NotebookTalk

Sandy Bridge

Twitter is rebranding to "X".  Tweets are to be called "x's".  The logo change has happened already but it looks like the transition will be gradual and not all at once.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/24/23804973/twitter-x-logo-brand-replacement

How much of Twitter's remaining value is the "brand" which is now getting tossed out?

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal)

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 16.2" 3456×2234 120 Hz mini-LED VRR display
  • Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Also — iPhone 12 Pro 512GB, Apple Watch Series 8

Dell Precision 7560 (work)

• Intel Xeon W-11955M ("Tiger Lake")
    • 8×2.6 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo, hyperthreading ("Willow Cove")
  • 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
    • 512GB system drive (Micron 2300)
    • 4TB additional storage (Sabrent Rocket Q4)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
  • 15.6" 3940×2160 IPS display
  • Intel Wi-Fi AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.3)
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Precision 7770, 7530, 7510, M4800, M6700
  • Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Inspiron 1720, 5150
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Now maybe facing this lol++

Microsoft owns the trademark to the letter "X" in a variety of classes, including computer software, computer hardware, and telecommunications. This means that Microsoft has the exclusive right to use the letter "X" in connection with these products and services.

The trademark was first registered in 1994, and it has been renewed several times since then. It is currently valid until 2034.

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/07/25/microsoft-x-trademark-twitter-rename/

• Thumb Up 1

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

17 minutes ago, 6730b said:

No doubt, twitter is being demolished :O)

The police stopped this sign demolition, leaving the letters "er" in place for now ...

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/24/23140317/twitter-sign-sf-hq-removal-demolition-police

1568072871.jpg

10 minutes ago, 6730b said:

Microsoft owns the trademark to the letter "X" in a variety of classes, including computer software, computer hardware, and telecommunications. This means that Microsoft has the exclusive right to use the letter "X" in connection with these products and services.

Saw that a Japanese band has a local trademark on "X".

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/25/1189902006/what-will-twitter-be-named-in-japan-since-x-japan-is-already-taken-by-a-rock-ban

Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023 (personal) • Dell Precision 7560 (work) • Full specs in spoiler block below
Info posts (Dell) — Dell Precision key postsDell driver RSS feeds • Dell Fan Management — override fan behavior
Info posts (Windows) — Turbo boost toggle • The problem with Windows 11 • About Windows 10 LTSC

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Oh, apparently Microsoft also trademarked "X" a few years back and "social networking" is on the list of uses.

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87980831&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

(I saw this on a news article stating that Facebook/Meta owns this trademark, but the documents all point to Microsoft ...?)

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

Microsoft should just ask for 44 billion dollars to use it. Ha ha.. Musk is a dumbass. 

• Haha 1

Workstation - Dell XPS 8940 - desktop creative powerhouse

Mobile Workstation - Dell inspiron 5406 2 in 1 - mobile creative beast

Wifey's Notebook - Dell inspiron 3169 - Little gem for our businesses

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 2 weeks later...

Err, apparently X will pay your legal bills if you face some kind of unfair treatment from your employer because of something that you post on X.  Those employees that Musk fired for criticizing him on Twitter can make a claim, right?  Anyway, a guy who doesn't pay his office rent is totally trustworthy.

• Thumb Up 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

• M2 Max
    • 4 efficiency cores
    • 8 performance cores
    • 38-core Apple GPU
  • 96GB LPDDR5-6400
  • 8TB SSD
  • macOS 14 "Sonoma"
  • 99.6Wh battery
  • 1080p webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

• 64GB DDR4-3200 ECC
  • NVIDIA RTX A2000 4GB
  • Storage:
  • 95Wh battery
  • 720p IR webcam
  • Fingerprint reader

Previous

• Dell Latitude E6520
  • Dell Latitude CPi

• 5 weeks later...

lol

X owner Elon Musk is threatening to sue the Anti-Defamation League for defamation, claiming that the nonprofit organization’s statements about rising hate speech on the social media platform have torpedoed X’s advertising revenue.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/05/tech/elon-musk-adl-lawsuit/index.html

