NotebookTalk

*Official Benchmark Thread* - Post it here or it didn't happen :D

Mr. Fox

On 12/31/2023 at 12:02 AM, Mr. Fox said:

This second G.SKILL 8000 kit seems every bit as good as the first one in the other Apex. It worked great in the Z690 Dark as well. It is a shame so many of the DDR5 kits being sold are garbage.

Interesting. Binning memory ICs.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

Very good video.

Spoiler: skip 13900KS, save money and buy 14900K instead; do not buy any KF CPU; and avoid AMD X3D CPUs.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

Mr. Fox YouTube Channel | Mr. Fox @ HWBOT

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

12 hours ago, Papusan said:

The whole world is filled with STUPIDITY

China (at least their barbaric government) is worse than most imagine. It is extremely stupid that the US and its allies conduct any kind of business with them. What we should be doing is making their mere survival extremely difficult. They wouldn't have the time, capacity, technology or financial resources to be committing acts of war with spy balloons if we were doing things right. They'd be completely cut off from the outside world, entrenched in massive civil war with citizens fed up with how they have been mistreated, and focused only on how to get through tomorrow without another epic catastrophe.

Finally... someone with clout is willing to call it for what it is. 12VHPWR is trash. He is saying exactly what I have said dozens of times. Sheesh. And, good technical info. Three legacy 8-pin power connectors would provide more than adequate power delivery, with room to spare. It was more than enough for feeding 1000W to the 3090 K|NGP|N. Very damning for the stupid idiots responsible for deploying it. The solution is to move back to 3x 8-pin or dual 12VHPWR like the Galax HOF 4090. Anything less is at risk of failure.

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wraith // Z790 Apex | 14900KF | 4090 Suprim X+Byksi Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | Toughpower GF3 1650W | MO-RA3 360 | Hailea HC-500A || O11D XL EVO

Banshee // Z790 Apex Encore | 13900KS | 4090 Gaming OC+Alphacool Block | 48GB DDR5-8600 | RM1200x SHIFT | XT45 1080 Nova || Antec C8

Spectre // Z790i Edge | 14900KF | 3090 Ti FTW3 | 48GB DDR5-8200 | RM1000e | EK Nucleus CR360 Direct Die || Prime A21

Methuselah // X79 Rampage IV Gene | Xeon E5 1680V2 | 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR3-2400 | GameMax 850W | EK Nucleus CR360 Dark || Prime AP201

Half-Breed // Dell Precision 7720 | BGA CPU Filth+MXM Quadro P5000 | 4K Display | Sub-$500 Grade A Refurb | Nothing to Write Home About

The average response time for a 911 call is 10 minutes. The response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

ally... someone with clout is willing to call it for what it is. 12VHPWR is trash. He is saying exactly what I have said dozens of times. Sheesh. And, good technical info. Three legacy 8-pin power connectors would provide more than adequate power delivery, with room to spare. It was more than enough for feeding 1000W to the 3090 K|NGP|N. Very damning for the stupid idiots responsible for deploying it. The solution is to move back to 3x 8-pin or dual 12VHPWR like the Galax HOF 4090. Anything less is at risk of failure.

Main problem... Cheapo PSUs that only offer 150W from their 8-pin power connectors. They use cheapo parts and cables with wire gauge at 18 or even 20. Hence Nvidia offered the 4x8pin to 12VHPWR power connector to be sure even trash PSUs could be used with their flagship cards. Nvidia would never ever designed new cards with 4x 8pin power connectors. Only Galax made it correct with the 4090 HOF. But rest of their 4090 SKUs only got same single 12+4 pin connector.

Nvidia could also re-design the power delivery so the card could use more power from the PCIe slot. 4090s don't make much use of the power from that slot. Nvidia prefer to let the cards have all power from the slimy thin new modern 4+12 mini connector. 

Add more failure points to already weak design and you have the complete disaster. This will hunt Cablemod years forwards. A real damage to the brand. Thanks to nvidia want slimmer PCBs for the whole range of graphics cards. And one connector fits all is cheaper than use up to 4x 8pin connectors/terminals.

u/GladGeologist4311 - 17 minutes ago

Once people have bought adapers they won't check if they are safe to use...

