NotebookTalk

HP Elitebook 8570W - is it still good ? Hardware modifications

Mashcar

It’s probably me, but I can’t find the zip file with the vBIOSes. 

I don’t know the reason behind the lack of fan control but I’m relying on custom made external solution and it works great. 

8740w - DreamColor 2 | 920XM | GTX 1070 | 32GB | MX200 mSATA 500GB + 7K1000 | 6300AGN | W7U64 | 350W | MX Master 2s | K800 | ZR30w | Z-5500 | G29 + shifter
8740w - testbed

Hey,

I meant this fan, please check picture, numer 2. Does it spin like that without body? (I dont know how to describe it)

Also where did you get gpu heatsink 1 in the picture.

I was thinking about to put ODD BAY SLI GPU from Lenovo y510p because it fits perfectly in DVD bay, just do some work with extra heatpipes

IMG_20230908_111853.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 8:59 AM, triturbo said:

It’s probably me, but I can’t find the zip file with the vBIOSes. 

I don’t know the reason behind the lack of fan control but I’m relying on custom made external solution and it works great. 

Here you go. All bioses from Dell folder works.

No fan control could be just not compatible data exchange between KBC and GPU because of vBIOS not completely compatible with 8570w.  I would need zbook g5 for being 100% sure 😄 or another card.
When I put original K2000M card in laptop, it starts in 1 second from black to HP bios logo. With P5200 it's few seconds more before POST...
GTX980 didn't had fan control problems at all, don't remember if startup time was same.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:24 AM, frelu said:

Hey,

I meant this fan, please check picture, numer 2. Does it spin like that without body? (I dont know how to describe it)

Also where did you get gpu heatsink 1 in the picture.

I was thinking about to put ODD BAY SLI GPU from Lenovo y510p because it fits perfectly in DVD bay, just do some work with extra heatpipes

You need to get GPU heatsink from 8770w and you will get fan I used. You just need to saw a little bit of metal.
image.thumb.png.26bfff2ab8eb927f58182bd04e740d71.png

For fan you carefully cut 4 plastic
parts image.png.8b651d297aed811afa0ef245f6ca5b3e.pngand use some good 3M double sided tape or cyanoacrylate glue for center circle part, carefuly center it so it doesn't hit body with blades and connect 5V from ODD port, GND and tacho pin from original fan to PWM so it spins as fast as original one. Second fan adds some noise to work, but it decrease temp efficiently for GPU side. I not sure about Lenovo GPU ODD, because GPU board takes a bit of space outside motherboard.

• Like 1

Good news everyone !
I have recording material ready, I even did editing.. but sony vegas trial version allows for 2 minutes of .mp4 only....  and I have 24 minutes of benchmarks and games..

Can anyone recomend free video editing program with GPU acceleration ?
Openshot takes 20 hours to decode 23 minutes of 1080p material... and uses GPU acceleration in linux only..

The free version of Lightworks outputs 720p only, so I'm not sure whether or not you are going to like it. And then, there's this:

First off, LightWorks has remarkably efficient engine, and it’s largely CPU based rather than GPU based. It does use the GPU for effects, via pixel shaders, much like a game engine does.

In any case looking forward to your video.

• Thumb Up 2

8740w - DreamColor 2 | 920XM | GTX 1070 | 32GB | MX200 mSATA 500GB + 7K1000 | 6300AGN | W7U64 | 350W | MX Master 2s | K800 | ZR30w | Z-5500 | G29 + shifter
8740w - testbed

On 9/5/2023 at 7:48 AM, Mashcar said:

I took Zbook G2 fingerprint reader and retrofitted it into my system - now I can log in win 10/11 with one touch 😄 Reason for this is 8570's fingerprint reader driver is too old and it doesn't work in windows newer than Win7.
Ordered some 5v amp board and usb audio dac for some experimentation - since I don't use secure card reader, I can use it's usb data+ and data- along with 5V line to have better built-in audio. I wonder, if internal speakers can sound better with that. My phone have tiny stereo speakers, that are louder and better quality vs those in notebook..
I had bought second keyboard for emergency, I used rivets in other one to finally have all 3 screw holes used. Now it sits firmly finally, like finished product would!

Hey bro, could you please tell me how you retrofitted the ZBook G2 fingerprint reader into the 8570w?

8 hours ago, Will said:

Hey bro, could you please tell me how you retrofitted the ZBook G2 fingerprint reader into the 8570w?

