems like the distributors had to push back their delivery dates, which kinda sucks. but at least theres no other rando in front of me and it looks like every other shop is affected by this, as well. literally nothing in stock anywhere for the Asus X670E Extreme.

so far that is "kind of" acceptable, since ill have to wait for the case until 07-Oct anyways for it to get back in stock. so its not all lost yet 😛 

edit: btw i just noticed i totally DERPED on the poll and forgot to include Raptor Lake + RDNA3 as an option! u guys think this might actually be a viable option for peeps? or would it be more like "if you go Intel then u dont do AMD GPUs"?

Looking good @jaybee83 You almost have everyting. Sry to hijack the thread a little. But is there a better WHITE AM5 Mb aroud? Or is the Asus Strix X670E-A Gaming wifi the best one in White. Need to be white cus i want an all white build 😆

LE: White with RBG of course for more FPS 🤣

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

28 minutes ago, cylix said:

Looking good @jaybee83 You almost have everyting. Sry to hijack the thread a little. But is there a better WHITE AM5 Mb aroud? Or is the Asus Strix X670E-A Gaming wifi the best one in White. Need to be white cus i want an all white build 😆

LE: White with RBG of course for more FPS 🤣

hmmm....you might want to have a look at the Asrock X670E Taichi Carrara, it sports this kind of marble-ish white pattern. Hardware wise it does seem to be better than the Asus Strix Gaming Wifi with stronger VRMs, USB4 support, internal power and reset buttons and more PCIe 5.0 slots.

BUT... i kinda have a bad taste in my mouth recommending an Asrock board here 😅 this is not based on personal experience but just going by their childish behaviour as in blacklisting GN and HUB for criticizing their crappy mobos or cheating / cheaping out on those same crappy mobos (i.e. listing support for the 12900K but gimping it to max. 65/105W hardlocked in bios). admittedly, this was all for their lower range mobo stuff, but still... just that u know!

aside from that, the Asus Gaming Wifi seems to be the highest end AM5 board in white so far (at least thats available for sale in europe)

86398_02_asrock-intros-x670e-taichi-carr

Ah yes the Asrock , but i am like you. I kinda dont trust them 🤣 Also think the customer support is not that good as Asus One. I need to see some good reviews about that asrock

LE. Techpowerup did a review of the asrock.. Looks like the latest bios. 1.07 still has a lot of missing features and bugs..

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Everything is looking quite righteous brother!

Are you contemplating an AMD 7900x or are you firmly with Nvidia?

• Bump 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

4 hours ago, cylix said:

Ah yes the Asrock , but i am like you. I kinda dont trust them 🤣 Also think the customer support is not that good as Asus One. I need to see some good reviews about that asrock

LE. Techpowerup did a review of the asrock.. Looks like the latest bios. 1.07 still has a lot of missing features and bugs..

unfortunately not much to go by yet, im guessing these kinda bugs are being ironed out on all mobos. i guess thats the price u pay for being on the bleeding edge 😉 keep us updated on ur purchasing decision bud!

2 hours ago, electrosoft said:

Everything is looking quite righteous brother!

Are you contemplating an AMD 7900x or are you firmly with Nvidia?

righteous indeed 😄 

aw man in a perfect world id just wait another month and see what RDNA brings to the table. id love to give them my gpu money just to smite Nvidia, those egomaniac bastards! but since im pressed for (gaming/mancave/free) time, im just grabbing whatever comes first, and thats the 4090, so team green it is...

nevertheless, trust me if i say ill cheer AMD on if their 7900XT manages to kick the 4090's butt, I'd totally be happy for them to finally teach Ngreedia a lesson in humility 🙂 

• Bump 1

Updated OP with details on the Keyboard 🙂 

I heard RGB makes computers run faster if so how is this possible....I have a RGB light bulb or two and a RGB keyboard!! is it possible to get a RGB toaster or fridge as they might cool things better or heat things up faster?

also @jaybee83I want what your getting if your feeling generous lol..no but seriously you picked the perfect time to buy. 

• Bump 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

10 hours ago, ryan said:

I heard RGB makes computers run faster if so how is this possible....I have a RGB light bulb or two and a RGB keyboard!! is it possible to get a RGB toaster or fridge as they might cool things better or heat things up faster?

also @jaybee83I want what your getting if your feeling generous lol..no but seriously you picked the perfect time to buy. 

haha thanks man, appreciate the kind words! if i had the money id get one of these systems each for the top 20 NBT members 🤪 that would be awesome hahaha!

and yes, im noticing that @perfect time to buy. pandemic pricing is JUST over, new gens JUST launched, new DDR5, new AMD platform with longterm support, new CPUs, new GPUs, perfect! as they say in business: you should always behave anti-cyclic, i.e. do what the majority does not do. the majority bought like crazy during the pandemic, and now nobody is buying, so here i am 😁🤠

btw, update on the mobo: i found a different shop in the meantime that has it IN STOCK / READY TO SHIP ASAP aaaaaaand its even 110€ cheaper mwahaha! plus they also offer the Asus cashback promotion, so triple win! will update OP to reflect that 😎🤘

• Thumb Up 2