Edit. What I'm afraid of.... Nvidia will be more restrictive with max TGP with next gen cards. This way they can offer higher safety margins for the 12+4 pin power connector/cables. Because they know people often go very cheapo on other hardware. Can also add in.... The next gen cards will probably be deigned smaller so people with mini-boxes can use the big boy cards. We see this already now with the release of the slim version cards.

And the slimy Apple trend continue. And the quality follow same paths... 3 out of 5 stars is all too much. But sadly it will still sell as hot chocolate in a cold day if it fits into your filthy tiny trash box. Trash will make place for more trash if you understand what I mean.... "Garbage breed life into more garbage".

Newer drive technology and the proliferation of devices that take smaller SSDs means that we will see more options in the future.
  • Thumb Up 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Happy new year everyone! I hope you all have an awesome fun filled day!

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

AlienyHackbook: Alienware M17X R5 | i7-4930MX | GTX 1060 | 32GB DDR3L Kingston HyperX @ 2133 MHz CL 12 | MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 LTSC | Hackintoshes Rule!

Desktop Killer: Clevo X170SM-G | i9-10900K | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @ 3200 MHz CL 16 | Windows 10 LTSC | Slayer Of Desktops

Sagattarius A: Custom Built Desktop | i9-10900K | RX 6950 XT | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws @ 4000 MHz CL 15 | Windows 10 LTSC | Ultimate Performance Desktop With Cryo Cooling!

On 12/31/2023 at 2:09 AM, Clamibot said:

My real life usage experience so far is that the Optane SSD has done the following for me over a standard SSD:

• Much faster hibernation
  • Much faster wake from hibernation
  • Much faster loading times in open world games (Borderlands 3 loads 3X faster off the Optane 905P vs my Samsung 970 Evo Plus)
  • Faster copying of large batches of small files
  • Faster load times for Unity projects
  • Faster webpage loading times
  • Faster code compilation
  • Faster game builds
  • Slightly faster boot times
  • Slightly more responsive OS

Optane SSDs greatly benefit games that do a lot of asset streaming because of the mad fast random read speeds. Now that's not the reason I got it, but I might as well put some games on my Optane SSD since I use my computers for both work and play. My workflow has also had some of it's bottlenecks alleviated so I can now spend more time programming rather than waiting. I do use 2 computers while working, but that incurs it's own latency penalty when I need to sync the code I wrote between both computers I use.

In short, Optane is definitely worth it for a work computer or if you play a lot of open world games. I strongly recommend an Optane SSD to anyone who does software development like me, works with databases, or mainly plays open world games.

I never want to go back to a standard SSD for work. It looks like it will be quite a long while before Optane SSDs will be beat in random reads, and these things are built to last! They can last a lifetime!

I was aboard the Optane hype train years ago when I was a tester for Intel. Unfortunately, when Intel tried to sell these products to the consumer market, Optane was nowhere cost effective. Then they tried to sell the idea of a "hybrid" system, using small optane drives as caching for HDD or even SATA SSDs. That didn't work as the mainstream tech media couldn't wrap their heads around the idea (even though it was always a thing in Enterprise) and they lambasted Intel for it. 

While it isn't Optane - if you need a lot of storage for "cheap" I highly recommend the Intel enterprise SSDs like this one - https://serverpartdeals.com/products/intel-dc-p4510-ssdpe2kx080t851-0m6cnf-8tb-pcie-gen-3-1-x4-4gb-s-3d-tlc-1dwpd-u-2-nvme-2-5-solid-state-drive

Like Optane, they are highly rated for their endurance. 

Or if you want a Optane drive, the 905 960GB is on sale right now through Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/intel-optane-ssd-905p-series-960gb/p/N82E16820167463

Happy New Year everyone!

• Thumb Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Bump 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

59 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Pretty similar to my review of the drive. Until 2TB TLC 2230 drives come out, it is going to remain your only option if you want a lot of storage in a small package. While I wouldn't purchase the MP600 Core Mini for use in a laptop for work, it's not bad for gaming handhelds. 

