NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170SM-G Thread

electrosoft

Does anyone use here dSanke bios?

I would have a need for experience because I might have to use it.

How adjustable can CPU be? (I think of tension first) Or overall ... (?)

As I look at CPU (i9-10900k) over 5GHz, there is no extra plus and consumption is above 1.4V+, which is not too healthy and the points (CB R23 2.0) are no better above the 5GHz frequency!

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

You probably need a better binned 10900K or 10900KF. How much power do you need for 5GHz all cores with a stable undervolt? That is one of the advantages of a socketed CPU that you should make use of: Get a better CPU, they are easy to swap.

3 minutes ago, Snowleopard said:

What are my options to upgrade from the RTX 2070, I know the talks have been around the RTX 3080, and there really is nothing around an RTX4080/ RTX 4090 or is there yet> and what about the latest AMD/ATI MXM cards?

The Clevo RTX3080 with a new heatsink and possibly a shunt mod would be your best current bet and give you a substantial increase in raster, raytracing and memory performance.

If you wanted to go beyond that you would have to try and get the biggest semi-regular form factor MXM that is sold for the HP Zbook 16 G10 and get it to work in the X170 or rather find somebody who can do it for you:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/workstations/zbook-fury-specs.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/rtx-5000-mobile-ada-generation.c4097

Depending on TGP and application I would expect another 20 to 50% performance boost from that card but it will be very hard to get it to work both with regard to fitting it in the X170 and giving it a proper heatsink and with the needed vbios and other adjustments. To even get it you may be better off to take it out of a Zbook and then sell that on without the card instead of buying it separately.

There are also other possible vendors who may have MXM cards but the latest generation of cards hasn't been out for long and these vendors usually specialize in workstation cards.

• Thumb Up 1

Bought the new fans from taobao, they are excellent with the stock heatsink. Mostly I am so glad they are quieter.

A good surprise is also the better temps they grant.

I now have a set of stock fans, another stock heatsink and the hybrid heatsink, guess I should open a shop.

5 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

Bought the new fans from taobao, they are excellent with the stock heatsink. Mostly I am so glad they are quieter.

A good surprise is also the better temps they grant.

I now have a set of stock fans, another stock heatsink and the hybrid heatsink, guess I should open a shop.

What is the difference in temps compared to stock ones?

XMG Neo 17 (E24)  | 14900HX | 32GB 5600 CL48@7000 CL34 | RTX4090 | QHD @240Hz G-Sync | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO | Killer WiFi 1675i

11 hours ago, MiRaGe said:

What is the difference in temps compared to stock ones?

gpu on stock heatsink with new fans: 8/9 C less than the hybrid ( on air) and the previous stock one with stock fans (10 C less on hotspot).

CPU stock heatsink new fans: pretty similar to be honest, some workloads can show a couple of degrees less, can happen to have a bit more stability on lower values, though I can say it doesn't go over 85/86 C on full tilt.

Thing is I think there is a limit in thermal capacity that when reached increases temps on either cpu or gpu depending on load balance and heat concentration.

I should mention that this is with a fan profile I have. Were I running max fans continuously, it would either take much longer to get to that level or simply be lower. Room temp was in both sets of tests 21 C.

Gpu can't go over 0.975, frequency sits at 2085Mhz tops, small 350 overclock on memory, cpu is a 10600k with a 93 mv undervolt, frequencies are stock

• Thumb Up 1

10 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

gpu, 8 to 9 degrees C gpu and  10 hotspot compared to the hybrid ( on air) and the previous stock one with stock fans was 80 with a 90 91 hotspot.

Cpu refuses to go over 80/82 tops degrees even with continuous repeated cinebench r23 runs, which is 3 4 C less, rest is at full 400w+ usage with cpu not over 85 ( games etc) .

I should mention that this is with a fan profile I have. Were I running max fans continuously, it would either take much longer to get to that level or simply be lower. Room temp was in both sets of tests 21 C.

