NotebookTalk

[Various] AMD Ryzen 7600x/7700x/7900x/7950x Reviews

Reciever

AMD does well on the performance side; however, we observe scarce IPC improvement of just 3%, which may be combined with clock frequency reaching ~ 5.5 GHz on some cores. That IPC made AMD pull open all available registers, the trade-off being thermal- and energy efficiency. Combined with the new AM5 platforms, you'll now also get access to PCIe Gen 5. 

Guru3D (7950x) Guru3D - 7700x

Inevitably then you will likely see a lot made about it being a disappointing release. But, to me, it feels like a confident, consistent release. You could argue it's maybe not super ambitious, but AMD has got where it is today by always delivering on its Zen promises, and yet again Dr. Su's gang has absolutely done that.

PCGamer (7950x)

In this review we've examined the Ryzen 9 7950X, the company's new flagship featuring a 16-core/32-thread configuration. The chip runs at a base clock of 4.5 GHz and boosts up to 5.7 GHz—an 800 MHz increase over the 5950X. AMD has also increased the TDP from 105 W to 170 W, which brings with it more headroom for boosting to higher clocks, but also increases cooling requirements, more on that later.

TechPowerUp (7950x) TPU - 7700x

However, we can currently state that AMD delivers a better gaming performance than Intel's Core i9-12900K with the Ryzen 9 7900X and the Ryzen 5 7600X. The Intel Core i9-12900K, which is already a year old, will be replaced in the near future, which might completely change the balance of power again. 

NoteBookCheck.net 7900x/7600x Review

I’ll start the conclusion by saying that I think there is a very reasonable debate to be had as to whether both of these processors should have been offered at a TDP step lower than they are. Personally, I appreciate AMD’s decisions to give us pedal-to-the-metal processors that use plenty of power in order to squeeze out every last drop of performance. Fundamentally, this is what Intel has been doing for many generations, albeit to a more extreme level with the most recent chips.

KitGuru (7950x/7700x)

Ryzen 7000 represents an important progression for AMD, reclaiming feature parity with Intel's 12th-gen chips with the addition of integrated graphics on all models and PCIe 5.0 / DDR5 support. These chips are significantly faster than their Ryzen 5000 predecessors too, with the move to DDR5, higher clock speeds and higher power targets all contributing.

EuroGamer 7900x / 7600x Review

• Bump 1

• Reciever changed the title to [Various] AMD Ryzen 7600x/7700x/7950x Review
  • Reciever changed the title to [Various] AMD Ryzen 7600x/7700x/7900x/7950x Reviews

Crossposting from Benchmark thread. My thoughts on the new Zen 4 launch. Thanks for your time.

Okay went down AT, GN and Hardware Unboxed and this is a good chip on many ends with some downsides as well. Overall a platform to act as launchpad for AM5. Given Zen4X3D will come in next year alongside Meteor Lake and Zen 5 in 2024 with new Chipset but same AM5 socket and Intel with Nova Lake or Lunar Lake whatever.

Infinity Fabric and Memory

AMD's IF clock is totally decoupled, this is a huge thing, the older Zen 3 had 1:1:1 ratio for Infinity Fabric clock Fclk, Uclk (Memory Controller IMC), Memory Clock (DRAM) had 3 variables.

Now Zen 4 moves away to IF being totally Auto and UClock : MemClock are now 1:1, just 2 variables only, IF is now totally independent, a.k.a the IODie IF interconnect won't BS crap out like previous Zen processors a.k.a trash USB and other I/O issues. Because the Fclk is totally untouched now, that's my understanding.

So the memory speed is now Auto:1:1. DDR5 6000MHz DRAM kit you get IF at 2000MHz (Auto) : Memory Clock at 2400MHz to 3000MHz : IMC Clock Uclock 2400MHz to 3000MHz. And EXPO DDR5 6000MHz is sweet spot and switching to more speed = 1:2 ratio a memory performance hit. So best is to stick with EXPO and ratio 1 and OC.

Also AMD is not running in Gear 2 like Intel. The slight difference of Intel and AMD is, Intel has Uncore totally unrelated to IMC until CML. But with RKL and ADL somehow the ratio of IMC to DRAM is now Geared. AMD decoupled the IF in similar fashion to CML. Very good thing.