• Thumb Up 1

Connecticut Citizens Defense League: Carry On!

44 minutes ago, Rage Set said:

I was aboard the Optane hype train years ago when I was a tester for Intel. Unfortunately, when Intel tried to sell these products to the consumer market, Optane was nowhere cost effective. Then they tried to sell the idea of a "hybrid" system, using small optane drives as caching for HDD or even SATA SSDs. That didn't work as the mainstream tech media couldn't wrap their heads around the idea (even though it was always a thing in Enterprise) and they lambasted Intel for it. 

While it isn't Optane - if you need a lot of storage for "cheap" I highly recommend the Intel enterprise SSDs like this one - https://serverpartdeals.com/products/intel-dc-p4510-ssdpe2kx080t851-0m6cnf-8tb-pcie-gen-3-1-x4-4gb-s-3d-tlc-1dwpd-u-2-nvme-2-5-solid-state-drive

Like Optane, they are highly rated for their endurance. 

Or if you want a Optane drive, the 905 960GB is on sale right now through Newegg - https://www.newegg.com/intel-optane-ssd-905p-series-960gb/p/N82E16820167463

Happy New Year everyone!

damn that newegg pricing is an absolute steal! altho id try to opt for a P5800X these days haha. i mean, if i go for a deadend product line, might as well go for the latest n greatest sku to get the most mileage out of it 😉 

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (TG High Perf. IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

On 12/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, Mr. Fox said:

For some reason AIDA64 does not "see" the memory temperature sensors on the Encore. They are missing in the list of sensors.

Problem fixed. Totally counter-intuitive based on the option, but having this box checked is why the Apex Encore could not see the memory temperature sensors. Tamas Miklos from Finalwire (AIDA64) emailed me to inform me that this was the fix, and it was. Interesting that I have to disable an option for ASUS motherboards, but it probably applied to older models.

image.png

1 hour ago, Papusan said:

Main problem... Cheapo PSUs that only offer 150W from their 8-pin power connectors. They use cheapo parts and cables with wire gauge at 18 or even 20.

Buying crappy power supplies is a common mistake "value sensitive" gamers are often guilty of, but I think it is wrong to base a GPU design decision according to what the lowest common denominators are inclined to do. People that buy cheap power supplies will learn their lesson when it comes back to bite them in the butt. I cannot believe it is because NVIDIA cares about the people that buy their GPUs.

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:02 AM, Mr. Fox said:

It is a shame so many of the DDR5 kits being sold are garbage.

Yup, and the trend run in a pace we have never seen before. 

Kingston Fury Renegade RGB DDR5-7200 48GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review tweaktown.com

Final Thoughts

A lot of their R&D money went into styling, which is obvious. Mixing matte black with brushed aluminum, machined FURY in the center, and brutish angles all over, even found in the diffuser, all come together to make an aesthetically pleasing presentation

For what RAM is intended, performance comes first for us, and the Fury Renegade RGB does not deliver as expected when scaled against other slower kits.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Papusan said:

Yup, the trend run in a pace we have never seen before. 

Kingston Fury Renegade RGB DDR5-7200 48GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review tweaktown.com

Final Thoughts

A lot of their R&D money went into styling, which is obvious. Mixing matte black with brushed aluminum, machined FURY in the center, and brutish angles all over, even found in the diffuser, all come together to make an aesthetically pleasing presentation

For what RAM is intended, performance comes first for us, and the Fury Renegade RGB does not deliver as expected when scaled against other slower kits.