I will try to send photos later, basically you need both original 8570w fingerprint reader and zbook. You have to desolder flex cable from both and solder original flex cable to zbook reader. There is a little glue holding said flex, but it comes off easily with little heat. Pinout is same for both readers, mind flex orientation.
After soldering I recommend using a little glue pistol to secure connections. Lastly, download fingerprint drivers from zbook G2 page and voila, Windows Hello works perfectly 😄 

• Thumb Up 2

18 hours ago, Mashcar said:

I will try to send photos later, basically you need both original 8570w fingerprint reader and zbook. You have to desolder flex cable from both and solder original flex cable to zbook reader. There is a little glue holding said flex, but it comes off easily with little heat. Pinout is same for both readers, mind flex orientation.
After soldering I recommend using a little glue pistol to secure connections. Lastly, download fingerprint drivers from zbook G2 page and voila, Windows Hello works perfectly 😄 

Thanks. I appreciate if you can send some photos later

Here is Zbook palmrest

Spoiler

zbookreader.png.f65995434f23d367f09e48367ea2125d.png

Cable is totally different in means of lenght and shape from 8570w

Spoiler

1664493166_8570wczytnik.thumb.png.31cc3225bbd22339a80464c7dd1331c4.png

All we need to do is take out reader board from Zbook, solder flex cable from 8570w and it just works 😄
You need to be careful when desoldering flex, because of that glue here

Spoiler

image.png.bec20d83cbf51030d4cc92766e8ae437.png

After soldering check with multimeter if there arent shorts between pins and you're good to go.

About my laptop, my original keyboard died week ago because it had damaged from too high humidity before, traces were gradually corroding and few keys stoped working. I had to remake previous riveting job - at least I have photos this time 🙂
385439639_1014257569873058_1484564028795703790_n.thumb.jpg.1213fe9afaf2a9de59bd29508ee1e271.jpg385452979_1399708813909127_1649044857803276031_n.thumb.jpg.979467e0e661676d3c7ea3f25119735c.jpg

I had also spotted Quadro RTX 3000 mxm on selling platform, but I think it's too weak compared to 5000, which I would want to retrofit. Soo, we wait more

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Mashcar said:

Here is Zbook palmrest

Reveal hidden contents

zbookreader.png.f65995434f23d367f09e48367ea2125d.png

Cable is totally different in means of lenght and shape from 8570w

Reveal hidden contents

1664493166_8570wczytnik.thumb.png.31cc3225bbd22339a80464c7dd1331c4.png

All we need to do is take out reader board from Zbook, solder flex cable from 8570w and it just works 😄
You need to be careful when desoldering flex, because of that glue here

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.bec20d83cbf51030d4cc92766e8ae437.png

After soldering check with multimeter if there arent shorts between pins and you're good to go.

About my laptop, my original keyboard died week ago because it had damaged from too high humidity before, traces were gradually corroding and few keys stoped working. I had to remake previous riveting job - at least I have photos this time 🙂
385439639_1014257569873058_1484564028795703790_n.thumb.jpg.1213fe9afaf2a9de59bd29508ee1e271.jpg385452979_1399708813909127_1649044857803276031_n.thumb.jpg.979467e0e661676d3c7ea3f25119735c.jpg

I had also spotted Quadro RTX 3000 mxm on selling platform, but I think it's too weak compared to 5000, which I would want to retrofit. Soo, we wait more

Hi again!
Glad to see that you published the video on YouTube and keep working on this project🙏
May I ask your opinion? There is an RTX 3000 MXM going on sale for cheap, and its TDP is around 80w (which is much lower than 1070/p5200 that I was wishing to get), which might suit my 8560w, hopefully, after installing the DC screen and the bigger heatsink from 8670w/8770W, of course)
Do you think it's a good idea to try and purchase it? Or just forget about all of it and get a 980m/m5000m(which is the maximum, as far as I know, that can output to the default non DC screen)
Thanks!

16 minutes ago, myroslav said:

Hi again!
Glad to see that you published the video on YouTube and keep working on this project🙏
May I ask your opinion? There is an RTX 3000 MXM going on sale for cheap, and its TDP is around 80w (which is much lower than 1070/p5200 that I was wishing to get), which might suit my 8560w, hopefully, after installing the DC screen and the bigger heatsink from 8670w/8770W, of course)
Do you think it's a good idea to try and purchase it? Or just forget about all of it and get a 980m/m5000m(which is the maximum, as far as I know, that can output to the default non DC screen)
Thanks!

If it is your first upgrade, I recommend getting RTX 3000. Why ? It's newest, it can work with RTX only tech like DLSS, it's still updated for few next years, it will use much less energy for same job than older cards. By upgrading from GTX980 to P5200 I had at least 1hour more on battery. Remember though, you will have to make heavy modification to heatsink. I think it is a bit offset from standard.
Also if it will work with sandy bridge gen, be sure to check it. 980 or m5000m should work for sure. Try to look for info in NBR archive,  ibmnb forum or hpfocus forum. Maybe techinferno, there should be info about it

There is third option, that is Zbook 15 G2. They're getting cheaper and you would not have to look for DC screen.
Good luck and I will look out for it : )

• 1 month later...