Note, DDR5 is same like Intel DDR5. The JEDEC standard, 4DIMMM DDR5 = not great as we all know. The design itself is like this for DDR5.

IO Die

TSMC6nm from GloFo's horrible 14nm maximum power on the IOD is now heavily reduced this allows to let the Zen 4 CCDs hit max clocks, plus the IF also is now higher speed than Zen 3 as per AMD, and that means low power again but high clock. The IGPU is weak 2CU RDNA2, BUT it even has DP2.0 and HDMI2.1 which both Ada Lovelace RTX40 series doesn't have ROFLMAO. So expect RDNA3 to have DP2.0 and HDMI2.1. Also it has USB C output native as well, great option to be honest. Plus also H264, H265 both decode and encode this means NAS/NUC boxes get a huge win for AMD Zen 4 parts.

Chipset

Improved, esp vs Intel the backplate reinforcement for LGA socket prevents any bend. Speaking about IO the improvements are nice PCIe5.0x16 for PEG on X670E and B650E just like Alder Lake and if manufactures want to get 2x5.0 NVMe. And a lot of I/O options like Z690.

But the issue is as I mentioned here previously already is the downlink PCIe4.0x4 on this round same as X570 basically. 100% with Zen 5 AMD will launch new X770 platform with PCIe5.0 downlink because the re-drivers for PCIe5.0 might be expensive this time as it's not even debuted on HPC/Exascale/Datacenter markets... Xeon is delayed Genoa is not yet released, so overall BOM = high if they mandated PCIe5.0x4 downlink for Chipset.

The daisychain system of Chipsets needs to prove itself. AMD says it allows CPU to stay out of the I/O density and let the chipset handle. Also there's BIOS Flashback at Chipset/CPU level this time. And many do not even care for Bandwidth, they will populate all slots. Unfortunate part is 8xSATA is going away, the chipset is changed a bit and looks like there are barely any 8xSATA boards only ASRock is making them for both Intel and AMD even ASUS dropped. EVGA is another one who adds external SATA controller and add 2X more SATA totaling from 6 to 8. Shame.

CPU

AVX512 beast, flatout there's no competition here 7950X absolutely dominates Intel 11900K totally and 12900K is absent since KS revisions and new 12th gen it is fused off from factory. But AMD is delivering a powerful performance as total Knock out in AVX512, RPCS3 will see superior gains hopefully across all their processors. Plus they are having no AVX Offsets like Intel needs and downclocks the chip to prevent it from overheating because AMD is using 2x256Bit AVX512 units. So no offset nothing just pure performance.

Clockspeed is HUGE boost vs Zen 3, the older chips barely crossed 5GHz this one 16C32T 7950X sits at 5GHz Boost all core. Ultra high performance no BS big little garbage at play. ST boost goes to 5.7GHz (Raptor Lake will have 5.8GHz for it's TVB). But the tradeoff is high temperature and cooling requirement for all Ryzen 7000 Raphael processors. Even 7600X gets to 5.4GHz all core speed.

IPC boost is as per AMD marketing no shenanigans based off the SPEC and Cinebench scores at AT Ryzen 7000 seems to be king of all processors. Gaming performance is just right there, it doesn't absolutely dominate by a huge lead but rather beats out 12900K in some and loses out in some. 7600X on the other hand consistently beat out 5800X flatout, 6C12T > 8C16T this is what I wanted to see from RKL when Intel went castrating 2C4T off but it did not work out. However AMD does it here. I can see their 7900X totally beating out 5950X across all workloads even if Zen 3 has 4C8T more. 5800X3D however still stays champ in many gaming benches lmao.

TJmax is now 95C max for Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 Raphael but 115C is their OC limit. Looks like the tolerance of new TSMC 5N is very high. Too hot CPU. 250W now, AMD kicked tree hugging BS to curb. I like it. Let the x86 processor do its work and not castrate it. But ofc it's a bit on the heavy side of things seeing a CPU run at 90C all the time. The voltage is however very normal 1.0-1.2v now, unlike the Zen 3 maybe that's a good thing at-least you do not have high voltage AND high temps.

Also ASUS has SP rating for AMD Ryzen 7000 as well, does it even matter when the CPUs are too hot ? I think the top end stack of R9 will always be high SP rating.