I’ve been a fan of Kingston RAM on the grounds of compatibility and reliability but looks like they are on a downhill trajectory lately. Last to the market with a monstrosity of a product.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

so far corsair ram i have in my gaming laptop is doing well. 32gb vengeance its pretty fast 3200 but a ways from your 8800hmz. I dont think it matters what speed your ram is if you system isn't properly tweaked as it will be slow no matter what hardware you have, I cant imagine 8800mhz ram on a clean atlas OS install. if I wasn't always under attack my computer would be freeking fast, when I disconnect from the net and do a clean atlas install it is so fast I dont even see the delay in opening a window. its near instantaneous. when I connect to the net and use my computer it's immediately bogged down, makes me wish I pursued computer science or delved deeper into hacking/security either way with the roll of gods dice im blessed with schizophrenia and forget everything shy of my birthdate. I hope in another life I get a shot at normal.

• Thumb Up 1

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

While I love my P870TM, it's getting a bit old. I was hoping I could get the 2080 Super fixed, but I haven't found anyone who can. I will fix it myself at some point in the future when I am more knowledgeable with electronics just for the hell of it, but the future is sadly not now, and I'd like more power right now. I've also told myself that I need to jump ship to a desktop before I start college, so I suppose now is the proper time to do so. I've already purchased some parts, but would appreciate some input on everything else I haven't bought yet.

image.thumb.png.8276793c883a2455a69c0dfb4df259d9.png

The 4070 in the list is a placeholder for the 4070 Super, which is what I plan on getting. Most of the leaks I've seen have been saying the MSRP will be $600, but I'm expecting $650 is what the AIBs are going to charge for it. I really hope these cards don't turn out being more than $675 without tax. Only time will tell.

As for the cooler, it seems really overkill, but I plan on using it for the 4930mx too. I've heard great things from Arctic's AIOs so I also see it as an investment for the future should I upgrade my CPU.

Speaking of the CPU, I didn't want to go Intel as 15th gen and onward will be using a different socket (Sorry @Mr. Fox, I know it hurts to see lol). While I know building around futureproofing is dumb, I'd like to upgrade my CPU down the road without having to upgrade the motherboard too. I was really split between the 7700x and the 7600x, but ended up going with the 7600x as I got a good deal on it. I also thought about the 7800x3d, but they're still too pricey and I'd like to see the technology mature a little bit more.

For the motherboard, I'm still a bit unsure of my current selection. I've heard good things from the B650E-F and will probably go with it, but if anyone else has any good B650E recommendations, let me know. I trust the real experience you guys have with products a lot more than the artificial and skewed experience a reviewer might have. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more on an X670E board if there's one that has a good reputation and OC support, but I haven't looked into the X series boards enough to know if there are any that seem interesting.

The RAM is a bit bland and while I'd love to learn more about RAM overclocking, the 7000 series CPUs seem to dislike fast DDR5 and I'd assume a lower end CPU such as the 7600x probably won't have the greatest memory controller. I don't want to waste any money on speeds I can't get, so I'm thinking a 6000 kit with tight timings will be sufficient. 

I'm not really too knowledgeable on power supplies, but I've heard good things from Corsair's RM series. I'm also a bit bias towards those PSUs as I installed an RM750e for a buddy recently and had an easy time working with it. If any of you guys have had good experiences with Corsair or other brands, let me know. 

I try to get the most value I can out of everything, and even though I have spent a lot of time scoping this build out, I'm still unsure about certain parts. Not knowing everything about everything wigs me out a bit, so any input and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Thumb Up 4
  • Bump 2

Clevo P870TM-G: Core i7 8700k @ 4.8ghz | Clevo RTX 2070 Super | 32gb HyperX DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 17" 1440p 120hz B173QTN01.0 Screen | 256gb Samsung 850 EVO | 500gb WD Blue SSD | Prema BIOS

Alienware 17 R1: Core i7 4710mq @ 3.619ghz 741 CBR15 (834 CBR15 @ 4.213ghz) | Dell GTX 860m | 16gb HyperX DDR3L @ 2133mhz | 17" 3D 120hz LTN173HT02-T01 Screen | 256gb mSATA SSD

Asus Zephyrus G14: Ryzen 7 4800hs @ 4.2ghz | GTX 1650 | 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz | 14" 120hz LM140LF1F01 Screen | 512gb NVME SSD

59 minutes ago, Tenoroon said:

I'm not really too knowledgeable on power supplies, but I've heard good things from Corsair's RM series. I'm also a bit bias towards those PSUs as I installed an RM750e for a buddy recently and had an easy time working with it. If any of you guys have had good experiences with Corsair or other brands, let me know. 