*In professor from Futurama voice* Good news everyone!

Sometimes to get futher you need to take step back - and I am taking one giant step back in this moment... I went back to Quadro K1000M and I will sell my Quadro P5200..
Why? Because I need some money to make upgrade up to Quadro RTX 5000 😄 Yes, in few weeks I am going to buy that card. And mod the hell out of cooling.
I will buy piece of copper, use CNC and make final version of cooling. Additionally I will need 8740W CPU heatpipes and biggest question is - what's better, to combine CPU and GPU heatpipes or make it separate.
Searching for some calculations or math formulas to answer it mathematicaly, my experience suggest separate thermal mass will behave better. Will see. And as always I will share my adventure to you all!

I hope you will get as much dopamine kick as I do right now😄

PS. I used photo from other users of this forum. Not so much comparison media or even photos of said mxm boards.

image.thumb.png.b530e1dddcc6e350d6704c0be460434e.png

• Thumb Up 2

Good luck with the RTX GPU, looking forward to it. 

I think that combined CPU and GPU pipes would do better ONLY if it’s taken into account the total power consumption and then some. Shared/combined heatsinks get bad reputation because most of the times they are calculated for less than that. 
In your case you can distribute the heat from the CPU to the optical bay where you can put a big fan and a big radiator. Then again if you don’t plan on overclocking you might split them and the CPU could use the stock CPU and GPU radiators, while the GPU could take advantage of the entire optical bay. That’s my take on the cooling. 

8740w - testbed

Hi, i bought recently HP 8570W. I want to change graphics card so i found cheap nvidia P106M (GTX1060) which seems good option for my i7 3740qm, and for my needs. My laptop don't have dream color display. What i need to know? Will this work?  In terms of cooling if laptop would overheat from this additional 25W TDP i think removing dvd from the bay and adapting some heatpipe+radiator+fan for gpu and it will be fine .   Also i wanna ask, Mashcar, where are you from?

13 hours ago, PingwinVonJelen said:

Hi, i bought recently HP 8570W. I want to change graphics card so i found cheap nvidia P106M (GTX1060) which seems good option for my i7 3740qm, and for my needs. My laptop don't have dream color display. What i need to know? Will this work?  In terms of cooling if laptop would overheat from this additional 25W TDP i think removing dvd from the bay and adapting some heatpipe+radiator+fan for gpu and it will be fine .   Also i wanna ask, Mashcar, where are you from?

Hi @PingwinVonJelen, I tried that with my Zbook 15 G2 and it didn't work. I couldn't start the laptop. 

You might try if you have option to return it.

@Mashcar you also could dremel out the plastic fragment between DVD bay and HDD bay for extra space and even place a fan with two air output [like big brother 8770w. It has air output from left and behind]. But you could use only mSATA for storage.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:13 PM, PingwinVonJelen said:

You will need to have EDP display like DC screen for Pascal generation. As for heatsink, be sure to cover those FETs and VRAMs. They may get some damage if not cooled with heatsink. GPU core can atleast throttle itself in power to try cooling down. VRM can't.
And as for second question, I'm from Poland.

10 hours ago, frelu said:

@Mashcar you also could dremel out the plastic fragment between DVD bay and HDD bay for extra space and even place a fan with two air output [like big brother 8770w. It has air output from left and behind]. But you could use only mSATA for storage.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, triturbo said:

I think that combined CPU and GPU pipes would do better ONLY if it’s taken into account the total power consumption and then some. Shared/combined heatsinks get bad reputation because most of the times they are calculated for less than that. 
In your case you can distribute the heat from the CPU to the optical bay where you can put a big fan and a big radiator. Then again if you don’t plan on overclocking you might split them and the CPU could use the stock CPU and GPU radiators, while the GPU could take advantage of the entire optical bay. That’s my take on the cooling. 

Yeah! I totally forgot third option. Biggest issue is to find good quality heatpipes - unable to manufacture them myself. Shape is critical, OEM make them individually.

I have to draw them on paper to write pros and cons for each options.

For now I have to wait for someone to buy my "old' quadro to order rtx. Already on auction site 😄

EDIT: Oh, and most important thing - I'm not 100% sure if card will work with this system. Some users reported card working with third gen intel chipsets alienware laptops, but they have integrated GPU architecture. My 8570w works purely with dedicated GPU.
I know that RTX works for 100% with zbook 17 g3, I had re-read some forums. There were some questions about T1000 and 8570w, but no one answered or delivered message.
At least it's PCI Express 3.0 x16, so in theory..

You can find various length and diameter heatpipes on AliExpress. Then you’ll need pipe bending tool and then you’ll need to flatten them with a big metal pipe or something like that. Then there’s a low temperature solder paste to solder the whole thing. Good luck!

