NotebookTalk

Official Clevo X170SM-G Thread

electrosoft

I think there is a software problem here, because TimeSpy (especially extreme) is much harder than the same Warzone.

TongFang GM6PX8X | 13900HX | 32Gb@6600Mhz C40 | RTX4080 | QHD @240Hz | PM9A1 1Tb | PREMA MOD | Custom 360mm AIO Liquid System |

13 hours ago, NORD said:

Where can l buy cooler data, can l link?

Do you have access to taobao...?

TongFang GM6PX8X | 13900HX | 32Gb@6600Mhz C40 | RTX4080 | QHD @240Hz | PM9A1 1Tb | PREMA MOD | Custom 360mm AIO Liquid System |

14 hours ago, MiRaGe said:

Yes, mainly in Warzone with vRAM above +700 OC. In TimeSpy,  Battlefield V and 2042 there is no such a problem…

Game "Bug" ? 🤔

• Bump 1

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

21 hours ago, FTW_260 said:

Both points play a role here. The 2080S has better quality chips.

Even under heavy loads, the frequency does not decrease? Any benchmark results?

Is it only in one game?

It usually keeps over 2000mhz. worst test feasible is of course the witcher on dx12 with ray tracing, constant 400watts and both cpu and gpu are quite stressed, gpu at 79 80 and cpu pretty similar

* * * Wrong Thread LOL * * *

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Alienware AW3225QF 32" OLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel:  (Retrofit currently in progress)

I still have the original bios on the machine, I see it is newer. The question is, is it worth updating or letting what you have? Since 100% stable and everything is good with the current version, I would leave it.

x170_bios_and_up.thumb.jpg.df3f9cd766d3ea023565f5c0c9fc0cef.jpg

◄►Clevo® X170SM-G + AIO Water SystemWin10 & 11 x64 Pro "Dual Boot" System◄►+ Pioneer®BDR-209EBK + RaidSonic®ICY BOX IB-550STU3S►LG®OLED55C9PLA "4K" 120Hz G-Sync 1MS►HP®DeskJet GT 5820 (X3B09A)◄►*.*

I got my fans working again, must have been a software glitch,but the laptop is getting hot enough that the thermal sensors are shutting it off, does this mean I need to pull the heatsink and apply new thermal paste? I have only added ram and nvme's since buying it, I haven't done a tear down.

5 hours ago, Snowleopard said:

I got my fans working again, must have been a software glitch,but the laptop is getting hot enough that the thermal sensors are shutting it off, does this mean I need to pull the heatsink and apply new thermal paste? I have only added ram and nvme's since buying it, I haven't done a tear down.

Hard to say, what temps do you get at max fans in a run of Time Spy or what are your Cinebench CR23 numbers and temps? Any undervolting / overclocking?

If you are not into that kind of thing I would suggest to just apply some PTM 7950 if your temps are too high - it may not be the ultimate solution with a CPU heat spreader but it is long lasting so you will not have to redo it if you don't want to.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:23 AM, 1610ftw said:

Hard to say, what temps do you get at max fans in a run of Time Spy or what are your Cinebench CR23 numbers and temps? Any undervolting / overclocking?

If you are not into that kind of thing I would suggest to just apply some PTM 7950 if your temps are too high - it may not be the ultimate solution with a CPU heat spreader but it is long lasting so you will not have to redo it if you don't want to.

I am not over clocking, but I do have it set to performance mode so I don't have all the benchmark tools on it That PTM 7950 looks good, I might try that.

Now that the fan control software is working, If I set the fans to max, the laptop cools off pretty quick and then I set it back to automatic.

On 4/16/2023 at 3:43 AM, MaxxD said:

I still have the original bios on the machine, I see it is newer. The question is, is it worth updating or letting what you have? Since 100% stable and everything is good with the current version, I would leave it.

x170_bios_and_up.thumb.jpg.df3f9cd766d3ea023565f5c0c9fc0cef.jpg

If you choose to update the BIOS with one of those files, the boot screen image will change to a default "Style Note" image, replacing whatever it was before

53 minutes ago, IamTechknow said:

If you choose to update the BIOS with one of those files, the boot screen image will change to a default "Style Note" image, replacing whatever it was before

I assume that you need to unlock the bios to pick a startup screen, is that hard to do if you want a custom start up screen?

33 minutes ago, Snowleopard said:

I assume that you need to unlock the bios to pick a startup screen, is that hard to do if you want a custom start up screen?

I have no idea TBH because I never tried using H2OUVE/H2OEZE to unlock it but the tools might allow you to do it, I just know from my own experience of flashing a stock Clevo BIOS from the website over the Sager one, in a different model

17 hours ago, Snowleopard said:

I am not over clocking, but I do have it set to performance mode so I don't have all the benchmark tools on it That PTM 7950 looks good, I might try that.

Now that the fan control software is working, If I set the fans to max, the laptop cools off pretty quick and then I set it back to automatic.

In theory if somebody did a really good job on your X170 you may not need the PTM 7950 but it is likely you will see some improvement at least.