I try to get the most value I can out of everything, and even though I have spent a lot of time scoping this build out, I'm still unsure about certain parts. Not knowing everything about everything wigs me out a bit, so any input and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi. Desktop build is the only way forwards. Regarding AMD I can't help much. I prefer Intel systems. In same way as I prefer Nvidia over AMD. But for the PSU.... See if you can find a cheap second gen Corsair HX1500i (2022) or the newer refreshed HX1500i with Atx 3.0 specs (only ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 certified). Both is very good options as Corsair still haven't implemented 12VHPWR connectors on the PSU panel. Which is a good thing. Buy the one you get at best price. 

PC Part Disaster: Disappointment PC Build 2023 (Worst Parts of the Year). As long new is always better newer it will sell regardless. All too much new tech have almost no value (in short... trash) or is just overpriced vs the offered performance. 

• Thumb Up 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tenoroon said:

Speaking of the CPU, I didn't want to go Intel as 15th gen and onward will be using a different socket (Sorry @Mr. Fox, I know it hurts to see lol). While I know building around futureproofing is dumb, I'd like to upgrade my CPU down the road without having to upgrade the motherboard too. I was really split between the 7700x and the 7600x, but ended up going with the 7600x as I got a good deal on it. I also thought about the 7800x3d, but they're still too pricey and I'd like to see the technology mature a little bit more.

It's your money, brother. Spend it as you wish and have fun. But, I think you are wise to put laptops in your rear view mirror. If overclocking isn't particularly important to you, team red might be a cheap entry point. Chances that I will ever buy anything in the future from AMD, especially on the CPU side, are extremely slim and close to zero. I've got nothing nice to say, so I won't say anything. The best way to learn is to let people FAFO on their own. That's how I got where I am today and why I think the things I think. Much better to have experience to draw from so you can avoid the jaded nonsense from fanboys that look like experts on the surface. The opinions of others mean nothing when you've got your own based on personal experience. Just give yourself a bit of wiggle room by not saying never and having it carved in stone. Each time you extend forgiveness and make the same mistake you swore you never would again hardens your heart against tech garbage a little more.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 2
  • Bump 1

59 minutes ago, Tenoroon said:

For the motherboard, I'm still a bit unsure of my current selection. I've heard good things from the B650E-F and will probably go with it, but if anyone else has any good B650E recommendations, let me know. I trust the real experience you guys have with products a lot more than the artificial and skewed experience a reviewer might have. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more on an X670E board if there's one that has a good reputation and OC support, but I haven't looked into the X series boards enough to know if there are any that seem interesting.

I had the Asus b650 Strix before i got the MSI B650 Edge and i have had only problems with Asus, was not stable and i RMA it. This was one year ago and maybe they are better now but because of this experience and the whole Asus voltage fiasco that was burning 7000 CPUS i lost trust in them and i will not buy any Asus MB for the time being. I can recomand MSI, they are rock stable and also i heard a lot of good stuff about the Gigabyte boards for Am5.

For RAM overclocking look at Buildzoid vids, hes got some good ones for AMD 7000 overclocking.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Bump 2

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

Well, I am pleased to find my 24/7 8600 MT/s memory overclock settings on the Apex are going to work fine on the Apex Encore as well.  So, it looks like both systems will be running the same daily driver overclock settings. 60x on P-cores, 47x on E-cores, 50x on Cache and 8600 on memory.

I will probably have to dial them back to 59x on P-cores when the hot summer weather returns. With the winter weather and my office window left open to let the cool air in (and tons of dust) I am able to keep my office between 65-70°C F compared to 78-82° F the rest of the year.

Would you trade this for a Ryzen X3D setup @Papusan

image.png

I am about 29 minutes into a MemTest Pro stability test and so far no errors.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1
  • Bump 1
  • Hands 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Hmmm

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rsrohewqhchye65z7v

Edit. We can continue talk about HELL NO.