Final Thoughts

No biglittle BS drama. Full proper cores and MT performance is very high, the 7600X is a killer chip. They managed to fix a lot of technical issues, some of them needs to be seen on how it fares in public hands (platform stability).  Chipset bandwidth is a bummer. But I do not think many even give a single F. I do not think many even damn know about the Chipset DMI and Lane bifurcation on the mobos, if they did HEDT would not have been dead.

Cooling AMD axed all that Power and Temp nonsense and let the CPU stretch it's legs properly just like Intel. BUT downside being, unlike their old CPUs these need real beefy cooling esp the top end parts.

Just like Intel i9 series Ryzen R9 needs a big AIO cooler to maximize it's clocks and performance however on AMD side now even R6 demands high end cooling as it also hits 90C+ on an AIO. That is somewhat problematic for Air cooler people and maybe those ITX owners. So basically now you get entry level you must get a big cooler you have lost the choice of going cheaper cooler with cheaper SKU. Intel is not like this an i7 12700K won't be this hot as 7700X or i5 12600K won't be as hot as 7600X, that's something.

Overclocking is probably non existent and dead given how hot the processors are, barely we can push I guess. How long can we even push when it already hits 95C out of box that too on a 360mm AIO, like Intel 11th and 12th gen this is also very very dense on heat. But it's basically not possible to OC much on this platform unlike Intel, but with Intel if you push it goes over 300W but the temps are controllable here we cannot... Memory also is also dependent on the 1:1 ratio modes, so if you hit 7000MHz the ratio will drop and we will have to see how it fares. With Intel it's all Gear 2. Pay more and try more and get HWBot points but nothing worth real performance boost  will be coming out of DDR5 in this cusp of it's introduction tbh from both camps.

ST and MT performance Ryzen 7000 (Raphael) Zen 4 design is the new IPC king. MT  like always AMD parts had extreme MT performance. Maybe Raptor Lake will match MT by a hair and beat on OC at extra 100W and some fun OCing, but that's it I do not see Intel beating out by a huge margin on that Intel 7 (10nm node) anymore on MT. I think RPL will beat this on ST with higher L2 and DLVR and clocks.

Gaming is just not a strong suite for top end 7950X but for 7700X and 7600X it is so it's an addon bonus you do not lose anything in gaming but as a total package you get a good strong gaming processor applies to entire stack. In RPCS3 I can see these totally dominate due to AVX512 without any offsets. EDIT - RPCS3 still Intel leads lol, I cannot understand how is it possible. TPU has it covered for RDR RPCS3 emulation.

High platform cost, X670E segmentation, high CPU cost like Intel as expected to be honest from DDR5 and PCIe5.0. And less % growth vs Ryzen 5000 is also another thing. So essentially all the Zen 3 owners have basically not much to even look at the growth and need to upgrade. But the IODie itself is a win now, that crappy USB issues should be gone from my understanding.

Future Proofing

New buyers should wait for next year and get them when price cuts as it doesn't make much worth right now same for GPUs as well. The platform is a new launch and has longevity upto Zen 5 vs Intel's 2 CPU/socket system, LGA1700 is done once Raptor Lake launches so even if 13600K adds more E cores the platform is gone and max is 13900K while AMD Ryzen 7600X means they can upgrade to 2-3 more SKUs but the price is they need to pay more to AMD than Intel Z690 / Z790 platform.

• Thumb Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Helios (WIP)

i9 10900K // Trident Z Royal C16 4000MHz B-Die 32GB // ASUS Maximus XIII APEX // Noctua DH15 Chromax // RTX3090Ti FE // Alienware 360Hz G-Sync Ultimate IPS FHD // Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Titanium // Fractal Meshify 2XL

Ethereal Ranger

Alienware 17 R1 // i7 4710MQ // 16GB DDR3L 2133MHz // 980M 860M loaner // Windows 8.1

The $699 Ryzen 9 7950X is 5% faster in gaming than Intel’s Core i9-12900K, but this chip is really designed for the productivity-minded. The 7950X was 44% faster than the Core i9-12900K in our multi-threaded tests, making it the most powerful desktop PC chip currently available. The Zen 4 architecture also closes the gap with Alder Lake in single-threaded applications, addressing a particularly glaring deficiency against Alder Lake.