Gpu can't go over 0.975, frequency sits at 2085Mhz tops, small 350 overclock on memory, cpu is a 10600k with a 93 mv undervolt, frequencies are stock

This seems to be a bit hard to understand with regard to temps, would it be possible to give us temps like this:

stock heat sink old fans CPU/GPU

stock heat sink new fans CPU/GPU

hybrid on air old fans CPU/GPU

hybrid on air new fans CPU/GPU

In any case from what you say it looks like the fans are quite a bit cheaper then the hybrid heatsink and give a similar reduction in noise or temperatures?

1 minute ago, 1610ftw said:

This seems to be a bit hard to understand with regard to temps, would it be possible to give us temps like this:

stock heat sink old fans CPU/GPU

stock heat sink new fans CPU/GPU

hybrid on air old fans CPU/GPU

hybrid on air new fans CPU/GPU

In any case from what you say it looks like the fans are quite a bit cheaper then the hybrid heatsink and give a similar reduction in noise or temperatures?

the truth is, I'm not sure these temps can apply to others just because of setup, using LM on both cpu and gpu etc, and the hybrid heatsink is meant to be run on water, though it can indeed run on air too, I never managed to get great temps on it on both sets of fans.

10 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

the truth is, I'm not sure these temps can apply to others just because of setup, using LM on both cpu and gpu etc, and the hybrid heatsink is meant to be run on water, though it can indeed run on air too, I never managed to get great temps on it on both sets of fans.

That is a bit hard to understand so is there any comparison between stock fans and regular fans with everything else being the same? A 10°C reduction with application of LM and the new fans would cause me to wonder which part of the reduction is due to the fans and which part is due to the LM 🙂 In any case it is very nice to again hear that the new fans are really quiet!

There was a little test and the machine consumed nicely!

Unfortunately, over 4.4GHz (and 4.5GHz+) did not go stable during the frequency Prime95 + FurMark test!

What is the problem?

TDP 250W I set.

Aida64 Stress Body (CPU, FPU, Cache) Fixed. 5GHz goes or what I say ... Prime95 would he have so much for him? (Smallest FFT or Small FFT)

CPU and System "Power"

cpu_and_total_power_hwinfo.jpg.123df0b94b72276ab4705334be9e329d.jpg

RTX 2080 Super (OC)

gpu_total_power_hwinfo.jpg.53da4af99558eda230d74fc954c12350.jpg

rtx_2080_super_gpu-z_oc.jpg.182ae36aaf0a0770144a724b372982e8.jpg

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

3 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

That is a bit hard to understand so is there any comparison between stock fans and regular fans with everything else being the same? A 10°C reduction with application of LM and the new fans would cause me to wonder which part of the reduction is due to the fans and which part is due to the LM 🙂 In any case it is very nice to again hear that the new fans are really quiet!

the only thing that changed were the fans, and obviously exchanging the heatsinks to see which one was better. Thus the reduction in temps was due to fans and fans alone, By now I am pretty used to applying LM so I do not think there is much of a difference there.  I changed the original post to something clearer

1 hour ago, MaxxD said:

There was a little test and the machine consumed nicely!

Unfortunately, over 4.4GHz (and 4.5GHz+) did not go stable during the frequency Prime95 + FurMark test!

What is the problem?

TDP 250W I set.

Aida64 Stress Body (CPU, FPU, Cache) Fixed. 5GHz goes or what I say ... Prime95 would he have so much for him? (Smallest FFT or Small FFT)

CPU and System "Power"

cpu_and_total_power_hwinfo.jpg.123df0b94b72276ab4705334be9e329d.jpg

RTX 2080 Super (OC)

gpu_total_power_hwinfo.jpg.53da4af99558eda230d74fc954c12350.jpg

rtx_2080_super_gpu-z_oc.jpg.182ae36aaf0a0770144a724b372982e8.jpg

that gpu power draw seems higher than stock, did you change anything?

9 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

that gpu power draw seems higher than stock, did you change anything?