Nice winter weather here home. Already 11 minus and strong icecold wind that makes the temperature feels more like minus 20. And it gets worse. Much worse. I expect from 25-35C minus outside Papusan's plaza in the coming days. Then you have the wind on top. Yup, nice being stuck in the cold North. Once the cold is finished then we are back to rain and windy days again. Then it will switch over again. Oh'gosh I hate it. 

2882078.jpg

It gets worse - then comes the Siberian monster
Snow and strong winds have ravaged Southern Norway in particular. When the low pressure is over - the monster cold comes from Siberia

In some parts longer up in north of Norway we may even see temps colder than minus 40. Pair that with fresh blowing wind and you will really feel your alive. 

• Haha 4

Hey everyone!! I reset my iphone and lost my saved login and password to this forum only for some reason lol. I was being seriously lazy as well. But, I reset it 😁

On 12/31/2023 at 1:40 PM, Mr. Fox said:

He was right. One per package. Not unusual for these. I have needed to purchase them individually from Bykski in the past. The issue is misleading photographs and product description of "2 pieces" not the cost per module. Anyhoo... I got them installed and the RAM on water. With air cooling the RAM overclocked to 8200 was hitting 65°C and erring out on TM5. Temps reduced about 24°C and zero errors now. Things are as they should be again.

A couple of observations. This G.SKILL kit was white. The white color is low quality paint. The lacquer thinner used to dissolve the adhesives started stripping the paint. This has never happened with black so they must have used a very poor quality paint. Acrylic and Polyurethane enamels are not harmed by lacquer thinner. Second observation... appears they are binning these modules. There are handwritten markings on an IC on each module similar to what I saw on the 3090 KPE, which EVGA confirmed are from binning.

Memory-Waterblock.jpg

Product.jpg

Bare-Modules.jpg

Memory-Jackets.jpg

Hey, which rams are these? And you have an Encore?!

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1

13900KF

7 hours ago, Tenoroon said:

While I love my P870TM, it's getting a bit old. I was hoping I could get the 2080 Super fixed, but I haven't found anyone who can. I will fix it myself at some point in the future when I am more knowledgeable with electronics just for the hell of it, but the future is sadly not now, and I'd like more power right now. I've also told myself that I need to jump ship to a desktop before I start college, so I suppose now is the proper time to do so. I've already purchased some parts, but would appreciate some input on everything else I haven't bought yet.

image.thumb.png.8276793c883a2455a69c0dfb4df259d9.png

The 4070 in the list is a placeholder for the 4070 Super, which is what I plan on getting. Most of the leaks I've seen have been saying the MSRP will be $600, but I'm expecting $650 is what the AIBs are going to charge for it. I really hope these cards don't turn out being more than $675 without tax. Only time will tell.

As for the cooler, it seems really overkill, but I plan on using it for the 4930mx too. I've heard great things from Arctic's AIOs so I also see it as an investment for the future should I upgrade my CPU.

The RAM is a bit bland and while I'd love to learn more about RAM overclocking, the 7000 series CPUs seem to dislike fast DDR5 and I'd assume a lower end CPU such as the 7600x probably won't have the greatest memory controller. I don't want to waste any money on speeds I can't get, so I'm thinking a 6000 kit with tight timings will be sufficient. 

Sadly, it's true in the laptop space. The NH55 was the last stab at the old replaceable parts design with "only" the GPU soldered in. I've bought and returned two Asus G18s (13900hx, 4080) as you can't do anything with them internally really of meaning and they're built to just not be tinkered within. Every model of laptop offered this last year just left me sad. I'm still hoping Clevo or another company offers a true old school DTR with Ryzen or 15th gen but the market has shifted drastically for the worse.

I was wondering what had happened with that 2080 Super!  😞

I think the 4070 Super is a great pick. It is getting the biggest spec bump from all the Super cards and even at $650 it will be a great bang/buck pick. Even before, the 4070 normal was a good buy and one of my picks along with the 4090 IMHO. That 4070 Super is going to wreck your GTX 1080 is all the best possible ways.