5% faster than 12900K in games. But beaten by AMDs last years castrated 3D v-cashe chips. Oh'well. Can't offer everything.

It does well in 3DM Fire strike physics but fail in the same sub test in 3DM Time spy. What's that? Because AMD found it ideal that the new chips can only do SSE3 instructions for this bench.

image.png.45a2e071f72e105417ae46a52ad62296.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-ryzen-5-7600x-cpu-review

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_9_7950x_review,21.html

image.png.cfb4323ef28cf59255ad2b94c2e08668.png

Amd Ryzen Zen4 overclock.......

For our manual overclocking efforts, we were a bit more ambitious. We initially shot for a lofty 5.5GHz all-core overclock at 1.35v, but we couldn't get the system stable. At this speed, the system booted, but the chip's temp would quickly shoot to 95°C as expected and under sustained load our rig would shut down. So, we backed the voltage and multiplier down incrementally and eventually settled into a 5.3GHz all-core overclock at only 1.3v, while also running the memory at DDR5-6000.
image.png.71227d2a6d6ee9e2a9c514d964a02c2b.png
https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-7900x-and-7950x-cpu-review?page=6

LOOOL.....
image.thumb.png.d795364a82df4dd8d52e5d638f5515ad.png
https://wccftech.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-ryzen-7-7700x-cpu-review-a-new-era-of-zen-begins-today/10/

And I'm quite sure the gamers on the Red side will say temps in gaming is more than OK sufficient even if the chips will warm up their room in an hot summer day, LOOL
image.thumb.png.c9e4b779506e68b0792c726b05443a67.png

I hope AMD will have a success with 7000 series Ryzen chips so they can push Intel to the brink regarding delivering performance/normal prices forwards. Only then the competition will works as it should. 

Edit. 

REVIEW ROUNDUP (from several review web sites)

AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen4 “Raphael” Desktop CPU Review Roundup
https://videocardz.com/138525/amd-ryzen-7000-zen4-raphael-desktop-cpu-review-roundup

AMD's Achilles heel.... The old and cheaper locked down 5800X3D. What's the point?

image.thumb.png.959bf8d02cff433dae0ee6b38444f12a.png

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/review-ryzen-9-7950x-processor-with-asrock-x670e-taichi-motherboard.444757/page-4#post-6054814

• Bump 1

"The Killer"  ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | 14900KS | 4090 HOF + 20 other graphics cards | 32GB DDR5 | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500 Watt | Second PSU - Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold 750W (For total of 2250W Power) | Corsair Obsidian 1000D | Custom Cooling | Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27" Monitors |

Papusan @ HWBOTTeam PremaMod @ HWBOT | Papusan @ YouTube Channel

2 hours ago, Reciever said:

The X3D showing some strong numbers there in certain titles. Makes you wonder how the 7xxx will behave under similar circumstances, were those already confirmed or was that speculation @electrosoft

Those 5800X3D numbers are confirmed. It is just such a strong gamer CPU. With all that cache you can literally grab a dirt cheap X570 or B550 motherboard, 2 sticks of 3200 whatever and have a blazing system performing pretty much as good as it is going to get.

Looking at the gains from a 5800X -> 5800X3D, it just makes you salivate thinking what a 7600X3D (or higher tier) AMD chip will bring.

So many refinements and improvements (as noted by @Ashtrix) overall to boot even before we get to that point next year.

• Thumb Up 1

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 980 1TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Samsung G7 43" 4k mLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel: i5-12400 | Asus Prime B660 | PowerColor HellHound 7900XTX | 32GB DDR4  G.Skill 3333 |  512GB M.2 | Gamdias | BenQ 32" 4k

PCWorld did the benchmarks I wanted to see, comparing power efficiency with the 65W/105W Eco Mode settings in Ryzen Master.  Comparing the 7950X to the 5950X in Cinebench n-thread, the results for the 7950X were:

65W - 12% faster than 5950X (81% more efficient)
105W - 34% faster than 5950X (34% more efficient)
170W - 48% faster than 5950X (9% less efficient)

They also found single-digit differences in gaming performance in Eco mode, not surprisingly since the GPU can also be the limiting factor, and gaming is lower-threaded, and thus more likely to still be at high clocks even in a limited power envelope.

