NotebookTalk

HP Elitebook 8570W - is it still good ? Hardware modifications

Mashcar

2 hours ago, PingwinVonJelen said:

As far as i know nvidia 9xx should work with lvds, i have here quadro m5000m (gtx980m equivalent) and it works well

True, GTX980 worked with both LVDS (much better compability) and DC (worse compability).
With DC screen it worked only in pure UEFI, no fastboot, up to some version of drivers only - 371? or 391 ? I don't remember.
So 965m should work too, same family or GPUs.

Btw,RTX 4000 showed up on auction sites, even some 3000 "normal 3.0b mxm" version... But I have to be a little more patient, 5000 is much more efficient and better designed (E.g core size and more bios versions). I think new *adventure* should begin in 1-2 months 😄 In next week I'll try to retrofit hifi creative soundcard to bypass internal DAC and AMP. I wonder if internal speakers will work better.

In meantime I restored old IBM (shoving SSD in 28 year old laptop or trying to make retro lap dock for Dex - can't beat that) with cool lifting keyboard mechanism - look up ibm 760 how it opens. That kind of mechanism makes whole heatsink work up to 50% more efficient (E.g. a lot more cold air for fan) - tested by 1h long experiments with palmrest on/off, one fan / two fans, different thermal material etc. I will see if it would be possible to adapt 8570w to such things

Amazing post! I saw that you commented on my post about modding the Zbook 15 to fit a quadro p3000, did you discarded the idea of using the Zbook 15 motherboard?

From my experience the main issue with the zbook is the heatsink, the cpu simply gets too hot to handle these big gpus. I'm also not too convinced on undervolting haswell chips, my 4810mq barely does -50mv on the core and -40mv on cache, anything more than that it will randomly crash. Under a gaming load it can do 35w sustained, which is decent but not enough to fully push the p3000.

17 hours ago, Zeht said:

Amazing post! I saw that you commented on my post about modding the Zbook 15 to fit a quadro p3000, did you discarded the idea of using the Zbook 15 motherboard?

From my experience the main issue with the zbook is the heatsink, the cpu simply gets too hot to handle these big gpus. I'm also not too convinced on undervolting haswell chips, my 4810mq barely does -50mv on the core and -40mv on cache, anything more than that it will randomly crash. Under a gaming load it can do 35w sustained, which is decent but not enough to fully push the p3000.

Hi! And thank you for your information! I have abaddoned that idea, too many cons.

I think issue with UV is silicon lottery. Best chip I ever seen was my P5200 - between 0,1 and 0,2 ohms on core. Though its damaged..  works perfectly.

Maybe highest quality chip from waffer may offer better UV value - equivalent to 3940XM for 4th gen.

3740qm took more wH from battery than XM. That's my theory, im not proffesional by any case so I may ne mistaken 😄

And.. the news !

New GPU in testing phase, 8570w is also in preps for transplantation. Behold..! In next few days operation begins !

20240212_192214_1.jpg

Checked for clamp align, core align, PCB dimensions. Will have to check if it will work in 8570W then we move onto designing most efficient cooling

PS. Already tested Zbook 17 G6, even after repasting it's not great.. hitting very quickly performance and cooling rooftop.

421261364_403444295696022_7718548823446161663_n.jpg

427683166_1161192858378148_8133590624579971152_n.jpg

421389511_7165689183507618_823211399673793371_n.jpg

EDIT: Bootup test both laptops:

IT 'S ALIVE

But error 43 😞 VBios Flash may be needed. Or use different settings in nvflash

Too tired to write or think more, see pics

20240217_214814.jpg

Edit:

Well, everything works as intended now, I have flashed different vbios and used different files and method in NVClean. With correct drivers everything shows correctly in GPU Z. No Optimus needed, 8570w don't have IntelHD. For now there are few steps to be done:

1. Make 3D model of heatsink, order it in full copper

2. Glue GPU board support for two screws

3. Solder very flat connectors for touchpad and fingerprint reader

4. And most important, relax, sit on chair together with my cat and.. just use laptop and play 😄

Mission accomplished.

After I saw success on screen, I was relieved I won't have to use newer notebooks for little longer. Too much budget cuts (except final price), no attention to details and shorter lifespan, even in workstation teritory ..

I would love to have chance making computer from ground up, like people from Framework.

In meantime, few little problems need to be solved, like making ax210 work with BT / or making better antenna for original Broadcom; installing nvme drive in EC Expansion slot with adapter; fitting external amplifer in place of internal one (sound from internal DAC is very good, of course USB DAC is better, but most people wont hear difference); change second fan for more silent one (from zbook 17g2).

Edited by Mashcar
  • Thanks 1

Another kindred hackmodder refugee from NBR (RIP)! I am thrilled to have stumbled over this magnificent heir to NBR, and my first post must be to you and your outstanding project, which received my full attention. Simply excellent, sir. I salute you and will eagerly follow your progress.