You're right in regards to forward thinking and socket support with AMD but if you're truly looking to hold onto this system for the next 2-3+ years, why not go for an X670E? I prefer MSI these days and the Carbon or even Tomahawk would be a solid pick. @jaybee83 is running an Asus X670E. @Raiderman is running an X670E Carbon like myself. 7600x is a solid welcome to desktop land CPU leaving optimal room for growth.

I take it with your memory selection you are fine with not pushing towards 8000? Personally I haven't seen any meaningful gains opening up another gear with AMD as the AM5 architecture is solidly built around 6000 and the IMC shows this when stepping up a gear opening up to 8000 and online results (outside of memory bandwidth tests). I wouldn't be surprised if their next gen CPUs take advantage of the bandwidth more like Intel does but for now, 6000 is the sweet spot. Maybe see where you can dial it in right above that but never below.

Cooler wise, I am still running an AC LF II 420 and as good as my EK Nucleus was for the SFF adventures, the AC LF II is even better. You can't go wrong with it. For optimal cooling, the Lian Li  Galahad II Trinity 360mm seems to be the top dog atm (there was a recall on the first gen model with pump issues) but I love AC all in one design with minimal wiring and no software needed at all for control. Just plug it into the CPU fan control header and go. Final bonus is how quiet it runs with those 140mm fans.

PSU, I would normally recommend EVGA but after doing some forum surfing on OCN and EVGA themselves, no one can seem to get in contact with support at all. Tickets aren't being supported and they do seem to be dying. My next choice would be Corsair or Seasonic. Corsair for excellent support and Seasonic for superior PSUs overall. Every time I had any type of problem with a product (memory x 2, PSU x 1), Corsair RMA was painless and easy.

Welcome to desktops brother! 🙂

• Thumb Up 4
  • Like 3
  • Bump 2

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

MelMel:  AMD Ryzen 5 7600x | Asus B650 Prime | Powercolor Spectra White 7900XTX | Asus Ryugin III 240mm AIO | M-die 2x16GB Custom | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | EVGA P2 850w | Hyte Y40 | BenQ 32" 4k
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition

5 hours ago, tps3443 said:

Hey, which rams are these? And you have an Encore?!

Another G.SKILL 8000 kit like I had in the Apex. I got it dialed in and stable on the Z690 Dark. These are the only stable 48GB memory kits I have found. All the rest seem to be trash. And, then I bought an Encore. It seems like I got a good Encore, as it performs identical to the white Apex.

I am hoping to snag a nicely binned 14900K for at or below retail price at some point, maybe when people start jumping to 15th Gen and need fast cash to pay for it. Since there is no more firmware support from EVGA, dropping a 14900K into the socket won't be doable. I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell the Dark. I hate the thought of parting with it, and I may keep it, but I have too many spare parts already. I literally have everything needed except for GPU to build a whole third desktop now. If Battlemage turns out as awesome as I hope it does, then I'll even have the extra GPU.

(Technically, I actually do have a spare GPU but it's too old and sucky to use except in an emergency situation. It doesn't even have a UEFI vBIOS so it produces an error during POST about not having UEFI support.)

• Thumb Up 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Well, I am pleased to find my 24/7 8600 MT/s memory overclock settings on the Apex are going to work fine on the Apex Encore as well.  So, it looks like both systems will be running the same daily driver overclock settings. 60x on P-cores, 47x on E-cores, 50x on Cache and 8600 on memory.

I will probably have to dial them back to 59x on P-cores when the hot summer weather returns. With the winter weather and my office window left open to let the cool air in (and tons of dust) I am able to keep my office between 65-70°C F compared to 78-82° F the rest of the year.

image.png

I am about 29 minutes into a MemTest Pro stability test and so far no errors.