So I am favorable impressed.  I didn't really want a 170W CPU, between expected higher power prices in the future and heat in the summer.  But being able to use 40% less power and still get 12% better performance as the previous-gen, or the same power and 34% better performance?  That's a big boost.  And while that is one benchmark, the 65W figure is actually better than AMD's advertised efficiency gains.

I'll probably go with a 7700X, but maybe a 7900X, paired with a B650 board once those are available.  Grab 32 GB of DDR5 and an NVME TLC SSD and call it a day.  Stick with my RX 480 for now, unless GPU prices crash in the next month, then maybe swap it for an RX 6600, which seems to be the sweet spot of price:performance:efficiency.  Keep my current case and PSU.

I think the CPU pricing is fair on the whole, too.  Not quite Ryzen 3000 levels on hex/octo cores, but equal or lower than Ryzen 5000, and quite competitive versus all Ryzen generations for 12/16 cores, all with another nice leap forward in efficiency and performance.  Mobo pricing could be problematic for X670, and DDR5 isn't at parity yet, but unlike nVIDIA, it doesn't feel like AMD is price-gouging on their own hardware.  We'll see if that holds true for RDNA3 come November, but I'll take this is a good sign that it might.

And sure, Rocket Lake might launch before B650, but even if it does slightly better than Zen 4 this fall, I'd still rather go AM5 for the platform support.  Swap out to Zen 6 or Zen 7 in a few years and keep everything else humming along for a decade, why wouldn't I go that route?

---

Edit: KitGuru also did some good metrics on this.  They found that in CineBench, the 7950 in 65W Eco mode scores 334.9 points per Watt; in standard mode it scores 179.1 points per Watt; Intel's best entry is the 12700K at 142.4 points per Watt, and the 12900K scores 105.7 points per Watt.  If you want efficiency in performance-oriented tasks, the 7950 in Eco mode crushes the competition.  And since that's essentially what I'm looking for... the only choice is which Zen 4 model do I want?

• Thumb Up 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)

Yes really impressed about that eco mode aswell.

Dont want a reactor at home😂, so that 105 w looks sweet and its about 34% faster as the 5950x is great. Ill go for the 7900x or wait for the 3d version next year. Until then the prices foe the mb will go down for sure. They are way too high right now.. 600 euros for a decent x670...

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

Asus Zephyrus G15 (Ryzen 9 6900HS + RTX3080)

27 minutes ago, cylix said:

Yes really impressed about that eco mode aswell.

Dont want a reactor at home😂, so that 105 w looks sweet and its about 34% faster as the 5950x is great. Ill go for the 7900x or wait for the 3d version next year. Until then the prices foe the mb will go down for sure. They are way too high right now.. 600 euros for a decent x670...

i know right, ugh....what are they thinking? but yeah, its the early adopter milking tax, which im gonna have to pay up i guess. currently glued to the EU shops and checking my phone like every 10 minutes to finally see the cpus and mobos go live 😛 

• Bump 1

Mine: Hyperion "Titan God of Heat, Heavenly Light, Power" (2022-24)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

My Lady's: Clevo NH55JNNQ "Alfred" (2022-24)
Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

1 hour ago, jaybee83 said:

i know right, ugh....what are they thinking? but yeah, its the early adopter milking tax, which im gonna have to pay up i guess. currently glued to the EU shops and checking my phone like every 10 minutes to finally see the cpus and mobos go live 😛 

Hahaha, yes when the itch is there :D. thanks for taking one for the team 😄.

7950X3D| Zotac 4090 AMP Extreme Airo| MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi| Lian Li Galahad 360 V2| 32GB Kingston Renegade RGBZ 6000|Kingston KC3000 2TB| Fury Renegade 2TB|Samsung 970 Evo 1TB| Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo| Corsair HX1500i| Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo

35 minutes ago, cylix said:

Hahaha, yes when the itch is there :D. thnaks for taking one for the team 😄.

LOL welp someone has to do the "dirty work" i guess 🤣🤘 aight, just a few more minutes...

waiting.jpg

edit: BAM! ordered 7950X with Mindfactory at MSRP woooooooo!

now for the mobo....