• Thumb Up 1

Dell Precision 5540 w10 ltsc 2019 + O&O shutup, Dell E7440 w8.1, Tosh w8.1, HP i5 desktop w10 ltsc + O&O shutup
Stand with ua.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"The information obtained revealed a chaotic environment at the company that raised serious questions about whether and how Musk and other leaders were ensuring X Corp.'s compliance with the 2022 Administrative Order,"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/us-government-slams-musk-in-court-filing-describing-chaotic-environment-at-x/

Stand with ua.jpg

2 hours ago, 6730b said:

"The information obtained revealed a chaotic environment at the company that raised serious questions about whether and how Musk and other leaders were ensuring X Corp.'s compliance with the 2022 Administrative Order,"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/us-government-slams-musk-in-court-filing-describing-chaotic-environment-at-x/

I dont know that the US government would be a worthwhile reference

On 9/15/2023 at 3:54 AM, Reciever said:

I dont know that the US government would be a worthwhile reference

Lol, of course they got their own scheme running under the horizon.

But regarding consumer practices, I'd think they start to do a pretty good job, imagine if there was no one with real power caring and getting them to court. F.ex. at the end of the bleeping article there's a roundup of Google's location violations and condemnations.

The fines $$$'s probably means nothing to Google, Musk, Apple, Zuckerboy, TikTok etc, the real result is being forced into changes = some benefit for the general public. And updated standards and requirements regarding current and future privacy laws. Particularly the EU seems to have successfully awakened a good dose of "fear of god" inside certain companies.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-pays-93m-to-settle-android-tracking-lawsuit-in-california/

• Thumb Up 1

Stand with ua.jpg

1 hour ago, 6730b said:

Lol, of course they got their own scheme running under the horizon.

But regarding consumer practices, I'd think they start to do a pretty good job, imagine if there was no one with real power caring and getting them to court. F.ex. at the end of the bleeping article there's a roundup of Google's location violations and condemnations.

The fines $$$'s probably means nothing to Google, Musk, Apple, Zuckerboy, TikTok etc, the real result is being forced into changes = some benefit for the general public. And updated standards and requirements regarding current and future privacy laws. Particularly the EU seems to have successfully awakened a good dose of "fear of god" inside certain companies.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-pays-93m-to-settle-android-tracking-lawsuit-in-california/

Thats not the Federal Government, that is the State of California right? Beyond the normal motif of a healthy amount of skepticism for the Government, add in that now  they have commentary on how Twitter is run after the Twitter Files are released by a number of reputable Journalists while also having been found guilty of effectively attempting to turn a number of these social media platforms into state actors via threats of regulation or heavy handed suggestions. The repercussions of such a decision is yet to be felt since this was fairly recent. 

Now following the Federal Government suing for "discrimination of not looking at asylee's and refugees at SpaceX" a company where one might very well need a certain degree of clearance from the Government, which will by definition discriminate. Since I had to undergo that same process myself for merely touching computers that may eventually be touched by government employee's to which the process was several months followed by multiple interviews of myself and those in my circle by the FBI, I cant imagine the clearance needed for working in a company where the main focus is to build and launch rockets.

Follow that with the growing tensions over Starlink, where the Federal Government wants to grant cart blanche to Ukraine its access, but seemingly doesnt want to pay for it, nor actually manage when and where its use is intended. Effectively doging responsibility for such decisions and leaving it to a private actor. Since this War has been going on for a bit now, they should have put terms in the recent contract with Starlink that the US Gov't would have control over its services in Ukraine for the duration of the war. It seems like that wasnt done, cant say for certain since obviously the terms of that contract are not open to the public. Please dont mistake this as being for or against the War in Ukraine. 