8 hours ago, Papusan said:

Hmmm

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rsrohewqhchye65z7v

LOL i expected nothing less from you two 😄 

but as usual, always depends what ure aiming for. high cpu & ram frequencies, intel is your guy. platform longevity / performance value / power efficiency, AMD all the way. especially when its about gaming only or productivity first.

however, for benching purposes, balls to the wall OC is still in the blue camp, albeit the margins are getting seemingly smaller with each gen passing by.

point being, its been a loooong long time since theres been something for everyone from both camps, its awesome!

• Like 3
  • Bump 2

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (TG High Perf. IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

2 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Another G.SKILL 8000 kit like I had in the Apex. I got it dialed in and stable on the Z690 Dark. These are the only stable 48GB memory kits I have found. All the rest seem to be trash. And, then I bought an Encore. It seems like I got a good Encore, as it performs identical to the white Apex.

I am hoping to snag a nicely binned 14900K for at or below retail price at some point, maybe when people start jumping to 15th Gen and need fast cash to pay for it. Since there is no more firmware support from EVGA, dropping a 14900K into the socket won't be doable. I'm still trying to decide if I want to sell the Dark. I hate the thought of parting with it, and I may keep it, but I have too many spare parts already. I literally have everything needed except for GPU to build a whole third desktop now. If Battlemage turns out as awesome as I hope it does, then I'll even have the extra GPU.

(Technically, I actually do have a spare GPU but it's too old and sucky to use except in an emergency situation. It doesn't even have a UEFI vBIOS so it produces an error during POST about not having UEFI support.)

Plenty of good Encores out there. I think mine just did not play well with that bios I was using. If I'm not mistaken, the very next bios Asus released improved them drastically which came right after I returned mine. 

My 14900KF is really nice so far. I have not delidded mine yet, I run it at 6.0P/4.8E. The P-cores and E-Cores are really just freakishly good man, this E-SP88 is more like a KS with E-SP105+ or something maybe even more. I remember the E-SP103 KS I tested (During the time I thought that E-SP103 KS was a GOD lol, and it was) but it could not run like this.  IMC is also fantastic, I have stabilized 8533C36-49-49-49-34 with 262k tREFI for MEMTESTPRO.

My ram kit is the G.Skill 8200c40 kit, and only one of my ram sticks will do 8600+ stable in a testing and pass at 100% or better, while the other stick is limited to 8500+ I really want to buy one of these binned ram kits from China that is guaranteed to run like 8600c36@1.500VDD. (This would be a dream) 

1JFCTxt.png

• Thumb Up 1
  • Like 2

13900KF

9 hours ago, tps3443 said:

Plenty of good Encores out there. I think mine just did not play well with that bios I was using. If I'm not mistaken, the very next bios Asus released improved them drastically which came right after I returned mine. 

Having both, I can confidently say that there is nothing for you to gain from the purchase unless you hate white parts so much you can't live with the option. The Encore is a poorer value because it costs the same and includes less. Although I have to admit the missing items, other than the GPU support, are totally worthless to me. The only benefit that is evident to me is the black color, and that is subjective.

The bottom edge USB 3.1 19-pin and the 3.2 Type C headers malfunction on both motherboards in the exact same way, which is disappointing because I have a need for those ports to function correctly on both systems.

• Thumb Up 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Having both, I can confidently say that there is nothing for you to gain from the purchase unless you hate white parts so much you can't live with the option. The Encore is a poorer value because it costs the same and includes less. Although I have to admit the missing items, other than the GPU support, are totally worthless to me. The only benefit that is evident to me is the black color, and that is subjective.

The bottom edge USB 3.1 19-pin and the 3.2 Type C headers malfunction on both motherboards in the exact same way, which is disappointing because I have a need for those ports to function correctly on both systems.

I had a similar issue with losing USB devices. Turned out it was my PCH temps. I was not using any fans on my test bench, PCH idles about 59C, and in games or apps even hotter! It was hurting my memory overclock, and I was dropping USB devices. 

The Z790 Apex doesn’t have the best PCH cooling, but inside of a case it would be fine with even weak air flow. But with zero air flow it really heats up. After adding a fan and getting my PCH below 50C I saw a huge improvement to stability and no more dropped USB devices when playing BF2042 lol. 

• Thumb Up 3

13900KF