Note to ya'll, especially moderator: I just discovered this forum, by accident, deep-diving the tech interwebs daily for two months; using Booleans, excluders, and well defined chip-level identifiers related to my modifications of a legacy ruggedized FrankenDell. The only explanation for this is that Notebooktalk is clearly being obscured and downrated by SEO —search engine optimization— keeping it concealed from the most intensive, precise topic searches. 

When somebody tells you that something cannot be done, listen to them. Then, do it anyway.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:25 AM, RRPD4130 said:

Another kindred hackmodder refugee from NBR (RIP)! I am thrilled to have stumbled over this magnificent heir to NBR, and my first post must be to you and your outstanding project, which received my full attention. Simply excellent, sir. I salute you and will eagerly follow your progress.

Hello! And thank you for kind words!

Today I made rough beta version, welded together heatsink so I could at least do little benchmarking. It is obvious GPU heatsink is not good enough, rest of laptop is working okay. Zbook G6 plate is much worse than 8770w, less copper, overall thermal mass.

There is a much more performance to get, I also need to see why RAM clock is at half of full speed (6000mhz).

Now I will try to make CAD file for heatsink so I can order customized plate for GPU and CPU, use fresh heatpipes and apply Honeywell PTM and go back to testing.

Biggest problem is can't afford to find spare mxm card so I can make perfect heatsink. I have spare 8570w modified just for making perfectly working heatsink, but m3000m core and X clamp are offset, unfortunately : (

bench.jpg

gpu2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have solved next problem: I have ordered Quadro T1000 for very cheap, now my template is complete. Heatsink will be perfectly aligned as from factory ^_^
Biggest challenge to yet be solved - making CAD file for jlcpcb manufacturer.

Meantime, I've done a little bit benchmarks, in particular Timespy - GPU suffered heavy thermal throttle, so nothing to be proud and to show.
There is still a lot performance to be gained.

In meantime I figured out why AX200 Bluetooth don't work - no USB lanes attached to mPCIE. Fun fact, it would in older 8x60W - there are even 0ohm resistors near dvd sata port for Data+ and Data-. I will show how to do it later!

obraz.thumb.png.ad28aea46840a35e9a47330928e16f16.png

• Thumb Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

This time I go more *pr0* (less n00b way) - I measure which heatpipes and heatsink usage idea is the best!

I need to know exact heatpipe dimensions I will use in my 3D model

After few test Im totally shocked, common sense was worst way to work on this like I did before 😮 

I also ordered other tools, so I can determine best fan for job.. 😁 I wonder if I had choosen best one..

20240319_211153.jpg

• 1 month later...

I will buy next 8570w for test purpose! I want to make 8560/8570w easier to mod for everyone! My plan is to make detailed instruction how to customize LCD cable for EDP screens. On board is 50 pin connector, both LVDS and eDP. It is possible to connect up to 4K screen in our machines 🙂 No need to look for expensive and rare DC assembly.
I will test it myself if theory is right.

I'm also slowly progressing as I'm having not much free time on hands, but definitely getting there.
image.thumb.png.f7bb98da9baa28784474ba2cfcaa0a5c.png

Progress ! (tell me "yes", please ^ _^)

Aaaaand I have found another problem - I can't pinpoint exactly why RTX don't want to show on Displayport.
First thing in head is to change daughterboard (there is IC for DP control in schematics) to other or try other cable. Didn't tried yet, and I have only DP to HDMI (worked with P5200) and DVI to HDMI cables.. maybe bad NVClean driver setup (bad inf) or something..
If only there were some schematics for zbook g6 that would be solved quickly..

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 10:42 AM, Mashcar said:

I will buy next 8570w for test purpose! I want to make 8560/8570w easier to mod for everyone! My plan is to make detailed instruction how to customize LCD cable for EDP screens. On board is 50 pin connector, both LVDS and eDP. It is possible to connect up to 4K screen in our machines 🙂 No need to look for expensive and rare DC assembly.
I will test it myself if theory is right.

Do you think that would also be valid/possible for 8760w/8770w? I mean this customized LCD cable for EDP screens

On 4/22/2024 at 8:50 PM, Will said:

Do you think that would also be valid/possible for 8760w/8770w? I mean this customized LCD cable for EDP screens

Sure, 15 and 17 inch are like 99,5% same, biggest difference is in placement of components and PCB mask color.
Only minor differences

Well, I solved problem with external graphics, just use 90.04.97.00.B5 MSI vBIOS and it will work. It's literally same amount of DP outputs, thermal management, etc.
I think Dell's would also work, but none is on internet (from precision 7540/7740).

I start to wonder why HP hardware don't go along with HP software haha 😄