Im aware that there is definitely a cult of personality surrounding Musk, and that he is far from the image that some paint for him. It reads like retaliation to me, but perhaps I am missing some additional details. Obviously Im not an arbiter truth and those that either in person or content I consume all have their own opinions injected to how such subjects are disseminated.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Don’t advertise. Go f*** yourself”

The mad genius, seems madness steadily takes the upperhand.
What next, run for president? 😆 Could be an interesting show (would be 2 ego-nutcases in the race, tearing each other apart).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/11/elon-musk-on-x-antisemitism-controversy-dont-advertise-go-f-yourself/

• Thumb Up 1

Stand with ua.jpg

6 hours ago, 6730b said:

"Don’t advertise. Go f*** yourself”

The mad genius, seems madness steadily takes the upperhand.
What next, run for president? 😆 Could be an interesting show (would be 2 ego-nutcases in the race, tearing each other apart).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/11/elon-musk-on-x-antisemitism-controversy-dont-advertise-go-f-yourself/

I thought it was hilarious, though I got that piece of news from Glenn Greenwald 

14 hours ago, 6730b said:

What next, run for president? 😆

You laugh, but I can totally see him eventually retreating to SA to become a dictator there instead. Surely, this must be plan C, after America and Mars. America would be a bit hard without a change to the constitution, but I wouldn't completely rule that attempt out ;)

• Thumb Up 1

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

he does business. hes the best in the world at it and only behind warren buffet. he will make mistakes all humans do but as it stands hes the best at what he does and after seeing how big tesla got in such a short time it wouldn't suprise me if his actions helped him in the long run, people are tired of the system and eventually the rapture will come. alot of scientists and revolutionary thinkers called charles darwin a fool and even drew a picture of him as half gorilla, if one things for certain death taxes and change are the three main guarantees in life and ill add a fourth. history will repeat itself. \

elon musk is a genius, no one on nbr is even close, yet we like to view ourselves in high regard, but lets all do a reality check and draw the conclusion he didn't just randomly have an outburst it is planned. he wants that KOOL image and the fact that he has a leather jacket and backwards bandana around his neck in some appearances only compounds this. leave the guy alone. hes rich because of good fortune and lions share his mind.

9ae7cd9ff44f184afa21989eeeef851a.jpg[/url]

ZEUS-COMING SOON

Omen 16 2021

Zenbook 14 oled

Vivobook 15x oled

11 hours ago, Etern4l said:

You laugh, but I can totally see him eventually retreating to SA to become a dictator there instead. Surely, this must be plan C, after America and Mars. America would be a bit hard without a change to the constitution, but I wouldn't completely rule that attempt out ;)

The guy reminds me of John McAfee, seems to share some similar psychological (psychiatric?) 'features and assets' 😃 McAfee did try a US presidential run, but still remained sane enough to not try to transfer humanity to mars (or whatever Musk is secretly dreaming of) 😃

• Thumb Up 1

Stand with ua.jpg

11 hours ago, Etern4l said:

Hasn't stopped some actors from running from what I understand. 

12 hours ago, Reciever said:

Hasn't stopped some actors from running from what I understand. 

AS? He is not really running, is he? The problem is not that he has "only" been a citizen for 40 years or so, it’s just that I can’t really see him addressing the nation properly. “My fellov Amerhicahns”… 

But we digress.

"We're rushing towards a cliff, but the closer we get, the more scenic the views are."

-- Max Tegmark

AI: Major Emerging Existential Threat To Humanity

6 hours ago, Etern4l said:

AS? He is not really running, is he? The problem is not that he has "only" been a citizen for 40 years or so, it’s just that I can’t really see him addressing the nation properly. “My fellov Amerhicahns”… 

But we digress.

No. So as to not derail it's a YouTube political commentator of the progressive persuasion. 

"Elon Musk said the account of right-wing extremist Alex Jones would be reinstated on X -\- The move from the billionaire Musk, who has promoted conspiracy theories himself and elevated a number of extremist voices since taking over the platform, is likely to impact X even further as companies distance themselves from the troubled platform, which has seen hate speech and conspiracy theories surge in the wake of his decisions."

Yeah, free speach!! Like in another time, Musk sure would have reinstated Heinrich Himmler.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/09/business/alex-jones-restored-x-elon-musk-poll/index.html

Stand with ua.jpg