Nothing. /OC ON/

6 hours ago, Bidelloman said:

image.png.c254e3fb8eb2e8f4b85d494009c25344.png

what's your average pch temp during loads? mine seems a bit high

During tests as much as the CPU as I watched.

• Thumb Up 1

I put the "sticky" (rubber/silicone) foil on the bill because the display was dusty ... keyboard. There was a shadow of buttons with dust "drawn" 😉

376600_x170_bill_t.jpg

376600_x170_bill_t_2.jpg

Good little water full copper block Heatsink, but I like it! 😋

376600_x170_water_heatsink_c.jpg

Then the machine is put in place, but the external unit is not yet connected ... It is well done because when connected, no drops of water leak and everything remains in place! 😊

376600_x170_water_heatsink_fitting_off_c

376600_20230430_115810_hdr.jpg

• Thumb Up 2
  • Like 1

has anyone tried a dual boot on this system yet?  maybe a virtual box with mac or nix?

some of my music DAW programs only run in mac or windows so I had to get a windows set up so I got this laptop, great deal so far so good even tho win10 is one of the worst OS's I have ever worked with, it seems to be nothing more than a bloated propaganda OS that demands all of your vitals and personal data just to log on.. I mean I can;t even have a weather indicator on the taskbar without out getting stormed with garbage I want nothing to do with, typical brainwashing platform imho..

anyways I would like to split the boot one for doze one for nix, I can partition all that but does the BIOS lend to dual boot or?  

anyone try it? doesn't matter how I do it, external drive, thumb drive, M2, so on so forth

also how to get into the BIOS, the CMOS

not much on this specific laptop, I get it tho but all in all it appears to be an OK laptop other than the fact they should have used that 1.24" of lid at the bottom for screen?  works tho, very fast, and I bet its uber fast with nix or mac doing the job doze pretends to be doing..  I cannot believe all the things I had to shut down and turn off by default, um mics on by default? camera on by default with access to everything?  seems rather irresponsible to me, make it so easy for others to invade your privacy.. who knows what the chynese may have added to record your every move...  lololololo

thanks man any help is appreciated on a dual boot set up, bios access

12 hours ago, DeanIversenGreen said:

has anyone tried a dual boot on this system yet?  maybe a virtual box with mac or nix?

some of my music DAW programs only run in mac or windows so I had to get a windows set up so I got this laptop, great deal so far so good even tho win10 is one of the worst OS's I have ever worked with, it seems to be nothing more than a bloated propaganda OS that demands all of your vitals and personal data just to log on.. I mean I can;t even have a weather indicator on the taskbar without out getting stormed with garbage I want nothing to do with, typical brainwashing platform imho..

anyways I would like to split the boot one for doze one for nix, I can partition all that but does the BIOS lend to dual boot or?  

anyone try it? doesn't matter how I do it, external drive, thumb drive, M2, so on so forth

also how to get into the BIOS, the CMOS

not much on this specific laptop, I get it tho but all in all it appears to be an OK laptop other than the fact they should have used that 1.24" of lid at the bottom for screen?  works tho, very fast, and I bet its uber fast with nix or mac doing the job doze pretends to be doing..  I cannot believe all the things I had to shut down and turn off by default, um mics on by default? camera on by default with access to everything?  seems rather irresponsible to me, make it so easy for others to invade your privacy.. who knows what the chynese may have added to record your every move...  lololololo

thanks man any help is appreciated on a dual boot set up, bios access

For me, my system drive is 1TB (the other 3 2TB SSD) and 2 (50-50%), one side of the Win10 and the other side of Win11. This is perfectly suitable for all2 systems, when you turn on the machine, I can choose which one I want to use again at the rest of the rest. No problem with Windows systems. X170SM-G is made for Win10 and Win11 can be used without any problems. (Drivers and programs are given ... Obsidian and other ...) I also replace the system drive with 2TB SSD these days, so it will be 4x2TB SSD, so 8TB total. I will swallow the contents of 1TB and so the simplest.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:42 AM, 1610ftw said:

The Clevo RTX3080 with a new heatsink and possibly a shunt mod would be your best current bet and give you a substantial increase in raster, raytracing and memory performance.