• Bump 4

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (custom TG IHS) / Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme / MSI Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim X / Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-8200 2x24 GB / Seagate Firecuda 530 4 TB / 5x Samsung 860 Evo 4 TB / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (Push/Pull 6x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 intake) / Seasonic TX-1600 W Titanium / Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 TG (3x Arctic P12 A-RGB intake / 4x Arctic P14 A-RGB exhaust / 1x Arctic P14 A-RGB RAM cooling) / Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240 Hz / Ducky One 3 Daybreak Fullsize Cherry MX Brown / Corsair M65 Ultra RGB / PDP Afterglow Wave Black

Sharp LQ156M1JW03 FHD matte 15.6" IGZO 8 bit @248 Hz / Intel Core i5 12600 / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti / Mushkin Redline DDR4-3200 2x32 GB / Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB / Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB / Intel AX201 WIFI 6+BT 5.2 / Win 11 Pro Phoenix Lite OS / 230 W PSU powered by Prema Mod!

Nicee, congrats bro. From the locals :D. Mindfactory are good😀

They habe two mobos MSI wifi Pro and the Aorus Elite x670 aswell, the Gigabyte comes with a 40 Euro Cashback

5 minutes ago, cylix said:

Nicee, congrats bro. From the locals :D. Mindfactory are good😀

They habe two mobos MSI wifi Pro and the Aorus Elite x670 aswell, the Gigabyte comes with a 40 Euro Cashback

yeah i checked their mobo section right away to see if i can bundle it up with the CPU. unfortunately, they dont seem to carry any Asus boards yet? hmmmm

• Thumb Up 1

You can have this one :D, wtf is this price 😁

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/X670E/dp/B0BF576T27/ref=sr_1_4?crid=28JHOX6ADMQ7P&keywords=x670+mainboard+am5&qid=1664284588&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjY0IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=x67%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-4

Leaving the jokes aside. 🙂

What AIO are you going to run with the 7950? until the bare die from Roman comes? 😄

14 minutes ago, cylix said:

You can have this one :D, wtf is this price 😁

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/X670E/dp/B0BF576T27/ref=sr_1_4?crid=28JHOX6ADMQ7P&keywords=x670+mainboard+am5&qid=1664284588&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjY0IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=x67%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-4

Leaving the jokes aside. 🙂

What AIO are you going to run with the 7950? until the bare die from Roman comes? 😄

wanna hear something hilarious? thats the board i got 🤣 but for 230€ cheaper with Alternate 😛

i got the AF II 420, hoping that should be "sufficient" to keep that beast cool haha. ill switch out the stock ARGB fans with 6 Noctua IPPC 3000rpm fans and use the stock fans for added case cooling instead. should be sweet! btw, i think its time i open a Build thread 😉 

• Thumb Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Bump 1

Hahahah, thats a crazy board, nicely done 😄 .

Yes hope that enough cooling  for the beast. But i think in the end we will all get to bare die  with Zen 4.

Yes do that, post everything if you can so we the future buyers can see what are we going to expect 👍

• Thumb Up 1

19 minutes ago, jaybee83 said:

wanna hear something hilarious? thats the board i got 🤣 but for 230€ cheaper with Alternate 😛

i got the AF II 420, hoping that should be "sufficient" to keep that beast cool haha. ill switch out the stock ARGB fans with 6 Noctua IPPC 3000rpm fans and use the stock fans for added case cooling instead. should be sweet! btw, i think its time i open a Build thread 😉 

If you end up making a build thread we may make that a sub-forum under the desktop section for future journeys :)  

• Bump 1

16 minutes ago, cylix said:

Hahahah, thats a crazy board, nicely done 😄 .

Yes hope that enough cooling  for the beast. But i think in the end we will all get to bare die  with Zen 4.

Yes do that, post everything if you can so we the future buyers can see what are we going to expect 👍

btw man thx for the headsup on the cashback promotion! turns out i get 100€ cashback on the Asus board, NICE! ill put that straight to the 4090 lol

delid pretty likely for me, bare die not sure yet. for that ill likely have to switch to custom loop. however, if i can still mount the AiO then itll be indeed a no-brainer.

ok cool man, gimme some time to write up the OP with all the components and some pics / reasoning for my buying decisions 🙂 

Just now, Reciever said:

If you end up making a build thread we may make that a sub-forum under the desktop section for future journeys 🙂

lulz, my own little sub-forum, i like that idea 😄 as mentioned above, gimme some time to whip up something good.