8740w - testbed

After spending few night contemplating about modification I know that core heatsink mount (X shape) will be without any work compatible, but there is much bigger problem. Card is wider near connector - meaning I have to change how touchpad and fingerprint sensor connects to board. Easiest would be to connect with wires, but I want it to be more elegant and disconnectable. First idea in mind is to bend them or use flat connector instead.
Still better though than 8770w situation - in bigger brother there is keyboard connector just next to MXM board...

On 12/5/2023 at 3:47 PM, triturbo said:

You can find various length and diameter heatpipes on AliExpress. Then you’ll need pipe bending tool and then you’ll need to flatten them with a big metal pipe or something like that. Then there’s a low temperature solder paste to solder the whole thing. Good luck!

Sometime ago thought about using those heatpipes, but they're inferior to HP original ones, in hp they're meshed inside, meaning better performance.
Those I had found in Ali were just copper filled unfortunately. They do work, ofc.
I have so much heatsink parts I can make three different versions and compare them to find best solution practicaly. Can use thermal cam. My observations with heatsink I have in use is that heatpipes now used are enough, bottleneck lays within material of heatsink - some kind of aluminium alloy, 3 times worse themal cap than pure copper.
Best of best options is to use vapor chamber for gpu and cpu piece - that piece I have heats up unevenly. Heatpipes are coldest compared to rest, so they work efficiently, exhaust is properly cooled, so it's also in perfect state now.
I need to order about 5mm thick copper plate and cnc route for heatpipes and screw. I think same idea were in Clevo or alienware, where one could buy fully copper heatsink instead of aluminium (original).

RTX 5000 from zbook g6 will have between 70-80W of power, so it's 30-40W less than P5200 ^_^ So it may be overkill, but I would love to have both CPU and GPU 60C degrees in maximum usage scenario. Full copper may also render additional fan useless, meaning less dB. Better codecs, more battery life. With P5200 I had almost no use on both processors when watched 4k video on YT, thanks to VP9 codecs.

I do not worry for making it boot and work since I know that card works in M6700 and 6800, iMac 2nd gen CPU from 2011 and others. There is chance it won't work, maybe 1% I think.. nobody tried it with HP, excluding zbook g2 and g3 - but that's different build architecture.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:32 PM, Mashcar said:

Sometime ago thought about using those heatpipes, but they're inferior to HP original ones, in hp they're meshed inside, meaning better performance.

Those I had found in Ali were just copper filled unfortunately. They do work, ofc.

There are 3 types of wick inside the pipes - grooved, meshed and sintered. The third one works best (works upside-down as well) and you can find such on the market, but you have to go through a lot of listings to find them.

Best of best options is to use vapor chamber for gpu and cpu piece

Have you found suitable ones? Long time ago the only available were 50x50x3mm - not really suitable as they are pretty thick and it will be difficult to mount them as there were no screw holes.

RTX 5000 from zbook g6 will have between 70-80W of power

I thought that it's more like 100W and that depends on the vBIOS and like the Pxxxx series they lack vBIOS chip. Have you sourced the vBIOS and the chip?

8740w - testbed

On 12/10/2023 at 8:53 PM, triturbo said:

There are 3 types of wick inside the pipes - grooved, meshed and sintered. The third one works best (works upside-down as well) and you can find such on the market, but you have to go through a lot of listings to find them.

Have you found suitable ones? Long time ago the only available were 50x50x3mm - not really suitable as they are pretty thick and it will be difficult to mount them as there were no screw holes.

I thought that it's more like 100W and that depends on the vBIOS and like the Pxxxx series they lack vBIOS chip. Have you sourced the vBIOS and the chip?

Turing gen cards all have vBIOS chip on board already, no need to program and solder. And because of that decision in designing, my laptop will properly drive fan without third party app - because all vbios will be on card only, unlike previous generation.
I had found about 13 vBIOS for 5000 version on techpowerup

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=Uploads&manufacturer=&model=Quadro+RTX+5000&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Boards from HP zbook, judging by clock boosts, is between 80-85w max.
Thanks, I will try to check out listings. From autopsy, in zbooks and elitebook from 2012-13 era they used meshed heatpipes.

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, PingwinVonJelen said:

i think it could work well, 965m has 50W TDP, like the original quadro cards.

Maybe. But my laptop has a LVDS display. I found information that there is a problem with working of the 965m card with this type of display. And many other cards work better with the DreamColor display. Maybe there is a person who has used this card with a lvds display?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 7:42 PM, P145 said:

Maybe. But my laptop has a LVDS display. I found information that there is a problem with working of the 965m card with this type of display. And many other cards work better with the DreamColor display. Maybe there is a person who has used this card with a lvds display?

As far as i know nvidia 9xx should work with lvds, i have here quadro m5000m (gtx980m equivalent) and it works well

• Thumb Up 1