If you wanted to go beyond that you would have to try and get the biggest semi-regular form factor MXM that is sold for the HP Zbook 16 G10 and get it to work in the X170 or rather find somebody who can do it for you:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/workstations/zbook-fury-specs.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/rtx-5000-mobile-ada-generation.c4097

Depending on TGP and application I would expect another 20 to 50% performance boost from that card but it will be very hard to get it to work both with regard to fitting it in the X170 and giving it a proper heatsink and with the needed vbios and other adjustments. To even get it you may be better off to take it out of a Zbook and then sell that on without the card instead of buying it separately.

There are also other possible vendors who may have MXM cards but the latest generation of cards hasn't been out for long and these vendors usually specialize in workstation cards.

So I found a disassembly video of the Zbook 16 G9 on youtube and there is no regular MXM from factor card on this one any more and unfortunately the chassis is also used by the Zbook 16 G10:

image.png.5e24212dd99fe7d29180b5113719a7c8.png

So not too many options for the X170 and I wish HP would go back to a compatible MXM form factor for an 18" Zbook Fury 18 G11.

• Sad 1

On 5/27/2023 at 2:32 PM, 1610ftw said:

So I found a disassembly video of the Zbook 16 G9 on youtube and there is no regular MXM from factor card on this one any more and unfortunately the chassis is also used by the Zbook 16 G10:

image.png.5e24212dd99fe7d29180b5113719a7c8.png

So not too many options for the X170 and I wish HP would go back to a compatible MXM form factor for an 18" Zbook Fury 18 G11.

After watching that video on the HP, now I am curious if double stacking NVM's I know it requires a motherboard change, but I am thinking about a 15th gen version of an X170sm-g with more pcie lanes and possibly room for 8 nvme drives instead of 4 by double stacking them. I guess cooling would come up again.

2023-05-28_23-19-23.jpg

Not sure if we really need 8 drive slots but with the option to stack drives the manufacturers should go for 6 drive slots for the 2280 form factor. That should be the minimum for top of the line DTRs. A nice side effect would be that laptops would have to get a bit thicker again which can also be used for better cooling.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:16 AM, ViktorV said:

I put 3060/3070/3080 in x170smg, I didn't modify the heatsink, I put the heatsink from x170kmg, they are compatible. You can unlock any original bios from Clevo using an unlocker, the last available bios was 1.07.04 if I'm not mistaken.

an unlocker much like dsanke's is enough for people to swap in a 3080 with a new heatsink and get the x170smg to work?

• 4 weeks later...

Would you replace the RTX 2080 Super card with a RTX 3080 card?

Many arguments wouldn't say it, only 8GB vs. 16GB VRAM which can come in handy later ... The price of 3080 mxm (Clevo) GPU would be EUR 1000.

I think the 2080 Super is enough for everything and it will be enough for me ... Opinion?

RTX 2080 Super Mobile vs. RTX 3080 Mobile (Laptop GPU)

rtx_2080_super_mobile_gpu_vs._rtx_3080_mobile_gpu_00_all.thumb.jpg.956de9b91dcb6d5a930194d522c84a21.jpg

13 hours ago, MaxxD said:

Would you replace the RTX 2080 Super card with a RTX 3080 card?

Many arguments wouldn't say it, only 8GB vs. 16GB VRAM which can come in handy later ... The price of 3080 mxm (Clevo) GPU would be EUR 1000.

I think the 2080 Super is enough for everything and it will be enough for me ... Opinion?

RTX 2080 Super Mobile vs. RTX 3080 Mobile (Laptop GPU)

rtx_2080_super_mobile_gpu_vs._rtx_3080_mobile_gpu_00_all.thumb.jpg.956de9b91dcb6d5a930194d522c84a21.jpg

If I remember it correctly , you will need not only MXM module but also heatsink from KM-G .