On 4/18/2023 at 4:23 AM, 1610ftw said:

Is the PTM 7950 only good for CPU and GPU applications or can it be used on nvme's also? just wonder. or other components that use regular thermal pads that don't "liquify' under heat.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:26 PM, Snowleopard said:

Is the PTM 7950 only good for CPU and GPU applications or can it be used on nvme's also? just wonder. or other components that use regular thermal pads that don't "liquify' under heat.

This s supposed to be used between two metals so I would not think it is a good idea to put it on an SSD.

Regular pads are just fine in my experience as the SSDs produce little heat - the problem with them is airflow and a decent heat sink, often they have none or close to none. 

I have seen extreme cases like the new MSI top of the line laptops (GT77 chassis) that have close to zero SSD cooling due to virtually no airflow going over them and no heat sinks either whereas two and three models before the GT73 and GT75 had both which results in SSD temperatures that are 15 to 30°C lower depending on load.

For the X170 I would suggest to go with one like this for the three SSDs that are next to each other. It helps to have one that extends over all three SSDs as it will improve cooling due to higher total mass and because a single drive being able to offload that much more heat than if it only had a small heatsink of its own:

image.png.398db834b0cb4f5f974ba822a0aa6ee1.png

7 hours ago, 1610ftw said:

This s supposed to be used between two metals so I would not think it is a good idea to put it on an SSD.

Regular pads are just fine in my experience as the SSDs produce little heat - the problem with them is airflow and a decent heat sink, often they have none or close to none. 

I have seen extreme cases like the new MSI top of the line laptops (GT77 chassis) that have close to zero SSD cooling due to virtually no airflow going over them and no heat sinks either whereas two and three models before the GT73 and GT75 had both which results in SSD temperatures that are 15 to 30°C lower depending on load.

For the X170 I would suggest to go with one like this for the three SSDs that are next to each other. It helps to have one that extends over all three SSDs as it will improve cooling due to higher total mass and because a single drive being able to offload that much more heat than if it only had a small heatsink of its own:

image.png.398db834b0cb4f5f974ba822a0aa6ee1.png

Thank you, that makes sense.

I am curious about my fan issue now though. In the advanced bios settings are there settings to control when the fans come on and what the defaults are?

I am getting temps down to 40 degrees Cel. with the fans at max speed in the control panel, but it seems like the fans are not throttling at lower temps and just allowing the heat to build up until I manually turn the fans on.

Maybe it is a failure of the thermal paste from when I bought it.

1 hour ago, Snowleopard said:

Thank you, that makes sense.

I am curious about my fan issue now though. In the advanced bios settings are there settings to control when the fans come on and what the defaults are?

I am getting temps down to 40 degrees Cel. with the fans at max speed in the control panel, but it seems like the fans are not throttling at lower temps and just allowing the heat to build up until I manually turn the fans on.

Maybe it is a failure of the thermal paste from when I bought it.

It is probably best to reset your settings to default. With default settings you should have some kind of fan curve that just lets fans increase in speed with temperature and without a need to manually turn on the fans. If that does not work then there may indeed be some kind of defect or at least there may be something seriously wrong with your windows installation. 

On 4/7/2023 at 4:00 PM, FTW_260 said:

Hi all.:classic_cool:
Finally found time for something interesting.
First, the shunt mod for the video card.:classic_ninja:
A thin wire was soldered around the current-measuring resistors, which is why the consumption in software monitoring became defined as 120-130W.

397022868_photo_2023-04-07_22-34-40(3).thumb.jpg.1a97176bdf81482160ca1e2d9cc0a07f.jpg

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7532_1680811455.thumb.png.ab09aacff2400308fbf7e9286677d3b1.png

photo_2023-04-07_22-55-58.jpg.3690e29bf4ac06684f3ff5e8a124b006.jpg

Thus, now there are no problems with a stable core frequency at the level of 2050-2070 MHz, I have not tested it higher yet.:classic_wink:

Since the laptop was disassembled, at the same time I installed custom fans. They are on average 25-30 grams heavier than the original ones.

1514900903_photo_2023-04-07_22-34-40(2).thumb.jpg.ec85a080e9e017f16fd25bd5ff1b68c0.jpg

Their main advantage is that they are MUCH quieter than stock fans. At the same time, the air flow is quite strong not only at the rear, but now also at the sides. However, if you look at the monitoring of the CCC, they operate at a slightly lower speed:

photo_2023-04-07_17-22-47.thumb.jpg.5b1f9a6eb308729955590a7a2f18d917.jpg

photo_2023-04-07_22-34-40.thumb.jpg.8be2f2b39ff590218c3402223f5ccaff.jpg

At low speeds, they are not audible at all, with an average load, they begin to make a barely audible noise with air currents, but they are not as annoying as the original ones. :classic_wacko: I didn’t try to check it without water, so I can assume 5-7 degrees of gain + much less noise, as it was on 775TM, about efficiency.

Do you have a link to the custom fans, I might be interested in buying a set for my X170sm-g

23 hours ago, Snowleopard said:

Do you have a link to the custom fans, I might be interested in buying a set for my X170sm-g

I will also get a party from this Spéc fan, but I would be interested in the difference between the factory what (?)