Just now, jaybee83 said:

btw man thx for the headsup on the cashback promotion! turns out i get 100€ cashback on the Asus board, NICE! ill put that straight to the 4090 lol

delid pretty likely for me, bare die not sure yet. for that ill likely have to switch to custom loop. however, if i can still mount the AiO then itll be indeed a no-brainer.

ok cool man, gimme some time to write up the OP with all the components and some pics / reasoning for my buying decisions 🙂 

lulz, my own little sub-forum, i like that idea 😄 as mentioned above, gimme some time to whip up something good.

No rush, Im sure we all have a billion and a half things to wrap up before we have some private cave man fun time :P  

1 minute ago, Reciever said:

No rush, Im sure we all have a billion and a half things to wrap up before we have some private cave man fun time 😛

dude, amen to that.

3 hours ago, Reciever said:

If you end up making a build thread we may make that a sub-forum under the desktop section for future journeys :)  

That's a good idea to have a sub forum for build threads. They were (and are) one of my favorite parts of ole NBR and other forums where people document their whole process building out or doing outlier projects (like @srs2236 and his 3080 mod for his laptop).

Electrosoft Prime: 7950X3D | MSI X670E Carbon  | MSI Suprim X Liquid 4090 | AC LF II 420 | G.Skill 6000 A-Die 2x32GB | Samsung 980 1TB | EVGA 1600w P2 | Phanteks Ethroo Pro | Samsung G7 43" 4k mLED

Eurocom Raptor X15 | 12900k | Nvidia RTX 3070ti | 15.6" 1080p 240hz | Kingston 3200 32GB (2x16GB) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB Heatsink Edition
Heath: i9-12900k | EVGA CLC 280 | Asus Strix Z690 D4 | Asus Strix 3080 | 32GB DDR4 2x16GB B-Die 4000  | WD Black SN850 512GB |  EVGA DG-77 | Samsung G7 32" 144hz 32"

MelMel: i5-12400 | Asus Prime B660 | PowerColor HellHound 7900XTX | 32GB DDR4  G.Skill 3333 |  512GB M.2 | Gamdias | BenQ 32" 4k

4 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

LOL welp someone has to do the "dirty work" i guess 🤣🤘 aight, just a few more minutes...

waiting.jpg

edit: BAM! ordered 7950X with Mindfactory at MSRP woooooooo!

now for the mobo....

4 hours ago, jaybee83 said:

That's awesome bro, congrats! Looking forward to the build out, pics and results!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, electrosoft said:

That's a good idea to have a sub forum for build threads. They were (and are) one of my favorite parts of ole NBR and other forums where people document their whole process building out or doing outlier projects (like @srs2236 and his 3080 mod for his laptop).

Yep, the release/review season has pointed out some holes in the forum that I am now aware of and also trying to come up with better solutions that doesnt completely ruin the simplified UI. Luckily not many will be buying much until after release and reviews so for now I am focusing on revamping the news and its visibility without cluttering the main page, Build logs should be simpler in comparison but I also have another project that I have been admittedly sleeping on for a bit since work got busy.

Congratulations on that 7950 purchase!

The cheapest AM5 mobo at my local MicroCenter is $260, with a $20 discount if you buy it at the same time as a CPU, so effectively $240.  I paid $130 (before a $20 MIR, which was honored) for a Z68 mobo back in 2011.  So X670/X670E is expensive, even after being adjusted for inflation.

I'm thinking wait till B650 and put the savings towards more SSD, as those have come down nicely in price.  $165 for a 2 TB PCIe 4 TLC SSD is not bad at all, I think I'd rather put the mobo savings towards more fast storage.

• Bump 1

Desktop: Core i5 2500k "Sandy Bridge" | RX 480 | 32 GB DDR3 | 1 TB 850 Evo + 512 GB NVME + HDDs | Seasonic 650W | Noctua Fans | 8.1 Pro

Laptop: MSI Alpha 15 | Ryzen 5800H | Radeon 6600M | 64 GB DDR4 | 4 TB TLC SSD | 10 Home

Laptop history: MSI GL63 (2018) | HP EliteBook 8740w (acq. 2014) | Dell Inspiron 1520 (2007)